Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Kruller posted:

Until I played Odyssey, Evie was hands down my favorite AC character. Her takedowns in the "friendly" bare knuckle fights were insanely brutal. Her brother might kill you, but she'd ruin your loving life.
I really like the Ripper DLC, it does a good job of being a followup / response to some of the stuff in the main game and not just extra content. Plus there aren't many AAA games where the protagonist is a woman in her 40s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Kruller posted:

They kinda fixed it by changing the narrative reason for the kid as well as changing the achievement. Still not quite enough, but it's more than I'd expect from a large dev.

The alternative reason you can cite is "I have magic super DNA, you have magic super DNA, this was for the sake of the magic super DNA bloodline."

If you've played Odyssey, you might recall that this was the motivation of the game's bad guys and their obsession with the magic bloodlines was what made them evil.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Cythereal posted:

The alternative reason you can cite is "I have magic super DNA, you have magic super DNA, this was for the sake of the magic super DNA bloodline."

If you've played Odyssey, you might recall that this was the motivation of the game's bad guys and their obsession with the magic bloodlines was what made them evil.

If there's anything I've learned from American politics it's that this is a perfectly acceptable.

This time it's you doing it and not them. That makes it fine

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Len posted:

If there's anything I've learned from American politics it's that this is a perfectly acceptable.

This time it's you doing it and not them. That makes it fine

That's a bit of a theme of assassin's creed where they love murdering and taking over things but if it's the templars it's completely unacceptable

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
It’d be a very cool theme if the templars weren’t all so mustache twirling evil.

When the stated end goal of my enemy is global domination and the loss of free will it’s not hard to be in the moral right when you both commit the same base action.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Look the AssCreed story framing has always been rear end. “Genetic memory” is dumb bullshit, just let me be a dude who gets into a fistfight with the Pope

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
IT's like when you get a Narcissist villain who seems confused why there are people trying to kill him. Pagan Min, maybe if you weren't such a twat you wouldn't be making an enemy of literally everyone else. Would have been great if Ajay had just said right at the start "Well, I've only known you for 5 seconds and I already want to kill you, maybe you're the problem here? Get therapy, cousin."

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
My most hated trope is "were the same, you and I" because its hardly ever the same. One kills people for the goal of blowing up a stadium of people and the hero thats the "same" is usually killing people that if he didnt were probably planning on killing him.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I felt it worked in Tomb Raider because of the phrasing. "We're both survivors Lara. I've just been doing this a whole lot longer!" happens to be a cool line, even if it is incorrect.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

BioEnchanted posted:

IT's like when you get a Narcissist villain who seems confused why there are people trying to kill him. Pagan Min, maybe if you weren't such a twat you wouldn't be making an enemy of literally everyone else. Would have been great if Ajay had just said right at the start "Well, I've only known you for 5 seconds and I already want to kill you, maybe you're the problem here? Get therapy, cousin."

Pagan knows why people hate him, he just doesn't care. And he's still probably a better choice than the man who wants to marry a thirteen year-old and execute people in the name of his religion, or the woman who wants to murder a thirteen year-old and force the nation's children into farming opium for heroin production. Uncle Pagan's a monster, but he's not hiding behind some notion that what he's doing is right.

Sunswipe has a new favorite as of 18:44 on Aug 31, 2021

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

My most hated trope is "were the same, you and I" because its hardly ever the same. One kills people for the goal of blowing up a stadium of people and the hero thats the "same" is usually killing people that if he didnt were probably planning on killing him.

I liked in Revengeance where Raiden's like, "yeah, I guess we are" and then just fucks Monsoon up

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

christmas boots posted:

I liked in Revengeance where Raiden's like, "yeah, I guess we are" and then just fucks Monsoon up

Yeah, I was just about to post this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOF-0iEgbto&t=204s
(timestamped after the bad guy's speech is done)

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Can we just assume that I've posted all the stuff about Marburg in Alpha Protocol from the last time the "We're the same, you and I" thing came up? Because that rules.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Sunswipe posted:

Pagan knows why people hate him, he just doesn't care. And he's still probably a better choice than the man who wants to marry a thirteen year-old and execute people in the name of his religion, or the woman who wants to murder a thirteen year-old and force the nation's children into farming opium for heroin production. Uncle Pagan's a monster, but he's not hiding behind some notion that what he's doing is right.

To be fair I've barely started the game so I haven't got to the other characters being terrible yet :v: So far all I've seen is the woman being the girls protective mother figure and the man trying to big her up as a prophet.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Oh poo poo, sorry. I'd have spoilered that if I knew you hadn't played it. Although, isn't Far Cry 4 a bit modern for you?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Sunswipe posted:

Oh poo poo, sorry. I'd have spoilered that if I knew you hadn't played it. Although, isn't Far Cry 4 a bit modern for you?

It's my first Far Cry game, and I've only just got around to playing it. Just got as far as needing to take the first outpost. From what it says about Pagan's fortress, the game implies that there may be a Crackdown style weakening system. I'm hoping it's as in depth where certain outposts weaken others by taking away men or vehicles, and all eventually rob Pagan Min of his resources for the final mission, but it probably won't be quite that clever. I liked the crackdown method and wish more people would use it. I think the Mad Max game had something like it where as you did missions in an area it would become less and less dangerous.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Calaveron posted:

The problem with the current day storylines of the Assassin Creed games besides the fact that they're boring as poo poo and always star the worst possible characters is that they spend games and games building up but then each storyline quietly concludes in a limited run comic book series nobody loving buys.

They all feel like whoever wrote the script to National Treasure was told to huff glue and bang out a new script.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

So basically, Nic Cage for next AssCreed main character.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I wish they'd bring back the batfuck insanity of the "Truth" segments in AC2. Like Stalin, FDR, Adolf Hitler, and Henry Ford all conspired to make WW2 happen, then Hitler killed a body double in the bunker and escaped, only to be actually killed by an Assassin hiding just outside.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

christmas boots posted:

I wish they'd bring back the batfuck insanity of the "Truth" segments in AC2. Like Stalin, FDR, Adolf Hitler, and Henry Ford all conspired to make WW2 happen, then Hitler killed a body double in the bunker and escaped, only to be actually killed by an Assassin hiding just outside.

The video they unlocked with Adam and Eve escaping a precursor compound with the Apple was what sold me on the modern day storyline.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

The absence of female assassins in the franchise had nothing to do with the lore and everything to do with Ubisoft's toxic upper management who didn't think games with female protagonists would sell.

They were occasionally there in Brotherhood and Revelations for that ability to call in back up but yeah, not really any excuse for playable characters.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I really liked Far Cry 5 and the thing dragging it down is that for years, possibly continuing into right now, this was not an opinion you could espouse anywhere without someone screeching "b-b-b-but the KIDNAPPINGS!!!!" like it wasn't something everyone had heard a million and a half times before.

There's like nine kidnappings across the entire game, yeah they break up the gameplay (although I've definitely never had the experience some people claim to where they say they were kidnapped out of a helicopter mid-flight or whatever, in fact I swear at least once I just had a stand-off with the cult for a while because I knew it wasn't like I was going to wake up with any ammo anyway), but they're interesting little setpiece levels, and none of them take particularly long but serve up little fun bits of plot.

BioEnchanted, if you're checking out the series though I would recommend 3 a lot, it's got this cool Alice in Wonderland thematic schtick that points out that the player/Alice is dumped into an unfamiliar world and basically immediately sets out to topple the local power structure, but also it's a blast to play and Michael Mando's voice work is incredible.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Rockman Reserve posted:

I really liked Far Cry 5 and the thing dragging it down is that for years, possibly continuing into right now, this was not an opinion you could espouse anywhere without someone screeching "b-b-b-but the KIDNAPPINGS!!!!" like it wasn't something everyone had heard a million and a half times before.

There's like nine kidnappings across the entire game, yeah they break up the gameplay (although I've definitely never had the experience some people claim to where they say they were kidnapped out of a helicopter mid-flight or whatever, in fact I swear at least once I just had a stand-off with the cult for a while because I knew it wasn't like I was going to wake up with any ammo anyway), but they're interesting little setpiece levels, and none of them take particularly long but serve up little fun bits of plot.

BioEnchanted, if you're checking out the series though I would recommend 3 a lot, it's got this cool Alice in Wonderland thematic schtick that points out that the player/Alice is dumped into an unfamiliar world and basically immediately sets out to topple the local power structure, but also it's a blast to play and Michael Mando's voice work is incredible.

I got 4 because the shop didn't have 3. It was my second choice for my first Far Cry. :v:. Also these Rhinos can get hosed, and I need so many pelts for upgrades. CAn I assume I'll get a stronger bow to take them down with for a double-skin, or do I just need to kill 6 of them individually with firearms, as arrows barely scratch them? I've just taken the first outpost (or rather the Elephant did :3:)

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Rockman Reserve posted:

It's a thing that you can do once in your narrative and make it work. Maybe twice if you like parallels or bookends in your game narrative. Otherwise it makes everyone involved look like an imbecile. You want to put people into your set piece, find a different way to get people into your set piece.

Not a plane capture, but still funny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEEjkzHUknU

marshmallow creep has a new favorite as of 21:29 on Aug 31, 2021

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

My favorite thing about Far Cry 5 was the insanely cartoonish aircraft physics. Being able to successfully pull off a loop after a fifty foot takeoff roll is quite a thing :v:

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Yeah I had lots of fun with moment to moment stuff exploring Far Cry 5 and doing some of the activities like the paragliding. And it had some good gun feel. I'm looking forward to Far Cry 6.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I never played FC5 but enjoyed 3 and 4 a little

My understanding was that kidnappings were scripted and unavoidable so, no matter how you were playing or what you were doing, you were guaranteed to get snatched up in order to advance the plot. Is that not true?

If it is, it's a cheap gameplay gimmick and there's probably 10 different ways to keep a video game character on the rails without making it obvious. Also, putting you on rails in the first place in an open world game is kinda counter to the point.

From what I heard, the way the game handled moving you through the story was more like a Dungeon Master railroading you into their plot by using Gods, arresting you or putting up invisible force fields and poo poo rather than just moving the set piece encounters to wherever the player characters went or wound up.

My D&D players never knew when I moved a keep, a cave, an NPC, BBEG or a mcguffin into whatever forest or mountain range they decided to visit. I just railroaded them without railroading them.

In a video game, you can easily move a chapter along without things seeming cheap, even in open world games. Putting the player on a script/on rails in a game designed to make you feel a free sense of "go anywhere" only to be thrown into cut scenes doesn't sound like fun and it doesn't seem like FC5 did a good job with it. The complaints I've read described players just suddenly being captured and stuck on an airplane or thrown in a jail practically out of nowhere in ways that robbed them of their agency or discounted their strategy, equipment, surroundings and all the poo poo they'd done prior to that.

It sounds something like a fortress/base building game where, no matter what you did, the orcs would take over and throw you in a goblin jail anyway when the game said so.

Is that incorrect?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Rockman Reserve posted:

The level where you get kidnapped and stuck in a nuke silo and you have to get through a room with a 1911, maybe 8 bullets if you’re lucky, and a shovel was so much fun. I love when games give you limited resources and have you improvise.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

"We have magic drug darts that perfectly incapacitate the target at any time from any distance, sometimes through solid matter."

"Okay, why don't we use those darts at any point when the protagonist is killing all our doodz?"

"Uuuuuuuh..."

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Rockman Reserve posted:

You can fight them off for a minute or two but there's no real point. I've been playing through it again recently and at least for Jacob's region you'll get a warning saying a capture party is coming for you. Killed them as soon as they pulled up on an ATV, immediately got another warning saying another capture party is coming. Kill them as well, immediately triggers the cutscene of getting shot by a bliss arrow from nowhere and blacking out. I've had the cutscene trigger while flying planes and while locking myself in rooms with no windows, there's no way to avoid it.

Forcing the story on you is kind of annoying but I understand why they do it since the pacing can become nonsensical in the other games. If the first thing you do is clear all the outposts while avoiding the story until you absolutely have to engage with it, you end up with scenarios like FC3 where as far as you can tell you've completely cleared the island of any enemy presence but for story missions they're still all over the place and in control of everything.

As far as things dragging FC5 down specifically, the mission for recruiting Jess is some serious edgelord trash in terms of writing. Sorry I had to interrupt your story to kill off some cult members, please continue about being forced to drink piss and then being fed your own parents.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Like if the kidnappings were things like "taken in a hostage exchange" or "you explored this ammo dump and they dropped a cage on you" or anything but "deus ex drug darts" I don't think people would complain about the transition as much. People didn't hate the set pieces that followed the kidnappings. They hated the kidnappings because they are bad, bad transitions that disrupt the game.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I was once tranq darted and captured in a place 2,000 feet in the air.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

I was once tranq darted and captured in a place 2,000 feet in the air.

I feel like there's an Awkward Zombie comic here.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

RareAcumen posted:

They were occasionally there in Brotherhood and Revelations for that ability to call in back up but yeah, not really any excuse for playable characters.

Notably, the game they infamously said this about includes a major female NPC with combat and movement animations.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

what I'm actually taking away from this conversation is clearly i was not flying nearly enough in that game

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Yeah the flying is pretty fun.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Aphrodite posted:

Notably, the game they infamously said this about includes a major female NPC with combat and movement animations.

I'm also pretty sure there were female characters in the multiplayer at the time.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

marshmallow creep posted:

Yeah the flying is pretty fun.

Eh. Kinda lost it's appeal when, in an attempt to have some loving fun, I decided to just strafe an outpost from a gunship rather than the usual sneaky approach. I hovered over it, machinegunned a guard, and the guy next to him either didn't notice or didn't care. It was like the NPCs wanted to be in the game about as much as I did.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Sunswipe posted:

Eh. Kinda lost it's appeal when, in an attempt to have some loving fun, I decided to just strafe an outpost from a gunship rather than the usual sneaky approach. I hovered over it, machinegunned a guard, and the guy next to him either didn't notice or didn't care. It was like the NPCs wanted to be in the game about as much as I did.

The helicopter gunship also makes destroying the outposts a little too trivial in my opinion, if you just want to clean up the map it's the fastest way to do it but I never found it particularly fun or interesting after the first couple times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Well i just finished Killer 7,what a load of aggravating terrible bullshit wankery that was.

Awful gameplay,nonsensical story.