Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Movie good.

e:

Very good.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Sep 3, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

It's been a minute since I've seen such unanimous praise, especially for a spaceman movie. Robbie Collins is the critic I tend to agree with the most and his review was essentially :gizz:

I'm probably gonna cry when I eventually see this on a real big screen. Probably because I will be blazed as fuk

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

It's not getting unanimous praise unfortunately.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Groovelord Neato posted:

Ah well, just in my Twitter bubble then. Either way, I'm :stoked:

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Groovelord Neato posted:

Yeah, Variety and Hollywood Reporter both have "It's impressive, buuuuut..." reviews, boiling down to its running out of steam some time before the To Be Continued ending, most of the characters you become invested in being killed off (blame Herbert for that, though) and a feeling that what it's showing has been blunted by imitation in other films, specifically Star Wars.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2

Well, not with that attitude it won't

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Ehrlich's review is about as mean as could conceivably be but my gut feeling is it gets at some hard truths about the whole project. Guess we'll have to see

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

gently caress yeah soundtrack dropped

https://open.spotify.com/album/78uSUydG2FbcVDDFWGMQjT?si=_ROCsbBiR8CE4Wm8YxSeYw&dl_branch=1

https://music.apple.com/us/album/the-dune-sketchbook-music-from-the-soundtrack/1580377303

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

No Mods No Masters posted:

Ehrlich's review is about as mean as could conceivably be but my gut feeling is it gets at some hard truths about the whole project. Guess we'll have to see

Yeah, 'nobody does anything, but also nobody really spends any time agonising over political intrigue' is a bit of a warning bell.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

No Mods No Masters posted:

Take it for what it’s worth, he also was pretty damning of Blade Runner. My sense from the reviews is that it’s the most “Villeneuve” movie yet, and people tend to like all his films or none of them.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

hmm, guess ill see shang chi instead if this is so bad

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

unfortunately "the most 'Villeneuve' move yet" combined with covid is not a recipe for box office success and The Sequel That Was Promised

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Disney probably owns half (or more) of the rags reviewing the movie. Why listen to them at all? They're just gonna say "Well, it's nice but it's no SW"

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Yeah I was curious what David Ehrlich thought of his other movies. He said of Arrival that Villeneuve was better at picking existing music (Max Richter) for his films than he was commissioning scores. So I’m not too worried about his review. He doesn’t seem to care much for any of his movies

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Dune received a 6 minute standing ovation at the Venice Film Festival, falling short of the 8 minute ovation received by Joker.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Mantis42 posted:

Dune received a 6 minute standing ovation at the Venice Film Festival, falling short of the 8 minute ovation received by Joker.

oh poo poo

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
The standing ovation for Joker was actually a sign of euphoria that it was finally over

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Mantis42 posted:

Based on one prick's review?

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
The only reviews that I've seen so far have all been glowing. Granted, that's from the AV Club, Gizmodo, and The Guardian so maybe those are not fancy-pancy reviewers. Sounds to me like the movie is great, and I hope to be able to see it in theaters if it feels safe enough.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Jewmanji posted:

Yeah I was curious what David Ehrlich thought of his other movies. He said of Arrival that Villeneuve was better at picking existing music (Max Richter) for his films than he was commissioning scores. So I’m not too worried about his review. He doesn’t seem to care much for any of his movies

his letterboxd scores arrival, sicario and br2049 3/5 stars, yeah.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

exmarx posted:

his letterboxd scores arrival, sicario and br2049 3/5 stars, yeah.

3/5 is actually sort or generous when you actually read what he wrote. He called BR2049 “boring” and “turgid”.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 251 days!

Payndz posted:

Yeah, Variety and Hollywood Reporter both have "It's impressive, buuuuut..." reviews, boiling down to its running out of steam some time before the To Be Continued ending, most of the characters you become invested in being killed off (blame Herbert for that, though) and a feeling that what it's showing has been blunted by imitation in other films, specifically Star Wars.

I mean, it wouldn't really be true to the original if you didn't miss Duke Leto and crew after Paul loses them, at least on your first viewing of the story.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

https://twitter.com/Complex/status/1433844548422275074?s=20

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Mantis42 posted:

They’re getting released over a month apart. You can only pick one?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Here are the two things you need to know about Shang Chi:

1. Shang Chi is a man who does not know who he is. It turns out he is a man with ten rings.
2. The Marvel films are going to find it increasingly difficult to explain why their plots need to happen while they have a bunch of wizards running around who can make portals that let you instantly go anywhere.

e: seriously though, it was... fine.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

Alchenar posted:

2. The Marvel films are going to find it increasingly difficult to explain why their plots need to happen while they have a bunch of wizards running around who can make portals that let you instantly go anywhere.

They'll handwave it away with something about the multiverse preventing travel

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

It was a joke, I would never pay money to see capeshit.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Mantis42 posted:

It was a joke, I would never pay money to see capeshit.

Cool bro cool

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

I mean,

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
I get it, most of that superhero poo poo is cringe or corny as hell, and the fanboys for that stuff are disgusting freaks. But its just like getting mad about Barney

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Yeah superheroes are so cringe! My boy Paul Atreides who has magic psychic kung fu powers on the other hand...

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Yeah but you see Paul is brooding and conflicted about it... uh oh!

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Paul literally is a superhero, yes. But the mortal kind. The kind where it's all just an act and you shouldn't have believed him in the first place because surprise! He's Hitler and you voted for him.

Not like Iron Man who drinks some and his girlfriend is kind of annoyed but you go save the world again, honey.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Excuse me, Iron Man is also Hitler

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Martman posted:

Yeah superheroes are so cringe! My boy Paul Atreides who has magic psychic kung fu powers on the other hand...

Exactly, he's a wuxia character.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Martman posted:

I tell people this and they want me to spend the rest of my afternoon explaining the world.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Sep 5, 2021

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2

Martman posted:

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

I don't know how much the movie foreshadows where all this ends up, but lol at seeing the Dune novel as a white savior story when the whole point is that the consequences of people buying into all the (implicitly white, European) messiah poo poo is intergalactic genocide.

poo poo, Herbert hammers home the point that Paul being "one of the good ones" has almost no bearing on how it all plays out except at the margins, the "good guy" white savior imperialist protagonist kills billions anyway. Like we literally read Paul's thoughts where just just says it to the reader.

Paul doesn't save the Fremen, he turns them into shell-shocked drug addicts from his forever wars and destroys their culture at home, all because his dad was on the wrong end of a dynastic beef among the space aristocracy.

Herbert wasn't subtle, he just literally has all the poo poo I said happen in the first 2 books or something. Herbert was 1 step away from

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yk7M2jGdnxU

sean10mm fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Sep 5, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 251 days!

sean10mm posted:

I don't know how much the movie foreshadows where all this ends up, but lol at seeing the Dune novel as a white savior story when the whole point is that the consequences of people buying into all the (implicitly white, European) messiah poo poo is intergalactic genocide.

poo poo, Herbert hammers home the point that Paul being "one of the good ones" has almost no bearing on how it all plays out except at the margins, the "good guy" white savior imperialist protagonist kills billions anyway. Like we literally read Paul's thoughts where just just says it to the reader.

Paul doesn't save the Fremen, he turns them into shell-shocked drug addicts from his forever wars and destroys their culture at home, all because his dad was on the wrong end of a dynastic beef among the space aristocracy.

Herbert wasn't subtle, he just literally has all the poo poo I said happen in the first 2 books or something. Herbert was 1 step away from

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yk7M2jGdnxU

The second book has that character who takes Paul's messianic bs seriously despite having known him back in the 'hood (er, stiech?), and Paul and Alia just laugh at him knowing full well he's going to betray Paul.