Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Sonny Boy is a 2021 original TV anime written and directed by Shingo Natsume (Space Dandy, ACCA-13, Boogiepop 2019) at Madhouse. The staff has strong crossover with his past projects, notably ACCA-13, so aside from the unpredictable nature of having an original story, you could reasonably expect something of the style and production of those series. The most common synopsis going around for this bugs me so instead, an older blurb from pr materials:

Synopsis posted:

The science-fiction ensemble drama centers around 36 boys and girls. On August 16, midway through a seemingly endless summer vacation, middle school third-year student Nagara, the mysterious transfer student Nozomi, and classmates such as Mizuho and Asakaze, are suddenly transported from their tranquil daily lives to a school adrift in an alternate dimension. They must survive with the superpowers that have awakened within them.

Funimation is streaming the series, with new episodes Thursdays at 11:30AM...Central? The website isn't very clear on this and I'm also unsure where to find a full list of territories. :sweatdrop: Wakanim and AnimeLab have the series in other territories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

initial impressions...

it took the second episode to sell me on the show, which is mostly just to say don't judge solely off the first. the other originals this season are all playing in pretty well-explored spaces, so this is a real breath of fresh air among them and all the adaptations.

there are definitely some cartoon characters in the cast currently, but i do feel like episode 2 showed some more restrained character writing chops that i really appreciated. in addition, establishing a likely recurring plot of the kids navigating through the mysterious rules of different alien dimensions they encounter will be interesting, especially as it complicates the stability of their group dynamic. and of course visually, escaping the stark black void of the premiere allowed for some absolutely striking work with colors that really complimented the unreal nature of their situation while also creating a perfect summer beach feel. superpowers like Raj's add to this, with a goofy paper cut-out style for the objects he creates.

oh and there's some other stuff they were highlighting in promotion of the show, which i could've included in the OP but was unsure how much weight i'd really put on them. Shinichiro Watanabe was advertised as a music advisor on the series, a common role for him but he's not exactly pulling in the same collaborators as his prior work on Bebop etc so the series will have its own (fitting) musical vibe. the original character designs were also done by Hisashi Eguchi (Stop!! Hibari-kun!), which is a notable get, though i always feel a bit strange when animation necessarily sands away elements of original designs and they become a bit detached from the artist. the fun trivia with Eguchi's involvement on the project is that his last anime character design gig was Mujin Wakusei Survive, which also has a sci-fi survival premise, though it's more like a Swiss Family Robinson take on the idea.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
It's not a busy season so I checked out the first couple of episodes. It's an interesting premise, but I'm not really sold on it building up to anything meaningful. Will stick with it for now though.

Also got a chuckle out of the solution to the problem in episode 2 being Cryptocurrency

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

not really sure where this is gonna go with its whole premise of like, social norms manifesting as physical laws, but I really dig the first 2 episodes. love this sort of obtuse high-concept series and we get them really infrequently these days, gives me the same feeling as watching stuff like e.g. Kyousougiga or Kaiba though thats obviously setting a high bar for this to clear.

also great minimalistic use of music so far, when you drop it so sparingly like this it gives those moments a lot of impact.

Tales of Woe fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Jul 29, 2021

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I'm glad people pointed out the music thing so I actually noticed it in episode 3.

This is probably my favorite show of the season.

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking
i love the aesthetics of this show. i wonder what other weird rear end worlds exist if we're already going to the black lodge 3 episodes in.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

episode 3 was impressive too, this show is very good

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

we figured out the climax of the show you heard it from here first

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking
nice try, but there would definitely be a lot more of guy whose finger can light up in the climax of the show

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N
Well that was an episode

I have no idea how long it's supposed to have been since they came to the island, seems like anywhere from 20 days to 20 years would make just as much sense.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
I love this show because I have absolutely no idea what's going to happen. A verbal retelling of the greatest moments in monkey baseball history? Sure, why not.

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

Sindai posted:

I love this show because I have absolutely no idea what's going to happen. A verbal retelling of the greatest moments in monkey baseball history? Sure, why not.

100% same. outside of the overtly weird episode premise, i think i was more surprised by how endearing the jock guy was this episode. i didn't expect the story to show him much sympathy after his role in the first episode, and i certainly didn't expect his redemption to come through passionate stories about monkey baseball.

in conclusion, this is how i feel when i watch sonny boy:

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

This show is great. I wasn't too sure about it at first, but episode 4 hit it out of the park (heh). Mizuho joining the core cast also helps, some of the best moments this episode came from her.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

baseball episode didn't have as cathartic a payoff as the previous ones but still a good baseball episode

marumaru
May 20, 2013

it was a good episode but i kinda wish it wasn't mostly about baseball because i have 0 knowledge or interest in baseball
the fact that i managed to watch the whole episode despite that is testament to how good this show is

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

This team's steadfastness in using animation and the timing of cuts and dialogue and sound to convey all the weirdness is a lot of what makes it so compelling, watching is this distinctly sensual experience. Like, the way the bg blips to a different setting or state while you're focused on a character's face in the foreground or extreme closeup, and the bg noise that fills the space in a beat later, brrr. Such a striking effect.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

marumaru posted:

it was a good episode but i kinda wish it wasn't mostly about baseball because i have 0 knowledge or interest in baseball
the fact that i managed to watch the whole episode despite that is testament to how good this show is

See, for me "The oral history of the Monkey baseball league" was a hook good enough to give the episode a go despite not having been huge on the first one, but it feels like it didn't stick the landing. The exposition was just over a flat background, when it could have been done in all kinds of interesting ways, no-one has strong desires to drive the plot forward but the situation doesn't go forward either...

Sonny Boy is a show that feels like it should be my kind of thing, but it just... isn't.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

chiasaur11 posted:

See, for me "The oral history of the Monkey baseball league" was a hook good enough to give the episode a go despite not having been huge on the first one, but it feels like it didn't stick the landing. The exposition was just over a flat background, when it could have been done in all kinds of interesting ways, no-one has strong desires to drive the plot forward but the situation doesn't go forward either...

Sonny Boy is a show that feels like it should be my kind of thing, but it just... isn't.

I thought a lot of this was a deliberate attempt to suggest lost time. The endless summer vacation that never ends.

You skipped the two episodes that were more plot based, if that's what you're looking out for

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

God, almost everyone in this show is such a dick.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
The monkey baseball episode was awesome. I had no idea what 90% of the baseball lingo meant but understood it enough from context. I just loved it as a kind of self contained tangential story.

And yeah people are real ducking assholes in this show

Wollawolla
Jan 15, 2007

Are you gonna smash my skull and breathe my blood-mist?
Today's episode felt like a season/series finale. I'm really excited to see where they're going with this.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Yeah that was absolutely wild. :psyduck:

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

we're gonna have to kill god now as is customary

marumaru
May 20, 2013

yep this episode was pretty good, worthwhile payoff.

fairlight
May 18, 2007

I'm still completely unable to predict where the show is going

It's still the most interesting and creative show I've seen in years

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

i like the parable-of-the-week structure. some of them have been a little heavy-handed on the writing side, like this week's one, but the visual execution still sells it every time

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking
this episode felt like a reasonable conclusion to nagara's narrative arc, or at least a good stopping point so we can focus on nozomi's existential dread for a bit. also: i love the unexpected fantastic elements of the show, but i think it's really done a good job the last few episodes with the softer character moments (trolling mizuho with the projector, raj's gift to nagara, etc). man sonny boy is so good

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i appreciate Koumori having taped pants as a very apparent practical decision made somewhere along the line from having upside-down powers for millennia, even if the umbrella is still some chuuni bs. in that regard, sock head will have some shoes to fill in the coming episodes.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

got some casshern sins vibes from today's ep. really good looking one.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
An episode behind, but this is a really excellent show.

Haven't watched any new anime since Bebop a while back. Anything between those two shows as good (not similar, don't care about the genre, just as good quality wise)?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Open Source Idiom posted:

Haven't watched any new anime since Bebop a while back. Anything between those two shows as good (not similar, don't care about the genre, just as good quality wise)?

Well, there was Odd Taxi just last season. Tatami Galaxy is a classic. Mob Psycho 100 is a first rate adaptation...

Look, it's been decades, there's a fuckton of great anime you missed. We're talking a gap that skipped over FLCL, for pete's sake! (Watch FLCL. The original, I mean. I'm one of the only people who'll speak up for Prog, and even I admit it's an acquired taste, while Alt is hot garbage.) I'd want more detail as to what you're looking for to manage more specific recommendations.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
i had a hard time piecing together the actual story this episode but it was gorgeous at least

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular

Space Dandy is by the same team behind Cowboy Bebop (Watanabe+Natsume), one of whom (Natsume) is behind this show, so that seems like a natural recommendation. It's very good and if dubs are your thing it's on par with Bebop.

Someone mentioned Kyousougiga earlier, and I second that. Has that similar oblique, roundabout approach to storytelling in a surreal-ish environment where the mysteries reveal themselves over tims.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

chiasaur11 posted:

Well, there was Odd Taxi just last season. Tatami Galaxy is a classic. Mob Psycho 100 is a first rate adaptation...

Look, it's been decades, there's a fuckton of great anime you missed. We're talking a gap that skipped over FLCL, for pete's sake! (Watch FLCL. The original, I mean. I'm one of the only people who'll speak up for Prog, and even I admit it's an acquired taste, while Alt is hot garbage.) I'd want more detail as to what you're looking for to manage more specific recommendations.

Whoops. I meant Boogiepop LOL, the one from like two or three years ago. I'll check out Odd Taxi though.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Whoops. I meant Boogiepop LOL, the one from like two or three years ago. I'll check out Odd Taxi though.

Oh, yeah, that's a bit different. For stuff that hasn't been mentioned...

I'm guessing you didn't see Vinland Saga, the story of a viking seeking vengeance for his father. Goes places. I feel like the manga has declined a bit in the last act, but the opening season is rock solid. If you liked Gridman, Dynazenon is the sequel, sorta, so that's a nice time. Keep your hands off Eizouken is a Yuasa anime about making anime, so that's gorgeous. And if you want basic shonen, Jujutsu Kaisen and Demon Slayer got huge on solid execution of the classic beats.

That a start?

chiasaur11 fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Nov 13, 2021

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

For some gnarly, brutal and sometimes violently poetic samurai stuff, check out Shigurui and Blade of Immortal

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

These cats are very good and I love them all.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

adrift gothic

Wollawolla
Jan 15, 2007

Are you gonna smash my skull and breathe my blood-mist?
This show is so good. It's a bit disappointing that there's only 1 episode left. Part of me wishes that they played around more with a sort of episodic "This World"-of-the-week sort of style for a bit longer, kind of like the creative showcase that Space Dandy had going on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
What was the brown lump they left Rajdhani?