Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
Party Down was very good, but definitely not a hit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
Some cover art from the She-Ra stuff in the Masters of the Universe comic a few years back:

If you recognize the artist give yourself a cookie.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Is the DC comic any good?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

The Last Call posted:

If you recognize the artist give yourself a cookie.

Yeah, I'd know Stjepan's work anywhere.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
It's a crazy ride. It pretty much ramps up to 10 and never stops until it's over.

Most people liked the ride, it was one of the better received Masters properties of the last two decades.

Not to say it will be to everyone's taste as swords and more are put to bloody use.

The fright zone is truly an evil thing and Hordak himself is the most vicious version of him yet.

If you ever wondered what Adora would be like if free of restraint and tried to do the worse things you find out the end result

But if you know her story you know what must happen:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Yeah, but the most interesting thing about that storyline was that Adora recognized that suddenly changing clothes and doing good wasn't going to erase a life of committing genocide, and probably never was. It was a really interesting retelling of the mythos.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
Yup Adora has a rough time of dealing with everything she did once she comes around to the full truth and the fact Hordak used her.

You don't live a truly evil life, switch sides and not realize the horrible things you did.

One of the most important aspects of this story is that Adam isn't the one to make her learn the truth, it's Teela.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

The Last Call posted:

But if you know her story you know what must happen:

Such a tiny sword.

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

Vietnamwees posted:

When does a Netflix exclusive EVER get a physical release!?

When it's produced by an outside company. History suggests that there's an exclusivity clause, but several shows have been released a year or whatever after they appear on Netflix. She-Ra being Dreamworks is definitely a candidate and I would buy a complete series Bluray in a heartbeat.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Norwegian Rudo posted:

When it's produced by an outside company. History suggests that there's an exclusivity clause, but several shows have been released a year or whatever after they appear on Netflix. She-Ra being Dreamworks is definitely a candidate and I would buy a complete series Bluray in a heartbeat.

Speaking of SPoP, why exactly did they stop making DVD/BD releases for it after the first 3 seasons?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I would assume it was because whoever was making or distributing them no longer found it profitable. I have no idea who that was, or even if it was selling much mind, but I'd also assume if a thing stopped being sold the most likely explanation is lack of profit. It doesn't even matter if it was selling and making some profit, if it wasn't enough profit for whoever was in charge.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

tsob posted:

I would assume it was because whoever was making or distributing them no longer found it profitable. I have no idea who that was, or even if it was selling much mind, but I'd also assume if a thing stopped being sold the most likely explanation is lack of profit. It doesn't even matter if it was selling and making some profit, if it wasn't enough profit for whoever was in charge.

Makes sense, it’s just that literally every other entry in the franchise (including possibly the two new shows depending on how far they get into the reboot) has gotten a full home release so it’s weird that this show is the only odd man out (but perhaps there’s still hope for a complete release in the future).

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

nine-gear crow posted:

Hey, she was on Heroes for a bit too. Oh wait, New Veronica Mars. lol there was another show that also got erased from public discourse for just making GBS threads the bed and just lying in it for four years too long (Heroes, I mean).

People like to blame the writer's strike but even during season one, "the good part," kinda... wasn't?

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

nine-gear crow posted:

Hey, she was on Heroes for a bit too. Oh wait, New Veronica Mars. lol there was another show that also got erased from public discourse for just making GBS threads the bed and just lying in it for four years too long (Heroes, I mean).

She also had major (voice) roles in Gossip Girl and Frozen, both of which were pretty big.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

New clip from the reboot series:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=PfUGh8ZXIBg

Nice to see a more proactive Adam at least

Larryb fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Sep 2, 2021

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

feels like everything is moving a tad too slow. The running at the beginning, the robot flying away after being smacked.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Another clip, this one also includes the main theme song for the series:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=BSJS9f6DKc8

It’s no Warriors but the theme song is decent enough in my opinion. I kind of like the dialogue/banter as well, it has a punchy SPOP quality to it (Also, “I Have…no idea!” was a fun line)

I do kind of like that Adam has to learn how to use his powers a bit here as opposed to being perfect at everything from the first transformation like in the case of past adaptions (there seems to be a bit more Adam in He-Man’s personality as well).

So I’m assuming there won’t be a secret identity aspect to the series this time then? If so I have no problem with that since I never really fully understood why it was supposed to be a secret to begin with.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Sep 4, 2021

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
There are technically handles Skeletor could have twisted if it was known that He-Man was actually the Crown Prince of Eternia instead of some weird barbarian vigilante ally who shows up to help on his own schedule.

At the very least, it makes it a lot easier to predict where He-Man is going to be at any one time, or to wrangle concessions out of Randor if He-Man is captured.

And presumably, it's a lot easier to kill Prince Adam than He-Man, If Adam can't be He-man all the time, though I don't know if there's ever been a time limit imposed.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Yeah, it's a bad idea on general principle to let the bad guys know about your weedy, helpless alter ego. Forcing them to only fight you when you're at your strongest is the single biggest advantage of a secret identity.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Fair point. On that note, did Adora also have a secret identity in the OG She-Ra or could she just transform anywhere at any time like she did In SPoP?

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

She had a secret identity for nebulous reasons that boiled down to "because He-Man does".

It's honestly very funny in how ludicrous it is in a few scenes, she and Bow will literally be on a battlefront against Horde forces and she has to Clark Kent an excuse to run away and return as She-Ra. Adam was a prince whose parents might have stopped him from He-Manning around, but Adora is fully in charge of a decent chunk of the rebellion and still has to do the secret identity thing.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Larryb posted:

Fair point. On that note, did Adora also have a secret identity in the OG She-Ra or could she just transform anywhere at any time like she did In SPoP?

Only certain characters knew about her. Madame Razz and Kowl, if I recall, but it's been a LONG goddamned time.

And Swift Wind was horn- and wingless and named "Spirit" during the off-times.

Why do I remember this poo poo? It's been 35 loving years. :cripes:

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Only certain characters knew about her. Madame Razz and Kowl, if I recall, but it's been a LONG goddamned time.

And Swift Wind was wingless and named "Spirit" during the off-times.

Yeah, it was Razz, Kowl, and the rarely appearing Sorceress analogue, Light Hope. And yes! Even her horse had a secret identity!

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, I knew about Swift Wind being her Battle Cat analogue at least.

But like with SPoP it seems like the circumstances in the He-Man reboot are a bit different so maybe this is a case where keeping a secret identity wouldn’t really change matters much (or if anything it’d make it harder for the MC to do their job).

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Android Blues posted:

Yeah, it was Razz, Kowl, and the rarely appearing Sorceress analogue, Light Hope. And yes! Even her horse had a secret identity!

We also can't forget Loo-Kee. Loo-Kee sees and knows ALL. :stare:

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Android Blues posted:

She had a secret identity for nebulous reasons that boiled down to "because He-Man does".

It's honestly very funny in how ludicrous it is in a few scenes, she and Bow will literally be on a battlefront against Horde forces and she has to Clark Kent an excuse to run away and return as She-Ra. Adam was a prince whose parents might have stopped him from He-Manning around, but Adora is fully in charge of a decent chunk of the rebellion and still has to do the secret identity thing.

Yeah, in that case I’m actually glad SPoP just did away with that aspect entirely

Larryb fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Sep 4, 2021

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

BIG HEADLINE posted:

We also can't forget Loo-Kee. Loo-Kee sees and knows ALL. :stare:

Having watched the Power of Grayskull documentary shortly after Revelation, I firmly appreciate now how Loo-Kee was straight up nothing more than just a way for the animators to troll the gently caress out of the series director by slipping him in to random scenes. It's great.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

nine-gear crow posted:

Having watched the Power of Grayskull documentary shortly after Revelation, I firmly appreciate now how Loo-Kee was straight up nothing more than just a way for the animators to troll the gently caress out of the series director by slipping him in to random scenes. It's great.

They even tossed him into the reboot as a background character/cameo (kind of like how Kowl became a plush toy):

https://she-raandtheprincessesofpower.fandom.com/wiki/Loo-Kee

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I kind of like how ungainly He-Man looks in the CG show. He's genuinely just a kid wearing a gigantic muscle-suit, and he looks the part.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Darth Walrus posted:

I kind of like how ungainly He-Man looks in the CG show. He's genuinely just a kid wearing a gigantic muscle-suit, and he looks the part.

The more I see of the show in action, the more it's kinda growing on me. It's got that sort of intentionally dumb spittle laugh humour to it that She-Ra had as well.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

nine-gear crow posted:

The more I see of the show in action, the more it's kinda growing on me. It's got that sort of intentionally dumb spittle laugh humour to it that She-Ra had as well.

Same here. I also like that despite being turned into the Sorceress analogue for this universe Teela is still Teela in regards to personality.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Larryb posted:

Same here. I also like that despite being turned into the Sorceress analogue for this universe Teela is still Teela in regards to personality.

And that her reaction to knowing Adam is He-Man is pretty much what it would have been had she found out in any way but how she did in Relevations. Just "uuh, Adam, you massive dork."

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

This guy is the composer for the new series apparently:

https://popternative.com/entertainm...f-the-universe/

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Courtesy of the Power Con stream we have some new info on the reboot:

Adam was raised by a jungle tribe, very much as in the mini-comics, alongside Krass (Ram-M'am) and Cringer. The power of Grayskull also now has a rival energy source that goes by the name Havoc, which is what Skeletor and his minions tap into to become Masters themselves.

Skeletor, as Keldor, initially craves the power of Grayskull until Havoc gives him his abilities and turns him into what he is now. He decrees that Grayskull's power is inferior and vows to snuff it out

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

In other news, She-Ra is apparently coming back with a live action series by Dreamworks:

https://variety.com/2021/tv/news/she-ra-live-action-series-amazon-1235061288/

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Larryb posted:

In other news, She-Ra is apparently coming back with a live action series by Dreamworks:

https://variety.com/2021/tv/news/she-ra-live-action-series-amazon-1235061288/

Enh...I kinda prefer it to stay animated.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Enh...I kinda prefer it to stay animated.

Same here, though apparently this new version will be a brand new take not connected to SPOP.

Then again, the live action He-Man movie had kind of a campy charm to it so maybe this could work if done well.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Larryb posted:

Same here, though apparently this new version will be a brand new take not connected to SPOP.

Then again, the live action He-Man movie had kind of a campy charm to it so maybe this could work if done well.

For some reason I'm reminded of the failed Wonder Woman TV show with Adrianne Palicki.

But hey, ~hope springs eternal~.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Since I got into the franchise late, did we know SPoP was going to last 5 seasons right out of the gate or did they kind of play it by ear?

I ask because I’m kind of curious how long the He-Man reboot’s going to run for (I’m guessing at least 3 seasons provided it’s successful)

Speaking of which, reminder that the first batch drops this Thursday

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Larryb posted:

Since I got into the franchise late, did we know SPoP was going to last 5 seasons right out of the gate or did they kind of play it by ear?

I ask because I’m kind of curious how long the He-Man reboot’s going to run for (I’m guessing at least 3 seasons provided it’s successful)

Speaking of which, reminder that the first batch drops this Thursday

Most Netflix animated series usually have automatic two season orders, and then just kind of run until Netflix gets bored of them, viewership be damned. Which is usually fairly quickly because Netflix is incredibly capricious. I remember seeing somewhere that the folks behind Voltron said at the start of the show their plan was for 80 episodes (they ultimately made 78) and Netflix had basically already pre-greenlit the entire series and it was just a matter of actually making it to the finish line. It was also insanely popular for a Netflix animated series, so that's probably the high water mark for judging other shows against, with She-Ra coming in a close second.

The common example for the lifespan of an average Netflix animated series is something like Carmen Sandiego, which made it 4 seasons and still managed to end on its own terms, but the final season reeked of Netflix pulling the plug on it and going "wrap everything up and get out. Now."