Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

galenanorth posted:

I forgot to make sure that "remote" was in the job description for a programming job before applying to an e-commerce start-up, so I got the email

"I am reaching out to you because you applied to a backend developer role that I had in Chicago and I noticed you weren't local. I had a few questions. 1) what is your reason for wanting to move to Chicago? 2) what is your residency status in the U.S. 3) What are you looking for in regards to compensation? [ad says $120k - $175k]"

I suppose my answers must have been worded better than usual, because usually I don't get contacted.

I guess I'll say "I'm very sorry. I forgot to make sure that "remote" was in the job description before applying. [My Name]"

Should go ahead and answer the other two questions? I've never had a programming job, but my answers to the questions on the site like "my experience comes from personal projects" and the absence of any previous job on the resume should have made that clear without having explicitly stated it.

Interviewing is sales. Do the best you can until they tell you no.

1) I would love to work on [job req project], though I would need to do so from [city you live in]. I won't be able to join you in CHicago.
2) Born in the USA
(ASSUMING YOU CURENTLY MAKE $120k OR LESS) 3) I am looking for $170K but I'm really excited about this req so I am negotiable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

I'm also taking care of my mom who just got back from surgery, so I think I can only work 20 hours at most

I probably should have mentioned it

This week, she just got back from the hospital and I was here while a nurse was here, and she showed me how to set up the antibiotics. This morning, I had to take out her colonoscopy bag to the dumpster twice and help hand her things that fell off her bed. It wouldn't be possible for me to work a 9-5 job like that

I guess I had just finished studying database design and PostgreSQL after 1.5 years (really only 2.5 hours/day on average), because studying is something that you can do on your own schedule, and I was rushing into applying again without thinking

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Sep 2, 2021

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I work fully remote and most weeks I only do 6-10 hours of “work”

the time of day that get work done is flexible too

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

galenanorth posted:

I'm also taking care of my mom who just got back from surgery, so I think I can only work 20 hours at most

I probably should have mentioned it

This week, she just got back from the hospital and I was here while a nurse was here, and she showed me how to set up the antibiotics. This morning, I had to take out her colonoscopy bag to the dumpster twice and help hand her things that fell off her bed. It wouldn't be possible for me to work a 9-5 job like that

I guess I had just finished studying database design and PostgreSQL after 1.5 years, because studying is something that you can do on your own schedule, and I was rushing into applying again without thinking

Maybe it would if you were remote tho? It's weird that you're taking yourself down from more money. So what if you fail? If failing is that big of a deal, do 60hr weeks of 30 family 30 job for 2 months until things calm down. You can do it. Get figgies. Get figgies and hire a nurse who your mom can accuse of stealing even tho really your mom hid her jewelry in an old pair of shoes.

American dream.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i mean go for the job and if they fire you the fire you. it's not like you're honorbound to put it on your resume instead of saying "taking care of my sick mom"

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Achmed Jones posted:

i mean go for the job and if they fire you the fire you. it's not like you're honorbound to put it on your resume instead of saying "taking care of my sick mom"

I have seriously thought of forming an LLC just as a plausible "I was consulting" backup plan but then I realized I technically have infinity runway of VC dollars and that its just imposter syndrome because I'm the CEO of a (barely) profitable company.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

you dont need an llc for that! just a sole proprietorship (aka like $50 or whatever to register) and a friend that'll give you a six pack to make a website/dumb app/etc

i did business as "[Jones] Engineering" for some freelance stuff. i dont remember if i ever put it on a resume, but if i did it was right out of grad school before i landed my first normal job (probably to get the normal job)

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Achmed Jones posted:

you dont need an llc for that! just a sole proprietorship (aka like $50 or whatever to register) and a friend that'll give you a six pack to make a website/dumb app/etc

i did business as "[Jones] Engineering" for some freelance stuff. i dont remember if i ever put it on a resume, but if i did it was right out of grad school before i landed my first normal job (probably to get the normal job)

Yea but if you told me that in a phone interview I would have a million follow up questions. 100% a red flag. An LLC visible on the sec of state website is official and, in my state, trivial to make. Yes I will spend 0.07% of my yearly salary to have a 7 year old company registered and current. poo poo looks official when they check you out.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

rigjt, but you can get all that without bothering with an LLC. i also have a registered company for when i was considering selling some software (i decided to give it away instead). you can make an LLC if you want, but just registering a business name and optionally getting a tax number or whatever it was gets you all the way there until you actually need the limited liability provided by an LLC

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Achmed Jones posted:

rigjt, but you can get all that without bothering with an LLC

You can't. The paper trail offered by a 3+ year old company is the whole point. It is the corroboration to your story. Your story being something like:

"I am successfully consulting full time after FAANG, Inc. but my family situation dictates health insurance and steady employment. " This story is as old as time, and having corroborating hard evidence of prior planning is the linchpin to minimize questions.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

CarForumPoster posted:

Yea but if you told me that in a phone interview I would have a million follow up questions. 100% a red flag. An LLC visible on the sec of state website is official and, in my state, trivial to make. Yes I will spend 0.07% of my yearly salary to have a 7 year old company registered and current. poo poo looks official when they check you out.

calling that a red flag is just you being really weird. software developers spending a few years freelancing before looking for a normal job again is incredibly normal and no one gives a gently caress if you bothered to make a llc for it.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

yeah, and i don't know where the relationship between time and an llc is supposed to come in. you're not making sense dude. you do you though

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

wait are you how?

huhu
Feb 24, 2006

huhu posted:

I must vent.

I joined a company after taking a year to job search. I've been there 6 months. In that time, I've had 4 bosses.

For the first two months I worked there, I did not add a single line of code to production because there was nothing to do. I decided to start bringing some order to the nonexistent engineering org, got 100% buy-in to start a decision making meeting (because, for example, we'd sit and talk about how to do PRs for hours without actually implementing anything) and learning hour (because the majority of engineers had <1 year experience or had never worked in a company with more than 1 engineer).

New CTO came in, axed everything I'd worked on in the first month. He's since hired a bunch of people that got to bypass the interview process. They refer to themselves as "the clan" which I saw on a calendar invite one time and not a single member has been at the company for more than a month. That CTO also hired a guy who's got active assault charges against him, they're friends. I got voluntold I was joining "the clan" but turned it down because that's loving weird. Also, the raise would have been for $5k. The other guy who got voluntold to join the clan got a $15k raise. Also, I got demoted and lost my direct report after turning down the promotion. I learned this via an all hands org chart powerpoint slide.

That is just a small part of the things that are hosed with engineering. Also, I haven't even touched on the rest of the company.

End rant.

Hello thread, it's nice to be here again.

Yesterday was my last day. Today they laid off 30% of the company, 50% of the engineers. My glass of "I told yall so" tastes real good tonight.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

huhu posted:

Yesterday was my last day. Today they laid off 30% of the company, 50% of the engineers. My glass of "I told yall so" tastes real good tonight.

How much of "the clan" got laid off?

huhu
Feb 24, 2006

Quackles posted:

How much of "the clan" got laid off?

0 lol.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

huhu posted:

0 lol.

Shoulda joined.

Kernel Sanders
Sep 15, 2020

CarForumPoster posted:

You can't. The paper trail offered by a 3+ year old company is the whole point. It is the corroboration to your story. Your story being something like:

"I am successfully consulting full time after FAANG, Inc. but my family situation dictates health insurance and steady employment. " This story is as old as time, and having corroborating hard evidence of prior planning is the linchpin to minimize questions.

as an aside, this wouldn’t really fly in the eu as all company tax returns are public info and if your company is showing 0 revenue for several years your cover is blown.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Kernel Sanders posted:

as an aside, this wouldn’t really fly in the eu as all company tax returns are public info and if your company is showing 0 revenue for several years your cover is blown.

lol if you think anyone in the recruitment process is gonna spend a second looking this up

Kernel Sanders
Sep 15, 2020
I’d like to refer you to a few pages back where I described a recruiter (threatening)doing just that, but with my personal tax return, in order to strong-arm me to name a number.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Kernel Sanders posted:

I’d like to refer you to a few pages back where I described a recruiter (threatening)doing just that, but with my personal tax return, in order to strong-arm me to name a number.

welp

Did you tell them in no uncertain terms to eat your entire rear end? If nothing else at least they showed their true colors :redflag:

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

champagne posting posted:

welp

Did you tell them in no uncertain terms to eat your entire rear end? If nothing else at least they showed their true colors :redflag:

yea for real

this is what 0⭐️ Indeed, Google and Glassdoor reviews are for

Kernel Sanders
Sep 15, 2020

welp

i machiavellied them by passing the interview, getting the job a deece figgies and promptly telling my new boss about my lovely experience, causing them to drop the recruiter 🤙🏻

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Kernel Sanders posted:

i machiavellied them by passing the interview, getting the job a deece figgies and promptly telling my new boss about my lovely experience, causing them to drop the recruiter 🤙🏻

yea that seems better

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
posting this here as well as job thread

My team has 2 open positions. We make a real-time collaborative web app.

need a strong angular person and a full-stack person that has strength in the backend ideally scala

PM me for more info

exe cummings
Jan 22, 2005

barkbell posted:

strength in the backend

:mmmhmm:

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

barkbell posted:

posting this here as well as job thread

My team has 2 open positions. We make a real-time collaborative web app.

need a strong angular person and a full-stack person that has strength in the backend ideally scala

PM me for more info

remote, where and what are the figgies?

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.

Kernel Sanders posted:

:master:

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

remote, where and what are the figgies?

ya remote, hq denver, 110-150k base i think?

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

once again I am in the market for a sick tech job. EA's frostbite department has blood in the water and its hemorrhaging like crazy, tons of very senior and important talent that's been there for decades is leaving and i feel like the writing is on the wall. i referred a friend of mine a few months ago who got offered the same position i got offered almost 3 years ago and the offer was significantly more than even i am currently being paid. i don't mind sticking with gaming if it pays well, i've got tons of SQL/python/C++/AWS etc experience too so happy to diverge from that, as long as the pay is good because apparently the market is extremely thirsty atm. i'm also open to remote jobs from the USA, preferably west coast, but only really temporarily until my canada citizenship comes through soon, i really hate work from home. for context, i'm in vancouver canada right now.

the six figure question; what comps am i looking at these days?

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

qhat posted:

the six figure question; what comps am i looking at these days?

USA focused but maybe this helps:

CarForumPoster posted:

On that note heres what you should make in for a SW engineer by level and area. This assumes that the levels are 1-6 with 6 being a high technical expert. I only posted 1-5. This is for all company sizes. Generally, Seed/Aeries A round startups will be on the lower side and mega corps will be on the lower side except for the FAANGs.

Heres SF/NYC:
code:
Job	Level	25th	50th	75th
Software Engineering	1	$91k	$110k	$127k
Software Engineering	2	$130k	$150k	$170k
Software Engineering	3	$150k	$170k	$200k
Software Engineering	4	$162k	$180k	$205k
Software Engineering	5	$190k	$200k	$223k
Heres a major hub city like Austin, Denver, DC
code:
Job	Level	25th	50th	75th	Average
Software Engineering	1	$85k	$105k	$115k	$98k
Software Engineering	2	$113k	$130k	$150k	$132k
Software Engineering	3	$128k	$142k	$155k	$148k
Software Engineering	4	$147k	$162k	$180k	$163k
Software Engineering	5	$173k	$194k	$210k	$190k
Here's other cities that arent significant tech ones, but still cities.
code:
Job	Level	25th	50th	75th	Average
Software Engineering	1	$73k	$90k	$106k	$91k
Software Engineering	2	$106k	$131k	$155k	$131k
Software Engineering	3	$125k	$140k	$165k	$146k
Software Engineering	4	$140k	$160k	$180k	$161k
Software Engineering	5	$175k	$198k	$215k	$194k
Software Engineering	6	$180k	$211k	$240k	$206k

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

i don't mean to be the guy who's like tell me the numbers but actually they seem wrong, but is that total comp? because my understanding like 3 years ago was that in SF/NYC, 170k was like the baseline salary without equity/bonus, and undeniably today cash is cheaper and the environment is much nastier for hiring in. 200k for what looks like mid-senior seems a bit low, unless there's a significant equity/bonus portion involved which isn't counted there. but happy to be wrong, will just have to re-adjust expectations.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

qhat posted:

i don't mean to be the guy who's like tell me the numbers but actually they seem wrong, but is that total comp? because my understanding like 3 years ago was that in SF/NYC, 170k was like the baseline salary without equity/bonus, and undeniably today cash is cheaper and the environment is much nastier for hiring in. 200k for what looks like mid-senior seems a bit low, unless there's a significant equity/bonus portion involved which isn't counted there. but happy to be wrong, will just have to re-adjust expectations.

no it’s base only, I shoulda said that

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

For the perennial salary discussion here's some official UK government data on the "going rate" for computer touchers:

gov.uk posted:

2136 Programmers and software development professionals – all jobs England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland 80% of going rate: £26,640(£13.14 per hour)
2137 Web design and development professionals – all jobs England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland 80% of going rate: £20,800(£10.26 per hour)

This makes the going rate for non-web devs £33.3k (or $45k USD before a ~40% tax rate) and for web devs £26k (or $35,765 before a ~35% tax rate).

And people wonder why a lot of the UK devs move to the US.

e: I mean yeah you can get paid £60k-£100k if you're good enough and in a hot location and industry, and even my crappy self somehow gets paid around £50k, but if the above is a typical wage, well, uhm, yeah.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Sep 8, 2021

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

Check out levels.fyi if you want some total comp numbers for faang. Equity ends up being the lions share of comp with it being rare to see base going over 200. I think that's tax advantaged but :shrug: I'm a ones and zeros kind of numbers guy so I have no idea.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Private Speech posted:

For the perennial salary discussion here's some official UK government data on the "going rate" for computer touchers:

This makes the going rate for non-web devs £33.3k (or $45k USD before a ~40% tax rate) and for web devs £26k (or $35,765 before a ~35% tax rate).

e: I mean yeah you can get paid £60k-£100k if you're good enough and in a hot location and industry, and even my crappy self somehow gets paid around £50k, but if the above is a typical wage, well, uhm, yeah.

Comparison in Denmark for salaried employees straight out of university in larger organizations make 37k dkk / monthly, going up to 42k after the first year. On top of this there's pension, usually 4% employer paid you can pay more yourself. On top of this you earn 2.8 (i think may be 2.4) paid vacation days per month worked.

Of course, experienced hands command the fun salaries, I've seen 60k offered for five years experienced senior devs. Then there's freelancing which starts at 650dkk / hour and the sky's the limit

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

Offer letter came through yesterday. The figs are v dece but I'm terrified to pull the trigger, I've been working here forever.

Does anyone have any materials about how to leave an abusive relationship?

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

RokosCockatrice posted:

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

RokosCockatrice posted:

Offer letter came through yesterday. The figs are v dece but I'm terrified to pull the trigger, I've been working here forever.

https://www.theonion.com/health-experts-recommend-standing-up-at-desk-leaving-o-1819577456

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carrier
May 12, 2009

Private Speech posted:

Lol this is depressing. I joined my current job 9 months ago and I'm getting paid £40k-45k (dependant on bonus) for an entry level tech-adjacent sometimes computer touching consultancy position and it sucks rear end and I've been looking to move out into more computer touching positions but those numbers don't make it super appealing lol.