Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...
This made me realize I have several kits I will never touch, most of them cool. So I think I'm going to host a different contest, myself, for Sept. / Oct. with a theme of trying new things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

overlordbunny
Feb 16, 2011

So I finally finished the Molga. These are almost needlessly complex, the pilot is 4 parts.
http://imgur.com/a/c09NmEM

On to the next one.

And done with that

overlordbunny fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Aug 30, 2021

Sykic
Feb 9, 2004

Resist! Humanity demands it! Resist!

Couldn't get a good shot of the models and the date, not having two phones on hand sucks, hopefully enough is showing. Wish I'd known action bases counted too, I've probably missed a few points on previous builds :v:

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
I thought the date only mattered on the picture of unbuilt sprues. If you post a picture of a completed model while the event is still running, we know it was done on time

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
BearGuys creep me out.

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?

Long Graze.
Something felt a little off about the plastic on this one. Especially the black sprue.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Arc Hammer posted:

BearGuys creep me out.

Is it the abs/ dick nub?

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

Hell yeah! My Mk-V is finally on its way to me. Only took about 9 months.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
There's just a little under sixteen hours from the time of this post, for anybody with last-minute Backlogust entries. Get 'em in now!

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Someone’s gonna unveil the 1:1 gundam they’ve been putting off until now

Glorified Scrivener
May 4, 2007

His tongue it could not speak, but only flatter.
And the Bearguy is assembled. Double shift at work today, but I'll panel line and clean some stuff up afterwards.

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

Haze'n-thley II done! Assembled as a mobile suit:

But I like it better as a mobile armor:

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

I didn't know that transformed, may have to pick that up at some point.

Submission update!

Finished up the actions bases, used one for the Turn X and the other two I'm not sure what to use them for yet.

I have an expansion/action base for my RG Nu I'm going to hammer out.

And since I'm out of kits I haven't started out, I plan on finishing this up for partial points., I've only done the head and chest (pictured in the corner) so I'm not that deep into the build process.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
Picked up the clear color Haze’n-thley II Rah on P-Bandai and I can’t find anything online showing good views of it; guess this is the first print of this particular color?

Either way, these AoZ suits need to be more widely available. They look so goofy but so awesome to me

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."
Hey, I'm in the UK, what's a good store to shop at?

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Sion posted:

Hey, I'm in the UK, what's a good store to shop at?

Gundam Mad is my favourite. The site looks like it hasn't been updated in 10 years, but they often have really varied stock, decent prices and fast shipping.

Japancraft also has a decent selection, but everything is just under one section so it can be hard to look through. They also have a physical store, if you're in the London area.

Gundam Shop is...ok. They never seem to have much stock when I look and for some reason only have pictures of the boxes and not the actual kits.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

Veotax posted:

Gundam Mad is my favourite. The site looks like it hasn't been updated in 10 years, but they often have really varied stock, decent prices and fast shipping.

Japancraft also has a decent selection, but everything is just under one section so it can be hard to look through. They also have a physical store, if you're in the London area.

Gundam Shop is...ok. They never seem to have much stock when I look and for some reason only have pictures of the boxes and not the actual kits.

Man, a lot of these sites do a really bad job of showing off the cool robot you're gonna build :(

Suzaku
Feb 15, 2012

Veotax posted:

At least one shop understands how kits are really displayed. Bonus points of the picture shows then stacked in the closet.

Sykic
Feb 9, 2004

Resist! Humanity demands it! Resist!
And saving the best kit 'til last,

Lockon! Lockon!

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

There are too many color corrective stickers on the MG Nu. This is stupid.

Edit: adding a pic of the RG Nu base with extra funnels.

I've finished the main body of the MG Nu I posted earlier, there are too many stickers to a MG. It's not finished yet but it's getting there, going for the full armor.

Azubah fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Aug 31, 2021

Just Dan Again
Dec 16, 2012

Adventure!
Sneaking one more in under the wire!

Definitely have a lot of learning to do when it comes to panel lining, but big thick lines are probably ok for these HG kits.

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
That's a much better Deathscythe.

I'm also slippin' in with one last kit.

00 Sky.

And just because I can...

And a link to the album for the whole month.
Thank you, Backlogust, you were great. Seriously, thank you to Grassy Gnoll any everyone else for helping me be motivated to get through part of what piled up. Now I'm about to do a long slow project.

Contained for now, but the backlog still burns...

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

That's an awesome backlog.

Final submission for partial points, the MG full armor Nu ver ka.

This thing has weak wrists, weak joints, and overall the full armor makes this one of the less fun kits I built during this process.

And other than a weapon kit or two, I'm done. That's everything. I forgot to include the Zaku, Darth Vader, and the Gouf in the summary pic.

Azubah fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Sep 1, 2021

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

One last one at the deadline (I participated!)

overlordbunny
Feb 16, 2011

Last entry from me.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
Thanks for putting this on. Turns out I just need a contest I have no chance of winning to get me out of my dry spell.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Alright, nippers down! It's officially September in God's own timezone, EST, and that means Backlogust is over. I've got to be a functional adult early in the morning, so final tallies will have to wait a few more hours.

Thanks to everybody who participated. I never expected this to be anything anywhere near as big as it ended up. You all should be proud, though - preliminary count has over a hundred models built for the contest!

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/Diaclone_log/status/1433021826045599745

Excited about this

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Backlogust by the numbers -

Collectively, you assembled 68 High Grades, 12 Real Grades, 18 Master Grades, a Perfect Grade, 12 assorted kits I can't quite classify in Gundam terms, 13 SD models, and of course, five Haros. That's 129 models total, or 4.16 per day. Not too shabby.

Standings

ArcSquad - 1 point
Snowy - 1 point
Droyer - 2 points
El Burbo - 2.5 points
Cat Hatter - 4 points
Glorified Scriviner - 4.5 points
Carteret - 5 points
Overlord Bunny - 5 points
Argas - 6 points
Veotax - 6.5 points
Napoleon Nelson 7 points
Sykic - 8 points
Just Dan Again - 10 points
Pyroclastic - 10.5 points
Koreban - 12 points
Azubah - 34 points
SpikeMcclane - 35.5 points

In what was a vastly closer race than I expected, Spike takes first, followed by Azubah and Koreban.

Average score was 9, while the median was 6 - that sounds pretty comparable, but let's look at it graphically.

Yeah.

I'll be contacting folks through PMs to get their mailing addresses for their prizes over the next day or so. If I can't reach you via PMs, I'll either prod you here or in the Discord, so keep an eye out. Prize levels are a little fluid, so I can't definitively say who's getting what just yet - I'll make another post once I've gotten in touch with all the winners so that nobody's waiting by the metaphorical phone.

Thanks again to everybody who participated in turning a truly staggering amount of plastic into toys.

grassy gnoll fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Sep 2, 2021

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Dang that was close, I should've made those weapon packs lol

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
During backlogust, I tried my first kit of several product lines and did my first custom that wasn't just a straight repaint. And I kind of regret not documenting some of that, which has given me an idea for another contest, assuming mods / the community is cool with it.

Some people might want to pick up a kit or supplies to participate, so I want to give two months. My proposal is that between now and Halloween, anyone who wants to participate, try something new and give a short report or walkthrough of it. Always wanted to try a Zoid? Airbrushing? Decals? Diorama? It doesn't really matter what, gunpla is freedom. Whatever it is, it'll be your first time (this is on the honor system). You might end up with something cool and unexpected. You might fail spectacularly. That's okay. In the words of furry shakira, "I want to try everything. I want to try even though I could fail." And you can win fabulous (or maybe not so fabulous) prizes.

The potential prize pool:

There's a few other things hidden around my place that might get tossed in too, depending on the entries.

How to participate:
1. When you're ready to begin, do the [url="https://www.worldtimeserver.com/current_time_in_US-NY.aspx"]timestamp thing.[url]
2. Come back when you're done and share what you learned. This could be a writeup or review of what you tried or a guide on how to replicate your new skill. This is very open ended, so c'mon, probably put a little effort into it.
3. Want to try something else too? Heck yeah! Do that thing too! I don't mind.
4. Deadline is 11:59 pm EST October 31, 2021. (Although if you have a cool idea, I'll probably grant an extension.)
5. Winners will be picked based entirely on my own whims.
6. There is no number six.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Sounds cool to me. We can give away some title change certs or other upgrades as well to our favorite entries.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
That's good timing; I'm getting ready to build my first ever model (outside of Lego stuff). This gives me an excuse to document the experience!

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Forums posters Overlord Bunny and Just Dan Again, lemme know what email you want me to contact you at so's I can figure out your prizes.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
I have been catalyzed into ordering my first Zoids kit. Let's go

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

grassy gnoll pm me if you feel like you're running out of prizes, I'm happy to augment awards if needed.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
Managed to get the Perfectibility from P-Bandai before it poo poo the bed, so I'm happy about that. Also have an RG Banshee Norn I need to build and the Perfectibility box apparently has extra parts, so might as well slap that poo poo onto it and see how it looks.

But how much of a pain in the rear end is the Banshee (or I guess just RG Unicorns in particular)?

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

The biggest pain point for the RG Unicorns for me is that you need to make sure to properly do all the bends and rotations for the frame bits to break them in before you use them in the build. When I tried to rotate my FA Unicorn's arm without breaking it in before I attached it to the body, the torque cracked open the loops that the arm peg is held in.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Ibblebibble posted:

The biggest pain point for the RG Unicorns for me is that you need to make sure to properly do all the bends and rotations for the frame bits to break them in before you use them in the build. When I tried to rotate my FA Unicorn's arm without breaking it in before I attached it to the body, the torque cracked open the loops that the arm peg is held in.

That's generally a good idea for any frame joints; flex them through their full range a couple of times before you add a lot of stuff around them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

MechaX posted:

Managed to get the Perfectibility from P-Bandai before it poo poo the bed, so I'm happy about that. Also have an RG Banshee Norn I need to build and the Perfectibility box apparently has extra parts, so might as well slap that poo poo onto it and see how it looks.

But how much of a pain in the rear end is the Banshee (or I guess just RG Unicorns in particular)?

I did this, but I failed to get the Earthree dive into dimensions clear. Got the Marsfour instead since I have extra swords.