Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

Tars Tarkas posted:

I will forever want that plot they pitched about a missing festival bell Picard investigates

https://variety.com/2020/tv/features/michael-chabon-star-trek-picard-1203544717/

God drat this would've been a better show.

Grand Fromage posted:

If they were dead set on action a Raiders of the Lost Ark kinda story would've been more fun.

I still wanted Ambassador Picard. I get the other shows are going for a larger audience but I find it hard to believe there were more than a handful of people watching Picard who weren't TNG fans, and would be sold on a quieter show of solving a diplomatic crisis with our old TV friends instead of pew pew.

Or this, give me Ambassador Picard or Archeologist Picard any day.

I wish they would stop trying to turn new Star Trek things into the umpteenth sequel to an action movie series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Either one of the big plots, the Romulan Refugee Crisis or the Borg reintegration work would have been fine had they been an a plot b plot device and not somehow woven together in some hackeneyed bid to be prestige tv.

also just going to point out that I say all this as someone who more or less enjoyed watching Picard.

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!
No matter what direction they'd gone with for Picard, there would have been a vocal portion of the Star Trek fan base whining about it.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

Nullsmack posted:

God drat this would've been a better show.

I wish they would stop trying to turn new Star Trek things into the umpteenth sequel to an action movie series.

Archeologist Picard is how we got the episode Gamble, which I love.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Here’s something new to analyze and complain about for the next ten pages

https://twitter.com/StarTrekOnPPlus/status/1432776902738055173?s=20

I’ll start; it’s kinda anemic and boring, especially compared to Giacchino’s other Trek work.

For a Nickelodeon show it's really lacking that the-theme-must-summarize-the-pilot-and-main-cast-in-sixty-seconds-just-in-case-you-missed-every-previous-episode energy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7q1Sn5nu50

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Nullsmack posted:

"Former Admiral and more recently leader of the Kataan archaeology mission, publishing numerous acclaimed volumes on the life of the people of the doomed world, Jean-Luc Picard"

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Roadie posted:

For a Nickelodeon show it's really lacking that the-theme-must-summarize-the-pilot-and-main-cast-in-sixty-seconds-just-in-case-you-missed-every-previous-episode energy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7q1Sn5nu50

It'll probably have a little prologue before each episode where Janeway gives a little speech summing things up.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010

MikeJF posted:

It'll probably have a little prologue before each episode where Janeway gives a little speech summing things up.

"Last time, on Star Trek: Prodigy..."

"And now, the conclusion."

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

oh my god, t'ana is still the best

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

Mx. posted:

I love that they're leaning into the cat jokes hard this season.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

MikeJF posted:

Almost like... recording a Captain's Log?... :thunk:

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Brains are inside our skin.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Well, that episode was actually quite good. Like a second-tier Futurama episode, maybe. No stand-out lines or anything particularly memorable, but not bad.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I lol'd at "lowest tractor factor"

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

In general, good!

That said - I get that it was setting things up, but they still went over the top in the pre-credits, it wasn't really funny, just... gratuitous and kinda reset the character back to dislikable a bit.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
It did make me stop and think about how different it would be getting the poo poo beat out of you when you can fix it all by waving a blinky light over your injuries

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

I thought the episode was a bit meh compared to the last couple but, Dr. T'Ana doing more stupid cat stuff was great.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Hol' up how does Boims know what Section 31 is.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

MikeJF posted:

Good question

Maybe it got outed after the events of DS9. Might be a conspiracy theory level thing for him as a Star Fleet nerd

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

MikeJF posted:

He mentions it back in ep. 2 when trying to hype up powerwalking.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Whos genitals *aren't* sensitive to phaser fire?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.
Holy poo poo they put a Kzin in a starfleet uniform!

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
They worse themselves out
even the watcher
ew.

I loved how many different ways Moguto was used. I don't think Sha'x used the same form twice.

Tendi's arm was really broken :stare:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

A.o.D. posted:

Holy poo poo they put a Kzin in a starfleet uniform!

old news

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Are Our Heroes are going to be a whole cast of Ensign Kims, destined to remain lower decks for 11 seasons?

Will they move up and get replaced by newer, greener ensigns? Will we follow their advancement making the title less accurate as time goes on?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Mx. posted:

True statement.

MikeJF posted:

Everybody knows. They have uniforms to identify them as members of the nonexistent ultrasecret organization. Do you even Disco, bro?

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

The Bloop posted:

Are Our Heroes are going to be a whole cast of Ensign Kims, destined to remain lower decks for 11 seasons?

Every year someone is promoted, screws up, and gets demoted again, like how the Trailer Park Boys go to jail every season finale.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Kzinti, Caitian, what's the difference? All those cat people look alike, amirite?

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Grand Fromage posted:

Everybody knows. They have uniforms to identify them as members of the nonexistent ultrasecret organization. Do you even Disco, bro?

In my head the progression goes like

1) Archer outs them after the events of ENT, by Disco they've become kind of an open secret to higher ranking Starfleet personnel but still a non-entity to civvies
2) the Control debacle in the 23rd century forces their survivors underground again
3) Bashir outs them again after the Dominion War and they're back to being an open secret, or they've been effectively dismantled, and some of their records declassified for nerds like Boims to obsess over

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Pretty sure this started furries, more than Robin Hood.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

twistedmentat posted:

Pretty sure at least one character designer already was one.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

twistedmentat posted:

nah, nobody watched that show

plus she's not nearly as hot as Maid Marian

and furthermore,

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

The Bloop posted:

Will they move up and get replaced by newer, greener ensigns? Will we follow their advancement making the title less accurate as time goes on?

Where would they get promoted to? The bridge crew never dies, that's a real bottleneck in the promotion track.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Facebook Aunt posted:

Where would they get promoted to? The bridge crew never dies, that's a real bottleneck in the promotion track.

middle decks

they die

also other ships I guess. That's how you grow the fleet

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

The Bloop posted:

middle decks

they die

also other ships I guess. That's how you grow the fleet

Still waiting for Mariner to talk about her time on the Hood.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

twistedmentat posted:

You do know that animal people goes back to, like, Ancient Egypt, right?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

twistedmentat posted:

Still waiting for Mariner to talk about her time on the Hood.

When asked about the Hood, she responded "don't quote me, boy, cuz I ain't sayin poo poo"

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat

Brawnfire posted:

*honky tonk piano*

It's... the...

OBERTH song it's the Oberth song
So everybody sing along
Put your head between your hands
Dance around real fast like an Oberth and

Sing the Oberth song yes the Oberth song
The quadrant's jiviest tune
Spool the warp drive up and hold your saucer tight
Because we're about to croon

The Oberth song--

We are the Cube that never ends.
Yes, lets assimilate your friend(s).
Some people started shooting us not knowing what it was,
and they'll continue shooting us forever just because...

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Technowolf posted:

You do know that animal people goes back to, like, Ancient Egypt, right?

You know i'm joking right?

Brawnfire posted:

When asked about the Hood, she responded "don't quote me, boy, cuz I ain't sayin poo poo"

She and DeSoto are tight as gently caress, and what happens on the Hood, stays on the Hood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I don't think I've given so much as a sensible chuckle to this season of Lower Decks.