Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006
It all looks mostly ok apart from the character specific coins to level up abilities - looks grindy as hell, especially considering the number of mercs and the fact that the coins also have rarity. Legendary mercy are going to be hell to level.
Oh and I don't like having to spend core gold on building up the town, when most of the buildings are just ui buttons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012
On hero points and packs, a bunch of bad napkin math

Here's what you need:
This is an educated guess, but judging from the footage we have, each mercenary has 3 abilities with 5 levels, and 3 pieces of equipment with 4 levels.
We know the first ability level-up costs 50 hero points, and the second costs 100. If they progress linearly from there, the level from 3 to 4 costs 150, and from 4 to 5 probably 200. That's a tidy 500 coins to max each ability. 1500 hero points to max out all abilities of a single hero.

Assuming equipment also costs 50->100->150 to get to level 4, that's another 300 per equipment, so between 300 and 900 depending if you want them all, since you can only equip one at a time.

That's between 1800 and 2400 hero points to max a single hero.

Here's what you get:
- 4 drops of 5 to 30 (from the stream you can target your desired heroes somewhat depending on which bounty you do, higher level bounties might also offer more hero points) from a bounty that takes probably between 15-30 minutes to complete. That's about 150-200 total per hour of grinding, but most likely in large part for mediocre rare heroes.
- 5 drops of 50 to 90(?) hero points from winning twice in pvp, but we don't know yet how repeatable that is; whether that's a thing that resets daily or progresses in a ladder fashion or similar.
- 3-5 times 35 to 45 points from packs, at a somewhat obscure rate, depending on the amount of heroes, equipment and cosmetics you have already collected, if I understand this correctly.

There's something like 52+ heroes to collect, with different skins (Illidan alone has 2 in 3 different tiers it looks like) and 3 pieces of equipment each, and you bet your butt there's more to come. So uh, it'll take a while.

I'm doing this in part to calculate the expected worth of the pre-order packs to laugh at them (and dissuade me from spending money :sweatdrop:).

Ignoring cosmetics, you'll probably get around 2-3 legendary heroes plus the legendary from the associated pack, ~10 epic heroes, an unknown amount of equipment out of a pool of 150+ (probably the most important to get a leg up early, I assume?) a bunch of rare trash as usual, which eventually evens out to something around 160-200 random hero points from each pack once you have collected all the rare heroes and skins.

After 50 packs, that's around 8000 hero points, which is a drop in the bucket if you're a crazy person looking to max them all - which would require like 100.000 to 120.000.
Edit: of course maxing them all is a pretty unreasonable point of reference, most of the heroes will be lovely packfillers. The more important point of reference would be a full S tier team of 6 for PvP/questing at 12k. But even then each of these 50 bucks only provide something like 10% progress towards that (8k out of 100k at a ratio of 6:52? is that right? I'm bad at math, but according to my calculations you end up with something like 150 hero points to spend on each hero), assuming the hero points are distributed somewhat equally, which of course they aren't.

I really hope I did a mistake somewhere because... oof

Oenis fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Sep 3, 2021

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
Those gacha type games seem to have that limitless potential to keep upgrading things that don't actually change the gameplay at all. Like the gameplay is exactly the same except your units have a pink glow around them instead of blue and you get to fight other people with pink glows on their units. Upgrading is essentially a mirage of progress. I think Mercs will end up being a mode that can be safely enjoyed with the scraps you get for free and ignore all the monetization crap that will do absolutely nothing for your enjoyment of the mode beyond a very low starting point.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
I would be far more likely to give Mercs more of a chance if they didn't price all 3 of the intro bundles so loving high. 50bux each lol no gently caress you Blizzard. Maybe at $20 or so I'd buy one to see.

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012

Desert Bus posted:

I would be far more likely to give Mercs more of a chance if they didn't price all 3 of the intro bundles so loving high. 50bux each lol no gently caress you Blizzard. Maybe at $20 or so I'd buy one to see.

Actually, the Sylvanas bundle is 30 bucks for 30 packs.
If you want to know what their abilities actually look like at level 1, here's all the revealed mercenaries so far:
https://imgur.com/a/3lfegCY#f7YjOMM

ngl I hate the monetization already but I'm still a bit hyped about playing it, despite the gargantuan gently caress-up that was the reveal stream.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
How does this even happen?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuUSv3So0Bw&t=172s

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Interesting competitive play news: As of this weekend until it is fixed,

"the card Southsea Scoundrel is temporarily banned from competitive play due to an in-game bug. If a player randomly generates the card, they will not be punished for playing it."

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Awesome bug, I want that bug!

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

My guess is that 128 is some kind of maximum value or default value in the hearthstone code, and some aspect of the two cards he plays to interact with the C'thun card does something "wrong" that ends up setting the card stats to this value.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

quote:

This is where the bug is coming into effect. When C'thun gets pulled from the Maxima, it should have the buffs attached, but the game is confusing the buffs since C'thun is popping out in an unconventional way. The game is trying to read him as an 8/8, but because the number of buffs is getting lost somewhere in this interaction, it is defaulting to buff it "infinite" times, but Hearthstone caps these interactions at 60, giving us the extra 120 damage.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

It's a shame that C'thun is currently disabled due to this buggy razorgore/whelp smuggler bullshit because he's my fav hero to snap pick, turn my brain off, press The Button and usually top 4

Psychepath
Apr 30, 2003

Flayer posted:

Those gacha type games seem to have that limitless potential to keep upgrading things that don't actually change the gameplay at all. Like the gameplay is exactly the same except your units have a pink glow around them instead of blue and you get to fight other people with pink glows on their units. Upgrading is essentially a mirage of progress. I think Mercs will end up being a mode that can be safely enjoyed with the scraps you get for free and ignore all the monetization crap that will do absolutely nothing for your enjoyment of the mode beyond a very low starting point.

Initially hearing that mercenaries have equipment and abilities made me think of Darkest Dungeon, where you pick and choose between all kinds of stuff depending on the environment you're going into or party composition, but no, it's just like Paladin Shield > Paladin Shield II and their health increases by 1. There's nothing strategically different between a new hero or a max leveled one, so the early hours will feel the same as "endgame," and there will be runs that just fail for no reason beyond the numbers being too low.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Do you want to jump through a bunch of mega-obscure hoops for 20+ minutes for a card back? Do you?

Well, here you go!

Cry Havoc
May 10, 2004

This cyberpunk cartoon avatar is pretty dang ol' good, I tell you what.
these tedious puzzles for card backs are so asinine

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I liked that the final two bosses in Book of Heroes Illidan were references to the final mission of Warcraft 3: Frozen Throne and his boss fight in WoW. Without the player characters in the boss fight it doesn’t make much sense why Illidan just randomly dies at the end though

RatHat fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Sep 4, 2021

Boatswain
May 29, 2012
I just spent 1600 dust on Dr. Slate lets go quest hunter lmao.

Cant Ride A Bus
Apr 9, 2012

"Batman, Bruce Wayne. Bruce Wayne, Batman. Or have you met?"

Boatswain posted:

It’s worth the 1600 the first time you get to bola shot a warlocks 2 giants & gnoll.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Between getting stomped by every quest deck for playing a deck that takes longer than six turns for lethal and this new game I don't understand inside a game I used to understand I think this game has finally left me behind

And I think I'm alright with it

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Orange Carlisle posted:

Between getting stomped by every quest deck for playing a deck that takes longer than six turns for lethal and this new game I don't understand inside a game I used to understand I think this game has finally left me behind

And I think I'm alright with it
Battlegrounds still loves you!

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Boatswain posted:

What list are you using?

Last King
Sep 29, 2007

In corporate R'lyeh, Cthulhu works you.

Fun Shoe

AnacondaHL posted:

I love Regis a ton and really, really want to love his YT videos, but he has this problem that every video he puts out is about 3x longer than it needs to be.

Given that the Trump video is 15 minutes and the combined two Regis videos are 49 minutes, I'm probably safe blindly recommending the former over the latter.

people on youtube love doing this, really gotta milk that timer for those sweet ad dollars!

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

All videos on youtube should default to x2 speed, and they should maybe allow for up to x3 with increments.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

Amoeba102 posted:

All videos on youtube should default to x2 speed, and they should maybe allow for up to x3 with increments.

I think you can set your settings to default to that.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cry Havoc posted:

these tedious puzzles for card backs are so asinine

I think they're basically someone's pet project for the secret finding community to have fun with, they're not really meant to be something every person goes and does. It's just a card back.

Boatswain
May 29, 2012

RatHat posted:

What list are you using?

Something I stole from donkey or VS:

AAECAa/XAwbk1AOP4wOP5APl7wP9+AOXoAQM+84DudAD/tEDjeQDlugD3OoD2+0D9/gDlPwDqZ8Eqp8Eu6AEAA==

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

This comp is straight loving busted

My minions ended up having several thousand attack/HP by the end of each round

Last King
Sep 29, 2007

In corporate R'lyeh, Cthulhu works you.

Fun Shoe

Oenis posted:

On hero points and packs, a bunch of bad napkin math

Here's what you need:
This is an educated guess, but judging from the footage we have, each mercenary has 3 abilities with 5 levels, and 3 pieces of equipment with 4 levels.
We know the first ability level-up costs 50 hero points, and the second costs 100. If they progress linearly from there, the level from 3 to 4 costs 150, and from 4 to 5 probably 200. That's a tidy 500 coins to max each ability. 1500 hero points to max out all abilities of a single hero.

Assuming equipment also costs 50->100->150 to get to level 4, that's another 300 per equipment, so between 300 and 900 depending if you want them all, since you can only equip one at a time.

That's between 1800 and 2400 hero points to max a single hero.

Here's what you get:
- 4 drops of 5 to 30 (from the stream you can target your desired heroes somewhat depending on which bounty you do, higher level bounties might also offer more hero points) from a bounty that takes probably between 15-30 minutes to complete. That's about 150-200 total per hour of grinding, but most likely in large part for mediocre rare heroes.
- 5 drops of 50 to 90(?) hero points from winning twice in pvp, but we don't know yet how repeatable that is; whether that's a thing that resets daily or progresses in a ladder fashion or similar.
- 3-5 times 35 to 45 points from packs, at a somewhat obscure rate, depending on the amount of heroes, equipment and cosmetics you have already collected, if I understand this correctly.

There's something like 52+ heroes to collect, with different skins (Illidan alone has 2 in 3 different tiers it looks like) and 3 pieces of equipment each, and you bet your butt there's more to come. So uh, it'll take a while.

I'm doing this in part to calculate the expected worth of the pre-order packs to laugh at them (and dissuade me from spending money :sweatdrop:).

Ignoring cosmetics, you'll probably get around 2-3 legendary heroes plus the legendary from the associated pack, ~10 epic heroes, an unknown amount of equipment out of a pool of 150+ (probably the most important to get a leg up early, I assume?) a bunch of rare trash as usual, which eventually evens out to something around 160-200 random hero points from each pack once you have collected all the rare heroes and skins.

After 50 packs, that's around 8000 hero points, which is a drop in the bucket if you're a crazy person looking to max them all - which would require like 100.000 to 120.000.
Edit: of course maxing them all is a pretty unreasonable point of reference, most of the heroes will be lovely packfillers. The more important point of reference would be a full S tier team of 6 for PvP/questing at 12k. But even then each of these 50 bucks only provide something like 10% progress towards that (8k out of 100k at a ratio of 6:52? is that right? I'm bad at math, but according to my calculations you end up with something like 150 hero points to spend on each hero), assuming the hero points are distributed somewhat equally, which of course they aren't.

I really hope I did a mistake somewhere because... oof

very interesting stuff... thanks for putting this together. a shame this is the path they headed down towards instead of dedicating those resources towards fixing / balancing other things such as the ui! frustrating, but unexpected since it's activison and they've been pushing hard to monetize everything under the sun now. as if charging for battleground skins wasn't bad enough, then they added separate skins for the bartender as well. it makes the earlier skins for the original heroes look like a down right steal, they are so affordable and unlock so much value...

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Some development is happening right now in Warlock decks, to make more use of the Tamsin quest reward, contrary to what the current Quest Handlock is doing.

One goes all in on this approach:

### Questline Turbomill
# Class: Warlock
# Format: Standard
# Year of the Gryphon
#
# 2x (0) Raise Dead
# 2x (1) Armor Vendor
# 1x (1) The Demon Seed
# 2x (1) Touch of the Nathrezim
# 2x (1) Tour Guide
# 2x (2) Cult Neophyte
# 2x (2) Drain Soul
# 2x (2) Manafeeder Panthara
# 2x (2) Unstable Shadow Blast
# 2x (3) Backfire
# 2x (3) Blood Shard Bristleback
# 2x (3) Runed Mithril Rod
# 1x (3) Tamsin Roame
# 2x (4) Nightshade Matron
# 2x (4) Soul Rend
# 2x (6) Hand of Gul'dan
#
AAECAf0GAvLtA4T7Aw61uQO2uQObzQPXzgP7zgOL1QOS5AOT5APY7QPw7QOI7wO98QOD+wPnoAQA
#
# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone
# Generated by HDT - https://hsreplay.net

but I didn't like the feel of this one, and got middling results. It's good though.

What I was successful with was a hybrid of the mill deck and handlock:

### Questline Handrod
# Year of the Gryphon
#
# 2x (0) Raise Dead
# 1x (1) The Demon Seed
# 2x (1) Tour Guide
# 1x (2) Bloodmage Thalnos
# 2x (2) Cult Neophyte
# 2x (2) Drain Soul
# 2x (3) Backfire
# 2x (4) Soul Rend
# 2x (6) Barrens Scavenger
# 2x (10) Flesh Giant
# 2x (10) Goldshire Gnoll
#
AAECAf0GAoT7A5egBA6bzQPXzgP7zgPB0QOL1QOT5APY7QPw7QPx7QOI7wO98QPG+QOD+wPnoAQA
#
# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone

As long as you can dodge Mages and Paladins you're good to go!

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
I like the second list, but I think I'd still rather have Hecklefangs or Flame Imps over the Neophytes.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Shockeh posted:

I like the second list, but I think I'd still rather have Hecklefangs or Flame Imps over the Neophytes.

Nah, there's more than enough self damage and draw. That's more of the zoo build anyways.

Cult Neophyte is so good in this meta, it's actually kinda annoying.

victorious
Jul 2, 2007

As a youth I prayed, "Give me chastity and continence, but not yet."
I played that elemental mage deck with just hot streak and Grand Finale as spells and the opponent's single Neophyte on the turn after I played my four elementals completely countered my whole deck by itself lol.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If it's partial hand deck, is there a reason you're not running Anetheron?

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
As Mutantus picks out my Quest reward from a hand of 8 Minions, I do wonder if it picks the newest card, or something…

victorious
Jul 2, 2007

As a youth I prayed, "Give me chastity and continence, but not yet."

Shockeh posted:

As Mutantus picks out my Quest reward from a hand of 8 Minions, I do wonder if it picks the newest card, or something…

I ask myself similar questions when my Perpetual Flame hits the one minion with divine shield out of my opponent's full board.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Acerbatus posted:

If it's partial hand deck, is there a reason you're not running Anetheron?

There's just no room. And ultimately an 8/6 is weaker than an 8/8.

The next card that would be added if there was room would be Mortal Coil.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

AnacondaHL posted:

Some development is happening right now in Warlock decks, to make more use of the Tamsin quest reward, contrary to what the current Quest Handlock is doing.

One goes all in on this approach:

### Questline Turbomill
# Year of the Gryphon
#
# 2x (0) Raise Dead
# 2x (1) Armor Vendor
# 1x (1) The Demon Seed
# 2x (1) Tour Guide
# 2x (2) Cult Neophyte
# 2x (2) Drain Soul
# 2x (3) Backfire
# 1x (3) Tamsin Roame
# 2x (4) Nightshade Matron
# 2x (4) Soul Rend
# 2x (6) Hand of Gul'dan
#
AAECAf0GAvLtA4T7Aw61uQO2uQObzQPXzgP7zgOL1QOS5AOT5APY7QPw7QOI7wO98QOD+wPnoAQA
#

but I didn't like the feel of this one, and got middling results. It's good though.

What I was successful with was a hybrid of the mill deck and handlock:

### Questline Handrod
# Year of the Gryphon
#
# 2x (0) Raise Dead
# 1x (1) The Demon Seed
# 2x (1) Tour Guide
# 1x (2) Bloodmage Thalnos
# 2x (2) Cult Neophyte
# 2x (2) Drain Soul
# 2x (3) Backfire
# 2x (4) Soul Rend
# 2x (6) Barrens Scavenger
# 2x (10) Flesh Giant
# 2x (10) Goldshire Gnoll
#
AAECAf0GAoT7A5egBA6bzQPXzgP7zgPB0QOL1QOT5APY7QPw7QPx7QOI7wO98QPG+QOD+wPnoAQA
#

As long as you can dodge Mages and Paladins you're good to go!

If anyone is interested in this kind of deck in wild.i highly recommend this list:

### Combo Quest
# Format: Wild
#
# 2x (0) Raise Dead
# 2x (1) Armor Vendor
# 2x (1) Crystallizer
# 2x (1) Kobold Librarian
# 2x (1) Plague of Flames
# 1x (1) The Demon Seed
# 1x (1) The Soularium
# 2x (1) Tour Guide
# 2x (2) Defile
# 2x (2) Expired Merchant
# 2x (3) Backfire
# 1x (3) Rustrot Viper
# 1x (4) Cataclysm
# 2x (6) Hand of Gul'dan
#
AAEBAa35AwTO6QKPggPQ+QOE+wMN58sC8tAC+v4C/aQDnakDtbkDm80D184DkuQDk+QD8O0DvfEDg/sDAA==
#

Mulligan for armor vendor, crystallizer, and touch of the nathrezim vs secret mage. The rustrot viper is just sorta there, it could probably be anything though. I'm considering swapping it for secret hate given the prevalence of secret mage.

Mulligan for crystallizer, runed mithril rod and hand of guldan vs everyone else.

Essentially you want to get to a point where you have 3-4 hand of guldan in hand and an empty library, typically around turn 6-7 then cataclysm and deal between 50 and 100 fatigue damage to your opponent in a single turn. With cost discounts on backfires and soularium you can even hit 20-25 overdraws sometimes in a single turn.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

I just accidentally discovered a Nomi into Felbat comp. It was great.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Every time I go against a Greybough with Khadgar I start frowning for the rest of the game, which usually is not very long

Boatswain
May 29, 2012
I'm loving around with Fel DH, weird but fun deck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Oh hey, Battlegrounds is out of Beta, isn’t it?

Unrelated, back when I beat the final Book of Heroes chapter, I did it on my phone. I got some weird unfinished popup with underscores in it that seemed to be for completing every Book of Heroes chapter. Is/was there supposed to be a reward associated with that?