Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Interloper
Jan 11, 2010

- dig that bunky feat -
Salad Prong

ladd posted:

Well, I hope you you UK goons, had some luck today from Scan.co.uk. had a 3060ti in my basket, but obviously My password did not work, and by the time I managed to log into my account, the Card was no longer in my basket. emailed scan with a screenshot, but I am doubtful I will have any luck.

Here's hoping they're nice enough to let you have mine! I got one, but hadn't noticed the small print saying "strictly one 30 series card per customer/household" until after already ordering. Sure is fun having literally only seconds to make purchasing decisions! I'd really prefer the 3070 and don't want to risk being locked out of it for the future, so I felt like I had no choice but to cancel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yeep
Nov 8, 2004

ladd posted:

Well, I hope you you UK goons, had some luck today from Scan.co.uk. had a 3060ti in my basket, but obviously My password did not work, and by the time I managed to log into my account, the Card was no longer in my basket. emailed scan with a screenshot, but I am doubtful I will have any luck.

The 3080ti is still in stock. I'm really after a 3080 or 6800 but if I hadn't just had to replace my CPU I'd have been all over a ti. Finding an 800w+ SFX PSU would cost me dearly too.

ladd
Aug 14, 2004

The Interloper posted:

Here's hoping they're nice enough to let you have mine! I got one, but hadn't noticed the small print saying "strictly one 30 series card per customer/household" until after already ordering. Sure is fun having literally only seconds to make purchasing decisions! I'd really prefer the 3070 and don't want to risk being locked out of it for the future, so I felt like I had no choice but to cancel.

That clause could refer to to one card per order, buy you are right, it's not very clear, and not worth the risk in being locked out of the opportunity on getting the card you want. Not sure if there is a pattern to Scan.co.uk deliveries, but individual cards seem to get restocked monthly (and often on a Friday), so there may be a chance to get a 3070 sometime in the upcoming week (last drop was on the 5th August). Good luck!

Edit: looked it up, and it is one card per household, but you can get around this limitation by creating a new account (and getting it delivered to a neighbour/friend).

ladd fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Sep 3, 2021

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Friar Zucchini posted:

I mean maybe COVID vaccines do things do your mind, man :tinfoil: cause I'd kinda toyed with the idea of unfucking this computer for a while but I literally got my first Pfizer dose earlier today and oh wait NOW I suddenly think I have to... *ahem*

...I'm done now. anyway,

I'm inclined to give a real side-eye to buying used or whatever, especially considering this machine is basically mystery meat anyway... if I was to stick with new or refurb, I'm seeing better prices on NewEgg than Amazon (or is there another better site I don't know of?) so from there what's the best I can get for $400 with the hosed up state of affairs now, just to keep it in the same price range as the GTX1650 I was looking at? Or if I stretch it to $500, what then? Or is it really that much better to just get a used one?

Yeah, I’d try the used market or a different motherboard. A 2400G should work in a B450, which should still be attainable without the song and dance (and cash outlay) required for a GPU.

But yeah, no video ports on that motherboard that I can see. Not too familiar with the X370 chipset, but it might just be the way they were equipped then.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
secondhand is fine for GPUs if you can shop smart and ideally know your buyer. you don't know happen to anyone who has upgraded recently that could give you both an honest history and a decent rate? GPUs themselves routinely last a decade+ so long as you're willing to replace the paste and maybe a fan or two.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
or, alternately if anyone knows of a better deal than a 1650 at 549 loving dollars please let us know lmao

stump collector
May 28, 2007
I have a 970 or 1070 I could get rid of. I need to sell them to upgrade my cooling and power supply in my current build. I’d like to hang on to one in case either of my other PCs fucks up

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

ladd posted:

Too late for today but for next time, you can checkout as a guest and if you use the same email address as your account the purchase will just get added to your account automatically.

NeverRelax
Jul 16, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
did LHR do anything, how come mostly everything good is still out of stock?
Surely they should have been able to meet demand on lower tier GPUs like the 3060 now that the mining pressure is off.
MSRPs are still going up and people seem willing to pay them. Are they trickling out the supply to keep prices high or is this just the perfect storm of terrible events all conspiring to keep 3080 off shelves?

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

NeverRelax posted:

Surely they should have been able to meet demand on lower tier GPUs like the 3060 now that the mining pressure is off.
MSRPs are still going up and people seem willing to pay them. Are they trickling out the supply to keep prices high or is this just the perfect storm of terrible events all conspiring to keep 3080 off shelves?

Crypto prices recovered somewhat, and people figured out a way to partially bypass the LHR limitations.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

How long can GPUs remain unaffordable before it starts driving people out of PC gaming

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Lord Stimperor posted:

How long can GPUs remain unaffordable before it starts driving people out of PC gaming

According to Youtubers they say their view count is already dropping.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

punk rebel ecks posted:

lol

stump collector
May 28, 2007
Good

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
wouldnt more people want to watch

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

NeverRelax posted:

Mining demand has subsided somewhat but not enough, and demand from gamers is still higher than it's ever been. The number of discrete graphics card shipments has been holding steady at average levels for the GPU industry, which is not great considering the sky-high demand but it could be worse. GPU companies are unable to increase their quarterly total shipment figures due to everything happening right now, from production bottlenecks (fabrication plants already running at max capacity due to increased demand across the board, GDDR shortages, substrate shortages, etc), to global shipping bottlenecks causing logistical nightmares for these companies that use components sourced from many countries across the globe. Prices are staying elevated or increasing due to the shortages, tariffs, shipping costs going up, and more covid-related fuckery.

Nvidia estimates that their component supply won't improve until the middle of 2022 at the earliest. Meanwhile, most chip foundries have recently increased their prices by as much as 20% recently. These are the guys NVidia and AMD contract to make their chips for them (they don't make the chips themselves). The delta variant is making things tricky for everyone, and crypto is back on the rise after a brief crash. The silver linings in this are 1) Intel's getting in on the graphics card market early next year, and 2) Ethereum is abandoning GPU mining in December supposedly (this time it looks fairly likely). There are quite a few other cryptocurrencies that rely on GPU mining, but Ethereum is by far the biggest, so them moving away from it should help. So the combination of decreased demand from miners and potentially increased supply from Intel entering the game should help the market settle down. The prices that they settle on will be quite a bit higher than we're used to though, and we'll probably never see "normal" graphics card prices ever again.

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

i've been on hard lockdown for the past 3 weeks and haven't touched my pc once. there's nothing to play

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
nothing? in a 30 year catalog of all sorts of things?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
wonder if bad rats has raytracing

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

Shipon posted:

nothing? in a 30 year catalog of all sorts of things?

nothing!

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
psychonauts 2 came out like this week

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

get the $1 pc gamepass trial and try out the ascent

there are some issues with it but it looks nice and is generally fun

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

punk rebel ecks posted:

I watched some videos recently while figuring out my latest build, and they were all loving downers. Every host acted like they were either making the video at gunpoint or had just finished watching Requiem for a Dream seconds before the video.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

punk rebel ecks posted:

i keep wondering if this is just a consequence of ridiculous pandemic demand finally normalizing. like, most people probably genuinely were tuned in for as long as it took to buy a new PC and either can or can't, and in either case why keep up? and are people watching as much youtube as they did a year ago?

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Professor Wayne posted:

I watched some videos recently while figuring out my latest build, and they were all loving downers. Every host acted like they were either making the video at gunpoint or had just finished watching Requiem for a Dream seconds before the video.

At least Tech Jesus is finding some ways to make interesting content in this market, the PSU stuff was good

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

CoolCab posted:

i keep wondering if this is just a consequence of ridiculous pandemic demand finally normalizing. like, most people probably genuinely were tuned in for as long as it took to buy a new PC and either can or can't, and in either case why keep up? and are people watching as much youtube as they did a year ago?

I think a lot of it might have to do with people who were staying at home going back to work. Much less time to watch youtube when you actually have a day job again to attend (or can't work from home anymore).

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

it'd be trivial to just compare views of videos pre covid, during covid, and currently to see

but i don't care enough

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I think a lot of it might have to do with people who were staying at home going back to work. Much less time to watch youtube when you actually have a day job again to attend (or can't work from home anymore).

yeah, exactly. and the middle classes are once again paying for gasoline, lunch, shoes, etc. conditions have shifted quite a bit while prices absolutely have not, i wonder how this will impact demand.

shrike82 posted:

it'd be trivial to just compare views of videos pre covid, during covid, and currently to see

but i don't care enough

dunno if that would detect the granularity. like, i bet a ton of these tech channels have had their biggest ever year and a half, if they didn't manifest entirely from whole cloth during. if you're a jayz2cents or even worse a smaller youtuber, Dawid Does Tech or whatever did you assume that this was the new normal?

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

how much money have they been making anyway

boohoo if they made a couple million over covid and have to make do with less now

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

shrike82 posted:

boohoo if they made a couple million over covid and have to make do with less now

hand over loving fist, yeah. but that as typically with expansion lead to hires and moves to new premises and other escalating costs. if their sponcon contracts are tied to increasing views they could also be in trouble.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I don't think anyone discussing the dropping view counts has actually indicated that they're in financial trouble or anything. Just a "yeah, this is happening, and we think it's because of dropping interest in PC hardware" (which is a pretty big assumption imo but it could be related)

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

aers posted:

Looks like $1999.

Thanks friend, it might be a reasonable price then :thunk:

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Youtubers who specialize in PC builds and PC gaming. Less people are watching their channels because less people are doing PC builds which in theory should mean less people venturing to PC gaming.

I couldn't care less about the health of these channels, but I do of PC gaming.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

A lot of those channels made a living by comparing various brands and models of cards, and there is def no interest in that when nobody gets a choice in what brand they buy. I personally don’t think it’s an indication of waning PC gaming interest as a whole, as there are more people PC gaming today than ever before.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
If the decline is relative to 2019, it means something. Of course there's going to be a decline relative to the highs of the past 20 months when everyone wanted to spend money on things to do at home.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

GamersNexus has said that they've stopped covering the various AIBs altogether because nobody cares about who has the best card right now, yeah.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

K8.0 posted:

If the decline is relative to 2019, it means something. Of course there's going to be a decline relative to the highs of the past 20 months when everyone wanted to spend money on things to do at home.

well that's what i'm saying how much of the audience was here because it was near upgrade time and they needed reviews and advice and stuck around. maybe stuck around longer because some components are impossible to source. maybe the net effect was that the pandemic brought forward a bunch of upgrades that naturally would have happened over the next few years and as such there's going to be a falloff when people realize they don't really care that much about PC components if they have no intention of upgrading for another 3-5 years.

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.

shrike82 posted:

There was a NY Times article a week or two ago that mentioned a Youtube channel with ~1,000,000 subs will pull in about $70k per year in YouTube ad revenue, which is not a lot, but channels that large or larger are probably also getting revenue from other sponsorship opportunities.

mA fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Sep 4, 2021

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

mA posted:

There was a NY Times article a week or two ago that mentioned a Youtube channel with ~1,000,000 subs will pull in about $70k per year in YouTube ad revenue, which is not a lot, but channels that large or larger are probably also getting revenue from other sponsorship opportunities.

Yeah. Like most things it's only the top of the top who get the big money. Not everyone is Logan Paul or Pewdiepie. For most Youtubers this is their second job if not sidehustle. There is a reason why mid-size and below Youtubers constantly shove their patreon in your face whenever they can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Sphyre posted:

i've been on hard lockdown for the past 3 weeks and haven't touched my pc once. there's nothing to play

I diagnose you with depression