Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

Heath posted:

Does anybody just boot up this game to play mahjong? I do

the other day i booted up 5 to play mahjong and after a few rounds i thought 'ok i think i'll wander around and do something else in yakuza' and the first thing that happened was a guy stopped me on the street and said 'hey man, wanna go for a round of mahjong?' and took me back to the parlor. it wasn't even a substory, the game just wanted me to keep playing mahjong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

not that i know a ton about it, but it might really be the best way to play riichi mahjong alone? especially the more recent games. the computer players aren't terrible, the documentation is there if you need to check on the scoring (which i think is the hardest thing to learn), you can adjust the rules to your preferences, and the games go quick. same for oicho-kabu and koi-koi.

it's also a good way to learn all of those games because the series is subtle about holding your hand while you figure it out - it's never pushy, but it doesn't just toss you into the deep end.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

it is weird that the series does such a good job with the japanese gambling games that it makes you want to buy hanafuda cards and a mahjong tile set, but that somehow, after six games, the simulated physics for pool is almost universally reviled, lol. darts definitely got better as they made adjustments to it and it (it might be a little too easy in some of the dragon engine games, but it's not really worse), but it seems like their solution to making billiards fun once the dragon engine came out was to throw it in the trash.

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

i learned and practiced playing mahjong in yakuza 0 before going to a game in real life. it's so much better than any other resource out there to learn the fundamentals of how to play.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Hurrrr yeah lemme play mahjong in yakuza instead of MajSoul where I can spend 3000 dollars rolling for gacha babes

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Bicyclops posted:

not that i know a ton about it, but it might really be the best way to play riichi mahjong alone? especially the more recent games. the computer players aren't terrible, the documentation is there if you need to check on the scoring (which i think is the hardest thing to learn), you can adjust the rules to your preferences, and the games go quick. same for oicho-kabu and koi-koi.

it's also a good way to learn all of those games because the series is subtle about holding your hand while you figure it out - it's never pushy, but it doesn't just toss you into the deep end.

I would say it's the best mahjong client except for Nintendo's Clubhouse Games on Switch because that has multiplayer. Otherwise yes it's the best by far

Edit: if you're on PC it has the advantage of being played with a mouse which is just heaven. You can control most things from the mouse. Super chill

Heath fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Sep 1, 2021

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

man. i wish there were a whole game of can quest, it's so drat good lol. ive already hit king of cans but i'm still playing it because its fun. wish there were multiplayer

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

I kept getting wrecked too much in the top difficulty level of can quest to be worthwhile so I had to grind with the lower levels to buy stuff, it got tedious. Probably would've been more fun if I was any good at it

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Wrapped up Like a Dragon and did all substories and the Sujidex, which was less of a chore than I thought it would be. Good ending, ties a nice bow on things. Remaining content seems to be mostly combat related which I'm not that into, looks like my serveral-months-long Yakuza adventures are done :(

There's still Judgement and the new one but eh, maybe next year.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Heath posted:

No because playing against an so isnt interesting. And i can't do daily quests like in mahjong soup

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Fortaleza posted:

There's still Judgement and the new one but eh, maybe next year.

judgement seems like a good game but not the one to end on, which is why i'm slotting between 6 and LaD. by the time i'm finished the new one might be out

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

i didn't finish a single sub story before triggering the next round of cutscenes and suddenly it's 3 chapters later, oops. Hope I have a chance to actually hang out as Kiryu again but it seems like the game is gearing up for the finale now.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

In Training posted:

i didn't finish a single sub story before triggering the next round of cutscenes and suddenly it's 3 chapters later, oops. Hope I have a chance to actually hang out as Kiryu again but it seems like the game is gearing up for the finale now.

lmao, that's 4 for you, the ending really comes fast, outta nowhere.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Bicyclops posted:

lmao, that's 4 for you, the ending really comes fast, outta nowhere.

if you only get to play as Kiryu for 90 minutes after all that I'm going to purchase a physical copy of this game so I can calmly place it in a sock drawer

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

The finale is weird, you'll have time to play as Kiryu and everyone else as much as you like and then go straight to the final fight. It's the best time to play as Kiryu though because all his previous chapters leave stuff inaccessible

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Heath posted:

You think I learned how to play it to not boot it up for fun?

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
It does earn you a lot of money early on :buddy: it was the first thing I did in 7 once it was available and I bought the best weapons I could get

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
man I'm jealous of all of you who get mahjong. i'm like... barely competent. i suck at gin also, i guess my brain isn't good at matching games

i did boot up 0/K2 to just play darts or poker a few times though. gotta level up more in 7 so i can dick around doing substories and minigames and avoiding the main quest

edit: I feel like 7 has a longer beginning part before the world opens up than 0/K1/K2/3... is that just me?

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
No 7 is like a Dragon Quest game in many ways, especially insofar as it takes hours and hours to turn you loose

Riichi mahjong is mostly a game about selective elimination and judging risk, which is what makes it stimulating imo

Once you get the basic idea of what constitutes a winning hand down it all opens up from there (i.e. don't reveal your hand unless you have a dragon triplet, seat wind or round wind or are drat sure you can get one of those quickly)

Getting one of the weird high value hands like 13 Orphans is a huge rush in Yakuza because your poo poo sparkles and you get special rainbow text on your win screen

Or bizarre things like every player discarding the same wind tile on the first round, which apparently just ends the game instantly for some reason

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
Kiwami ranked matches killed my mahjong buzz, the computer cheats like hell.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

welcome posted:

Kiwami ranked matches killed my mahjong buzz, the computer cheats like hell.

i got this feeling and played a game against real people and came first instantly so i stopped playing there and decided the computer cheats.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

were i going to play against real people for money, i would simply search the ground until i found the locker key for whichever coin locker has a lucky tile.

Reprogram Plus
Sep 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1434886740091842560

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

I missed the bit about it being established characters if they go outside Japan, that could be interesting. If they stay in East Asia there’s plenty of existing connections with characters and organizations from China and South Korea that it wouldn’t have to completely reboot everything

One of the cabaret club girls from 6 was from Taiwan and her storyline ends with them talking about moving there together once Kiryu wraps up the game’s plot and I always thought that would have been a nice ending for him.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Yeah... I'm thinking I'm baka

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Shenmue crossover.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

GorfZaplen posted:

Shenmue crossover.

Absolutely. Kiryu is going to team up with Tom in America and beat rear end.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut

In Training posted:

Yeah wtf, I just passed millenium tower on the way to bantam and this was bullshit.

Tanimura wasn't as bad as I'd feared, once he levels up a bit fights go pretty fast. So far Akiyama's been the low point of this game, with his cutscenes/substories/fights all taking a hundred years.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

finally at the the haruka section of 5. sotenbori is the yakuza city i'd most like to visit if it existed. if i ever go to japan i'll have to make it out to Dotonbori, i guess. i got all the tourist photos right away just because i wanted to run around the district and see all the sites, since i hadn't seen them since kiwami 2.

i've finished the trainer, golf, and got some fishing and UFO catcher in. i can't seem to make it past stage 4 of gurnheim or whatever, but i'll get there eventually. don't seem to be any substories yet, so it may be time to do some more of the princess league.

it's okay that i'm picking up the keys with haruka as long as i don't unlock the lockers, right? i'm assuming there are gambling cheat items in there, so i'm saving them for akiyama

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Bicyclops posted:

it's okay that i'm picking up the keys with haruka as long as i don't unlock the lockers, right? i'm assuming there are gambling cheat items in there, so i'm saving them for akiyama
yeah that's fine. There are a couple of points where you can swap between them and I think Akiyama can only open the lockers then, but he can do it in the finale as well so it's not a big deal - just don't open them with Haruka as for some reason she never shares/pools her inventory (that isn't a plot spoiler because there's no real reason for it)

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

yeah that's fine. There are a couple of points where you can swap between them and I think Akiyama can only open the lockers then, but he can do it in the finale as well so it's not a big deal - just don't open them with Haruka as for some reason she never shares/pools her inventory (that isn't a plot spoiler because there's no real reason for it)

thanks, yeah. i remembered someone mentioning something.

also, i'm convinced that the gameshow "Refuse to Lose" is funded by kiryu's real estate company as revenge for all the mini-games he had to play for Haruka's Trust. i was very, very glad that you can lose the pool one and still complete that mission. i also lost air hockey because it was my first time playing it, but i smoked my opponents in bowling and darts.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
If they took as much from Dotonbori when making Sotenbori as they did when they took from Kabukicho when designing Kamurocho it's probably gonna be pretty close. I once just compared the street layouts of Kakubicho and Kumorocho and basically just look. Some alleys aren't shown on the real map and some proportions are different but they are real close.

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
Sotenbori and Dotonbori are also super close, but the street layout doesn't match as well as it does in Kamurocho. in particular, they rotated it 180 for some weird reason; Dotonbori St is actually south of the canal and they put Sotenbori St on the north, and Soemoncho is to the north but they put Shofukucho on the south. Same with the bridges, the wide oval one is to the west and they put it on the east end. But a lot of the shops and restaurants are real (Kani Douraki and Kushikatsu Daruma are real and in their real spots relative to the 180 degree flip, I'm pretty sure) and they got the looks of the canal exactly right imo

edit: lol there's a bug where you can't use unicode chars in url bbcode tags I guess. fixed

Scythe fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Sep 7, 2021

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

It’s funny that most of the real-world stuff incorporated into the series is done subtly enough that you wouldn’t ordinarily wouldn’t be able to tell the difference between the real stores and restaurants and the ones made up for the game.

Then in Judgment you meet the president of Ikinari Steaks outside of the restaurant as one of the friendship events, where he explains to you how their meat is prepared and served while Yagami repeatedly interjects to say stuff like “wow! So that’s how you keep your prices so low, despite how delicious and fresh your steaks are!”

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

The batting center in Kamurocho is real too, would be fun to visit and hit some pitches someday. And iirc that weird out of place looking castle building is also real, not sure what its deal is. Probably doesn't have a secret ex-yakuza society holed up in it IRL

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

It’s funny that most of the real-world stuff incorporated into the series is done subtly enough that you wouldn’t ordinarily wouldn’t be able to tell the difference between the real stores and restaurants and the ones made up for the game.

Then in Judgment you meet the president of Ikinari Steaks outside of the restaurant as one of the friendship events, where he explains to you how their meat is prepared and served while Yagami repeatedly interjects to say stuff like “wow! So that’s how you keep your prices so low, despite how delicious and fresh your steaks are!”

lmao

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

yeah, it's insane the amount of detail they put in. there are a lot of people on like imgur or wherever who will take pictures of themselves next to some of the landmarks with screenshots to compare and with kiwami 2 in particular, you're like "oh wait, all that is real?" i don't think any game has really done it that well for an american city yet.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

The RIZAP stuff in 6 is hilariously on the nose too

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

lol

i feel like there's a little of that going on in 5 with tatsuya. like it's obvious that they can't let him be quite as zany as most trainers and substory characters because he's a real person and his appearance is definitely self-promotion. but yeah, in general they do a pretty good job of integrating the product placement stuff. it helps that as a general rule, everyone in the world of yakuza is desperately trying to sell something or become the absolute master of something, so it feels organic when some dude is like "please, sir, you have to try this -- i absolutely must perfect the greatest ramen in all the world!! it was my father's last wishes to please every customer with a heavenly meal!!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

looking forward to a substory in which a representative from Schwinn ropes kiryu into testing the durability of their bicycles