Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

It's also true that some perfectos are hard to pull initially, but as soon as you spark them up they loosen nicely. The Rocky Patel Vintage perfectos certainly are that way.

I threw a surprise birthday party for my girlfriend today which went swimmingly, and smoked a few cigars. The best one was the La Aurora Preferidos Sapphire robusto that we smoked together on the drive home. Beautifully sweet and creamy, and great to pass back and forth as we debriefed the fun time. All of the La Aurora cigars I've had have been fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Oh yeah, and those Sapphires are especially good. Maybe my favorite Connecticut blend.

I did one more round at Casa Fuente because I wanted to guide my friend I'm here with on a cigar journey since he is babby for the hobby, and I've just been sharing what I brought with me.

Snagged a pair of Opus X Lost City in either a Toro or Corona Extra, around that size.

I was quite pleased with the experience. The start is so light - rosewater and cream. Subtle herbaceous/potpourri flavors really evening out the balance. It builds so that by the end of it it's spicy as hell and really sneaks up on you.

It's not my favorite cigar shop in the world, but it's pretty rad that there's a place where you can just walk in the door and almost assuredly be able to pick up a stick like that. Can't wait to hit an LCdH one day!

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

Woo WOO, Look a Parrot...
LOOK AT IT!
My favorite LCDH, of the three I’ve been to, was the LCDH in Montreal. I made friends with one of the employees and hung out with him a couple of times but I don’t think he works there any more.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

On the perfecto note. Romacraft Aquitane Mode 5s are wonderful and taste like chocolate chip cookies.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN

S.W.O.R.D. Agent posted:

On the perfecto note. Romacraft Aquitane Mode 5s are wonderful and taste like chocolate chip cookies.

Man I have the worst luck with those. I bought a 5 pack each of the Mode 5 Acquitane and Cromagnon, and none of them had anything approaching an acceptable burn. I hear amazing things about Romacraft so it makes me really sad, but the burn on everything I’ve tried is so bad that after 8 sticks, I can’t even really say I know what they are supposed to take like.

Nexein
May 2, 2012

"Donuts of
Champions"
Roma has been so wacky for us; the intemperance is one of my absolute favorites but every other one we've had have been squarely "okay" which isn't ideal in a "boutique" cigar

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

God of Fire Don Carlos is really good. I'm really glad to have tried a bunch of Arturo Fuente sticks lately. The Casa Fuente house blend in the Habano Rosado wrapper wasn't fabulous, certainly not worth the price as I really only found the last two inches or so very good. Hard to resist the house blends anywhere you visit, though!

GoF developed into a fantastic spice level and eased you into it instead of dropping you right in, which is my more usual expectation with spicy sticks I enjoy.

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
Just a heads up I can do a few more samplers so shoot me a PM if interested.

E: for anyone who got tracking yesterday, your packages are going out this morning.

Ophidian fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Sep 1, 2021

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

My big thing with Romacraft is that most of their sticks are very samey if you go for the heavy broadleafed stuff. I love the Aquitane and Intemperance lines in general.

Not sure why you'd be getting such bad burns out of the Mode 5.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Popped in a restock on Atlantic today, very excited to try the Fonseca petite coronas.

Some of those RoMa Craft intemperance short Robusto blends look pretty appealing, especially price wise. Any recommendations between the EC and BA wrappers?

Nexein
May 2, 2012

"Donuts of
Champions"
I can only vouch for the EC but they own hard, I admittedly wasn't aware there was a variation though

e: also for content; I got wildly lucky and got a speeding ticket dismissed this morning so I went out and picked up an Ashton Cabinet and it's been much better than I assumed all the ashtons would be. It's got a great spicy leather medium body, and the finish isn't too long but it does pack a punch. Probably not worth the $13 I threw at it but still pretty drat good.

Nexein fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Sep 1, 2021

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Nice on the rec I'll check it out!

Congrats on the ticket and celebration. City of Chicago just lowered all cameras to start snapping at 6mph or higher, so be warned Chicagooons!

Ashton, AVO, Davidoff, and to a lesser extent Fuente punch a little below their price point, but you know what you're getting and it's likely to be just fine. Consistency is something you pay for per stick, and you start to miss it pretty quick (looking at you, Jose L. Piedra).

Not a lot of smokes I would call a bad buy straight up, but I'll tell you what I would buy instead. Glad you enjoyed yourself!

Nexein
May 2, 2012

"Donuts of
Champions"
Thanks!

Yeah a while ago I checked out a shop here that I hadn't been to, and while the selection is killer the guy had told me the cabinets are better after I told him we didn't love the VSG. Decided to see if he was right and it was just...fine? Non offensive?

Gramps and I keep trying these cigars that fall into the like, "favorite among upper class American guys" cigars and they're all like, incredibly smooth but not...punchy enough? It's crazy how you can get a way more complex and interesting stick for like, 6 or 8 bucks.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Yeah, commonly they're more occasional cigar smokers and go for something smooth.

Nexein
May 2, 2012

"Donuts of
Champions"
Occasional?? Cigar smoking?? :aaaaa:

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Fuckin weirdos in my himbo opinion

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

To be fair, we are avid Islay scotch drinkers, so we like to have our tastebuds loving roundhoused in the face. Smooth is nice, but it does nothing for me. Same with whisky. Macllan? Get the gently caress outta here and gimme some Laphroaig or Ardbeg.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Ardbeg and Laphroaig are the way. If you wanna get mellow, look at Port Charlotte.

Tonight I smoked the Rose of Sharon Desert Rose toro from the box pass. I still need to make the box pass post, but holy poo poo this was a great smoke. It might rival my favorite smoke ever. It's definitely my favorite Connecticut. Rich, complex, fruity, sweet, and mellow. I've been wondering if the Desert Rose is worth the premium and it absolutely is. That was a gorgeous cigar.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Kenning posted:

Ardbeg and Laphroaig are the way. If you wanna get mellow, look at Port Charlotte.

Tonight I smoked the Rose of Sharon Desert Rose toro from the box pass. I still need to make the box pass post, but holy poo poo this was a great smoke. It might rival my favorite smoke ever. It's definitely my favorite Connecticut. Rich, complex, fruity, sweet, and mellow. I've been wondering if the Desert Rose is worth the premium and it absolutely is. That was a gorgeous cigar.

We LOVE port charlotte, but lately it's been Lagavulin 9 (scoring it for $35 a bottle all summer has not sucked) and Ardbeg Wee Beastie.

Of all the Rose of Sharon I've smoked I liked the Toro from a freshpack the most. I need to make another run at the Desert Rose as I think mine were a little overhumidified. Cigarbid has the freshpacks super cheap again...

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Ardbeg and Laphroaig directly into my veins thank you

The San Luis Rey Carenas in toro are pretty dang yummy. They're real medium in every sense of the word. Smooth, creamy, woody,a little Cuban style mineral/salt flavor.

It's a nice, undemanding smoke. Good for relaxing.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Snagged an Intemperance EC Robusto at Binny's (same with a BA) and I'm having it right now and holy moly is this yummy. The presentation is great - super smooth wrapper with a little tooth here and there. The tiny shag foot is great - just a millimeter or two.

My draw is a little on the tighter side, but it's still smoking well enough to tempt me into picking up a box. Great Connecticut flavor with a strong creamy sweetness.

Have something nice for my grandma today, she passed this morning. Check in on your loved ones, and to quote Ophidian, "Life is too short for bad cigars."

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

NewFatMike posted:

Snagged an Intemperance EC Robusto at Binny's (same with a BA) and I'm having it right now and holy moly is this yummy. The presentation is great - super smooth wrapper with a little tooth here and there. The tiny shag foot is great - just a millimeter or two.

My draw is a little on the tighter side, but it's still smoking well enough to tempt me into picking up a box. Great Connecticut flavor with a strong creamy sweetness.

Have something nice for my grandma today, she passed this morning. Check in on your loved ones, and to quote Ophidian, "Life is too short for bad cigars."

I really liked all the intemperances I've smoked so far- much more than the cromagnons and neanderthals, which is crazy because I'm a Maduro fiend.

RIP Mike's GMA. Mine passed away last week so I share the same fresh wound mi amigo. I was able to hop on a plane and go spend time with my dad and grandpop which was really great. Got my little brother into cigars and good whisky too.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Nexein brought fuckin TREATS

These rule if you can find em. I'd been looking all year. Nice surprise to end a lovely lovely work week. Smoke a good one or three this weekend fellas

Nexein
May 2, 2012

"Donuts of
Champions"
Sorry to hear about your grams, Mike; my condolences.

Dedicating this absolute hedonism to Grammemories

My humidor's lookin a little sad and I went to cut a cigar and the thing split so I went on a tear and bought some smokes and a new scotch, which also slays. Less punchy than the average islay but smooth as silk and pairing great with a smooth and solidly built padron!

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Thanks for the well wishes friendos ♥️

Had an Intemperance BA this morning with coffee and what a treat. I'm definitely grabbing a box of that blend. Bawdy like a grilled steak with black pepper, and every once in a while a burst of apricot.

It's my spouse's birthday tomorrow - got them a box of their favorite, San Cristobal Revelation in the Prophet format. It's a mighty fine smoke if you haven't tried it yet!

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
It’s taking everything in me right now not to pull the trigger on a full box of 2002 diplomatico no 4. I even found a place with a full box of 2011 MDO4s but 40/stick is a rough pill to swallow.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I admire your discipline! My wallet is screaming thinking about that kinda spend.

Having an Opus X in some kind of petite Bellicoso format, and it's good but I honestly think I enjoy the Casa Cuba Doble Tres a lot more. Kinda just really like that and the Opus X Lost City from Fuente.

Can't stop thinking about that Intemperance BA - that was such a treat, I can't wait to have more.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

NewFatMike posted:

Having an Opus X in some kind of petite Bellicoso format, and it's good but I honestly think I enjoy the Casa Cuba Doble Tres a lot more. Kinda just really like that and the Opus X Lost City from Fuente.

I had a Doble Cuatro when I was in Denver visiting family and it ruuuuled. Fuentes don't really do a ton for me aside from the Opus, but man the Casa Cubas are just fantastic.

Lookin forward to another bro smoke sesh tomorrow as Nexein scored us some Foundation Goliaths and some MF Gran Ofertas so we're gonna be in good shape. I scored the little Classic Malts box sets so I have a wicked nice collection of scotches right now too. Lagavulin 16 is gonna go real nice with those sticks.

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!

NewFatMike posted:

I admire your discipline! My wallet is screaming thinking about that kinda spend.

I was able to resist. But I did luck into a 3X5 of mag 50 tubos from my youngest sons birth year/month for a very reasonable price so that’s nice.

Tonight I’m smoking a broken Punch DC which was damaged in transit. I made a sleeve out of aluminum foil and masking tape to prevent it from splitting.

The replacement stick is due Tuesday so nothing to lose if this doesn’t pan out.

Will report back.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
decided to smoke a marlboro today. ahhh, the smooth tobacco goes down real well with some White Horse Whiskey. what are you guys smoking rn?

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

ArfJason posted:

decided to smoke a marlboro today. ahhh, the smooth tobacco goes down real well with some White Horse Whiskey. what are you guys smoking rn?

My old man still smokes cowboy killers. Back when I was rippin burnies my go to were camel wide lights, but I eventually switched to rolling my own. I smoked other crap too before I eventually quit forever. Cigars are 10000 times more enjoyable for me so cigs are pretty much off my radar now, but I fuckin loved cigarettes when I smoked em.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I've had a few loving fantastic Nub Cameroon 466 BPT lately. That is quickly become by favorite everyday smoke. It's pretty easy to get them at $3.50 a pop from the auction sites, and they just smoke so smooth. Beautiful rich sweet leather flavor.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Kenning posted:

I've had a few loving fantastic Nub Cameroon 466 BPT lately. That is quickly become by favorite everyday smoke. It's pretty easy to get them at $3.50 a pop from the auction sites, and they just smoke so smooth. Beautiful rich sweet leather flavor.

I haven't had a NUB in a good while but I love em, especially the CT and the Dub. The bigass 35 cigar sampler is back on cigarbid on free fall so you can get a shitton of nubs for under 3 bucks apiece.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

The NUBerlode is very good as long as you're comfortable throwing away the NUB Maduros, which are an utter trash cigar in my experience. Everything else is excellent. Although I very strongly recommend picking up one of the NUB Cameroon 466 BPT 10-packs on CB or CA if you see it, it's a really remarkable smoke.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Kenning posted:

The NUBerlode is very good as long as you're comfortable throwing away the NUB Maduros, which are an utter trash cigar in my experience. Everything else is excellent. Although I very strongly recommend picking up one of the NUB Cameroon 466 BPT 10-packs on CB or CA if you see it, it's a really remarkable smoke.

I don't hate the maduro as viscerally as you do, but I agree it's the worst of the bunch. Very mediocre. I've smoked a ton of nubs in my limited time smoking cigars and I'd rank them thusly

1: Nub Dub
2: Serie V Nub
T-3: Connecticut
T-3: Cameroon
T-3: Habano
T-4: Cain
I havent tried the Sumatra so that leaves deadass last place for the Maduro.

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
Trip report: busted AF Punch DC

This Punch DC was damaged in transit. It’s replacement was on the way so I decided to try to smoke it to see if it was possible to fix it without patching it up with spare wrapper leaf and cigar glue.

The tech:
I took a 3x4” piece of aluminum foil, rolled the long ends over themselves and tightly rolled it against the cigar. I took two pieces of painters tape and wrapped that about 1/4” from either edge of the aluminum foil sleeve I created.

This allowed for enough tension to keep the cigar from further splitting but not enough that I couldn’t slide the sleeve relatively easily as the cigar burned down.

Did it work?

Yes. Yes it did.

The cigar itself was very good. Strong for the vitola for sure but its a Punch so not overly surprising.

The one thing I noticed that seemed to be a direct result of the sleeve was that the wrapper and binder seemed to be moist as I pulled the wrap further towards the head. Probably because the wrap was acting as an insulator.

It didn’t seem to affect much and any hints of sourness that popped through easily could have been due to the fact that I smoked the cigar in about an hour and twenty minutes which is pretty fast for a double corona.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

That is some impressive engineering, and something I will definitely keep in mind the next time I have a nice smoke that gets all busted.

Gramps posted:

I don't hate the maduro as viscerally as you do, but I agree it's the worst of the bunch. Very mediocre. I've smoked a ton of nubs in my limited time smoking cigars and I'd rank them thusly

1: Nub Dub
2: Serie V Nub
T-3: Connecticut
T-3: Cameroon
T-3: Habano
T-4: Cain
I havent tried the Sumatra so that leaves deadass last place for the Maduro.

Yeah, at this point my ranking would probably be

1: Nub Dub, Cameroon 466 BPT
2: Connecticut 460
3: Habano 460 , Cain, Habano 560, Connecticut 454, Cameroon 460
Unranked: Maduro

I haven't tried the Serie V or the Sumatra. I enjoy the Serie V blend, even if all of the standard Oliva products I've smoked have been really right-rolled. I suspect it would be excellent in a Nub. I've not had many Sumatra wrapped cigars, but the ones I've had have been sort of so-so, although I'm prepared to be convinced.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
switching it up todya with a Philip Morris. Goes down super smooth.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

ArfJason posted:

switching it up todya with a Philip Morris. Goes down super smooth.

I know you're trying to troll here but ol Phil Morris makes English Ovals which are a mighty fine cigarette

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
marlboros again. VEry smooth.