Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.

SweetBro posted:

Quick question: How does Lich merge spell books work with prestige classes that progress casting like Winter Witch or Mythic Theurge?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

pentyne posted:

I feel like 99% of builds are just going to have to spec towards "ignore DR/immunity" because everything and everyone is stacking DR in general.

Like also, no point in making an electricity build since everything is immune as well.

I mean the good news is that there's a mythic feat you can take with no pre-reqs on anyone that just cancels enemy immunity/resistance to an element so speccing Kineticists and casters towards a specific element is both supported and optimal. There's also one you can take that lets your animal companion ignore all DR which rules.

The downside is that nothing like this exists for most mind-affecting stuff or the laundry list of statuses demons are immune to so most control spells are kinda hosed.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Kobal2 posted:

Oh that's bonkers indeed. Witch/Shaman would love that, but Arcane Trickster is the one that cackles in mad glee. "All right, for my round I cast Free Action Improved Invisibility, Swift Quickened Sneak Attack Fireball, Move Sneak Attack Fireball and Standard Sneak Attack Fireball. That's um... 200 damage to the whole room, give or take. Anything left ? Right. I knew I didn't need to use my *real* spells..."

That's very nice, but if you're fighting demons and play as a full divine caster, a spell in the angel mythic spellbook easily tops that. Admittedly, that spell is "Wrath of the Righteous"...

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

The moment you have a level on the class that can merge(like say a wizard), Lich will advance it as you gain mythic ranks.
So lets say you are wizard 2/two handed fighter 8 and you get lich at mythic rank 3.
You are now a level 5 caster. You also qualify for any prestige. If you keep picking Eldritch knight for the next 8 levels and progress to Mythic rank 6, you will be 5+7(ek misses a caster level)+6= 18 caster level. You can cast lv9 spells.

In a similar vein, you can get cleric lv3, merge sorcerer lv 4 spellbook with lich, and it will advance with Lich mythic rank AND with Mystic theurge progress.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.

JamMasterJim posted:

The moment you have a level on the class that can merge(like say a wizard), Lich will advance it as you gain mythic ranks.
So lets say you are wizard 2/two handed fighter 8 and you get lich at mythic rank 3.
You are now a level 5 caster. You also qualify for any prestige. If you keep picking Eldritch knight for the next 8 levels and progress to Mythic rank 6, you will be 5+7(ek misses a caster level)+6= 18 caster level. You can cast lv9 spells.

In a similar vein, you can get cleric lv3, merge sorcerer lv 4 spellbook with lich, and it will advance with Lich mythic rank AND with Mystic theurge progress.

Thanks, you're awesome!

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

SweetBro posted:

Thanks, you're awesome!

Just a note, that I am not certain if Witch merges with lich. Anything but sorcerer/wizard was wonky.
Heck ,first beta broke down if you went beyond 20 CL with merging.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Are the mythic bonuses and stuff exclusive to the player character or do the companinions also get them?

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

WrightOfWay posted:

Are the mythic bonuses and stuff exclusive to the player character or do the companios also get them?

Companions get generic mythic hero levels , and access to the mythic abilities and mythic feats pool, not the MC's specific path.
But plenty of mythic paths options are for party support as well

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

WrightOfWay posted:

Are the mythic bonuses and stuff exclusive to the player character or do the companinions also get them?

The mythic path itself and all class features are player only.

However, NPCs and the PC get access to Mythic Feats which is a 10 feat progression system that unlocks as you go through the stages of your mythic path.

https://pathfinderwrathoftherighteous.wiki.fextralife.com/Mythic+Feats

FrozenPhoenix71
Jan 9, 2019
Question I'm sure many of you have already fielded a million times: So Wrath of the Righteous popped up in my Steam feed both because it's releasing soon and it overlaps with games I've played before(Divinity: OS2 and Pillars of Eternity 2 the biggest notes). Loved Divinity, and I like Pillars but never finished it(need to get back to that, but life, game backlog, etc.). I've heard not a lot of Pathfinder outside of some musings here and there in Divinity related discussion and basically what I've read in the last couple pages and the OP of this thread. I know the game still has yet to be fully released, but with that stuff in mind, what's the recommendation on picking this up?

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Kind of a vague theory question, what mythic line is best for me?

I intend to play an arcane caster, maybe scroll savant 10/Eldritch knight 10. Something for the second ten anyway. I'm probably not willing to go nightmare evil for my first run so lich and swarm are out. Like I'll make some dick moves inevitably but I'm probably not doing anything where you eat people for fun. So of what remains what's the best for a normalish wizard.

FrozenPhoenix71 posted:

Question I'm sure many of you have already fielded a million times: So Wrath of the Righteous popped up in my Steam feed both because it's releasing soon and it overlaps with games I've played before(Divinity: OS2 and Pillars of Eternity 2 the biggest notes). Loved Divinity, and I like Pillars but never finished it(need to get back to that, but life, game backlog, etc.). I've heard not a lot of Pathfinder outside of some musings here and there in Divinity related discussion and basically what I've read in the last couple pages and the OP of this thread. I know the game still has yet to be fully released, but with that stuff in mind, what's the recommendation on picking this up?

Hard to answer since its not out. I suppose the crucial thing to ask is how into building a character were you? If you were really into minmaxing pathfinder is like a gem for that very specific kind of fixation. If you liked that about Divinity 2 yeah you found your game. I'd get kingmaker on sale if I were you and see if that's kind of your deal. wotr looks like kingmaker after doing a few lines and putting on an interesting costume.

Goofballs fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Sep 1, 2021

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

Goofballs posted:

Kind of a vague theory question, what mythic line is best for me?

I intend to play an arcane caster, maybe scroll savant 10/Eldritch knight 10. Something for the second ten anyway. I'm probably not willing to go nightmare evil for my first run so lich and swarm are out. Like I'll make some dick moves inevitably but I'm probably not doing anything where you eat people for fun. So of what remains what's the best for a normalish wizard.

Azata gets abilities that augment arcane casting (one lets you target multiple enemies with single target spells) and Demon has powers that let you stack spell DC super high (and you can eventually opt into a late game path if things get too squeamish). Aeon would be good for a pure caster who operates in a support role or spams summons like Abyssal Sorc.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

FrozenPhoenix71 posted:

Pathfinder is the hyper-grog end of Dungeons and Dragons. Lots of little numbers, lots of magic items, lots of spells and abilities.

Owlcat's last game, Kingmaker, released in a wildly bad and buggy state but they put the time into fixing it and it's an unambiguous recommend at this point if you like (e.g.) Divinity, Pillars and Baldurs Gate.

Wrath of the Righteous is more of the same, but more so, and is probably worth picking up at some point based on what you like.

However waiting to see the state it releases in is always wise, and particularly with this one; there's gonna be some level of bugginess.

In the meantime, if you see Kingmaker for cheap it's worth getting; the turnbased/real time mechanics are the best out there, and while it kind of shits the bed at the end with an utterly brutal difficulty spike, that's easily 120+ hours of excellent and absorbing gameplay before you get there.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Wrath of the Righteous is looking to be 1000% improved on basic features and help to new players (in understanding mechanics), if you didn't play Kingmaker before just play WotR now lol

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Perfect Potato posted:

Azata gets abilities that augment arcane casting (one lets you target multiple enemies with single target spells) and Demon has powers that let you stack spell DC super high (and you can eventually opt into a late game path if things get too squeamish). Aeon would be good for a pure caster who operates in a support role or spams summons like Abyssal Sorc.

Cheers, I'll do the the mustache twirling villain on the second run. Sounds like its Azata. Outside bet on trickster.

I really don't want to be big into summons but we get the paths they give us.

Goofballs fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Sep 2, 2021

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
Any thoughts on what classes would fit well with a Magus 20 if I end up going Legend on this first run? (also eyeing Aeon and maybe Angel but I kinda want a backup idea in case neither of those work for me story-wise. Saving Azata and Trickster for other characters they fit better, not really vibing with Gold Dragon/Demon/Lich/Swarm).

My first thought is a dip in the Student of War PrC for Int to AC then maybe going Wizard/EK for access to level 9 spells, but I get the impression that that will take a long-rear end time to pay off. Anyone see something I miss that fits?

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Sep 2, 2021

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

frajaq posted:

Wrath of the Righteous is looking to be 1000% improved on basic features and help to new players (in understanding mechanics), if you didn't play Kingmaker before just play WotR now lol

are there any handy videos summarising the improvements? it all looks more of the same (but more so) from what I've seen.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
is it weird to anyone else they made a big deal of adding in a bunch of classes as stretch goals like Hunter, Cavalier, Skald etc and yet put none of them on any of the companions yet gave us 2 Rangers and 2 Fighters?

rojay
Sep 2, 2000

DeathSandwich posted:

WRT trap choices in pathfinder, building out your character in PF1E is very similar so 3.5 in that you do have to build your character with an endgoal in mind. If you just meander aimlessly between classes and feats you're going to have a lovely time. Building as a generalist that does a little bit of everything is a sure fire way to be lovely at everything.

But also keep in mind that pretty much any monoclass character with a passable feat spread can make it to the end of the game. You don't have to go full neckbeard and do the "I dip into 4 different classes to fully maximize my damage" thing to beat the game on the standard difficulty. If you do want to go down that path, that's what the harder difficulties are for.

If you play the game on the normal/core difficulty, you can run purely single-class characters and not worry too much about picking the wrong feats. There's nothing wrong with people who geek out on dips into two or three classes, but it's entirely unnecessary and I seldom change either my character's class or that of any NPC unless it's clearly how you're supposed to play. I played early access, not the beta, but I think I kept all of the companion characters in the classes they started with.

And for what it's worth, I also played a cavalier in one playthrough - this is before mounts were in - and it was not ideal but certainly worked.

FrozenPhoenix71 posted:

If you enjoyed the Infinity Engine games, you should give Owlcat's Pathfinder games a shot.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Zore posted:

is it weird to anyone else they made a big deal of adding in a bunch of classes as stretch goals like Hunter, Cavalier, Skald etc and yet put none of them on any of the companions yet gave us 2 Rangers and 2 Fighters?

Yep. I would have liked to see Sosiel be a Warpriest, Wendu be a Hunter (or something more interesting than fighter), Nenio be an Arcanist at least.

I guess you need to have two full divine casters but bluh, still awkward.

Helion
Apr 28, 2008
I wanna be a Cavalier on a mount who challenges demons to single combat and runs them through with yon lance. Is that dumb? Am I dumb?

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

sebmojo posted:

are there any handy videos summarising the improvements? it all looks more of the same (but more so) from what I've seen.

stuff like this, some rough info beforehand of what the class is about during character creation

also a LOT more tutorials AND more tooltips on abilities and combat terms

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Helion posted:

I wanna be a Cavalier on a mount who challenges demons to single combat and runs them through with yon lance. Is that dumb? Am I dumb?

no it seems like that's a huge incentive to purchase for a lot of people, especially since you can ride a dragon if you choose correctly.

its not going to be "optimized" but crank the game down to easy and prepare to charge across the battlefield on a dragon while screaming glory to the crusade

rojay
Sep 2, 2000

Helion posted:

You're beautiful just the way you are. Except I don't think lances are in the game.

My understanding is they let you use a spear instead for the increased damage when charging. I could be very wrong.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
The real important question: Is the new Bag of Tricks out yet?

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Helion posted:

IIRC Lances aren't in, but WOTR Cavaliers get mounted bonuses for all spears and polearms, so you can still run them through with yon halberd.

Also: With Regards to any questions about builds specialized around weird / exotic weapons: you get an intelligent weapon that can shapeshift into any weapon you need, so you always have at least one decent weapon. And when it upgrades I believe it gets Heartseeking, which ignores concealment, which given Kingmaker encounter design is a BIG SELLING POINT

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Sep 2, 2021

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Helion posted:

If you're dumb for wanting that, then so am I

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

pentyne posted:

People were clearly using it in the beta builds videos. So like maybe a day or 2 after go live.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

frajaq posted:

stuff like this, some rough info beforehand of what the class is about during character creation

ok yeah that does look better. i'm just hesitant to recommend buying it straight away (though I am lol)

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Goofballs posted:

People were clearly using it in the beta builds videos. So like maybe a day or 2 after go live.

Yeah, I'd expect Bag of Tricks to be released either Day 1 or very shortly thereafter. IIRC they were given special beta access specifically for modding purposes.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

pentyne posted:

it's called Toy Box and i used it all beta it rules

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

frajaq posted:

Well that's encouraging!

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
So... is release at noon on the 2nd or at midnight tonight?

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Memnaelar posted:

So... is release at noon on the 2nd or at midnight tonight?

Owlcat Games posted:

You will be able to play Wrath of the Righteous on the 2nd of September, starting from 19:00 MSK / 18:00 CEST / 12 P.M. EDT / 9 A.M. PDT. A Day One patch will also become available at that moment.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Goodbye workday tomorrow. Nice thinking about you.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Memnaelar posted:

Goodbye workday tomorrow. Nice thinking about you.

I am so glad I wrapped up recent work yesterday :v:

Also yes, if you want to be a cavalier, follow your horsey paste dreams

all classes are good and the game is good. goodness prevails.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Hey, I know very little about Pathfinder, what class should I play if I want to succeed at a lot of dialog skill checks? Bard?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Infinity Gaia posted:

Hey, I know very little about Pathfinder, what class should I play if I want to succeed at a lot of dialog skill checks? Bard?

anyone with charisma as a key stat - bard, sorceror, 10000x Cha-based subclasses. There are a lot of other skills that come up in dialogue too, though, and you often get to pick the best skill in your party so it's fairly forgiving.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

frajaq posted:

Are there any of these without a face cam or annoying twitch overlay? I despise face cams.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Infinity Gaia posted:

The simplest conversation+play class would be a pure sorcerer with a spell guide for what to take.

It's so insanely chill compared to preparation casters, you can make metamagic spells mid battle and use them as a sorcerer. For the last 1/3 of Kingmaker on multiple occasions I'd be mid combat, realize I need a better version of a spell, and just go to the spellbook and add the metamagic feats I needed for a level 2/3 spell to work and use it as a level 7/8.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Sep 2, 2021