Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
As someone who binged the first season in a little over a day, I feel like people might be forgetting how the first season felt 6 episodes in?

Like I get the characters have gone from imaginable alchoholic cokeheads with chlamydia (tbh I hope they lean back into this with Jamie Tart despite his newfound teamwork/diplomacy) to harmless sitcom characters who goof about when needed. But the first season wasn't exactly examining this poo poo, it just had a bit more conflict initially with Rebecca. Keeley was still pretty much her best friend constantly gassing her up just as positive as Ted, the SECOND she met Rebcca.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

The 9to5 Mac podcast brought that up, but the first season had a clearer and more direct antagonist with Rebecca (and also Jamie) in the early stages as well so there was more direct conflict even in those early stages.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

VagueRant posted:

But the first season wasn't exactly examining this poo poo, it just had a bit more conflict initially with Rebecca.

And I know I personally, watching week to week, was relieved when everything came clean because I really did not want that leaking into s2.

RacistsSuck
May 3, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
I know it makes me a simpleton moron but I like watching a show about people I like being good to each other in ways that make me laugh.

Every episode this season has had an antagonist, and it's name is "winning soccer games".

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Just when you thought internet chat about Ted Lasso couldn't get any weirder.

https://twitter.com/guymrdth/status/1431815129172168704?s=21

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
It's the immaculate cheeklines of his beard. It's too perfectly edged to be real.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

You can tell that they've been having problems with whatever program they use to create the character's voice this season, too.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I was wondering why he was just standing there in a T pose for most of the season.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Did they seriously think we wouldn't see when Roy sat on a chair, physics glitched through it and then shot across the room?

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I love Always Sunny In Philidelphia, so I'm pretty excited to start watching Mythic Quest. How often do you have to turn off that part of your brain that says "that's not how videogames work" ?

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
It's not too bad, but they definitely take liberties with what MMOs are and how they're played. Honestly the most unrealistic thing is when one character asks the lead programmer to "teach them to code" which is like asking your doctor to teach you medicine.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Your Gay Uncle posted:

I love Always Sunny In Philidelphia, so I'm pretty excited to start watching Mythic Quest. How often do you have to turn off that part of your brain that says "that's not how videogames work" ?

I would say that while the technical aspect may be off (I don't know anything about coding or app/game development) it does nail the current climate in terms of relying on streamers and influencers to make the game popular as well as the various methods of monetization they discuss/employ.

Edit: Wouldn't be surprised if Brad was a toned down version of a guy at every game company.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The show is about making a game, but there's not much actual "making a game" in it. Maybe someone is working on a feature, or trying to get some art asset created, but it's not like it gets into technical mumbo jumbo and some nerd is all caps screaming on twitter "THAT'S NOT HOW YOU COMPILE IN UNITY!" It's not going to get everything right, but it's not CSI "the files are hidden inside Prince of Persia, tighten up the graphics on level three and then six million points when you bonk the goomba" type of completely ignorant poo poo.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
Just saw this trailer and I am entirely here for it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWq7a8Tin8g

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Enjoying Mr. Corman, though I'm a few episodes behind. The second episode's take on panic attacks was both genuinely nerve wriggling in its depiction of anxiety, while also having a sense of humour about the entire thing -- which strikes me as being pretty true to the whole thing.

Really happy to see Bruce Eric Kaplan (Girls, Seinfeld, Six Feet Under) getting work, he's a wonderful tragicomic writer.

The show is very nicely shot and lit too. And it's nice to see Terry Gilliam's visual sensibility still turning up on screen (in the collages here, and in The Good Fight's fifth season finale).

Trig Discipline posted:

Just saw this trailer and I am entirely here for it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWq7a8Tin8g

gently caress yeah Todd Haynes.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Sep 2, 2021

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Finally got around to last week's Lasso and gently caress yeah we're finally getting Roy and Jamie stuff. Unfortunately we also had to endure Ian Wright trying to act.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I assume the motion capture stuff in Mythic Quest isn’t super realistic but it looks good on screen unlike most other game dev stuff.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
https://twitter.com/gizmodo/status/1433475822048796675?s=21

Speaking out for the first time amid a maelstrom of speculation that he is a CGI character, Ted Lasso actor Brett Goldstein took to Instagram on Thursday to confirm that he is a “normal human man” who does “normal human basic things, like rendering and buffering and transferring data.”

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I've had my criticisms of Ted Lasso this season, but if they work in an AI Roy subplot into season 3, all will be forgiven.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Chairman Capone posted:

I've had my criticisms of Ted Lasso this season, but if they work in an AI Roy subplot into season 3, all will be forgiven.

A subplot where EA is making a premier league video game, complete with AI announcer Roy Kent.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Normal human man Roy Kent travels to Pennsylvania and has an encounter with regular human bartender Jackie Daytona.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Really liking Mythic Quest so far after 3 episodes. I think the testing department of an mmo would be more than 2 people and they wouldn't use PS4 controllers, but minor quibbles aside its very enjoyable. God drat, Rob Mchelleny looks great. I guess he decided to keep his shredded body after the last episode of Sunny. Its also great seeing
F. Murray Abraham.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Ted Lasso talk: I think this whole time I've earnestly believed Nate is a teen or early twenties, but I suddenly noticed some graying temples and realised the actor is 40 years old?

Not too sure how old the character is meant to be? Because his 'being a oval office' arc is a lot harder to forgive in a grown up.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Yeah it's pretty bad, albeit believable. The cast was atrociously bad to him at the start of first season, doesn't make it any more sympathetic though.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Yeah, that’s Nick Mohammed - I remember seeing him perform at uni in the mid 2000s and at the Fringe after that - he’s older than he looks.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

MiddleOne posted:

Yeah it's pretty bad, albeit believable. The cast was atrociously bad to him at the start of first season, doesn't make it any more sympathetic though.

I think it does, given his clear history of parental abuse, and, tbh, he doesn't seem that bright. It seems like he literally doesn't understand how to interact with the world in any other way, the powerful pick on the powerless, and he's just replicating this now he's got even a little bit of power.

He's absolutely in the wrong, I'm not gonna pretend otherwise, but when most people in his life are like his father, Jamie, the old coach, Rebecca Season 1 , her ex husband, or even Roy, you get a pretty good sense of where this toxicity stems from.

He needs therapy, support and time, but it's pretty clear both why people wouldn't give it to him and why he thinks he doesn't need it.

Edit: I've now seen the episode, and yeah, that was pretty ugly.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Sep 3, 2021

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Really liking Mythic Quest so far after 3 episodes. I think the testing department of an mmo would be more than 2 people and they wouldn't use PS4 controllers, but minor quibbles aside its very enjoyable. God drat, Rob Mchelleny looks great. I guess he decided to keep his shredded body after the last episode of Sunny. Its also great seeing
F. Murray Abraham.

They do mention at some point a floor of testers elsewhere and that those two just sit in there as part of some gimmick thing.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Its also great seeing
F. Murray Abraham.

His backstory episode in season 2 is probably my favorite of the show. Although technically Abraham himself is only in it for like thirty seconds at the end.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Chairman Capone posted:

His backstory episode in season 2 is probably my favorite of the show. Although technically Abraham himself is only in it for like thirty seconds at the end.

That episode hit me like a truck, I was not expecting anything like that.

when the other writer says it reads “just like” and you know that she knows. Mannnnnn.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
"Whistle!"

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

If you were worried about things not happening in Lasso, suddenly everything is happening. Nate getting a proper bollocking from Beard is something I really want to see play out.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
I think the culmination of this season will be Ted having to sack Nate, as a way of demonstrating that his commitment to coaching people has to have limits

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

Total Meatlove posted:

I think the culmination of this season will be Ted having to sack Nate, as a way of demonstrating that his commitment to coaching people has to have limits

That would be interesting. Also I know we've still got a few more episodes to go, but this season just isn't nearly as good as last season. It feels like it's missing something, but I can't put my finger on it. Maybe a lack of an antagonist? Besides Nate, obviously.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Robobot posted:

That would be interesting. Also I know we've still got a few more episodes to go, but this season just isn't nearly as good as last season. It feels like it's missing something, but I can't put my finger on it. Maybe a lack of an antagonist? Besides Nate, obviously.

I can admit now that 90% of my "not sure about this season" was inability to binge, and 10% was that Xmas episode not doing much for me. Season 2 feels as good as season 1 to me at this point, and I'm genuinely enjoying not having a clue where they're gonna take things.

If anyone made good on their threat to stop watching after the first couple episodes, ya done goofed.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Given the way this season is playing out, I'm guessing we'll see either Will or Nate attempt some form of self harm.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
Oh, don't get me wrong. I still think the show is way better than most other shows, I just don't think they caught that season 1 magic in a bottle with this one and I can't figure out what the difference is.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
Decided to check on Apple Music to see if Roy’s playlist is in there and it was released or at least updated on Wednesday

https://music.apple.com/us/playlist/roy-is-sorry-for-not-understanding-keeley/pl.7d6793a1d83c4858a1942eeb02fc4055

Roy really cares for her to make a 5 hr playlist.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I like that Roy comes across as this cool guy who doesn't take poo poo from anyone, and then he's reading the Da Vinci Code and having his mind blown.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I'm pretty sure the song from the ending scene with Roy and Keely was used in the ending of the same Sex and the City episode with Aidan and Carrie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Nate's a little poo poo so whatever, but I swear to loving god show, if you break up Roy and Keeley we will have loving words :argh: