Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
favourite number
This poll is closed.
835 3 2.29%
2 14 10.69%
3,400,981 17 12.98%
11 19 14.50%
21 13 9.92%
7070 12 9.16%
58008 53 40.46%
Total: 131 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

this post gets a lot of the details wrong and I'm mad at it

Augustus died peacefully in his bed, and also the two months were added far before either of them--they just renamed them. Caesar renamed the seventh month from Quintilis to July. The names were already hosed up

From Plutarch's Roman Questions:

quote:

Why do they adopt the month of January as the beginning of the new year?

The fact is that, in ancient days, March was counted before January, as is clear from many different proofs, and particularly from the fact that the fifth month from March is called Quintilis, the sixth Sextilis, and so on to the last, which they call December, since it is the tenth in order from March. Wherefore it has also naturally occurred to some to believe and to maintain that the ancient Romans completed their year, not in twelve months, but in ten, by adding more days than thirty to some of the months. Others state that December is the tenth from March, January the eleventh, and February the twelfth; and in this month they perform rites of purification and make offerings to the dead, since it is the end of the year. But the order of these months was altered, so they say, and January was put first because in this month on the day of the new moon, which they call the Kalends of January, the first consuls entered office after the kings had been expelled.

But more worthy of credence are they who maintain that it was because Romulus was a warrior and a lover of battle, and was thought to be a son of Mars, that he placed first the month which bore Mars' name. But Numa, in turn, who was a lover of peace, and whose ambition it was to turn the city towards husbandry and to divert it from war, gave the precedence to January and advanced the god Janus to great honours, since Janus​ was a statesman and a husbandman rather than a warrior. But consider whether Numa may not have adopted as the beginning of the year that which conforms to our conception of the natural beginning. Speaking generally, to be sure, there is not naturally either last or first in a cycle; and it is by custom that some adopt one beginning of this period and others another. They do best, however, who adopt the beginning after the winter solstice, when the sun has ceased to advance, and turns about and retraces his course toward us. For this beginning of the year is in a certain way natural to mankind, since it increases the amount of light that we receive and decreases the amount of darkness, and brings nearer to us the lord and leader of all mobile matter.

tl;dr at least some ancient Romans believed that originally, March was the first month, and the numbers made sense. Then they got renumbered but kept their names.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

warioware

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I can't believe Augustus was stabbed peacefully in his sleep.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

grieving for Gandalf posted:

are there real video games coming out this month
:mad:

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

what the hell none of these are my favorite numbers

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
They called the 31st day of August "September"

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2

Infinitum posted:

I can't believe Augustus was stabbed peacefully in his sleep.
that's what he gets for loud snoring

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
How the gently caress is 21 not in the poll, c'mon it's like the only important number in september

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

can we add "Three and a bit"

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
oh poo poo i forgot cruisn blast comes out this month

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

this post gets a lot of the details wrong and I'm mad at it

Augustus died peacefully in his bed, and also the two months were added far before either of them--they just renamed them. Caesar renamed the seventh month from Quintilis to July. The names were already hosed up

From Plutarch's Roman Questions:

tl;dr at least some ancient Romans believed that originally, March was the first month, and the numbers made sense. Then they got renumbered but kept their names.

Thank you I was also mad about this

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
can someone tell the loving weather here that it's fall now. is there a hotline or something I can use

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Booky posted:

i have a hot question for u all:

is september summer or fall?

thhere is not a strict deliniation between seasons that can be summed up by months or days. each season change is noticed in retrospect when a consistent series of days has appeared with weather that marks the turning of the season. peace be withy ou.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

Booky posted:

i have a hot question for u all:

is september summer or fall?

Technically it's mostly Summer until September 22nd

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

september is spring

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Stux posted:

thhere is not a strict deliniation between seasons that can be summed up by months or days. each season change is noticed in retrospect when a consistent series of days has appeared with weather that marks the turning of the season. peace be withy ou.

Solstices and equinoxes block your path

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

I can't wait for the first cold front. Fall is my favorite time of year.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Gaius Marius posted:

i dont believe in astrology

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Gaius Marius posted:

>stab solstice and eqinox with dagger of +2 sharpness
>repeatedly crouch over their corpses

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Zil posted:

Aw thanks, what did you get us?

a clue :twisted:

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
I'm glad to see that my favorite number is currently winning the poll

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

My PS4 is now being used elsewhere so I am doing my daily P5 Royal routine on the PS5.

I fear it will end up like me not playing any Switch games because Ring Fit is permanently there

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Willo567 posted:

oh poo poo i forgot cruisn blast comes out this month

wait they're still making cruisn' games??

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

Dude is not having it with games that might not be good when they eventually get made.

I warn you fair gamer, your wallet may never heal from this wound.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Stux posted:

i dont believe in astrology

This guy don't give a gently caress what you think stux

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Those ellipses in the corner are doing some heavy lifting.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

3 dimensional view :aaa:

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Waffleman_ posted:

Those ellipses in the corner are doing some heavy lifting.

"All we can say is that it exists and it is a game"

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

FirstAidKite posted:

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Kerrzhe posted:

wait they're still making cruisn' games??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0BjSpUxkOg

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

i have added several numbers by popular demand

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

FirstAidKite posted:

So did they really put some thought into choosing the name “Demnos” or did they just typo “Demons”

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I gotta tell you guys bout this wild-rear end news story out of my city.

So this high school football team from Columbus plays a game against a school from Florida, televised on ESPN. Blown the gently caress out, 58-0. And while this is happening, the announcers are like "Well they said they had a lot of Division I prospects on their roster, but we couldn't really verify it and it's weird that they're doing so bad."

So a bit of digging was done and

This school may not loving exist.

They have three addresses listed in different places, one of which is a PO box, one of which is a sports complex, and one of which is a whole other university.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

FirstAidKite posted:

i cant believe you'd post this and not share the loving intro theme, composed by the same guy who made that one pictionary NES track that people went apeshit for:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_gObHt1uZA

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Mix. posted:

i cant believe you'd post this and not share the loving intro theme, composed by the same guy who made that one pictionary NES track that people went apeshit for:

"Well this isn't that impressi--WHAT THE gently caress"

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Waffleman_ posted:

I gotta tell you guys bout this wild-rear end news story out of my city.

So this high school football team from Columbus plays a game against a school from Florida, televised on ESPN. Blown the gently caress out, 58-0. And while this is happening, the announcers are like "Well they said they had a lot of Division I prospects on their roster, but we couldn't really verify it and it's weird that they're doing so bad."

So a bit of digging was done and

This school may not loving exist.

They have three addresses listed in different places, one of which is a PO box, one of which is a sports complex, and one of which is a whole other university.

What the hell? Just roving bands of high school football players that go around losing games? I'm guessing some kind of tax scam.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Mix. posted:

lmao

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

My favorite "game composer goes ham on something completely incongruous" is Unused Song 2 from The Flintstones by Dean Evans

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRF_7xsu10c

Edit: runner up
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJvmfXWpv60

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

My favorite "game composer goes ham on something completely incongruous" is Unused Song 2 from The Flintstones by Dean Evans

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRF_7xsu10c

Why did you just post the new Cisco phone on-hold music?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Zil posted:

What the hell? Just roving bands of high school football players that go around losing games? I'm guessing some kind of tax scam.

Apparently the players were in their 20s and 30s?!?!?!!?