Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

they refuse to make any new Front Mission for me, it is very sad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Dual Gear is a thing that exists, kind of "Front Mission by way of Valkyria Chronicles." Still in Early Access, though, and only three missions are out so far. The translation was super rough and drat near unusable last time I checked on it. This might have been fixed since then, but I haven't looked.

Phantom Brigade was going to be something like Front Mission, but at some point it got all Frozen Synapse-y.

There were rumblings about Square-Enix doing stuff with Front Mission assets, but that's no guarantee of an actual Front Mission game. The last game they set in that universe was less than stellar, and the last game they made that actually used the name at all was a third person shooter.

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008

Irony.or.Death posted:

Is there substantial mechanical depth here and content that will reward or demand engaging with that depth, or is the experience more advance wars-y?
Is that statement supposed to imply that Advance Wars is simplistic? Because I might have some bad news in that regards on the games it's being compared to

G Gen is basically a grind simulator somewhat similar to Disgaea. SRW is sometimes jokingly referred to as a Battle Animation Simulator. If you're looking for a real brain teaser then these games won't scratch that itch at all. It's fun mostly for the aesthetics and watching your favourite anime characters interacting with each other and all that.

edit: If we're just recommending Mecha Strategy Games in general, Into the Breach is really nice.

Davzz fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Sep 2, 2021

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Thanks for the info, all. I do still need to give Into the Breach a shot.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
The strategy that exists in SRW is mostly about resource management but there's not much in the way of terrain or really specialized units, just a bunch of variables going into a big squishy damage race. And especially recently the games tend to skew easy so you can use whatever weird team and build you want.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

do any of the series in srw 30th have a cast as absolutely toxic/awful as the cross ange crew? was thinkin about it and that poo poo is maybe my favorite dynamic overall in character interactions in srw v. everyone havin to work out/work around these insane people who are actively trying to kill each other for petty poo poo is both hilarious and great at expounding the cross series interaction stuff

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Really recommend playing without upgrades, feels like the series was built around it and lets units shine individually.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
The L-Gaim quartet spend a significant amount of time being massive dickheads to each-other. The Majestic Princes also tend to snipe at one another but in a more friendly way.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Tae posted:

Really recommend playing without upgrades, feels like the series was built around it and lets units shine individually.

But the 50% (or 25% now?) upgrade bonuses are cool! They're not quite as much as Ace bonuses but a lot of them are pretty individual and neat. Pilot skills I agree though (outside of what's necessary to make skills/Aces work), probably worth playing without jacking everyone's Prevail and Break Morale Limit and letting natural supports be special.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I played all games going back to z and can't imagine playing with upgrades cause the enemies die quick already at base stats. Especially now with the tact system and sp changes.

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Irony.or.Death posted:

Hello thread I like giant robots and strategy games, and am trying to figure out whether these are good srpg games in addition to being full of cool robots.

Is there substantial mechanical depth here and content that will reward or demand engaging with that depth, or is the experience more advance wars-y? How much time do you expect to sink into one of these games?

If you really want mechanical depth, you might want to try srw D or J and play the puzzle robo scenarios. They range from simple to very challenging puzzles. No luck, all skill and mechanics.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

New update on the bandai namco page: https://en.bandainamcoent.eu/super-robot/news/super-robot-wars-30-explanation-of-the-new-system-tactical-area-select

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Irony.or.Death posted:

Hello thread I like giant robots and strategy games, and am trying to figure out whether these are good srpg games in addition to being full of cool robots.

Is there substantial mechanical depth here and content that will reward or demand engaging with that depth, or is the experience more advance wars-y? How much time do you expect to sink into one of these games?
they are good srpgs, but they are not very mechanically deep. or rather, there's a lot of mechanics, but even if you do a specific challenge run there's not a ton of thought that needs to go into it. its about feeling like you're commanding a badass legion of all your favorite anime giant robots, and the mechanics work extremely well at eliciting that. it's about well made attack animations, mechanics that express the characters and robots individuality, and being able to use what you want freely. it does that all extremely well, and its fun to play. as mentioned, for challenge run type stuff where you intentionally limit yourself, it is mostly a game of resource management rather than tactics.

gameplay time ranges from 40ish-60ish hours, with upper ends at the 100s of hours range. if you just want to do one run and only watch animations for bosses and stuff, they're not that long. if you watch most of the animations and play the game multiple times to see all the route splits, you'll be at it for a while.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I hope having to find missions on the map isn't too annoying, but I imagine it's going to get me paranoid (what if I haven't checked a small part of the map and I missed a mission?!). And the in-ship missions sound interesting, beyond having ones that are just dialogue, I wonder what it'd mean to have proper gameplay inside the ship.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Justin_Brett posted:

The L-Gaim quartet spend a significant amount of time being massive dickheads to each-other. The Majestic Princes also tend to snipe at one another but in a more friendly way.

To expand on this, a brief rundown of the L-Gaim protagonists(these aren't significant plot spoilers for L-Gaim but I'll spoil it in case anyone wants to go sight unseen):

-Daba(the main protagonist) is a fairly standard handsome serious brave protagonist guy.

-Kyao, his best buddy and mechanic, starts the series and spends a lot of it as a shallow, self-serving jerk - one of his earliest character beats is thinking about whether they should join the rebel army or the evil emperor's army, and he initially leans towards the latter because he thinks they have cooler uniforms - though above all he's consistently loyal to Daba and grows out of being a dumbass.

-Amu is a dancer-turned-bandit who tries to rob Daba and Kyao, then sees that Daba is totally hot and develops a crush on him and decides to one-sidedly join up with them. She's also hugely vain and selfish and fights with Kyao on a nearly constant basis, but her infatuation with Daba basically means she's constantly trying and failing to trod the tightrope of "being a selfish jerk" and "looking cool to Daba". A lot of her character beats also involve the following:

-Leccee, who is an elite military officer in the evil empire who, like Amu, sees that Daba is totally hot and develops a crush on him and decides to one-sidedly commit treason to join up with them. Unlike Kyao and Amu, she's not a selfish jerk, but she's a combination of pompous rich girl and military elite who thinks Daba is way too good to hang out with these dumbasses and can't understand why he won't just hook up with her and gently caress off somewhere. She exists in basically a constant state of catfighting with Amu about every tiny little microscopic thing because both of them are constantly trying to one up each other to Daba(who remains resolutely uninterested in either of them).

You've also got some great recurring dumbass antagonists, like Gavlet Gablae, who is basically Mashymre from ZZ Gundam except with an even bigger ego, a more important plot role, and without the show throwing him under the bus.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Blaze Dragon posted:

I hope having to find missions on the map isn't too annoying, but I imagine it's going to get me paranoid (what if I haven't checked a small part of the map and I missed a mission?!). And the in-ship missions sound interesting, beyond having ones that are just dialogue, I wonder what it'd mean to have proper gameplay inside the ship.

I sorta hope it'll be a normal mission, but you're using the pilots instead of mechs.

Have Ryoma beat a Zeon grunt to death with his bare hands.

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008
Honestly I think it's more likely it just means they'll go to a simulator room, yes?

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I think I've enjoyed my recent no upgrade runs less than a regular run because it just made the game longer and I don't feel it added any meaningful challenge outside of particular moments. It just kind of made decisions for me as to what units should be fielded and being extra mindful of seishins I guess. Just wasn't for me in the end.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Rascyc posted:

I think I've enjoyed my recent no upgrade runs less than a regular run because it just made the game longer and I don't feel it added any meaningful challenge outside of particular moments. It just kind of made decisions for me as to what units should be fielded and being extra mindful of seishins I guess. Just wasn't for me in the end.

Yeah I'm normally one of the biggest "include options to make the game harder" gong-bashers about SRW, but no upgrades is not a good or fun solution. It removes a huge amount of customization from the game, dramatically narrows unit choice, and mostly just makes everything take a lot longer without really meaningfully increasing the challenge level overall.

The stage in OG2 where you can kill the Inspectors early for secret loot is basically No Upgrades SRW in microcosm - very long, very tedious, and not particularly difficult once you have any idea what you're doing.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
That's why I favor no PP runs instead. You need stats.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Yeah, even just 2 upgrades in everything on a unit makes it so it isn't tedious but still requires some thought for most of the game. 50% upgrade bonuses are too cool though so I usually end up with everyone at least at that level.

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

You touch my burger, and I'll slap you so hard you won't even be able to understand how you fucked up.
I can't do no upgrades or no PP/TacP because I just wanna spend it, make my units powerful and have fun as I blow up the enemy.

Though I do think there needs to be optional harder difficulties outside of no upgrades, for people who want harder games. But if the comment in the interview about time investment is anything to go by, it's probably not a priority right now.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

srw also does not really have the levers to make hard modes interesting. you can make the enemies a bit spongier so you have to actually attack the bosses for a couple turns/bulkier enemies take more than oen attack/etc, but if you tune it too hard the game doesnt get hard, it just gets annoying. its a game of raw numbers.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Caphi posted:

That's why I favor no PP runs instead. You need stats.

But what if my pilots really need to use the bathroom?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Droyer posted:

But what if my pilots really need to use the bathroom?

That's what the G-Self is for.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

chiasaur11 posted:

That's what the G-Self is for.
But the G-Self is only in one game! What do pilots in other games have to use?

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Kanos posted:

You've also got some great recurring dumbass antagonists, like Gavlet Gablae, who is basically Mashymre from ZZ Gundam except with an even bigger ego, a more important plot role, and without the show throwing him under the bus.

Sold on L-Gaim now

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Edit: Nevermind. Joke was too gross.=

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I've been on a huge Nagano kick and I started watching L-Gaim a few days ago. I'm about 11 episodes in and the cast gives me huge prototype ZZ Gundam vibes, I love these dumbasses so much.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
Yeah I'm much the same. Started to get into it in prep for SRW30 and have been intensely enjoying the cast and their general nonsense.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Kitfox88 posted:

Sold on L-Gaim now

It's my favorite Tomino show, and I love Tomino's work in general.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

My fave is still King Gainer but honestly anything comparable to ZZ raises my interest

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The thing that most summarizes the tone of L-Gaim is the gag in the opening episode where a guy they just fought is in pain, begging them to finish him off, and everyone just stands around arguing about who should do it and then they glance over at him and go 'oh, he died.' and then it cuts away.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Endorph posted:

The thing that most summarizes the tone of L-Gaim is the gag in the opening episode where a guy they just fought is in pain, begging them to finish him off, and everyone just stands around arguing about who should do it and then they glance over at him and go 'oh, he died.' and then it cuts away.

So it’s literally just my d&d crew, loving sold and hype as poo poo for it in 30 now

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

some pretty fun mech designs too if youre into the huge 80s angles, ive always thought the d-sserd is rad as hell

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Endorph posted:

Sadly, I just watched the episode, and it isn't quite that perfect. It cuts, but only to a close up as the protagonists discuss the guy's last request.

Still a good bit, and I'm going to see how things go (it's a pretty solid first episode, and that bit was on tone.) but not quite as dark a joke as I was hoping from the description.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Endorph posted:

some pretty fun mech designs too if youre into the huge 80s angles, ive always thought the d-sserd is rad as hell

Yeah the designs are sickass

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Oh yeah this game is going to have L-Gaim in it

I am even more hyped now

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Saw this posted to the SRW reddit, apparently it's the new hud?

I like it, seems neat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
That demo gives some insight to how animations might be this game, there's a couple attacks that have odd jump cuts (V-Dash's shoulder cannons for example) which could take some getting used to if it's common.