Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
favourite number
This poll is closed.
835 3 2.29%
2 14 10.69%
3,400,981 17 12.98%
11 19 14.50%
21 13 9.92%
7070 12 9.16%
58008 53 40.46%
Total: 131 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

What if a deck builder was also Into the Brach

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!

Help Im Alive posted:

message to: 8 year old me who used to read the dark cloud strategy guide that came with one of my games magazines

i have finally obtained the game in the year 2021 on "playstation 5". everything here is fine - send me your dark cloud knowledge

This is not your past self, but a much more tired person. Dark Cloud is my favourite game. What do you want to know

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Did you hear that for the first time ever you can create your own unique Marvel hero to fight alongside the Avengers?

Looks garbo. Free Firaxis from 2K.

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

FirstAidKite posted:

A dam broke. Every 50~ years Johnstown gets a flood. We're close to one of the rivers and down in the valley but there's no floodwater by us. Possum Springs was based partially on Johnstown and its flood was based on the Johnstown flood.

We've been overdue for the 4th flood. They don't maintain the dams. I can only hope we're not in an area affected by it.

Stay safe FAK.

In games news I finished trails in the sky 3 and firewatch this week. Moving on to Whispers of a Machine, and then outer wilds by the weekend. Video games are... Good

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
i liked the firaxis xcoms(chimera squad is good but not great i felt) so in theory i think they could pull off a good marvel vs demons tactics game. in practice i imagine even if they did it would be meddled into mediocrity. the costume/card stuff screams GaaS integration to me.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Does anyone else ever get a wave of nausea and sense of dread when viewing something like this. I don't know how to elucidate but this is so bad and disappointing that it makes me feel sick

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

deep dish peat moss posted:

Does anyone else ever get a wave of nausea and sense of dread when viewing something like this. I don't know how to elucidate but this is so bad and disappointing that it makes me feel sick

Because you don't want to Create Your Own Hero, you want to play as Insert Existing Hero here.
You don't want to Live Along Side Your Heroes, you want to go on missions.

Yes, it feels very forced and marketed.

Like I'm a huge Marvel fan, but I don't want to be having a slumber party with Blade talking about which vampires we hate the most.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

"Superhero X-Com" is such a good concept and it's easy to get excited when hearing it but then they hammer home a bunch of points that would each ruin it individually but combined just make it something that's so bad that it hurts me by existing. "...deckbuilder!" "and no permadeath!" "You can control a squad of THREE heroes!" "Unlock unique cosmetic costumes for emblematic Marvel superheroes!" (This last one just bothers me because it excludes permadeath if we're using iconic established characters), "Spend hours walking around the hub to find daily activities and hidden collectibles!"

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Sep 1, 2021

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

(This last one just bothers me because it excludes permadeath if we're using iconic established characters)

It would be very fun to have a superhero x-com with random powers and permadeath

And, quite frankly, would fit an X-Men game perfectly

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

time for them to finally release the strikeforce morituri video game

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
once again the marvel games wither in the shadow of Freedom Force

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Quite frankly the game still looks pretty fun to me, assuming it's done well. Only 3 heroes is kind of a shame, and the inclusion of deckbuilding does make me worry that it's a sloppy inclusion because deckbuilders are popular nowadays.

But on the other hand, a deckbuilder tactics game does actually sound pretty interesting.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Waffleman_ posted:

I just got a text that my stepsister is on her way to the hospital, she's gonna have her baby!

stepbrother!! what did you do!?

im sorry. im really sorry that was incredibly unnecessary blame the internet okay

FirstAidKite posted:

A dam broke. Every 50~ years Johnstown gets a flood. We're close to one of the rivers and down in the valley but there's no floodwater by us. Possum Springs was based partially on Johnstown and its flood was based on the Johnstown flood.

We've been overdue for the 4th flood. They don't maintain the dams. I can only hope we're not in an area affected by it.

I want to cast this sinful modern world aside and live with the possums in their beautiful spring

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I will defeat the flood by lighting the sacred rings

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Play posted:

I want to cast this sinful modern world aside and live with the possums in their beautiful spring

If you played Night in the Woods then you probably wouldn't wanna live there

Infinitum posted:

Because you don't want to Create Your Own Hero, you want to play as Insert Existing Hero here.

Like I'm a huge Marvel fan, but I don't want to be having a slumber party with Blade talking about which vampires we hate the most.

Counterpoint: marvel x-com where you are specifically nameless grunts using marvel tech to go up against enemy grunt armies and dealing with various invasions and incursions on a more basic layman level would be pretty rad and cool, but that's not what this is. I'm talking x-com but x-com is SHIELD and you're throwing your agents at aliens still but also at aim, hydra, and other assorted grunt armies.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Infinitum posted:

I also find it hard to believe they're going to do that well with like 20 characters or whatever they're planning.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

There are so many games I wanna play coming out But I somehow am still playing through games I started in like may ?

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Infinitum posted:

...really?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

No yes OK, I want to have a slumber party with Blade and talk about which vampires he hates the most.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

FirstAidKite posted:

If you played Night in the Woods then you probably wouldn't wanna live there

Counterpoint: marvel x-com where you are specifically nameless grunts using marvel tech to go up against enemy grunt armies and dealing with various invasions and incursions on a more basic layman level would be pretty rad and cool, but that's not what this is. I'm talking x-com but x-com is SHIELD and you're throwing your agents at aliens still but also at aim, hydra, and other assorted grunt armies.

So basically a Bob, Agent of Hydra game.

…I’m in.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Infinitum posted:

No yes OK, I want to have a slumber party with Blade and talk about which vampires he hates the most.

:hai:

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
Man I'm so exactly the opposite - I would always rather create my own character and starting my own hero in a world of heroes (and eventually becoming the best) sounds much better than the rest of the Marvel game dreck

But ya it's probably going to be bad

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

AceOfFlames posted:

So basically a Bob, Agent of Hydra game.

…I’m in.

Or a Howling Commandos game

Though a Howling Commandos game would probably fit better as a Commandos clone.

For actually playing as marvel superheroes I'd rather have the beat em ups. The good ones like Ultimate Alliance 1 and 2.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Dog Kisser posted:

Man I'm so exactly the opposite - I would always rather create my own character and starting my own hero in a world of heroes (and eventually becoming the best) sounds much better than the rest of the Marvel game dreck

But ya it's probably going to be bad

I just wish your OC Do Not Steal had a less generic name than “The Hunter”

Like dude, the last thing you want to do with your game is constantly remind the player they could be playing Bloodborne instead.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I'm going to start playing Lake I'll let you know if it's any good!!

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

exquisite tea posted:

I want to know this!

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Midnight Suns chat:

I'm totally cool with a Mass Effect style hub world/conversation dynamics for a Marvel team game even if you can't bone down with Ghost Rider but the rest of that trailer sounds aggressively lame. It's pushing a bunch of selling points that are mediocre are best, Lilith is a total D-lister of a villain, putting a player avatar up against established characters with literal decades of history makes you automatically feel inferior, the deckbuilding mechanic feels awkwardly rammed in and with the combo of that and only getting 3 characters per fight I get the feeling you're going to spend all your time in combat thinking about the cool poo poo you don't have the option to do rather than enjoying whatever morsels of cool poo poo the RNG decides to send your way

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Apparently it's a deckbuilder so I'll probably skip it

Nothing wrong with them just don't care for them

psychoJ
Feb 24, 2011

Smart and cool, handsome, wealthy and so sexy
finished up Psychonauts 2 last night and am also about to finish NMH3, and am looking forward to DEATHLOOP and Lost Judgment this month

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I'm just upset to see Firaxis fresh off the heels of reviving the XCOM franchise and having their own powerful IP deciding to do The Thing That Everyone Is Doing of making a sad-sounding deckbuilder tactics game that wouldn't stand out of the crowd on your phone's app store with a third-party IP, and I know it's going to make them money because Disney has cultivated the kind of fanbase for the MCU that will largely ignore the quality of the game and love it anyway because "I get to be friends with captain america :)". I mean, if you look at Marvel's Avengers' review scores, a pretty universally panned game - you'll see that on Steam they've grown from Mixed to Mostly Positive with a lot of new positive reviews mentioning that they're just happy that they finally added their favorite character.

It's always sad to me when an established studio switches away from their own IPs to make someone else's. Marvel is a popular IP but we've had an absolute deluge of Marvel shoved down our throats for at least the last decade. The first Avengers movie was 9 years ago and it started a little before that and I feel like I haven't been able to stop hearing about Marvel ever since. I was a huge x-men and spiderman fan when I was a kid in the 90s and Marvel Suns is actually even going back to '90s character designs it seems. 5-6 years ago that would have been exciting for me but I'm just so sick of Marvel Everything now.

It's doubly frustrating because if you watch that trailer and imagine it without the Marvel license, what does it even have going for it? The models and textures all look designed to port to mobile and literally every single clip/scene in the entire trailer hides what the actual gameplay looks like. It's just cycling through a bunch of 1-2 second long attack animations and cinematics while talking about how cool Marvel is. I have enough experience with Videogame Trailers to know that this means that at least at this point in development, whoever was in charge of that trailer thought that there wasn't actually anything interesting about the game itself to show us or tell us and so they leaned hamhanded on the IP to draw us in.

I guess it's not the game itself that upsets me so much, but that Firaxis - a studio whose future games I was excited to see - chose to work on something that makes me feel so yucky.

Okay I'll stop complaining about dumb superhero game now.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Sep 1, 2021

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

I can't believe that's not a mobile game.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
wasnt ben brodes company supposed to be working on a card game for marvel lisence?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Gat Out Of Hell isn't as bad as I remember but it's still basically just a minigame collection

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Honestly I would probably give Midnight Suns a shot. I'm a bit of a mark for a decent deckbuilder these days and strategy games have always been my thing. If the gameplay reviews well I might try it.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Should I hold out hope that the new Aliens game is any good

FirstAidKite posted:

Or a Howling Commandos game

Though a Howling Commandos game would probably fit better as a Commandos clone.

For actually playing as marvel superheroes I'd rather have the beat em ups. The good ones like Ultimate Alliance 1 and 2.

My big idea for a Marvel game with big appeal is a Musou/Dynasty Warriors style game where the opponents are either the Skrulls or The Kree, and they can fit about 15-20 characters in the base game, then offer DLC for weirdos like myself whose favorite character is Multiple Man

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Sep 3, 2021

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

El Gallinero Gros posted:

On Waypoint Austin, Cado and Rob didn’t say it was good, but they had a lot of fun with it (it depends on how much you like Aliens they said).

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

exquisite tea posted:

the writing and acting felt cheesy in the demo but I'm hoping that it is a chill and healin' game for people

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Playing more Xenogears. Chu-chu just got introduced to the story and I already hate her.

[edit] ooooh chu-chu and fei are going to make out, never mind what I said before.

I said come in! fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Sep 2, 2021

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

El Gallinero Gros posted:

It's pretty fun. It's clearly the studio's first game so there are a few mistakes of inexperience, there's not as much polish as you might hope on animations, it's a little short on content right now - but there's nothing explicitly "bad" about it. I went in with low expectations but was surprised by it, I played for 13 hours before feeling like I'd had enough of the current content, and 13 hours for a shooter is a lot for me. The only reason I'm not recommending it as A Good Game to interested parties currently is because there are only 12 missions (and one simple horde mode map) and while the narrative/handler chat/etc are fairly dynamic in some interesting ways in them, the missions themselves are the same each time you play them

Context: I've always thought xenomorphs make for a cool enemy but I've only seen the first 2 movies and am by no means a megafan

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Sep 2, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Context: I've always thought xenomorphs make for a cool enemy but I've only seen the first 2 movies and am by no means a megafan

that’s all the alien movies there are. some people might claim otherwise. don’t be fooled