Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cerebulon
Mar 29, 2010

Destroyer of Worlds*
(*No worlds were harmed in the making of this title.)

Where was it that the Truck Nazi vs Train Nazi joke about Decisive Campaigns: Barbarossa came from? I could have sworn it was a Let's Play on here but I may have been completely imagining it and I can't find anything of the sort in searches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

everydayfalls
Aug 23, 2016

Cerebulon posted:

Where was it that the Truck Nazi vs Train Nazi joke about Decisive Campaigns: Barbarossa came from? I could have sworn it was a Let's Play on here but I may have been completely imagining it and I can't find anything of the sort in searches.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3793900

Probably that let’s play

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

The Geoff posted:

I've just released the sequel to Pacific Fire, Blitzkrieg Fire, on both Android and iOS. It covers WWII in Europe and North Africa - similar to Pacific Fire, it has a mix of smaller scenarios covering specific operations and larger ones spanning the entire war. It introduces some new game mechanics such as encirclements, airborne operations, and strategic bombing - as well as the most requested feature of all screen rotation

As someone who really enjoyed the first game, :hellyeah:

sum
Nov 15, 2010

Dramicus posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1674170/Sprocket/

Welcome to Sprocket, here's my late-war German-ish tank? I made it.

It just released in early access and is super early but the main feature, namely the ridiculously amazing tank designer is almost fully fleshed out.

Its surprisingly intuitive, you can move the sliders around to get exactly the angle and thickness you want, or you can click and drag on the tank itself to move parts/angles/lengths/etc around as you see fit.

My triangle is probably invincible from the front, but it's slow and useless, maybe because the driver has no space to work in.

This is my take on a slightly less boxy Tiger. It can take on King Tigers from the front, but it's again very slow and unwieldy. I need to figure out how suspension and tracks are supposed to work because I'm bad at them.

tldr: You design a tank within some limitations, then take it into a battle and hopefully you win.

This game is well enough made, I can't shake the feeling that it'd only truly be great for someone who knows absolutely nothing about tank design though. All of my tanks so far are basically just eraser-shaped monsters with the biggest gun I could manage to fit on top. Maybe if there were more engineering limits (like UA: Dreadnoughts??) there'd be more substance to it.

e: Or maybe I was just taking the game too seriously...

sum fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Sep 4, 2021

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

sum posted:

This game is well enough made, I can't shake the feeling that it'd only truly be great for someone who knows absolutely nothing about tank design though. All of my tanks so far are basically just eraser-shaped monsters with the biggest gun I could manage to fit on top. Maybe if there were more engineering limits (like UA: Dreadnoughts??) there'd be more substance to it.

I agree, if you go into it with a super tryhard mentality, then most of your tanks are going to end up resembling something like a T-54 because it's more or less the optimal shape.

sum posted:

Now that is an excellent tank.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
A few months ago, I asked this thread for advice on a good overview book of the ACW. Several people recommended "Battle Cry of Freedom" which I just finished. Thank you for the recommendation, it was a perfect book for the historian who knows general contexts, but wants a deeper dive into the machinations of the ACW.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

how do you cope with the fauna in shadow empire... theres a lot of them on this planet...

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

sum posted:

Make that turret turn into an emergency jet fighter and you got Zeon’s Magella Attack tank from Mobile Suit Gundam.

everydayfalls
Aug 23, 2016

Stairmaster posted:

how do you cope with the fauna in shadow empire... theres a lot of them on this planet...

Tanks usually do the trick.

Also the AI is fairly risk averse so you can hold the line with regular infantry. Even militia can defend from them pretty well.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

this is awesome

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

I've spent like total 10h making "we have s-tank at home" versions of s-tanks and it was wonderful. This game has some high-powered potential.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

pedro0930 posted:

Looks like Armoured Commander 2 has reached 1.0 status.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1292020/Armoured_Commander_II/
The last time I played was over a year ago. Can anyone summarized what's new? I see radio system is added in 1.0, and I imagine there's a lot more campaign and their associated vehicles now.

It’s really fun, I’ve been playing it all weekend

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

sum posted:

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
That game in Mario Party always sucks.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

The turrets halfway up the pagoda are delightful.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Don't doxx me or my admirals' late-night napkin designs.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Looks like UBOAT got a big update a few days ago. Has anyone checked it out? I haven't played it since mid-2020 and my impression at the time was that it was pretty buggy/janky and that the crew management stuff was more fiddly than fun. I really want this game to be good but it has not clicked for me so far.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Bold Robot posted:

Looks like UBOAT got a big update a few days ago. Has anyone checked it out? I haven't played it since mid-2020 and my impression at the time was that it was pretty buggy/janky and that the crew management stuff was more fiddly than fun. I really want this game to be good but it has not clicked for me so far.

Take this as you will because I've always been a fan of UBOAT but I started a new campaign after the update and I think it's really come a long way. The presentation has been polished up, they added a number of options when you start a new game so you can tailor how much crew micromanagement you want, the difficulty, realistic targeting or allowing your crew to do it for you etc. They've fixed up the fast travel system so it's less finicky, you can see ships smoke plumes from much further away and the visuals of ships burning up has been improved, the game really looks great. They've added new ships and the campaign map shows the progression of the war (you can't effect it though from what I can tell).

There are now more "realistic" missions instead of just "sink X tonnage in this area", they say they modeled these story missions off of real life events. Ships will fly neutral flags and you can now board them to investigate and if you determine they are lying you can sink them, ships crews can speak multiple languages to aide in this. I'm not sure what the penalty is if you sink a truly neutral ship, I wasn't paying attention to the flags and I sunk a Swedish transport but the after action report said they checked the ships manifest and it was actually aiding the enemy so I didn't suffer any penalty.

Overall if you were on the fence I think now would be a good time to check it out (unless you want to wait for an official 1.0 release) or if you already own it it's worth trying again. The game feels like it's almost complete but I'm not sure how much more they have to do before an official release.

Edit: Forgot to mention they've made a lot of quality of life improvements in regards to crew/ship management. If you want to change the lighting or turn on a compressor/gyroscope/pump you can hold down tab and it's all in a clickable list that will auto assign someone to go do it. Much improved over having to manually select the light/gyroscope/pump on the ship.

Popete fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Sep 8, 2021

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Popete posted:

Take this as you will because I've always been a fan of UBOAT but I started a new campaign after the update and I think it's really come a long way. The presentation has been polished up, they added a number of options when you start a new game so you can tailor how much crew micromanagement you want, the difficulty, realistic targeting or allowing your crew to do it for you etc. They've fixed up the fast travel system so it's less finicky, you can see ships smoke plumes from much further away and the visuals of ships burning up has been improved, the game really looks great. They've added new ships and the campaign map shows the progression of the war (you can't effect it though from what I can tell).

There are now more "realistic" missions instead of just "sink X tonnage in this area", they say they modeled these story missions off of real life events. Ships will fly neutral flags and you can now board them to investigate and if you determine they are lying you can sink them, ships crews can speak multiple languages to aide in this. I'm not sure what the penalty is if you sink a truly neutral ship, I wasn't paying attention to the flags and I sunk a Swedish transport but the after action report said they checked the ships manifest and it was actually aiding the enemy so I didn't suffer any penalty.

Overall if you were on the fence I think now would be a good time to check it out (unless you want to wait for an official 1.0 release) or if you already own it it's worth trying again. The game feels like it's almost complete but I'm not sure how much more they have to do before an official release.

Edit: Forgot to mention they've made a lot of quality of life improvements in regards to crew/ship management. If you want to change the lighting or turn on a compressor/gyroscope/pump you can hold down tab and it's all in a clickable list that will auto assign someone to go do it. Much improved over having to manually select the light/gyroscope/pump on the ship.

Thanks, this is exactly what I was looking for. Sounds like a good time to give it another shot. :thumbsup:

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

My one issue with UBOAT, and I hope it's been addressed since last December, is that crew will sometimes do noisy poo poo when you're trying to be sneaky and there was no "Run Silent" button. Being detected because of that was infuriating. Wasn't even a discipline issue, they just decided to reload the tubes.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

UBOAT has also just had a bunch of performance optimisations so it also feels a lot less janky framerate wise.

I think crew management needs to be less fiddly but otherwise it's really moving fast in the right direction and is fun now.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
War on the Sea looks neat but every time I have seen footage of it, it typically has whoever is playing extremely efficiently removing any enemy AI controlled ship with only the loss of a few fighters -- rarely losing vessels of their own. Now naturally this is partially due to a lot of micro-management and good play but can the AI actually meaningfully fight back? I appreciate strategy game AI is never good but it's no fun if it's a cakewalk.

Also whilst I see a lot of micro managing, do you have to do that for the game to be enjoyable?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Popete posted:

heck yeah gonna give this another shot based on your post

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Is NavalArt good?

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Last I checked its not really much more than blender with a slight bias to ships. If you aren't good at 3d modeling you aren't going to make much that's very satisfying.

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

This wish was granted by Former DILF
I watched Greyhound so now I want to play a good Uboat game. Should I get Wolfpack or Uboat? I'm tempted to get Uboat because they're looking at releasing a VR version as well.

Edit: well I missed the posts talking about this very thing

Ashmole fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Sep 13, 2021

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

Ashmole posted:

I watched Greyhound so now I want to play a good Uboat game. Should I get Wolfpack or Uboat? I'm tempted to get Uboat because they're looking at releasing a VR version as well.

Edit: well I missed the posts talking about this very thing

Wolfpack is more like a coop sim and the development has been excruciatingly slow. Like I think during the past 12 months of development they managed to remake "water" and....that's it. While taking 6 months to throw out a much more ambitious roadmap. It's much more realistic and will have you do everything hands on like figuring out ship model based on mast configuration and estimating speed and input data into torpedo fire control computer. It might be worth it if you can get a group to play together, though it still suffers from having little content.

pedro0930 fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Sep 13, 2021

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
I just noticed Grand Tactician The Civil War is about to released from early access (Sep 24th). Anyone been following/playing it and know how it's worked out? I've been waiting to see it because Ultimate General was great in concept but too shallow in implementation and I'm hoping Grand Tactician will be groggy enough without being too over the top.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Been playing some Uboat. It's really well done and they just dropped a big patch with lots of new gameplay stuff.

nipperi
Nov 1, 2011

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

My one issue with UBOAT, and I hope it's been addressed since last December, is that crew will sometimes do noisy poo poo when you're trying to be sneaky and there was no "Run Silent" button. Being detected because of that was infuriating. Wasn't even a discipline issue, they just decided to reload the tubes.

I think the blue lighting doubles as a ”Run Silent” button. I might be wrong, it’s been awhile since I played.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

pedro0930 posted:

Wolfpack is more like a coop sim and the development has been excruciatingly slow. Like I think during the past 12 months of development they managed to remake "water" and....that's it. While taking 6 months to throw out a much more ambitious roadmap. It's much more realistic and will have you do everything hands on like figuring out ship model based on mast configuration and estimating speed and input data into torpedo fire control computer. It might be worth it if you can get a group to play together, though it still suffers from having little content.

Conversely UBOAT is a good playable game right now, has had steady development progress made on it, and the only things really left are fleshing out the campaign and progression systems.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

nessin posted:

I just noticed Grand Tactician The Civil War is about to released from early access (Sep 24th). Anyone been following/playing it and know how it's worked out? I've been waiting to see it because Ultimate General was great in concept but too shallow in implementation and I'm hoping Grand Tactician will be groggy enough without being too over the top.

This dude has been playing it recently:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BG8-U-5r-Ow

It looks sort of ok but hard to tell really. I find it hard to deal with that old-timey UI design where the icons and fonts try to look "historical". It's like please just give me something clear instead.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

fuf posted:

This dude has been playing it recently:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BG8-U-5r-Ow

It looks sort of ok but hard to tell really. I find it hard to deal with that old-timey UI design where the icons and fonts try to look "historical". It's like please just give me something clear instead.

It looks suspiciously like the first couple of hours would be fun and interesting, and then you realise that you've seen all the game has to offer and the next 30-40 hours of campaign are just those first two hours repeated over and over and over again.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Last time I played U-boat I felt is was totally non engaging, all you were doing as commander was waiting for number to go up as your crew IDed targets, worked out course and speed,ect. And all you could do was micromanage crew shifts and decide what colour of lights to have on, so in other words all the fun stuff was abstracted away and all the irrelevant detail you had to do manually and with a pretty bad interface.

Has that actually fundamentally changed or is it just iterated on the same concept of division of roles?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

nipperi posted:

I think the blue lighting doubles as a ”Run Silent” button. I might be wrong, it’s been awhile since I played.

Didn’t stop the guy from reloading the tubes.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Pharnakes posted:

Last time I played U-boat I felt is was totally non engaging, all you were doing as commander was waiting for number to go up as your crew IDed targets, worked out course and speed,ect. And all you could do was micromanage crew shifts and decide what colour of lights to have on, so in other words all the fun stuff was abstracted away and all the irrelevant detail you had to do manually and with a pretty bad interface.

Has that actually fundamentally changed or is it just iterated on the same concept of division of roles?

They've added a number of customization options when you start a new game to tailor how much you want automated regarding targeting/crew management/food management. So if there were elements you found tedious you can automate them. As far as targeting solutions you can play with manual mode where you have to work out the ships course/speed and distance as well as identifying it. IMHO playing with manual targeting is the way to play the game as letting you crew calculate the solution for you takes all the skill/fun out of it.

If you really didn't like UBOAT before you might still not, but a lot of the tedium has been reduced and the UI has gotten a lot better.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

There's also this where you play as the destroyer, I had a go and did not manage to sink a sub. It's beta, just mash the request access button.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1272010/Destroyer_The_UBoat_Hunter/

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

There’s also DCS: Type VII

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1530920/Crush_Depth_UBoat_Simulator/

No comment on whether it’s worth a drat though, $50 is pretty steep for what’s clearly very early access.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Popete posted:

They've added a number of customization options when you start a new game to tailor how much you want automated regarding targeting/crew management/food management. So if there were elements you found tedious you can automate them. As far as targeting solutions you can play with manual mode where you have to work out the ships course/speed and distance as well as identifying it. IMHO playing with manual targeting is the way to play the game as letting you crew calculate the solution for you takes all the skill/fun out of it.

If you really didn't like UBOAT before you might still not, but a lot of the tedium has been reduced and the UI has gotten a lot better.

This is what I hate about hardcore u-boat/Second World War sub games. I am sorry, doing trigonometry is not that fun; had I been a U-Boat commander I would have delegated the course and speed calculations to a subordinate.

This is probably why I find all of the realism mods for Cold Waters engaging, but none of the Silent Hunter III realism mods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Yeah I'm firmly on the side of playing UBOAT simulators for the experience of setting up an attack on a convoy and then trying to get away safely. I did all the trigonometry I ever wanted at school.