Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Softface
Feb 16, 2011

Some things can't be unseen
I've become a victim of my own success.

My Slavic Empire spans from Iceland to Tibet, but I still have lands left to conquer. However, I'm at the vassal limit, and all of my vassals with a few exceptions are kings and queens. Would it be a terrible idea to give away my last few kingdom titles, and possibly duchies, to open up more vassal slots? Is it a better idea to just eat the cumulative 5% penalty for being over the vassal limit? I've never gotten an empire quite this expansive, and I don't want to spend the next 75 years in continuous civil war.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Giving away titles won’t reduce the vassal limit. Give the dukes to other kings, even if it breaks dejure as the drift will eventually fix that. Get the dynasty perk that gives you an extra +10 on the limit. Start merging small kingdoms into larger ones. Or just stop expanding.

Grant independence to all the kingdoms in the far north/east etc that have no meaningful development or tax revenue.

You can also just eat the -95% penalty because you’ve kinda already won and you don’t need all those funds and levies to conquer the weaker edges of the world.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

zoux posted:

Also the other day I was playing as Alfred and was wrapping up Mercia and waiting for Whiteshirt to die so I could invade York. I skipped a crusade request that I thought was for Jerusalem but was in fact for Jorvik, so I scrambled to get in that war so I didn't have some crusader kingdom up in north England. Well the pope didn't take terribly kindly to that and his armies whooped my rear end, so I retreated to lick my wounds and hung out on the border to fight off any mad Norsemen while I waited for the crusade to end. Then, bang, crusade ended due to no longer being valid and I was suddenly the lord of both Lancaster and York. Still don't know what happened there.

Were you the king of England? If you are a Catholic and there is a crusade for your de jure territory you'll be the default beneficiary if it succeeds.

EightDeer
Dec 2, 2011

scaterry posted:

COA designer dev diary! https://pdxint.at/2Y7CRU1
at least 33 fleur de lis at the same time! over a thousand emblems! you can finally have a duck dynasty without pulling from the coa gatcha! HYPE

Did anyone else watch the demonstration video in this diary? I can't be the only one who saw the swastikas added to the HRE flag, right?

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

EightDeer posted:

Did anyone else watch the demonstration video in this diary? I can't be the only one who saw the swastikas added to the HRE flag, right?

it's an african swastika, not a nazi swastika, it's fine

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි
I was working on my Taoist Africa playthrough and spotted the capital of Moldavia in the Sahel.

That area is Orthodox, too.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

One of my son-in-laws inherited the duchy of Friuli. He got into a couple of wars and called me as an ally which I'm fine with as he'd converted to my religion and I figured getting a toe hold in Europe was probably a good idea.

Then as soon as I've landed 8000 troops in Italy the fucker divorces my daughter and becomes a Catholic.

I feel like poo poo like that should just let me peace out but instead I'm stuck trying to get this war to end so I can get back to my life and possibly start avenging myself on this rear end in a top hat who just dumped my daughter.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Just go home

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

PittTheElder posted:

Just go home

I did at first but both sides were evenly matched and the war was dragging on into its 4th year so I just decided to go back and salt the earth.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

For kingdoms that are comprised of one duchy, like Bohemia or Brittany, what do you want your vassal set up to look like. Bohemia, for example, you have five or six counts, so do you give one or both of your two duchies away and put counts under them, do you keep them all counts, what?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

zoux posted:

For kingdoms that are comprised of one duchy, like Bohemia or Brittany, what do you want your vassal set up to look like. Bohemia, for example, you have five or six counts, so do you give one or both of your two duchies away and put counts under them, do you keep them all counts, what?

Assuming you're an emperor here? Early on you still want everyone tiny, but there's possibly some point rather lategame where having large power blocs is fine as you're so totally secure. So if you can't/don't want the duchy due to the opinion malus, just have a single-demense duke/count running the place and others under him, just to keep you under your vassal limit. Can hold onto the king title as long as you care, the covet penalty for small fry is inconsequential.

If you're a smaller king, keep all those duchies to yourself, gently caress 'em. Everyone's a count, they pay you directly, you can rip up those dukedom titles yourself before you'd hand them out.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
What’s the deal with the too many duchies penalty? Like I can have 10 kingdoms but only 2 duchies.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Your guys want those titles. They always want to be ladder climbing. Once they're dukes they'll start coveting your kingdom titles too.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Same reason demesne and vassal limits exist; gamification of something that happened naturally in history.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Oh, I see as I didn't have any kings in my Empire so no one was stressed about that.

Well, I played till the end (Munster > Empire of Britania). What's a good Norse start? Something on the easy side would be good.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Mantis42 posted:

Your guys want those titles. They always want to be ladder climbing. Once they're dukes they'll start coveting your kingdom titles too.

Theres no too many kingdoms penalty though

edit:

Red_Fred posted:

Oh, I see as I didn't have any kings in my Empire so no one was stressed about that.

Well, I played till the end (Munster > Empire of Britania). What's a good Norse start? Something on the easy side would be good.

In my experience, pretty much any norse start is easy mode. They are OP as gently caress

I started my norse game as a count, vassal to the duke of Skane. I had 2 empires on my second ruler

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Sep 2, 2021

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
A historian could swing by and set us straight, but I kinda suspect that some kingdoms where mostly on paper so maybe holding many wasn't any big deal?

edit: But yea I'm kinda surprised there's no 1-2 max limit on kingdoms, it'd probably fit in fine.

Serephina fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Sep 2, 2021

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?

Red_Fred posted:

One of the named starts who have tons of bonus troops would make for the best easy norse game. Pick somewhere on the map, invade your way to it then use the option to start a new state on your final invasion.

My current game, I took Constantinople. Then I'd bite off bits of the byzantine empire every time they'd split or have a civil war or end up weak. Now? I stretch up to Denmark as well as having all of Greece and Turkey.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Haesteinn might be the easiest easy mode character in the game. Even the AI usually ends up conquering half of France with him, and he has some sort of hidden health bonus so living 100+ years with him is trivial.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Red_Fred posted:

Harald Tanglehair is pretty fun, if you're bored of loving around in the British Isles

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Elias_Maluco posted:

Theres no too many kingdoms penalty though

Game balance, because the "1 per Duchy" buildings are super powerful.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Tamba posted:

Game balance, because the "1 per Duchy" buildings are super powerful.

This is part of the reason, buuuuuuut there was a similar penalty in CK2, before those buildings ever existed.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

The game balance is that when you're small, you have an enormous vassal limit, so you could potentially hold 3-4 duchies by yourself and only have count-level vassals which is way too good early game if you own a decent amount of land.

When you start having more kingdoms or an empire, you couldn't possibly hold multiple duchies without butting up against your vassal limit all the time (I've had to give away kingdoms because I had so many duchies in my realm that even having just the dukes I was over vassal limit), and at that point the penalty loses at least part of its punitive reason since you're already kind of encouraged to give those duchies to someone to make all those annoying counts THEIR problem.

I think? I'm kinda dumb at this game despite playing many dozens of hours both in CK2 and CK3.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

Red_Fred posted:

What’s the deal with the too many duchies penalty? Like I can have 10 kingdoms but only 2 duchies.

Holding multiple duchies is relatively powerful, with relatively few drawbacks. Count-level vassals are individually weak and thus easy to deal with, you can hold a big demense without anyone feeling de jure entitled to your counties, and if you're playing as a vassal then having 3+ duchies means you're probably dominating the realm's politics. The penalty is to force you to move up to kingdom and start having vassal dukes, with all the drawbacks and risks they come with.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

PittTheElder posted:

How the hell did your wife inherit a bishopric of all things?

E: I mean I'm guessing you're just not in a male dominated religion?

Happened to me to somehow I guess. I really forget how this happened. I think I found some random woman in the game that had a claim on this theocratic county, married her to someone in my court to bring her into my court, and then invaded it to advance her claim?

How I was able to do this with a woman against a catholic theocracy, or how a woman had this claim to begin with is beyond me. Despite playing this game for 100+ hours I still don't quite understand how it is that women sometimes get or do not get claims. I think I understand the rules but am occasionally surprised.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

SlothBear posted:

Haesteinn might be the easiest easy mode character in the game. Even the AI usually ends up conquering half of France with him, and he has some sort of hidden health bonus so living 100+ years with him is trivial.

It's good stuff.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
whats the best way to get mother of us all do you think? reforming the religion ASAP and keeping a compact Hausa kingdom until you can feudalize or go as wide as possible under an empire title?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Red_Fred posted:

I think it is very specifically because of the Duchy Capital Buildings, which are just outrageously good. You can be a super duke with an insane army, or a King with a huge realm, but not both.

It also allows for small Kingdom titles which is cool. Like it'd be real annoying if you couldn't hold just the four Kingdoms of northern Iberia without your vassals flipping out.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Femtosecond posted:

Happened to me to somehow I guess. I really forget how this happened. I think I found some random woman in the game that had a claim on this theocratic county, married her to someone in my court to bring her into my court, and then invaded it to advance her claim?

How I was able to do this with a woman against a catholic theocracy, or how a woman had this claim to begin with is beyond me. Despite playing this game for 100+ hours I still don't quite understand how it is that women sometimes get or do not get claims. I think I understand the rules but am occasionally surprised.

Well women getting the claims is actually not so hard, women always inherit claims on stuff their parents owned upon parent death. Gender domination has no effect on this that I've ever seen (unlike implicit claims where that does matter I think). And it's not particularly unusual to have Theocratic rulers with children; the AI does not try to marry when Theocratic as far as I can tell, but there is nothing stopping you from appointing somebody who is already married.

But yeah how you managed to press that claim I don't understand at all given that you're a regular ol' Catholic.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
Has there been any discussion of if the console versions mean we will get proper controller support on PC version too?

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

I was playing the game last night and it was borderline playable, and so I quit, and when I did I noticed that there was another instance of CK3 as a background process, taking up poo poo tons of memory? I sat there for minutes after I quit and it was still there. Steam still had the button for "stop playing" instead of "start." Bizarre. It's happened to be once before too. Anyone ever seen this?

The game in general runs fine on my machine but takes like 10 minutes to load because I think I installed it on a hard drive. Going to try to reinstall on my SSD to see how much that improves things.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

PittTheElder posted:

I think it is very specifically because of the Duchy Capital Buildings, which are just outrageously good. You can be a super duke with an insane army, or a King with a huge realm, but not both.

It also allows for small Kingdom titles which is cool. Like it'd be real annoying if you couldn't hold just the four Kingdoms of northern Iberia without your vassals flipping out.

Do you want to stack duchy buildings or build a variety of them? Generally I just make tax offices because I always need gold.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I mean there's nothing wrong with money, but duchy buildings can stack additively in a lot of broken ways. It's been hashed over a lot in here about having huge plus's to your combat troops lets them ignore terrain penalties and roflstomp their way out of being countered, but even more reasonable things like summer palaces can eventually give you such a flat +success that all personal plots are auto-win, and so forth. Stacking is very strong, but then it's a sandbox game so who cares.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Buildings in general all very very powerful, something I just realized in my current game

I focused on norse heavy infantry MaA (veterans and hussarls) and built barrakcs on every county in my domain and blacksmiths has ducky builds for both my duchies.

Eventually, with a domain of 11, I had something like +175% strength on my MaA. I could beat 40K stacks with my 8K MaA easily, with few losses

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

zoux posted:

Do you want to stack duchy buildings or build a variety of them? Generally I just make tax offices because I always need gold.

Stack all day with the military buildings. Armored Cavalry with +30% to +60% damage and a maintenance reduction? Don't mind if I do.

MaA maintenance reductions in general are insanely good and should be stacked at all costs. I've never mathed it out but my gut tells me that -6% MaA maintenance reduction is better than +10% taxes from one duchy anyway.

Guzba
Mar 21, 2009

Raskolnikov38 posted:

whats the best way to get mother of us all do you think? reforming the religion ASAP and keeping a compact Hausa kingdom until you can feudalize or go as wide as possible under an empire title?

I think the general idea is to race to the west to get personal control of the duchy with 2 gold mines in Mali.
Depending on how gamey you feel like being one of the best ways I imagine would be to be very loose with your culture/religion and swap either to more effectively vassalize/gobble up the independents with true ruler.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

PittTheElder posted:

Stack all day with the military buildings. Armored Cavalry with +30% to +60% damage and a maintenance reduction? Don't mind if I do.

MaA maintenance reductions in general are insanely good and should be stacked at all costs. I've never mathed it out but my gut tells me that -6% MaA maintenance reduction is better than +10% taxes from one duchy anyway.

Yup, pick the one you want to focus on and build the corresponding building. If you don't know, pick the knights one.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

so I need some help in harebrained scheming, please

like, how do I do the batshit hilarious stuff such as getting a piece of the HRE as an orthodox noble through shenanigans only without an impossible war? I have some ideas but would like to hear your pro tips for maximum comedy

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Something funny I noticed last game:

I noticed that my vassal was invading the papacy for his claim on the Duchy of Tuscany and since the Papacy is pretty strong I thought this might be a good time to invade myself to advance a claim of someone in my court for a different Duchy in Papacy lands. As soon as I did that it seemed like the other neutral armies vanished and I looked and the other conflict from my vassal over the Duchy of Tuscany had vanished!

Is this just a coincidence or is there some sort of system whereby if a liege starts a war on someone, a subordinate ruler fighting a war against the same subject must end their war?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

How scary are the Mongols in CK3?

Just got back to my Islamic Russia/Scandinavia/Khazaria game after a long break and while I was busy conquering Hungary and Bohemia for fun the Great Khan was inching ever closer and is now on my eastern borders.

I tried to befriend him but it failed and my coward of a king won't seduce him just because "He's not attracted to men" and "homosexually is forbidden".

I have more troops then them but if horse archers are anything as scary as they were in CK2, or in real life, that might not be a deciding factor when they decide to invade.