Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

This is not something I’d want myself, but I’d drat sure want a best friend or family member who had it, holy poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

All our childhoods sucked because our parents didn’t buy it.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

Cartoon Man posted:

All our childhoods sucked because our parents didn’t buy it.

That's it, I'm calling my dad right now!

(I'm probably a year or 2 too young for this to have been an option but drat if I wouldn't have loved it)

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

You aren't a real Star Wars fan if you don't have scars from where one of those things collapsed on you as a child :colbert:

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Someone get Disney on the phone, this is the idea star wars has been waiting on.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Darth mommy..?

pygmy tyrant
Nov 25, 2005

*not a small business owner

Darth Moeder if you want to get all original trilogy about it.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

I think it's supposed to be Trilla but yeah it does have a weird momly vibe about it :pwn:

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

stupid sexy kenobi

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Hazo posted:

I think it's supposed to be Trilla but yeah it does have a weird momly vibe about it :pwn:

Being lit from underneath is classically creepy, and a perspective of a looming figure looking down can be sinister, but that's also the perspective a child will have of their parents, and then BDSM and whatnot can muddle parent/enemy/sexual partner all together.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/WadF5Ol.mp4

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

What’s this

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

How Zoomers imagine the prequels feeling

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
But why would you put a tiny person in a chair in a fully autonomous death-droid with a shield and also rolling ball capabilities?

Ah gently caress it, it's still a pretty awesome idea and I want one.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
I assume he made a mech suit out of a droid corpse.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I always thought the droidekas looked stupid, but they were apparently designed by a species called the Colicoids, which looked like this:

And I suppose it kinda makes sense in a "build your droids to look like you" kind of way.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
I liked the way they could roll up into a ball to move quickly and when you got to play as them in battlefront 2 it kicked all kinds of rear end.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I always thought the droidekas looked stupid, but they were apparently designed by a species called the Colicoids, which looked like this:

And I suppose it kinda makes sense in a "build your droids to look like you" kind of way.

That's kind of a clever wordplay, since it's a take on "scolio" (crooked, as in a centipede) and some Greek/Latin scientific names for various insects.

Also, they could've just built recliners instead of BF2-ruining robots but war is hell.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

This creature disgusts me.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Now I want to see the species that designed R2-D2 or BB8.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I'm gonna assume they sound like and also built Hedonismbot.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It's an interesting idea, but I don't think it really works all that well. The aliens don't really seem to present the things I think of most about destroyer droids like the eye stalks or the "hairstyle" that forms a big part of the wheel. Maybe the other depictions are a little better.

According to the EU, vulture droids are also supposed to be made in the image of their creators, but there's no official depictions. I'm not really sure how you'd get a species that looks anything like this and could still use tools.

I think various aliens making droids in their image or prioritizing different aesthetics is a neat idea, but if you design the alien after the droid, it's always going to be a clunky fit. I think it only really works well with the Geonosians. There's also a thing where some places claim that the IG droids are made vaguely in the image of the Muun since they're both tall and lanky and noseless, but that's a looser fit.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

SlothfulCobra posted:

According to the EU, vulture droids are also supposed to be made in the image of their creators, but there's no official depictions. I'm not really sure how you'd get a species that looks anything like this and could still use tools.

I think various aliens making droids in their image or prioritizing different aesthetics is a neat idea, but if you design the alien after the droid, it's always going to be a clunky fit. I think it only really works well with the Geonosians. There's also a thing where some places claim that the IG droids are made vaguely in the image of the Muun since they're both tall and lanky and noseless, but that's a looser fit.

Well the EU is wrong imo becauuuuuuuuuuuuse

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

reignofevil posted:

Well the EU is wrong imo becauuuuuuuuuuuuse

Cool, when that thing folds up its legs and flies away then I'd believe you.

Also why did they send out three separate monsters to execute three people? Couldn't just one have done the trick? I mean one of the monsters straight up killed the monster-handler and nobody seemed to care. That's like a -1 execution rate.

God drat Attack of the Clones was a terrible movie.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
I'd talk about how you might take a design like that and then decide to make it more adaptable by including features that biology might not have such as space-flight but actually I kinda like imagining the original biological basis for that space-ship would fold its legs up and propel itself through the air by farting really hard.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

That's about the standard amount of OSHA compliance for bloodsports in movies.

It does feel a little like they were making concept art for an arena monster and Lucas just chose "all of them", but of all things you could complain about, nothing seems wrong with the number of monsters. But if you really wanna get it out of your system, I think there's a dome for that.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

SlothfulCobra posted:

It does feel a little like they were making concept art for an arena monster and Lucas just chose "all of them"

The monsters actually had specific design requirements, since Lucas wanted each of the prisoners to have their own creature to deal with.
The Nexu was designed to be an analogue to the big cats used in Roman arenas, the Acklay was requested as a praying mantis / velociraptor hybrid, and the Reek was designed from the horn outwards - Lucas wanted Anakin to break his chain by wrapping it around a beast's horn.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/wpwXa2v.gifv

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Some EU sources said that B1s were meant to resemble dessicated nemoidian corpses, so basically the yellow peril voice aliens ordered up some T-800s for their corpoforce.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

SlothfulCobra posted:

That's about the standard amount of OSHA compliance for bloodsports in movies.

It does feel a little like they were making concept art for an arena monster and Lucas just chose "all of them", but of all things you could complain about, nothing seems wrong with the number of monsters. But if you really wanna get it out of your system, I think there's a dome for that.

I will march to my grave saying Attack of the Clones is the absolute worst Star Wars movie.

Robot Style posted:

The monsters actually had specific design requirements, since Lucas wanted each of the prisoners to have their own creature to deal with.
The Nexu was designed to be an analogue to the big cats used in Roman arenas, the Acklay was requested as a praying mantis / velociraptor hybrid, and the Reek was designed from the horn outwards - Lucas wanted Anakin to break his chain by wrapping it around a beast's horn.

This is actually kind of cool, and I want to believe Lucas had this kind of imagination instead of pointing at spray bottles and telling interns to make them into robots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
where's the “the figure in white shoots off the end of a giant rod and lands next to Anakin, who has just tamed his horny bull” post

e: the original, because all I can find are my posts paraphrasing it