Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
The best comic currently in the thread is Hitmen for Destiny, followed by Tredlocity.

Makai no Ossan is, as always, read right to left

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Tredlocity just mostly feels like inoffensive fluff to me. I don't dislike it, but I also can't bring myself to care too much about it. I'll read it as long as it gets posted but it's nothing I'd seek out on my own or miss when it ends.

Hitmen for Destiny is legitimately the currently posted comic I'm the most invested in. I know I could just go read it all on its website, but I like following along with the thread.

I also find PFSC great, in its own grey way. And I very much enjoy the Viz comics!

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

The Bogey is a philosopher who knows

Shall we have a bit more Viz then aye?

Buster Gonad and his Unfeasibly Large Testicles

Mickey's Monkey Spunk Moped

Cockney Wanker

I think someone requested The Parkie

I'm fairly sure I've posted Major Misunderstanding before, but have another couple since this is one of my favourite Viz characters

Precambrian
Apr 30, 2008

The relationship stuff in tredlocity is pretty boring because it takes the light, inoffensive tone of the comic and stretches it out over the lowest stakes (was anyone expecting that Val's history of killing people would cause any meaningful drama?), which is just ehhhhhh. The general, less-serial strips are pretty good, though. Makes me crack a smile, and I think that's the target it's trying to hit.

And agreeing on Pupkin as the most weirdly engaging strip in this thread.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Buster Gonad was one of the first Viz characters I ever came across. Back in the day, we borrowed an Amiga from one of my older brother's friends, and among all the game diskettes for it was Viz: The Game. The three playable characters in that was Biffa Bacon, Buster Gonad, and Johnny Fartpants, and you played a minigame to earn bonus tokens and then ran a race. I don't think I ever played it well, but I always remembered a character looking like a Don Martin character with huge balls.

While he doesn't really look like a Don Martin character in above posted page, and it's in no way a perfect match, I'd still say he looks a little more like one in the game.

(I also very fondly remember playing Alien Breed on said borrowed Amiga. Man, that game ruled.)

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

So did Viz ever publish anything that didn't suck?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Precambrian posted:

The relationship stuff in tredlocity is pretty boring because it takes the light, inoffensive tone of the comic and stretches it out over the lowest stakes (was anyone expecting that Val's history of killing people would cause any meaningful drama?), which is just ehhhhhh. The general, less-serial strips are pretty good, though. Makes me crack a smile, and I think that's the target it's trying to hit.

:agreed: on all counts

the main tumblr has a fanart piece someone commissioned of a crossover between tredlocity and rick & morty and I think it's weirdly apropos as there is a lot of the same deconstruction of fantasy/sci fi adventure tropes involved, just presented in a more wholesome and less obnoxious way

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Precambrian posted:

Yeah the jokes are good, the relationship stuff is eh. Like I said before it’s just very self-indulgent

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Yeah, probably my biggest gripe against Tredlocity is that for how much time it spends on character development, nobody actually grows or changes or learns anything and most of the actual relationship arcs are pretty paint-by-numbers.

The one-off strips where it explores a gag from a new direction are its best hits for sure.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Voyager I posted:

Yeah, probably my biggest gripe against Tredlocity is that for how much time it spends on character development, nobody actually grows or changes or learns anything and most of the actual relationship arcs are pretty paint-by-numbers.
It sounds like you've forgotten about Coffee Machine.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Voyager I posted:

Well yeah because there's literally no conflict. It exists in a world entirely free from friction, just glossy brightly coloured orbs all sliding past each other to have a nice time where there's no judgement and even bucaneering violence is completely weightless

I like it fine but if it stopped being posted here I would never think about it again

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

We've all been there little guy :smith:

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

misguided rage posted:

It sounds like you've forgotten about Coffee Machine.

:hmmyes:

some plague rats posted:

Well yeah because there's literally no conflict. It exists in a world entirely free from friction, just glossy brightly coloured orbs all sliding past each other to have a nice time where there's no judgement and even bucaneering violence is completely weightless

I like it fine but if it stopped being posted here I would never think about it again
Harsh but mostly true. The best gags I would keep, and one of my trans friends is enamored with Space Dread.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Arriving from a place that is absolutely filled to the brim with judgement is Clementine

Last two panels are me in PYF about to see that big purple banner again

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

some plague rats posted:

Arriving from a place that is absolutely filled to the brim with judgement is Clementine

Last two panels are me in PYF about to see that big purple banner again

hashtag relatable.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

i loving love clementine

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Ellie Trashcakes posted:

Yeah, they did a few Drunken Bakers strips.

Fanged Lawn Wormy
Jan 4, 2008

SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK!
Rally enjoying learning there was more terrible terrible terrible than I thought. I had seen maybe 1/2 the strips so far and thought that was all there very was.

How much breadcat is there? Why is there that much?

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

OK wtf. I remember as a child I saw that picture in my cousin's British video game magazine, and didn't know at all what it was about and thought the guy on the right just had one of those tweed pants with lots of loose hair. As an adult I am surprised it even got published in an all ages publication

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

some plague rats posted:

Yeah, exactly.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

mind the walrus posted:

:hmmyes:

Harsh but mostly true. The best gags I would keep, and one of my trans friends is enamored with Space Dread.

Yeah all the character development stuff is so unnecessary

When the setup is like "the captain lies to her crew to drag them across the galaxy making no money to meet her online girlfriend she's never seen in person who she also lied to and who doesn't know she's an insanely violent space pirate" and the resolution is "nobody minds at all. everyone has a nice time. we bought some sweaters" why even bother with it???

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

some plague rats posted:

When the setup is like "the captain lies to her crew to drag them across the galaxy making no money to meet her online girlfriend she's never seen in person who she also lied to and who doesn't know she's an insanely violent space pirate" and the resolution is "nobody minds at all. everyone has a nice time. we bought some sweaters" why even bother with it???
because it's fun, sometimes it's fun.

Other times, lying seems like it's fine, but sets up something terrible down the line

sometimes, the author is trying to gas light the audience just as much as the characters in the story.

Marie and The Adventurer's League

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

some plague rats posted:

Yeah, I think that's it. Nobody has to grow because everybody is just already just fine and accepts each other the way they are.

It's hard to do character development well when the strip is predominantly one-off gags or very short stories, but the time they do spend on it isn't particularly good. It kinda seems like the author has mistaken "adding new facts to the character's biography" with depth.

Voyager I has a new favorite as of 19:49 on Sep 4, 2021

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

I see he has been taking lessons from Shaggy and RikRok.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

some plague rats posted:

Because the character development is just in pursuit of building light hearted jokes and simply being a feel good comic.

Which, well, has its places. Just look at slice of life anime where rarely anything bad happens. It’s pretty much taking a page from that. The point is that the characters build relationships and you’re there for the ride and fun things will happen. I love books and comics with tons of depth as well and they’re incredibly interesting, but not everything has to be that. Tredlocity has picked its lane and it’s pretty good for what it sets out to do. It gets a chuckle out of me and has an aesthetic I like.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
I like the bird.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Mr. Fix It posted:

i loving love clementine

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

eating only apples posted:

I love the gay space wizards

I'm gay for the gay space wizards.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I used to read this comic all the time. I can't remember when or why I stopped, but I am surprised to see it's still going.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Ellie Trashcakes posted:

You have in fact landed upon the point of Viz. It was just bored students sitting around and going "What if the Dandy published a comic about monkey spunk??" then knocking together a barely drafted comic where the title is the whole joke. They're the publishing equivalent of drawing a big hairy spunking cock on the chalkboard while teacher is out of the room.

They did print a few decent ones over the years, or at least ones where the joke is slightly more considered than knackers gags. Off the top of my head Drunken Bakers, Daily Male, and Real Ale Twats are all actually worth reading rather than skimming.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I'm so mad that Tredlocity has no character growth. Without drama and action you'll never stand among the greats like Nedroid, Heathcliff, Garfield, Extra Fabulous Comics, Perry Bible Fellowship, Deathbulge, and Oglaf! The characters largely stay the same every chapter like it's a Roadrunner Looney Tunes episode!

I'm so mad that a vein in my neck burst and realized I could just post 80 of these at once and not have to bother for a month.

RareAcumen has a new favorite as of 08:30 on Sep 3, 2021

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
holy poo poo if PFSC was made now it'd have a million dollars, that loving owns.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
pfsc is easily one of my favorite webcomics.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Precambrian posted:

Right - Tredlocity is good, but it leans heavily on fan service, so that a bunch of strips seem to just peeter out with with them forgetting to make a joke. It's still better than most other strips being posted here.

But drat. I'd forgotten how dark PFSC gets. I hope the creator eventually got help.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

some plague rats posted:

I mean it's not really character development. Like has been said-- it's fanservice. It's a semi-idealized world where being an iconoclastic nomad living life like a TTRPG is viable, wholesome, and fulfilling. To a lot of young people, especially those in marginalized groups, that fantasy is deeply deeply appealing in contrast with Hell World. I think the comic could be done a little better, because you were right that a lot of it washes off the brain near-instantly without something deeper than "aww I wish I had that" or "that's a great gag" to hook you, but it's also a silly webcomic-- I don't think it needs to be a load-bearing franchise looking to take Steven Universe's place, and if you ever checked the creator's tumblr it's very obvious they do it to blow off steam and showcase portfolio work while looking for serious gigs. Yeah it could probably be more with investment, but it doesn't need to be for most of its audience to still enjoy and rep for it, myself included.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014

Maybe on Monday

What the gently caress, St Patty's ruined my out-put

It's chinese