Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

oooooo look at jonny richfriends over here

one of my buddies grew up playing in a castle in california cause his friends mom was the housekeeper there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Having a phone line which faintly picked up the local talk radio station. Both ironic and confusing.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Achmed Jones posted:

one of my buddies grew up playing in a castle in california cause his friends mom was the housekeeper there

oh you had friends, huh?! i only had coworkers in the mines. no time for friends.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

President Beep posted:

oh you had friends, huh?! i only had coworkers in the mines. no time for friends.

Look at Gabby Patty over here, with their "coworkers"

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Achmed Jones posted:

i remember as a kid getting to play hide and seek in a church because my friend's mom did some bookkeeping for them or something and we were the only ones in there

the building was only like 20-30 years old but still something spooky about hiding/wandering in a church w/ most of the lights out

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

i remember as a kid getting to play hide and seek in a church because my friend's mom did some bookkeeping for them or something and we were the only ones in there

the building was only like 20-30 years old but still something spooky about hiding/wandering in a church w/ most of the lights out

big same. i used to attend youth group and sometimes we’d have these big group sleepovers at the church. my friend and i would explore all of the building at night. absolute cave darkness in the lower level classrooms. not an old building either.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

President Beep posted:

big same. i used to attend youth group and sometimes we’d have these big group sleepovers at the church. my friend and i would explore all of the building at night. absolute cave darkness in the lower level classrooms. not an old building either.

:stare:

are you me

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
presnidet beep and jim silly-balsl were childhood friends. another entry in the yospos canon

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

iirc jsb is a michigoon by birth…

:tinfoil:

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

cybersmith

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i am too!

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

there are many of us. :ninja:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

i did some satellite smart card loading back in the day. we’d have to hotglue the telephone cord port shut because people would plug in the telephone and dtv would brick that card and soon after brick all cards loaded with that current crack.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

a friend of mine used to do that too. it was awesome to have all the channels. :pirate:

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

<a href="" target="_top">Break out of frames</a>

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

the pirate smartcard we had was updated by typing in incredibly long number strings 4 at a time via the parental lock pin, it was a huge pain in the rear end

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

President Beep posted:

iirc jsb is a michigoon by birth…

:tinfoil:

UP tho. no ones from the UP

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
AHEM

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

BOTH OF US

BOTH OF US

BORH OF US

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Jonny and I represented a 75% reduction in population when we both left the UP

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
lol i pinged the county clerk about tracking down ownership of the grandparents' houses so i could make cash offers to current owners and they kinda passive-aggressively sighed over email and said 'i guess i'll look it up' then ghosted me. I'm pretty sure you could just find an empty house up there and squat for six months and it's legally yours now

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Jonny 290 posted:

lol i pinged the county clerk about tracking down ownership of the grandparents' houses so i could make cash offers to current owners and they kinda passive-aggressively sighed over email and said 'i guess i'll look it up' then ghosted me. I'm pretty sure you could just find an empty house up there and squat for six months and it's legally yours now

what county/municipality is the house in? if you know the address/parcel number there’s a good chance they’ve got their assessing information online and searchable. odds are it’ll be hosted by BS&A

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Iron County. i'll investigate. it's a hard sell though, i found out there's just no broadband available in town, lol. people just live off LTE. i'd go insane

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

word. at least now you can find out who the owners are and send them a letter asking if they have stairs in their house.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
honestly LTE only wouldn't kill me for a couple months a year. Keep a NAS up there loaded the gently caress up with a ton of movies and shows, convince my boss that video-off Zooms are more ecologically friendly, spend a lot of time on the ham rigs chatting with locals. Could be a cool decompression summer routine.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

a short zoom-in on a quickcam achenar style once a week until they agree to do audio only

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_OcArDpS-Y&t=18s

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Jonny 290 posted:

honestly LTE only wouldn't kill me for a couple months a year. Keep a NAS up there loaded the gently caress up with a ton of movies and shows, convince my boss that video-off Zooms are more ecologically friendly, spend a lot of time on the ham rigs chatting with locals. Could be a cool decompression summer routine.

you might be able to score an unlimited connection. i used to abuse the gently caress out of my work VZW account, pulling down like 500 gigs a month and this was almost ten years ago

also wonder if it's close enough to somewhere to set up a point-to-point

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Jonny 290 posted:

Iron County. i'll investigate. it's a hard sell though, i found out there's just no broadband available in town, lol. people just live off LTE. i'd go insane

Charter has like a complete and total monopoly up there. it’s either that or LTE

I have multiple family members who work for Charter and are planning to ride their Cisco training to a better remote network admin job

Charter being like the only tech company up there where you can get real world Big Boy™️ networking experience.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Jonny 290 posted:

maybe you could rig up a little tower to stick a microwave dish on?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

maybe you could rig up a little tower to stick a microwave dish on?

that requires a head-end, and as far as i can tell, there's just no bandwidth in the region. nobody's run fiber to any county central offices b/c they're not spending 79 million bucks to sell broadband to 1000 yokels

The next town over (iron mountain) does have Charter cable modems, and it's on my radar, but prices are high there. a 2/1 bungalow is almost 50k there vs 35k in my hometown. loving real estate inflation !!!!

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
i'll show you the bandwidth of my head-end, but you better believe there'll be inflation

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

DELETE CASCADE posted:

i'll show you the bandwidth of my head-end, but you better believe there'll be inflation

weird, everything's coming across little-endian

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Muskishly oh boy do I have an internet service for you!

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

DELETE CASCADE posted:

+++ATH0

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Hypercard!!! In a computers class as a childe we had to make simple decks with these, I just wish I could comprehend at the time how neat this actually was!

Myst was originally created from HyperCard!

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Macromedia Authorware

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
Old-rear end hypercard games ruled

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

i made a bunch of games in hypercard

still have them somewhere

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Volmarias posted:

Hypercard!!! In a computers class as a childe we had to make simple decks with these, I just wish I could comprehend at the time how neat this actually was!

Myst was originally created from HyperCard!

poo poo yes, we did some hypercard stuff i elementary school! i had dreams of creating a fighting game with it based solely on a CYOA style "click here to block" system. it's a good thing we didn't have a computer with hypercard at home or i might have tried to actually make it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
HyperCard ruled except for only supporting 512×342 black & white for way too long and for not having any way to make real Mac apps

they should have also made a Pro version that was project-oriented, let you design windows and menus and stuff against an application framework and write HyperTalk against the Mac Toolbox itself, and save out an app

if that was 1988-9 HyperCard, Visual Basic would have been DOA and Windows 3 would’ve gone nowhere