Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

epic Kingdom Hearts LP
Feb 17, 2006

What a shame
Yeah, gaming is actually perfect and I love all the extra pixels. I feel like I can see more. That "ignore DPI scaling" thing for games might be the trick. When I scale everything up to 125% in Windows every single issue disappears for me. I also raised the monitor up a bit and it helped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

epic Kingdom Hearts LP posted:

Wow, thank you all for the advice. I really appreciate it. So I have checked all the things suggested in here and everything appears to be set properly. I reset all the settings on my monitor and I have to say that lower brightness makes me very nauseous and it's even more difficult to see anything at all. I use this PC in a room with a lot of natural light and never game in a dark room at night. I always have light going. I need to have it around 60-70. Contrast is set to 60, Sharpness back to the default of 50. Things seem to be a lot better now but I am still getting eye fatigue and strain outside of playing games. I can return this up until the end of September so I'll keep seeing if I can adjust to it. I just went to the eye doctor last month so I'm good there.

Yeah, gaming is actually perfect and I love all the extra pixels. I feel like I can see more. That "ignore DPI scaling" thing for games might be the trick. When I scale everything up to 125% in Windows every single issue disappears for me. I also raised the monitor up a bit and it helped.

Ah, yikes, sorry for the poor advice in that case, really did not mean to make you feel bad :smith:

The pixels on a 24" 1080p screen are almost 20% larger than a 27" 1440p one (pedant note: yes I'm talking about the dot pitch/PPI, not the pixel area), so if your viewing distance stays the same, 125% DPI scaling is very reasonable to get your text back to about the same size as you were used to. Also, most of the LG IPS gaming displays unfortunately have very poor contrast, and additionally they start suffering from further washout at pretty moderate vertical off-axis viewing angles. I can easily see a combination of the monitor being mounted too low, a bright room (potentially with some monitor glare?) and small text making it pretty hard to read text on the monitor.

Hopefully it works better now, but if not, the previously mentioned Gigabyte M27Q may be an option. It has significantly better contrast, but comes with its own set of tradeoffs.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Sep 1, 2021

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
New AUO panel info ... unless you're looking for 1440p in 27": https://tftcentral.co.uk/news/au-optronics-latest-panel-development-plans-july-2021.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

TheFluff posted:

On most TFT monitors the brightness scale is completely nuts for normal household usage. Like, the recommendation that gets thrown around for normal indoor usage is like 100-120 nits, but the upper end of that range is like office with fluorescent lighting territory. In a dimly lit living room at night even 100 nits might be too bright for a lot of people. Meanwhile many monitors ship with a default brightness of like 200-250 nits and to get them to an even remotely reasonable brightness level you need to turn them down to like 10/100 on the brightness setting, or even lower in some cases. I have mine at 6/100 and that's about right except when the sun's shining in through the window.

So, the first thing you do in with a new monitor is to turn the brightness way down, and don't turn it up if it doesn't look washed out/hard to read (at too low settings the contrast tends to suffer). High brightness causes eye strain and headaches but doesn't really make the picture look any better.

Wow, I had no idea and I literally just turned both my monitors down 90 brightness and everything still looks fine. I'm in a basement with basically no natural lighting so I might need to turn it back up a bit in time, but there's definitely a lot more range than I was aware of.

Thank you!

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Arivia posted:

Wow, I had no idea and I literally just turned both my monitors down 90 brightness and everything still looks fine. I'm in a basement with basically no natural lighting so I might need to turn it back up a bit in time, but there's definitely a lot more range than I was aware of.

Thank you!

Glad it was better advice for you! :unsmith:

epic Kingdom Hearts LP
Feb 17, 2006

What a shame

K8.0 posted:

One thing you definitely want to do is make sure you haven't somehow got off RGB color format in your driver settings. 4:2:2 will definitely produce absolutely garbage looking text, and Nvidia's not always been the best about defaulting to RGB when the display supports it.

Just wanted to quote this in case others have this issue. This setting got changed somehow and the minute I changed it back everything looked WAY better. I still don't think the text looks as good as previous monitors I've had but it is now totally readable and it's a trade off I'm willing to make to have my games look so drat good. Thanks again everyone.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Run the cleartype calibrator again. You probably made hosed up choices based on the lacking chroma, and now you can set it back to the default RGB subpixel settings which should look at least as good as any other monitor you've had.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

TheFluff posted:

Glad it was better advice for you! :unsmith:

Yeah! I just have two standard Asus 1080p60 IPS monitors and I'd never really messed with the settings on them since I got them what, 3-5 years ago? I turned the brightness back up to 20 to fix some contrast issues, but it's perfect. Thank you!

epic Kingdom Hearts LP
Feb 17, 2006

What a shame
I ended up returning the monitor because I think this type of IPS panel just doesn't agree with me. I also greatly dislike the over-saturation I've seen on a few IPS monitors. I am currently using the Acer Predator XB241H and I love it. I have a budget of $750 and I'm definitely looking to upgrade. I'm not against a TN panel because it's the most familiar to me but I'm not even sure they exist anymore. I don't think I'm going to jump on the MSI monitor because it uses BGR sub-pixel layout and that can make text look real bad.

I'm looking for a 27" 1440p GSync monitor specifically for gaming and nothing else. If you had this budget, what would you buy?

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
You could take a look at an Odyssey G7. It's a 1440p 240hz VA panel that comes in 27" and 32" varieties. Price shopping you might still be able to get one for $600ish if you're patient. Unlike basically all other VA panels the current top end Samsung VA panels are actually very good and even quite good with dark transitions. There is the horizontal contrast/color shift to worry about, but if you tend to keep your head still and the curve works well for you it might be worth considering.

It's difficult right now because honestly most of the new monitors this year have had a shocking regression in overdrive performance and when the 60-100hz performance is worse than a monitor that cost $300 2 years ago it's hard to recommend a $600 product. I thought we were past the era of really bad static overdrive tuning but it seems to be making a comeback. Someone make a 1440p 240hz IPS with good overdrive already.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
use pcpartpicker's search to narrow down what you're looking for. here's a couple starting places - 27" 1440p 144+ hz (yes, there are still a few TNs around) and 34" 1440p curved ultrawide.

https://pcpartpicker.com/products/monitor/#A=5&r=256001440&D=144000,360000&sort=price&F=685800000&page=1

https://pcpartpicker.com/products/monitor/#r=256001440&D=144000,360000&sort=price&P=1&F=685800000&A=5

https://pcpartpicker.com/products/monitor/#r=344001440&F=863600000,1651000000&D=144000,360000&C=1&A=5&sort=price&page=1

these are "GSync Compatible" which is NVIDIA's branding for certified Adaptive Sync, it's basically as good as GSync nowadays (yeah adaptive overdrive is a thing, but this doesn't seem to translate into any real advantage in ufo tests or other response time tests...), it's compatible with AMD cards, and it's very clearly where the market as a whole is heading. If you want a few more options (especially in the TN panel category) you can check the "Gsync" and "GSync Ultimate" boxes in that category but that will trap you with NVIDIA for another couple product cycles (and AMD is newly resurgent and may even take the lead at the high end in a couple months with their next release). Strongly recommend GSync Compatible here.

haven't been following you (but I did see people saying similar things so maybe this has been suggested) but have you tried messing with the contrast/brightness to bring the IPS monitors back down to earth a bit? Sometimes they ship with like 100% brightness and contrast and that doesn't look good, you probably want them in the middle of the slider and maybe brightness as low as 30-40%. You can also just use the control panel to reduce the saturation in general. If you are really sensitive you also may want to buy a colorimeter (the brand that seems popular in the photography world is the X-Rite i1 series - I'm unclear as to the difference between the models) and you can know that you're getting a proper profile and not something way oversaturated.

the reason I say that is because the IPS are widely considered the best middle-of-the-road panels as far as color/response time/etc. The other options are basically VA and TN (or buy an OLED TV and use it as a monitor - they are coming down in size, there is supposedly a 42" coming next year I think). I recommend against most VA panels due to exceptionally poor response time that leads to obvious ghosting even on the desktop - the Samsung Odyssey G7 and G9 series (and the subsequent Neo models, etc) are an exception, but in general VA is actually going to deliver even more bright+saturated color (in particular if you want good HDR1000 it's either OLED or VA). So if you want less bright+saturated color, that leaves the TN 27" panels, and that's a pretty short list.

XG270HU would be my recommendation there - as mentioned there's a few more options if you enable Gsync (that's the era when those TN monitors were more popular) but that's a dead end as far as the tech. Avoid Newegg and B+H (for whatever you end up getting) as their dead pixel return policies are abysmal. It's not advertised as such but this appears to be a GSync Compatible (nvidia certified) version.

https://smile.amazon.com/Acer-XG270HU-27-inch-FREESYNC-Widescreen/dp/B00VRCLHYS

If you end up going with Acer (any model), their model naming thing is a blight on humanity, so I strongly suggest you post a link to what you're going to buy with what you think it is (XG270HU TN model, with gsync certification, etc) and we can give you a quick sanity check, because there's definitely models that offer both TN and IPS variants under the same "model name" (distinguished only by the random keyboard smashings in the part number). Also that X34 in the PcPP link is definitely the X34GS not the regular X34, but Acer has once again done a lovely job of distinguishing them and some places call it the "X34 GSbmiipphuzx".

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Sep 3, 2021

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I'll second the suggestion of at least looking at a VA panel. Maybe you could even find a G7 demo unit in a retail store near you. As long as it's the 27-inch or 32-inch model, that is. The 28-inch model is completely different in every way—a 4K, IPS flat screen. Why? Because monitor manufacturers love to confuse us, apparently.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I have no idea who "faker" is but if you're willing to "bring his spirit to your game setup," then the 27-inch G7 can be yours for $599: https://www.walmart.com/ip/SAMSUNG-...ull&athena=true

The unbranded version is $699 at most places.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

I also greatly dislike the over-saturation I've seen on a few IPS monitors.

That's likely not an IPS issue but the wide color gamut of the monitors being applied to an sRGB color space (the standard almost all digital content is mastered to, at least till HDR came around). In simple terms, the monitor is stretching the range of colors defined by sRGB to it's native gamut (which is larger). So you'll have more colors and vibrancy, but most things won't look right because they were made with sRGB in mind.

This drove me nuts for weeks. The easy solution is to use the monitor's sRGB setting, but many (most?) monitors limit what settings you can tweak in this mode. Iirc, on the LG you could only adjust the brightness.

Windows is actually supposed to be able to handle sRGB content on wide gamut monitors in wider color spaces (for color managed software), but the problem (afair) is that without a properly calibrated ICC profile (basically the thing that tells your PC how your specific monitor displays things) you'll still end up with an oversaturated image. Getting your monitor calibrated with a custom ICC profile requires special hardware that's gonna cost upwards of $100, unless you can a place that rents it (which still isn't going to be super cheap).

Alternatively you can find profiles on the internet, but those are a crapshoot, and every guide I saw recommended against using them because every screen is unique. I tried a couple that I found for my monitor, and most didn't help. However, one worked perfectly (to my eyes). Except it caused discoloration in iTunes, which I'm still not sure was the profile's fault or a bug in iTunes.

You wouldn't happen to have an AMD GPU, would you? Because I just remembered that when I was scouring the internet for solutions, I learned that AMD's cards allow you to force sRGB emulation on the driver level. Their wording makes it a little opaque but that's apparently what this setting does:

I wish Nvidia had this.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
Someone made a tool that also works as an sRGB clamp for Nvidia GPUs, but since my monitors are sRGB, I haven't had a chance to take it for a spin.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Wow that's great. I'm surprised Nvidia hasn't implemented this themselves yet because it should be such a glaring issue to anyone with a wide gamut monitor without a custom ICC profile (i.e., the vast majority of users).

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
It's frankly a huge selling point for AMD GPUs over Nvidia. Having to pick your monitors based on whether it has sRGB mode or not is so dumb, and definitely not helping people who are looking for both a monitor and GPU. On top of a lot of this stuff applying OS-wide instead of per monitor.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

I've used IPS displays for a years now, but fast IPS is really expensive. People tell me LCDs are just as good now, bit I'm pretty sure these people settled for LCDs. Are they lying to themselves, and to me?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

IPS is LCD. You can also get some decently fast IPS monitors starting at $200 for 1080p or $300 for 1440p nowadays, so I don't know what you're talking about there.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
I bought a LG 32" 1440p 32GN600-B.AUS screen from Walmart for $250 because of a coupon offered on Slickdeals and a 4k LG screen 27UD68-P for like $325 from best buy with a coupon.

I did this taking advantage of budget given to me by my company for a work from home setup.

Don't know much about the 4k display but it's IPS I think? It has a 60hz refresh rate and I just wanted it for color accuracy and the screen real estate.

The 32GN600-B.AUS is a VA screen which I know absolutely nothing about. It does up to 165hz though. Would this be a better gaming monitor than my 144hz Acer TN panel or do VA screens suffer from that blotchy color thing? I've heard VA panels also have darker blacks? Is this true?

epic Kingdom Hearts LP
Feb 17, 2006

What a shame
Thank you all for the advice. I will check all these monitors out. :)

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

CerealKilla420 posted:

I bought a LG 32" 1440p 32GN600-B.AUS screen from Walmart for $250 because of a coupon offered on Slickdeals and a 4k LG screen 27UD68-P for like $325 from best buy with a coupon.

I did this taking advantage of budget given to me by my company for a work from home setup.

Don't know much about the 4k display but it's IPS I think? It has a 60hz refresh rate and I just wanted it for color accuracy and the screen real estate.

The 32GN600-B.AUS is a VA screen which I know absolutely nothing about. It does up to 165hz though. Would this be a better gaming monitor than my 144hz Acer TN panel or do VA screens suffer from that blotchy color thing? I've heard VA panels also have darker blacks? Is this true?

VA panels indeed tend to have darker blacks. Their contrast ratios are much better than IPS and TN contrast ratios. 165Hz is quite good on paper, too. The issue with cheap VA panels however is response times. I haven't seen any testing for the 32GN600 specifically, but I have a feeling that it won't do too great in that department. That could result in blurrier motion with more noticeable ghosting trails than your Acer TN panel. With the really bad VA panels, moving objects/scenery can appear to smear across the screen in dark scenes. I have no idea where your new LG lands in this department, but this is an issue inherent to VA that only Samsung has (mostly) solved so far.

Does anyone have any good resources for looking up a monitor's panel model number? This is something that is left out of basically all professional review coverage, despite how huge of an impact it has on a monitor's performance. It's like reviewing prebuilt PCs without ever mentioning the CPU and GPU that's inside.

epic Kingdom Hearts LP
Feb 17, 2006

What a shame
I've been comparing several monitors and I have settled on this Acer: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/acer-predator-xb273u-gsbmiiprzx-27-wqhd-gaming-monitor-hdmi/6425562.p?skuId=6425562

Does anyone have any experience with it? I have several BB gift cards that would drive the price down so it's worth a try. Also, you guys weren't kidding about the way Acer names their monitors. What in the gently caress?

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

VA panels indeed tend to have darker blacks. Their contrast ratios are much better than IPS and TN contrast ratios. 165Hz is quite good on paper, too. The issue with cheap VA panels however is response times. I haven't seen any testing for the 32GN600 specifically, but I have a feeling that it won't do too great in that department. That could result in blurrier motion with more noticeable ghosting trails than your Acer TN panel. With the really bad VA panels, moving objects/scenery can appear to smear across the screen in dark scenes. I have no idea where your new LG lands in this department, but this is an issue inherent to VA that only Samsung has (mostly) solved so far.

Does anyone have any good resources for looking up a monitor's panel model number? This is something that is left out of basically all professional review coverage, despite how huge of an impact it has on a monitor's performance. It's like reviewing prebuilt PCs without ever mentioning the CPU and GPU that's inside.

I tried it out and my TA panel is 100x better honestly the VA panel sucks.

It's fine though - I'm just going to put it in the study and use it as a part of my WFH setup.

I bought it because it was (on paper at least) the most display I could get for the price on that particular day.

Also 32in is too big for a computer monitor lol

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Many of the late gen TN panels that were coming out at around 2017/2018 before everyone started switching to IPS for high refresh rates are honestly pretty good in terms of responsiveness/motion clarity. My current two displays are the Asus VG245H and the Dell S2417DG. Both have contrast ratios and viewing angles that are total dogshit, but the Dell in particular has surprisingly crisp motion. No shame in sticking with your TN if it's also a good one.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I've been considering stealthily getting at 27" 1440p monitor and sneaking it into my office, but if it's going to happen it needs to be cheap. Other than trawling Craigslist and Facebook marketplace, is there a reliable place for decent used or refurbished monitors?

I don't really care if it's IPS, TN, or VA, and while 75hz would be nice 60hz would be fine. The cheapness is my primary goal.

Any ideas beyond what I've already mentioned?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I've been considering stealthily getting at 27" 1440p monitor and sneaking it into my office, but if it's going to happen it needs to be cheap. Other than trawling Craigslist and Facebook marketplace, is there a reliable place for decent used or refurbished monitors?

I don't really care if it's IPS, TN, or VA, and while 75hz would be nice 60hz would be fine. The cheapness is my primary goal.

Any ideas beyond what I've already mentioned?

I would not gently caress with a used or refurbished monitor. Seems like a good way to get a faulty panel.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I don't care if it's not great. Right now I have an unmatched 20" and 22" inch, neither is FHD, and the 22" is dying to the point of the color fading to blue.

If I can get a cheapass 27" 1440p and "donate" it then it will be a huge improvement. For what I do at work I don't care much at all about dead pixels, don't care at all about motion smearing, and am not terribly concerned about viewing angles.

I've gotten so spoiled by my home 27" 1440p that even using a decent 24" 1080p feels cramped, even with two displays.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The only place I'd feel comfortable buying a refurbished monitor is one where I can return it if the monitor turns out to be a disaster, so that'd be Amazon Warehouse, Best Buy open box deals, etc. Here's a $167 Acer monitor that seems kinda poo poo to begin with and the used description says there are defective pixels: https://www.amazon.com/Acer-V277U-F...se-deals&sr=1-4

For $230, you can get this new Dell S2721D instead that will probably be a of a similar quality to that used panel, but without the wear and tear. https://www.amazon.com/Dell-S2721D-...GY9T2NRAEXEXNS3

No idea if either of these fit your definition of "cheap."

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Sep 4, 2021

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

So my old crappy monitor finally gave up. I was running on a scavenged Samsung P2270HD (I think it might have been an old TV?) with a busted backlight that has been blowing out the right side of the screen for the past... 3 years or so.

But I'm a cheap fucker so I kept using it until this morning when it seems to have lost the ability to keep the screen on for more than one second after a power cycle. Alas I am not willing to play videogames at 1 frame every 10 seconds like I was as a child, so I need a new one.

I'm not looking for anything particualarly fancy and mostly just want something £150 or cheaper, ideally. Mostly I'm just not really sure what to expect from a modern monitor because I haven't bought a new one in a decade or so.

I had a look on PCPartsPicker with this filter set which fits most of my criteria, just not super sure about what IPS/TN means (or even what my old one was) or for that matter what sort of response time/refresh rate I need.

I am only interested in 1080p (my eyes have built in antialiasing) and honestly not really in having a big monitor either, my old one was about 21.5in going by my tape measure and I don't need it to be much bigger, I'm using a 27in (but not HD) TV to post and that's probably a bit bigger than I need, feels too big almost from 40in away where I sit.

I generally go for 60FPS in games so I assume I don't need a higher refresh rate than that. Main things that would be nice to have are half decent blacks in the image, and decent colour saturation because I am colourblind and so I like bright colours because I can't see them very well.

I think this means I am looking for an IPS display, and there are ones with a 5ms response time (I can't play twitch shooters any more because I am old and crap) which I assume is enough to avoid obvious ghosting which would annoy me. Oh and my GPU only has a DVI outlet but I have a DVI/HDMI converter cable I am currently using to make this TV work, not sure if that is super relevant though.

I was looking at:

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/Dnbkcf/lg-24mp59g-p-238-1920x1080-75hz-monitor-24mp59g-p - I can get this from currys easily enough.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07W9LRB2J?tag=pcp0f-21&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1 - Looks fairly OK? Bigger than my old one, Never heard of the manufacturer though. Also a TN screen so not sure if it will look like poo poo.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08C32QR9M/ref=emc_b_5_t - Same manufacturer and price range but apparently an IPS display.

If anybody has any thoughts or suggestions I would welcome them as I have gently caress all monitor knowledge.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Sep 4, 2021

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

TN panels are an older panel technology. They have terrible contrast ratios and viewing angles, decent color reproduction, and good response times (motion blur reduction).
IPS panels have mediocre contrast ratios (so, better than TN), but great color reproduction, good viewing angles, and nowadays are pretty fast as well.
VA panels have mediocre viewing angles (again, better than TN) and lovely response times (except for Samsung's high-end VA panels), but good color reproduction and great contrast ratios.

There are no inexpensive panels that can do it all currently. For your needs and price limit, this is what I'd recommend: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/ZLwypg/lg-24gn600-b-240-1920x1080-144-hz-monitor-24gn600-b

It's a good quality monitor for the price, and it comes with adaptive sync technology. You may not need a super high refresh rate, but you should at least treat yourself to an adaptive sync monitor. Monitors nowadays can essentially match their refresh rate to the frame rate of your games, which makes them feel much more smooth even when there are framerate dips because there are no "dropped frames," it just waits a few extra ms for the next frame instead. This is something you'll have to enable in your GPU drivers after hooking up the monitor.

edit: I know I called IPS contrast ratios "mediocre," but I guarantee you that any IPS will be much better than what you had before.
edit 2: removed a review that wasn't as relevant as I thought

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Sep 4, 2021

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That does sound nice because screen tearing is something that I see a lot and which really does annoy me, I am used to using vsync in everything but it sometimes falters if the framerate is not consistent, if there are better options now that would be a nice feature.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

TN panels are an older panel technology. They have terrible contrast ratios and viewing angles, decent color reproduction, and good response times (motion blur reduction).
IPS panels have mediocre contrast ratios (so, better than TN), but great color reproduction, good viewing angles, and nowadays are pretty fast as well.
VA panels have mediocre viewing angles (again, better than TN) and lovely response times (except for Samsung's high-end VA panels), but good color reproduction and great contrast ratios.
TN isn't as bad as you make it out to be. My previous gaming monitor was a TN (Asus PG258Q) and it was fine. I have a i1DisplayPro that allows me to make objective measurements of contrast, so basically its 966:1 as actually measured is not "terrible" when the IPS I replaced it with is only 1012:1 (Dell AW2721D, one of the newest IPS panels on the market). And this IPS only does 1012:1 in its default large portion of the DCI-P3 color space mode that explodes the saturation to absurd levels, if you actually dial it back to near sRGB it is actually worse than the TN it replaced!

Now a TN from like 10 years ago...that was indeed comparatively terrible at 760:1.

Indiana_Krom fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Sep 4, 2021

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

That does sound nice because screen tearing is something that I see a lot and which really does annoy me, I am used to using vsync in everything but it sometimes falters if the framerate is not consistent, if there are better options now that would be a nice feature.

With your card I don’t think you can take advantage of adaptive sync.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Rinkles posted:

With your card I don’t think you can take advantage of adaptive sync.

I have a GTX 1060 which I know is not exactly new but it appears to list compatibility online?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

I have a GTX 1060 which I know is not exactly new but it appears to list compatibility online?

Sorry, I misread your post. You’re correct.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

OK I will place an order on that recommended one then, as it looks better than anything else I was looking at even by the specs I do understand. Much appreciated thread.

Death On Toast
Aug 2, 2006
The better half of the Brothers Douche.

If cutting the extra 40-50 quid is a big benefit, the LG 24MP59G-P you linked is probably the best budget option. It does list Freesync support, which can potentially work with Gsync, but not guaranteed.

That said, if you can afford a bit more, I would recommend jumping up to a 144hz option. The one Dr. Video Games 0031 linked looks solid, and I personally own the 27" variant of this one from MSI and it works quite well for my GTX 1070 MaxQ equipped laptop.

Also: I'm surprised they make a GTX 1060 without HDMI? You should have a DisplayPort connector on there, which would be the way to go with a new monitor.

Also Also: I bring it up because it's kinda a pet peeve, but any advertised "1ms response time" can safely be ignored as marketing cruft on any display that isn't a (rather expensive) OLED, and any review/preview that cites this is probably just uncritically parroting marketing bullet points provided by the manufacturer. So filtering PCPartpicker by response times is generally not a good idea. My understanding of the underlying reason for this is a lack of industry standard test methodology or certification processes allows manufacturers to create unrealistic test scenarios/cherry pick data to get the result they want and make the monitor look good, rather than reporting averages or aggregates that reflect real world performance.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Monitor manufacturers put in utterly worthless overdrive modes that overshoot to hell and back just so they can legally claim that they have a 1ms response time (but only grey to grey, which isn't a standard because it's a good metric to use, but because it's the easiest to get 1ms with)

That's really the basis of all those 1ms g2g claims. Gotta love PC hardware marketing.

Also yes, I'm not sure I've ever seen a 1060 that only had DVI. Surely it must have DisplayPort. Check if there are any black nubs sticking out near the card's display connectors. Those are port covers that you can pull off if so. (I'm suggesting this because one time I left a couple on a previous card of mine for the entire duration I had it, not realizing that it had an HDMI port all along)

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Sep 4, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Ah poo poo you're right, there are some tiny little slots that are covering HDMI outlets, but they're right up against the edge of the case slot that the card is sitting in and aren't labeled. I'm used to connectors that stick out from the case so I thought they were something else. I did give one a tug but it seemed really well seated so I didn't want to keep pulling at what I thought was just a part of the back of the card, but yeah I tried again and it's a HDMI port. I did think it was weird that it only seemed to have the one port.

Bollocks, I didn't need the converter cable after all.

The specifics on response times I'm admittedly not too fussed by, as I said I'm not going to be doing anything that requires extremely fast times, just so long as there isn't a noticeable lag or ghosting I'm happy.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Sep 4, 2021