Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

I'm intentionally being as verbose as possible in negotiations for my own amusement.

Travic posted:

I want to learn how to make better sensors in Aurora. What is a good goal to aim for when it comes to active sensors? I built my basic sensors so they'd detect a 10,000 ton ship at 100 million kilometers. What should I be doing instead?

Should I just make a max size sensor and have a few dedicated sensor ships in the fleet? I generally make multi-purpose ships that have their own PD and sensors.

:edit: I also have missile sensors. So that's covered. I just don't remember the stats right now.

AWACS is one doctrine, distributed scouts is another. AWACS was somewhat nerfed in the current version, but really you can do either still. Sensor fighters/drones... i never got it to work very well as a primary system, sensors don't scale down that far very well.

The important thing is more to make several sensors for different purposes - detecting big ships, small ships, and missiles. And then you might want to have bigger and smaller versions to go on beam versus missile ships, battleships versus destroyers, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
I guess what I'm asking is what is a good range for various kinds of sensor? What is considered good?

My anti-ship sensor (10,000 ton) is good at 100 million kilometers.

My anti-missile sensor (Size 6 missile) is good at 3 million kilometers.

Is that acceptable or do I need more range? Do I need a third sensor for FACs and fighters?

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

I'm intentionally being as verbose as possible in negotiations for my own amusement.
The answer is, unfortunately... there is no answer, it depends on your tech and what the enemy is fielding. If you have no enemies yet, design it to counter your own fleet and hope for the best!

If you're facing a lot of 2000 ton ships that slip under your 10k sensor, but your r1 is too close-focused to catch them, fill the gap. If your enemy fields a lot of fighters, consider an r5, or making a bigger r1.

Generally, just see what works and what doesn't. I like to make a lighter r25 that goes out just to standard missile range for 'cruisers' that need to operate independently, and then a big s30-50 r25 for awacs for main fleet elements. Then, a long range r100-200, a close-in r1, and an area defence r1. You can try that too, or just experiment.

Keep in mind that your 3mkm anti missile sensor is probably lying though, the actual range to detect a missile is listed in its stats as 'range to detect msp6 missile', which should be about 1/10th of listed S1 range.

e- and yes, fighters and FACs practically demand specialized equipment. Thankfully they research pretty fast.

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."
Ya, without any hard data on what you might face you just gotta commit to a basic tonnage and weapon loadout, and then design your defenses to protect again those weapons. It is more or less what they have to do in the real world since hard data on enemy ships and weapons could be nonexistent or very wrong. The only weapons you know the performance of 100% are the ones you build, so design your defenses to stop them!

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

The best thing to do, I find, is a large variety of sensor suites in the main fleet and then design an AWACS and new models for after encountering an enemy. It maintains versatility and flexibility while allowing for new stuff to be brought in quite easily.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
makin me wanna play that dumb game

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
Ok thanks for the advice. At the moment I'm just fighting the precursors so I'll design my sensors to counter them.

I used lasers (they shot down all my missiles) and those seemed to work well. I think I'm gonna try particle beams next.

Banemaster
Mar 31, 2010
Finally finished Unity of Command 2's main campaign.

UoC2 is probably most polished and refined grognard game I have played. There is very little missing or very little extra, just very polished game from start to end.

Enemy's airplanes feel like bullshit, though, as enemy can bomb tank division standing on open ground to half strength in single turn. Must be what it felt like in real life...

Are the DLCs for the game good? How different are they from the main campaign?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

So, watching the Pharnakes vs Alikchi slap fight has me jonesing. Anyone looking for a WitP GC PBEM? I’d call myself a beginner to intermediate player, willing to play either side, slight preference to give Japan a shot. Scenario is negotiable, but I’m kinda wanting to try this scenario for maximum logistical pain.

I do (massively) prefer playing on the extended map and new stacking limits, but the scenario selection is negotiable, as are house rules. It’ll probably take me a little while to generate first turn, but I can generally do a couple turns a day with intermittent days (generally Mondays and Tuesdays) where I can’t run a turn. I have no intention of LPing it (I don’t run with animations or combat reports on, I prefer to let the turn process and then read them afterwords) but you’re welcome to, if that’s your thing. I have no shame in my horribleness.

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz
Completed my first campaign of Carrier Command 2. A lot of the recent updates helped, especially the one that made Island blueprints viewable on the logistics screen so you could plot out your ideal chain of captures so you can get your 160mm ammo, cruise missile and torpedo manufacturing online without relying on seemingly random blueprint distribution. I found ground vehicles somewhat superfluous ( apart from the virus bombs ), even without abusing my carrier gun once I was printing ammo, waiting for Walruses to get into position was far less engaging than just having a long range Albatross for target designation, and cycling out my IR missile armed Razorbills, set them to a waypoint or two where they're set to fire on said designated targets and return for rearm ad infinitum ( I still haven't had a Razorbill land upside down, but I've always made sure I wasn't in motion or in high seas when performing air actions ). With 3 shield islands I think I deployed ground vehicles twice to deal with CIWS armed seals twice. After capping 15 islands I managed to run into the Enemy carrier while it was attempting to take a 3 shield island and after 50 torpedoes and a lot of cruise missiles I had to put all power to the engines so I could get to point blank range and nail it with the carrier gun. All in all game good though, I couldn't get the hang of manually flying the aircraft but they fixed the Razorbill's ability to engage ground targets early on, the pacing and poor tutorial might still throw a few people off though. Having played for 53 hours I can say that that the game is fine solo, once you've got your order of battle sorted, although I haven't yet needed to attack a 4 shield island yet.

Dimitris
Apr 11, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
So, micromanagement is now back in vogue? Good to know.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

Banemaster posted:

Finally finished Unity of Command 2's main campaign.

UoC2 is probably most polished and refined grognard game I have played. There is very little missing or very little extra, just very polished game from start to end.

Enemy's airplanes feel like bullshit, though, as enemy can bomb tank division standing on open ground to half strength in single turn. Must be what it felt like in real life...

Are the DLCs for the game good? How different are they from the main campaign?

I find the DLC campaigns to be somewhat harder than the original. German division can only have 2 attachments, and there's less missions before it starts to get difficult so you'll have less time to build up your forces.

The Norwegian campaign especially suffers from relying on lucky retreat for you to capture some of the bonus objective on time.

They do have a few new tricks like able to transfer attachment from further away (so often you are passing that few artillery around to make sure they are in position to fire or let you do set-piece attack the next turn), and the ability for their security division to form up with stragglers on the spot.

I wrote my impression for the Soviet DLC here:

quote:

Played a bit of the new Unity of Command 2 DLC, themed around the Soviet winter counterattack in 1941 (coming out 8/31). Kind of annoyed the game just dropped you in with 5 armies right away and 500 points. Though I guess they are trying to make the scenarios as open as possible now so there's plenty of time for each objective (first mission most objective have a time limit of 6-10 turns, I was able to get most in 2-4 turns).

The scenarios are quite different from before. Instead of facing a wall of entrenched units, now the front is likely to be way more porous. German units are depleted and outnumbered by you, but basically everything can counter attack and inflict heavy losses if you leave your units exposed (as oppose to in the main game where you probably only have to worry about panzer division counter attacking). Expect each scenario to be quite messy and bloody. Maybe the defensive HQ power will now be a good buy?

Attachment selection is massive. You get tons of choices, your staple of artillery and engineer are still probably going to be the most important things to get, but now there's more variation to pick from.
Attachment option in the very first scenario:

As far as I can tell there's no new HQ power (and all the HQ are identical), but there is a new card: artillery preparation, it's a persistent card that allows all your units with artillery to do suppressive fire without suppressing the artillery step and and costing no AP. With some setup it'll allow you to break whole scenario open.

Dimitris
Apr 11, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
If you have ever blamed "that damned RNG" in any game, this is worth a read: https://unherd.com/2021/07/what-warhammer-taught-me-about-life

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Dimitris posted:

If you have ever blamed "that damned RNG" in any game, this is worth a read: https://unherd.com/2021/07/what-warhammer-taught-me-about-life

Warhammer is probably the only bad example to use for this argument as the dice rolling is so insane, tedious, and ultimately kind of pointless in the long run it gets in the way of the fun. It's kind of like saying you should learn randomness using the game that gets randomness so wrong you can't help but notice. If it is possible to build a game that has a skill component (non-random factors, like army selection, skill targetting, command points, and so on in Warhammer) that when played 1000 times washes away the effects of skill to leave just raw random chance (like the exact opposite of the poker example) over time, Warhammer would be the game to do it.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
One thing that I like in the Lock n Load games is the after action report shows you what all the rolls were for each side.

There have been multiple games where I'm like "Go ahead, ROLL ANOTHER ONE, I DARE YOU!" and it does and I throw my hands up in the air. Then at the end of the game the rolls were pretty average. I just got my bad rolls during the more inopportune times so they were more noticeable.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

To the one of you that may have played Battle Worlds: Kronos, does the AI replenish troops if it's not being pressured or is it a faucet that needs to be stopped? I'm on mission 4 and feel I correctly deduced that going left was the right thing to do as I saw the boat replenish dudes from the harbor, but I'm not sure if I was meant to take the southern base first.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

has there ever been a grognard take on the historical 4x genre

Dayton Sports Bar
Oct 31, 2019
I feel like the genre doesn't really lend itself well to serious simulationist treatments, given the general issues with grand historical theories along with the historiographical problems inherent to the genre. Though I guess a grog game doesn't necessarily have to be academically sound - there's probably room for a grog civ with worse UI and more complicated unit stats. Also didn't Matrix publish an Alpha Centauri clone at some point?

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

Yup.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

I'd enjoy one about early explorers mapping out new places. Would obviously require sensitive treatment - doesn't have to be western colonial era ones though. I love maps and that bit in civ where you discover the layout of the world a weird amount though.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
It's not what I would consider Grog but the newly released HUMANKIND is very good if you're into historical 4X games.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I think Shadow Empire counts.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

SE isnt exactly a historical 4x

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Kvlt! posted:

SE isnt exactly a historical 4x

Not yet.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Stairmaster posted:

Civ 4 Caveman to Cosmos?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Stairmaster posted:

Pride of Nations

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

gradenko_2000 posted:

Pride of Nations

for ppl who played victoria 2 and were like, this isn't complicated enough

also processing a turn takes about as long as a game of vicky

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1674170/Sprocket/

Welcome to Sprocket, here's my late-war German-ish tank? I made it.

It just released in early access and is super early but the main feature, namely the ridiculously amazing tank designer is almost fully fleshed out.

Its surprisingly intuitive, you can move the sliders around to get exactly the angle and thickness you want, or you can click and drag on the tank itself to move parts/angles/lengths/etc around as you see fit.

My triangle is probably invincible from the front, but it's slow and useless, maybe because the driver has no space to work in.

This is my take on a slightly less boxy Tiger. It can take on King Tigers from the front, but it's again very slow and unwieldy. I need to figure out how suspension and tracks are supposed to work because I'm bad at them.

tldr: You design a tank within some limitations, then take it into a battle and hopefully you win.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I noticed Unity of Command 2 is on sale for half off. I have the first one, and the graphics were fantastic. The interface etc everything was spot on perfect.

However, it was more of a puzzle game than most. Missions were "You have 5 turns to reach x cities and capture them or you lose!" and you realize you have to take specific routes at full movement speed. You couldn't just set up engagements that would eliminate everything on the way there and enjoy the game. Most grog games have turn limits, and almost always there are more than enough turns to do what you want. Even the Lock and Load missions that are usually around 5-7 turns you will generally be winning or losing by turn 3 so the "pressure" and "puzzle" aspect is all but non-existent from most missions unless you gently caress up or the dice gods laugh at you.

Is UoC2 the same thing? If so, any way to extend the turns?

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

Philthy posted:

I noticed Unity of Command 2 is on sale for half off. I have the first one, and the graphics were fantastic. The interface etc everything was spot on perfect.

However, it was more of a puzzle game than most. Missions were "You have 5 turns to reach x cities and capture them or you lose!" and you realize you have to take specific routes at full movement speed. You couldn't just set up engagements that would eliminate everything on the way there and enjoy the game. Most grog games have turn limits, and almost always there are more than enough turns to do what you want. Even the Lock and Load missions that are usually around 5-7 turns you will generally be winning or losing by turn 3 so the "pressure" and "puzzle" aspect is all but non-existent from most missions unless you gently caress up or the dice gods laugh at you.

UoC2 is more generous in terms of time limit since the scenario has to account for things like card, your force's build up over time, and HQ ability that people may or may not have. On normal and easy you also have more time allowance (as oppose to "classic"). But in general you do have to hurry along for good reason (if you don't capture that bridge in time 3 divisons get deployed on top of it the next turn...but who knows, maybe you massed suppressive fire on it then dropped paratrooper to get an extra attack in to cause a retreat). Also if you don't capture an objective on time their reward decreases but you can still win up to the scenario turn limit (usually 2 turns after the last objective's limit)

pedro0930 fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Sep 1, 2021

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

UoC is a puzzle game where the puzzle fights back - that's what makes it so innovative in this space and (IMO) marks it as being a step head of Panzer Corps and the like. It is also very frustrating if you try and go for max score the first time you play a scenario so try not to do that. The way the objectives are set out does tend to obscure the fact that the base win condition is often actually quite generous.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

Dramicus posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1674170/Sprocket/

Welcome to Sprocket, here's my late-war German-ish tank? I made it.

It just released in early access and is super early but the main feature, namely the ridiculously amazing tank designer is almost fully fleshed out.

Its surprisingly intuitive, you can move the sliders around to get exactly the angle and thickness you want, or you can click and drag on the tank itself to move parts/angles/lengths/etc around as you see fit.

My triangle is probably invincible from the front, but it's slow and useless, maybe because the driver has no space to work in.

This is my take on a slightly less boxy Tiger. It can take on King Tigers from the front, but it's again very slow and unwieldy. I need to figure out how suspension and tracks are supposed to work because I'm bad at them.

tldr: You design a tank within some limitations, then take it into a battle and hopefully you win.

OK there was no way I couldn't get this. Seems pretty impressive all round, but I was trying to experiment wit hull mounted guns, and it seems there's no way to have any traverse at all on hull mounts?

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Philthy posted:

It’s still a puzzle game. Lots of people here like it a lot, but I’m pretty meh about it, precisely because it feels like a puzzle game, where there are maybe three solutions to each mission.

I cannot speak for the new dlc though.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Pharnakes posted:

OK there was no way I couldn't get this. Seems pretty impressive all round, but I was trying to experiment wit hull mounted guns, and it seems there's no way to have any traverse at all on hull mounts?

The azimuth range defaults to 0 on hull mounted but you can increase it in the gun mount settings.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Is there much of a game to Sprocket or is it just an interesting tank editor? Is there any sort of progression?

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Philthy posted:

UoC2 is much less of a puzzle game compared to UoC. I'd say it's to the point where if you want to treat it like a puzzle game with the best/optimal solution it will still feel that way but if you treat it like a hex and counter groggy wargame, it will feel like a hex and counter groggy wargame and not like a puzzle game at all. Especially for your first playthrough.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Popete posted:

Is there much of a game to Sprocket or is it just an interesting tank editor? Is there any sort of progression?

Not yet really. There's a handful of scenarios right now with limited "era" constraints (can't have more than 40mm of armor or shove a massive engine in a WW1 scenario tank for example), but it's super early access right now.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, it just released a week ago. The designer itself seems to be mostly feature-complete, and there are 10 scenarios to test your tank in. By the looks of it they are planning to allow you to design "factions" and pit them against each other. So you could make a bunch of not-germany tanks and then put them up against a bunch of not-ussr tanks of your own design. At the moment your custom tanks go up against a mix of real ww2 tanks like panthers, cromwells, and king tigers and a couple tanks that appear to be fictional.

It's all super early, but it's a really promising start.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
Looks like Armoured Commander 2 has reached 1.0 status.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1292020/Armoured_Commander_II/
The last time I played was over a year ago. Can anyone summarized what's new? I see radio system is added in 1.0, and I imagine there's a lot more campaign and their associated vehicles now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Geoff
Oct 11, 2009
I've just released the sequel to Pacific Fire, Blitzkrieg Fire, on both Android and iOS. It covers WWII in Europe and North Africa - similar to Pacific Fire, it has a mix of smaller scenarios covering specific operations and larger ones spanning the entire war. It introduces some new game mechanics such as encirclements, airborne operations, and strategic bombing - as well as the most requested feature of all screen rotation