Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

My only real complaint is that the visuals look more like cutscenes in a video game (like this should be a He-Man based MOBA or something) than they do an actual animated series. Otherwise this seems like it could be ok

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Some more info straight from Mattel:

https://corporate.mattel.com/news/m...on-september-16

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

It looks like a fun kids show and IMO that's what He-Man should be

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I have some minor complaints-some of the designs don't quite work for me and I'm not AS fond of the aesthetic overhaul here in comparison to what they did with "Princesses of Power"-but honestly, this worked for me genuinely well, in ways I honestly wasn't expecting.

The more overtly Superhero Good Masters VS. Evil Masters conceit, wherein both sides have "normal" identities that transform into the more familiar Super Modes, especially strikes me as an interesting concept that works from and expands upon the iconic Adam/He-Man dynamic.

The animation does have its limitations, but the overall look is really strong, the cast and characters all seem very fun, and it feels like the first honest-to-God REINVENTION of the series that actually seems to meaningfully flow from the original (as opposed to "New Adventures" just sorta plopping He-Man and Skeletor into "Star Wars") in a way that I genuinely appreciate.

I'm excited to see if it manages to work, and I'm honestly glad to see both it AND "Revelations" existing side by side.

Has any info on the voice cast been confirmed yet (that is definitely Antony Del Rio as Man-At-Arms but I’m not sure about the rest)?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

That looks very much like a phone game I wouldn't install.

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.

moths posted:

That looks very much like a phone game I wouldn't install.

I was thinking a gaming PC with to much RGB.

side_burned fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Aug 19, 2021

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The current like/dislike ratio on the trailer:

Dislikes: 2.1 K

Sounds about par for the course for this franchise (and I’m sure some fans are currently bitching about the changes the show made like always)

Did people throw this much of a hissy fit over the 2002 series or did it mainly start around SPoP (though I’d argue that New Adventures was even more of a departure since it literally stripped away everything except Skeletor and He-Man himself)?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

We also have a cast list now:

https://www.animationmagazine.net/streaming/first-look-mattel-returns-to-eternia-with-he-man-and-the-masters-of-the-universe-on-netflix/

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Larryb posted:

Sounds about par for the course for this franchise (and I’m sure some fans are currently bitching about the changes the show made like always)

Did people throw this much of a hissy fit over the 2002 series or did it mainly start around SPoP (though I’d argue that New Adventures was even more of a departure since it literally stripped away everything except Skeletor and He-Man himself)?

I recall somewhat that ‘02 He-Man was just as divisive and looked upon askance in its time as well and has been Overton Window’d into being “a good He-Man show that, I a True He-Man Fan adore and respect” by virtue of 19 years of time between it and now, a new new He-Man show (and a newer new He-Man show) coming along to act as a heatsink for it, and because basically no one talked about it in its time, so The Discourse around it is shaped by whatever people want it to be now.

I watched the Power of Greyskull documentary on Netflix last week and when it go to the 02 series it was just like “we thought were doing pretty good, but no one was watching it or buying to the toys, so we got cancelled.” If the internet of 2021 existed in 2002, people would have thrown a poo poo fit over it.

As for CGI He-Man… eh. It looks interesting. Not sure what to make of the art style, but it’s doing enough weird and intriguing things with the story and characters that I might check it out. Robo-Orko has me over the moon.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Griffin Newman, if you’re reading this, I’m sorry but Revelations Orko is now merely my second favourite Orko.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

nine-gear crow posted:

Griffin Newman, if you’re reading this, I’m sorry but Revelations Orko is now merely my second favourite Orko.

And he’s voiced by Tom Kenny to boot

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Jesus Christ He-Man, what the gently caress is wrong with your arms :barf:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Larryb posted:

And he’s voiced by Tom Kenny to boot

Surprised they went with Clone Wars Narrator Voice Tom Kenny when the Sponge Bob voice was right there and might fit better, but I’m guessing the more mature-sounding voice is probably a characterization choice. From the look of the promo shots and the trailer, everyone in this show is going to be some degree of badass.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
I'm not particular fond of this look or style but it's not really for me.

It's to get kids into the fandom and that's not a bad thing, we need a variety of stuff for various people.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Apart from the admittedly off-putting visual style everything else that’s been presented to us regarding the show actually seems pretty interesting (and it’s got quite the solid voice cast to boot). I’d say that’s more than enough for me to at least give it a fair shot.

I wonder if there’s going to be any She-Ra content in this series, and if so I wouldn’t mind a few of the SPoP cast reprising their roles even if they wind up playing completely different versions of the characters (in particular I want Adora and Hordak’s VAs back)

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

nine-gear crow posted:

I recall somewhat that ‘02 He-Man was just as divisive and looked upon askance in its time as well and has been Overton Window’d into being “a good He-Man show that, I a True He-Man Fan adore and respect” by virtue of 19 years of time between it and now, a new new He-Man show (and a newer new He-Man show) coming along to act as a heatsink for it, and because basically no one talked about it in its time, so The Discourse around it is shaped by whatever people want it to be now.

I watched the Power of Greyskull documentary on Netflix last week and when it go to the 02 series it was just like “we thought were doing pretty good, but no one was watching it or buying to the toys, so we got cancelled.” If the internet of 2021 existed in 2002, people would have thrown a poo poo fit over it.

As for CGI He-Man… eh. It looks interesting. Not sure what to make of the art style, but it’s doing enough weird and intriguing things with the story and characters that I might check it out. Robo-Orko has me over the moon.
What the hell was so controversial about the '02 He-Man?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Panfilo posted:

Aside from maybe them giving Skeletor a backstory no clue.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

The Last Call posted:

I'm not particular fond of this look or style but it's not really for me.

It's to get kids into the fandom and that's not a bad thing, we need a variety of stuff for various people.

yeah exactly. I don't care for it, but so what, I'm not the target audience anyways

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Panfilo posted:

Just the usual "It's new and I don't like things that are new" bullshit, if I seem to recall. But this was pre-YouTube and Twitter so people who didn't care for it just didn't watch it or said "Eh, I don't like it." on a message board once or twice and moved on instead of building a whole personality around telling people about the rending wound in their souls that watching it left them with.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Larryb posted:

I liked the '02 series at the time, but the art style of this new series just isn't clicking with me. I definitely recall some people at the time dunking on it for being too anime, but that kind of thing never bothered me.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I think it's also the "Masters Babies" thing. Instead of airbrushed wizard-van mighty heroic fantasy, it's tweens living in cyberpunk who discover that they're all he-mans.

It's not "making GBS threads on my childhood" or whatever, but it's very clearly intended for kids instead of me, and that's fine.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Nemo2342 posted:

I liked the '02 series at the time, but the art style of this new series just isn't clicking with me. I definitely recall some people at the time dunking on it for being too anime, but that kind of thing never bothered me.

I never liked the visual style of the CG reboot ever since we got the first toy leaks. But like I said, everything else about this series seems interesting enough that I’ll probably still give it a fair shot regardless.

Also should this thread get a title change to turn it into a general purpose He-Man/She-Ra one or should we start a new one for the upcoming reboot?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Aug 20, 2021

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern
Yeah, that's definitely not for me. But the whining of manbabies that this trailer is going to trigger will be delicious.

EDIT: I see that Mattel has deactivated comments on the YouTube trailer. Probably a wise move.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Dave Syndrome posted:

Yeah, that's definitely not for me. But the whining of manbabies that this trailer is going to trigger will be delicious.

EDIT: I see that Mattel has deactivated comments on the YouTube trailer. Probably a wise move.

Anything on YouTube meant primarily for kids now has comments disabled by default in compliance with new internet laws. And it’s to keep 6 year olds from reading poo poo like a stream of comments from gross 40 year old men having expletive riddled and misogynistic and/or white supremacist tinged meltdowns over literal children’s cartoons.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Aug 20, 2021

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

tsob posted:

Jesus Christ He-Man, what the gently caress is wrong with your arms :barf:

Reminds of that particular fan film He-Man more like HGH-Man amirite

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mK5Orcd0RNo

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner
The He-Man Whose Arms Exploded

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
It looks like someone vacuum sealed his arms or something.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

The whole thing is so horribly dark, presumably to cover up the fact that Skeletor's costume is just Dia De los Muertos facepaint.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So apparently there is still a Ram Man in the new series in addition to his female counterpart:

I assume the old man next to He-Man is Randor

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Larryb posted:

So apparently there is still a Ram Man in the new series in addition to his female counterpart:

I assume the old man next to He-Man is Randor

Randor rockin' some big King of Hyrule energy.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Revelation and the reboot will be getting a DVD/BD release at some point:

https://www.mediaplaynews.com/mattel-inks-disc-digital-distribution-deals-with-ncircle-and-mill-creek-entertainment/

Also the first season of the reboot will be 13 episodes and comes out on the 16th.

Out of curiosity, why was the last season or two of SPoP never released in physical form?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Aug 31, 2021

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
When does a Netflix exclusive EVER get a physical release!?

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
Stranger things did

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Vietnamwees posted:

When does a Netflix exclusive EVER get a physical release!?

The first 3 seasons of SPOP did, the new He-Man shows are as mentioned above, and the Netflix revival of MST3K did. That’s about all I can think of though.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Larryb posted:

Revelation and the reboot will be getting a DVD/BD release at some point:

https://www.mediaplaynews.com/mattel-inks-disc-digital-distribution-deals-with-ncircle-and-mill-creek-entertainment/

Also the first season of the reboot will be 13 episodes and comes out on the 16th.

Out of curiosity, why was the last season or two of SPoP never released in physical form?

Wish we'd get some news on when Part 2's dropping, but they're probably saving that for Power Con coming up next week. Also if it's getting a physical release, Netflix must be really confident in how it's doing then.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

House of Cards did, but we're all pretending it didn't happen even harder than with Game of Thrones.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

nine-gear crow posted:

Wish we'd get some news on when Part 2's dropping, but they're probably saving that for Power Con coming up next week. Also if it's getting a physical release, Netflix must be really confident in how it's doing then.

Last I heard it won’t be until early next year.

It is a bit odd that SPoP is the only entry in the franchise not to receive a complete physical release though.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

LividLiquid posted:

House of Cards did, but we're all pretending it didn't happen even harder than with Game of Thrones.

Fuuuuck yeah, I've never seen a show just deleted from public consciousness like House of Cards was, with GoT being a close second. But then again that's what happens when you build a show entirely around one actor and said actor is revealing to be a rampant sexual predator.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

nine-gear crow posted:

Fuuuuck yeah, I've never seen a show just deleted from public consciousness like House of Cards was, with GoT being a close second.

It does feel like Kristen Bell's resume jumps from Veronica Mars to The Good Place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Dawgstar posted:

It does feel like Kristen Bell's resume jumps from Veronica Mars to The Good Place.

Hey, she was on Heroes for a bit too. Oh wait, New Veronica Mars. lol there was another show that also got erased from public discourse for just making GBS threads the bed and just lying in it for four years too long (Heroes, I mean).