Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

It’s definitely not just Spider-Man but that was certainly the worst for me
nearly every game released in the last three years or so will make the fans loud unfortunately

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Martian Manfucker posted:

I got a friend's hand me down PS4 Pro and it's my first proper console since the PS2 (I've had Nintendo handhelds and the Switch since then), and coming from a PC that's kitted out with a Noctua cooler and fans, this thing is loving loud. It was fine when I was playing Bloodborne, didn't notice it at all, but popping Spiderman in and this thing is literally drowning out the dialogue and game sounds. I've started having to use noise cancelling headphones just to be near the thing when I'm playing.

Is replacing the fan with something better going to make an appreciable difference or is it just Like This? I've read differing reports about whether or not it makes a difference, same with reapplying the thermal paste and pads.

God of War had some real noisy moments on my PS4 Pro but it kinda fit the setting (firing up the warp tree and the PS4 spinning up like it's powering the portal lol)

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I played pretty much every PS4 game with headphones for this reason

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
My partner has a non-Pro and every time he plays Ghost of Tsushima or RDR2, the console starts making the most intense fan noises I've ever heard.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

PS5 is silent so far, though I haven't had much to throw at it lol

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
Which Spider-Man? The 2018 one with Yuri Lowenthal? I loved that game. That and H:ZD are like the first two games in years to make my 30 year old rear end cry. On topic, I've got a seconhand PS4 slim that isn't that loud. Weird.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

There are also a shocking number of PS4 games that don't cap frame rates on menu screens so the console will go into hovercraft mode when you pause the game.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

i was moved to tears on several occasions by red dead redemption 2. when arthur’s horse gets shot in the final escape and he stops for a moment to pet it one last time and say “thank you, boy…” gently caress

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Weedle posted:

i was moved to tears on several occasions by red dead redemption 2. when arthur’s horse gets shot in the final escape and he stops for a moment to pet it one last time and say “thank you, boy…” gently caress

Yup that game wore me out with feeeeelings in so many ways

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Rocket Pan posted:

Everyone involved. You all complained Doom64 achievements were too easy and got them all in like 30 minutes, so this is our revenge.

hehehehe it wasnt so tough after all. mods change my name to ranger69. :colbert:

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I finally finally tried Greedfall in earnest and its....its fine. Its decent.

It really does feel like some lost Bioware game from like 2005, complete with sturdy fighter companion, mysterious magic lady companion, a half-baked crafting system, etc.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

just got Aliens: Fireteam Elite to try out, lmk if anyone wants to play!!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Psychonauts 2 was really good for the most part. Only complaint is it feels like there's two disparate script drafts welded together as the interns may as well just vanish from the plot after the first act where the games feels like it's setting up a more "go on missions with the teachers" dynamic, and the game suddenly focuses on aspects of Ford Cruller around the Motherlobe instead. All just for them to reappear in the finale like they've been around for the entire game's story.

It's still really good, and does a fantastic job of just insinuating enough on the darker topics behind some of the character's issues without making light of them, or bringing them too far into the spotlight for a kid's game, while still making it clear what's going on if you know the signs. Eg; Bob's alcoholism throughout his family's history.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

I'm going to buy the gently caress out of Far Cry 6 when is that happening

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

just got Aliens: Fireteam Elite to try out, lmk if anyone wants to play!!

The trailer got me, I bought it. I've tried running through the first mission a couple times, it's serious about wanting you to play with other people. Harder difficulties just seem to ramp up enemy health, which certainly does make it much harder. Character customization is pretty good, and one of the male voice actors is one of those insanely recognizable voices you can't put a name to; I think he was in Animaniacs and a bunch of other things.

Weapons and character designs straight from the movies, and the first mission looks like it's set in the station you snuck through in Alien: Isolation (it's explicitly a different one, but the set pieces and feel are all very similar.) The graphics overall are...not incredible. Things move a little too fast, no one opens their mouth to talk, etc, but it sort of serves the manic feeling they're going for. Sort of.

I can't tell if I just suck at video games now or if you're supposed to bounce off the first level a few times to unlock things, but I'm bouncing

Inspector Hound fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Sep 2, 2021

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Martian Manfucker posted:

I got a friend's hand me down PS4 Pro and it's my first proper console since the PS2 (I've had Nintendo handhelds and the Switch since then), and coming from a PC that's kitted out with a Noctua cooler and fans, this thing is loving loud. It was fine when I was playing Bloodborne, didn't notice it at all, but popping Spiderman in and this thing is literally drowning out the dialogue and game sounds. I've started having to use noise cancelling headphones just to be near the thing when I'm playing.

Is replacing the fan with something better going to make an appreciable difference or is it just Like This? I've read differing reports about whether or not it makes a difference, same with reapplying the thermal paste and pads.
If it's secondhand you probably want to open it up and clean it as a starter. Your average person might dust the vents but never opens the case and the fan can get real nasty. It'll still sound like a jet from time to time but average volume will probably drop.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

https://blog.playstation.com/2021/09/01/playstation-plus-games-for-september-overcooked-all-you-can-eat-hitman-2-predator-hunting-grounds/

lol that this thread is so dead no one noticed or cared that the PS+ games were announced

two extremely good games! that admittedly you probably already own if you have any interest in them! and also a multiplayer game i will never install!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

one of those good games is PS5 only BUD

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
Friends of Mineral Town coming to PS4, whoo.

https://twitter.com/XSEEDGames/status/1433221905541107719

(Heh, PoOT.)

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Inspector Hound posted:

The trailer got me, I bought it. I've tried running through the first mission a couple times, it's serious about wanting you to play with other people. Harder difficulties just seem to ramp up enemy health, which certainly does make it much harder. Character customization is pretty good, and one of the male voice actors is one of those insanely recognizable voices you can't put a name to; I think he was in Animaniacs and a bunch of other things.

Weapons and character designs straight from the movies, and the first mission looks like it's set in the station you snuck through in Alien: Isolation (it's explicitly a different one, but the set pieces and feel are all very similar.) The graphics overall are...not incredible. Things move a little too fast, no one opens their mouth to talk, etc, but it sort of serves the manic feeling they're going for. Sort of.

I can't tell if I just suck at video games now or if you're supposed to bounce off the first level a few times to unlock things, but I'm bouncing

yeah, it's just ok. I read a comment that this exact game could have been released 10 years ago, which is def true. It's unpolished, although it is an indie game. I'm early-on, I guess it opens up more. I like the lore/franchise, and horde with co-op, so I guess it scratches that itch. If PS store had some refund option before x amount of hours like steam, I just may have. The official discord is handy for finding a group, so I'll enjoy the large short-lived playerbase for now and have fun with it.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

New zone update, hell yeah. Time to find out what the gently caress is happening on Lightning Hell Island

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

RareAcumen posted:

New zone update, hell yeah. Time to find out what the gently caress is happening on Lightning Hell Island

I mean, its still mainly covid and brexit tbh.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

wrong thread

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Genshin is a PS4 game :confused:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Sakurazuka posted:

Genshin is a PS4 game :confused:

no, i misposted :)

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Lol

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

SiKboy posted:

hahaha

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

SiKboy posted:

They get thunderstorms? I thought it was just constantly overcast.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

RareAcumen posted:

They get thunderstorms? I thought it was just constantly overcast.

we get everything, just tornados and earthquakes are super super rare.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

SiKboy posted:

:five:

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

You haven't lived until you're trying to play Virtua fighter 5 online on your vita through remote play because your mother in law wants to watch the news

Hades also not so good that way

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Greedfall is growing on me a little bit.

It feels like 60% of a Bioware game. But like, the good and bad of that 60%, so it still has a half-assed crafting and loot system and a little bit too much backtracking across empty landscapes, but also skill checks and choices and companions who tell you a lot about their culture and all that. It tries to be about colonialism and almost succeeds?

What I appreciate about it is that it seems intentionally mundane. Like, the protagonist is literally just a bureaucrat and over half the quests involve brokering trade agreements or peace deals and only rarely does it devolve into a big setpiece action scene and a fight. It feels kind of pleasantly low stakes.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

GoutPatrol posted:

You haven't lived until you're trying to play Virtua fighter 5 online on your vita through remote play because your mother in law wants to watch the news

Hades also not so good that way

finally good games on the vita?

i havent played vf5 for awhile, my left hand thumb is weirdly sore for awhile, its better now but back when it released it was very hard to use the d-pad, i need to get a fight stick and get back to making people ragequit.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Wolfsheim posted:

It feels like 60% of a Bioware game. But like, the good and bad of that 60%, so it still has a half-assed crafting and loot system and a little bit too much backtracking across empty landscapes, but also skill checks and choices and companions who tell you a lot about their culture and all that. It tries to be about colonialism and almost succeeds?

What I appreciate about it is that it seems intentionally mundane. Like, the protagonist is literally just a bureaucrat and over half the quests involve brokering trade agreements or peace deals and only rarely does it devolve into a big setpiece action scene and a fight. It feels kind of pleasantly low stakes.

On the plus side it's better than at least the two most recent Bioware games :v:

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Wolfsheim posted:

This is p much exactly how I felt about greedfall. I really enjoyed it for what it was

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Sakurazuka posted:

On the plus side it's better than at least the two most recent Bioware games :v:

reminder that anthem is the bob dylan of video games

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
Just got to back to back boss fights in Yakuza 4 and I wish they'd stop doing that.

Yakuza 4 is a lot of fun. Probably 2nd or 3rd favorite after 0 and maybe 1. 2 feels old and 3 has very obvious pacing problems.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I'm trying to figure out what's going on with my ps4. When I'm done playing I always shut it off. But often when I turn it on again, either using the ps button on my controller or the power button on the console, the bright blue light will come on, but then switch into that purple-white light - however nothing comes up on my display. I have to hold the power button down to turn it off, and then repeat. Usually this time, I will get safe mode and the "the ps4 was not shut down properly" message. After that it works fine.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

actionjackson posted:

I'm trying to figure out what's going on with my ps4. When I'm done playing I always shut it off. But often when I turn it on again, either using the ps button on my controller or the power button on the console, the bright blue light will come on, but then switch into that purple-white light - however nothing comes up on my display. I have to hold the power button down to turn it off, and then repeat. Usually this time, I will get safe mode and the "the ps4 was not shut down properly" message. After that it works fine.

While the PS is running, try unplugging the relevant HDMI cable from the TV, then plugging it back in. If it's run through a switch or something first, see if bypassing it fixes it. It could be a bad cable or socket on the TV

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Hey PS4 thread. I got Spider-Man (not the recent Miles one) and was having fun at first, but all those collecthalon thingies are getting way tiresome this side of a super grindy Ubisoft open world game.

I thought "fine, let's focus on the story instead". And I got into the first battle with Shocker and this mofo is just leaping across the city at ridiculous speeds and I need to chase it down. After the fifth time I failed (either I wouldn't get enough speed, or I would mistime a dodge, or I would get stuck on the wrong street because I didn't do a corner correctly) and I'm thinking "jesus, I'm missing something clearly". But I tried to search around gamefaqs or whatever and it just seems that there's no particular trick to it and that I just somehow have to magically get gud at it even though nothing in the game so far, even the car chases, prepared me for this moment.

This game is starting to piss me off and before I write it off, is there seriously no better advice to this part other than keep trying?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
Are you using the pull towards a crouch point and immediately launch off that combo? It's incredible speed especially if you mess up and need to catch up.