Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
favourite number
This poll is closed.
835 3 2.29%
2 14 10.69%
3,400,981 17 12.98%
11 19 14.50%
21 13 9.92%
7070 12 9.16%
58008 53 40.46%
Total: 131 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Panic Restaurant
Jul 19, 2006

:retrogames: :3: :retrogames:

Pork Pro

Jay Rust posted:

Every video game is made by absolute fuckers :(

I refuse to believe Pac-Man 2 The New Adventures was made by anything other than saints

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

stev posted:

What's Garry hiding?

this isn't his first rodeo

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

stev posted:

What's Garry hiding?

A naive belief in the battlefield of ideas

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
Looks like a lot of goons who spent the last several years taking every opportunity to call game developers cowardly/stupid/evil for not sticking their noses into politics and alienating their players are getting pretty upset here… I thought this type of petty, rancid bullshit was what you guys wanted? Odd.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Yes, celebrating a direct attack on a womans body autonomy, putting a bounty on fellow citizens for the decisions they make about their own physical, mental, and financial well being, and falsely claiming a 6 week old mass of cells is a baby is rancid bullshit, I agree.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Garry has always been a poo poo-stirring jackass even back during the HL1 days when we ran in the same circles on IRC, lol.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Lumpy the Cook posted:

Looks like a lot of goons who spent the last several years taking every opportunity to call game developers cowardly/stupid/evil for not sticking their noses into politics and alienating their players are getting pretty upset here… I thought this type of petty, rancid bullshit was what you guys wanted? Odd.

cram it, lumpy

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Panic Restaurant posted:

I refuse to believe Pac-Man 2 The New Adventures was made by anything other than saints

I just played through that game this year, even

Absolute gem

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Lumpy the Cook posted:

This is bait, but gently caress it, I'll bite. Yes, I unironically want companies to come out in favor of good issues and come out against bad issues. I also don't mind companies coming out in support of awful things or in opposition to good things because then I get to tell them to gently caress off and die and laugh when they get hosed. Hope this clarifies things for ya!

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Lumpy the Cook posted:

daaaaamn you're dumb as hell

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

ZeeBoi posted:

sounds like he's just bitter that he couldn't get the votes to be a video gamer feminist

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
It's just sideshow bob stepping on rakes over and over

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I just got my connection speed tripled because I told spectrum tonight to upgrade my billing to Spectrum from Time Warner Cable (pre-2014) while installing a new modem.
My 35mbps download speeds tripled, and my upload speeds doubled.
Meaning we got (unintentionally) bamboozled on paying our internet package for 8 years. :shepface:

Grouchio fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Sep 6, 2021

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

gently caress sake Nintendo :argh:

https://twitter.com/heyphilsummers/status/1434294616669425664

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/handdrawngameguides/hand-drawn-game-guides

https://twitter.com/heyphilsummers/status/1423675231466622981

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Grouchio posted:

I just got my connection speed tripled because I told spectrum tonight to upgrade my billing to Spectrum from Time Warner Cable (pre-2014) while installing a new modem.
My 35mbps download speeds tripled, and my upload speeds doubled.
Meaning we got bamboozled on paying our internet package for 8 years. :shepface:

It's like when I realized when my mom was paying 120$ a month for her phone

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Lumpy the Cook posted:

https://twitter.com/dril/status/473265809079693312?s=21

Weedle
May 31, 2006

i do feel bad for any non-chuds who work for tripwire because judging from the responses to the latest tweet from the corporate account, they are 100% hosed in terms of public perception

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

This guy is going to be embarrassed when I show him how to find game guides on https://www.google.com for free.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Hwurmp posted:

all consumables should be based on cooldowns or uses per encounter

as long as i can unload my super missiles in imsane salvos

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Just use your game items, it’ll be fine I promise

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

Was he planning on selling the guides, or were they going to be free PDFs?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

firing up switcher again after a while. gotta say even with all the sacrifices they made to get this thing running on a five-year-old arm soc it still looks fabulous

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

How would they even have a case there, it's a game guide.

Willo567 posted:

Was he planning on selling the guides, or were they going to be free PDFs?

Regardless of whether they were selling them or not, they're still just guides. It isn't like there is anything out there saying someone can't make and profit off of writing about a product.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I think there have been cases involving guides to harry potter or the simpsons where the judge ruled in favor of the copyright holder but I'm just pulling that off the top of my head, I could be mis-remembering

It's easier though for Nintendo to C&D an individual creator rather than actually go to court against a small publishing company putting out an unlicensed guide on the gameshop counter shelf.. which of course is no longer a thing but I mean back in the day where there were the official Prima guides and then the unlicensed ones

With fair use it always becomes a subjective ruling and that's what is frustrating about it. But fan art in general is one of those situations where if companies wanted to be total assholes and torch their fandoms entirely, they could have a bunch of fan art DMCAed without issue... 20th Century Fox paved the way for this in the late 90s/early 2000s by C&Ding Simpsons fansites that used ANY art of the Simpsons, and I don't mean piracy but like, screencaps and fanart

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Sep 6, 2021

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
copyright law sucks, also water is wet

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I would assume the guide part is totally fine, its the art of the owned nintendo characters being the "draw" of this particular work.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Rarity posted:

A naive belief in the battlefield of ideas

ZeeBoi posted:

This ain't naivete, it's sealioning.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I realize now, my problem with consumables isn’t “too-good-to-use / but-what-if-i-need-it-later” syndrome, but rather, it’s remembering I have them in the first place

They’re sometimes too niche (+50% ice resist potion, that’s powerful but will I remember i have that when I’m fighting the ice trolls? No!!!), or they’re hidden away in a separate submenu (or e.g. in From games, I always have my healing potion selected, am I gonna think to switch to the next few items down the list while mid-fight? No!!! )

The solution? Death to consumables, only give me passive stat bonuses from now on

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Accidentally posted this in steam thread when I meant to post it here.

My vision's all fucky. You know that thing some of you were talking about with stuff like Tetris and The Witness where your brain and eyes start tricking you into thinking you're looking at that stuff happening in real life? I had that just now with Tyrian 2000. I kept failing the first stage over and over so I closed out of the game and everything on the screen looked like it was scrolling vertically like Tyrian 2000 does.

I've had that kind of visual illusion happen before when I was playing a ton of Pushmo (started seeing a bunch of walls and tiles irl as if they were Pushmo puzzles) but it has never happened outside of a puzzle game before.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I'm playing Slime Rancher for the first time and I think it's cute, but I have genuinely no idea what I'm doing. I unlocked these caves and meadows on my farm and I can go deep into the Indigo Quarry but like... being only able to pick up 4 things sucks and I don't have enough room for anything, and having to run all the way back to get stuff is maddening honestly.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Mode 7 posted:

I'm generally tired of the pervasive negativity that surrounds a lot of video game discourse but goddamn I just cannot think of anything positive to say about Twelve Minutes. I'd say I enjoyed the first 30 minutes or so of playing it but everything after that was so godawful that it poisoned even that. What a complete waste of an interesting concept. A story that falls apart under even a moment's scrutiny shackled to a clunky and frankly weirdly unpolished game engine. The twist comes across as a student writer's desperate attempts to be transgressive but there seems to be no point to any of it - if the game is trying to impart any sort of message at all it's completely lost in the shitshow of an ending.

The worst game I have played all year.

I am so loving pissed that we finally got a notable game from a Portuguese dev and THIS was the result.

Khanstant posted:

I can't think of any hollywood type actor who voiced a videogame character and it was incredible and better than if they had hired someone trained for the job. At best you pay too much for a celeb to do an exposition dump at the beginning or to read a few corny lines you can put in the trailer and first 15 minutes of the game that will be all 40% of players will ever see of it. I don't think even motion/face capture is yet to the point where actual acting skill appreciably matters, Death Stranding is closest and the tech still isn't there and if the actors were doing acting with their faces, it did not translate very well or in some cases makes moments confusing from weird face movement/lack-of.

One of the things that always stands out to me in the Far Cry 6 trailers is how freaking stiff Giancarlo Esposito's face looks. Like, if your tech is still that bad, why even cast him in the first place?

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Sep 6, 2021

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Is there a dedicated thread to 12 minutes. I feel like I'm insane for hating the hell out of it when all I saw on places like youtube was 'omg so deep and good'

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Most discussion of 12 Minutes went on in the XBox thread since it was on Gamepass. I think the goon consensus was predominantly negative, I definitely did not care for it.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
12 minutes is being panned by anyone i see post about it

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I genuinely think the only place I've seen 12 minutes praised was Hideo Kojima's twitter feed

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

its probably good then

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

FirstAidKite posted:

Accidentally posted this in steam thread when I meant to post it here.

My vision's all fucky. You know that thing some of you were talking about with stuff like Tetris and The Witness where your brain and eyes start tricking you into thinking you're looking at that stuff happening in real life? I had that just now with Tyrian 2000. I kept failing the first stage over and over so I closed out of the game and everything on the screen looked like it was scrolling vertically like Tyrian 2000 does.

I've had that kind of visual illusion happen before when I was playing a ton of Pushmo (started seeing a bunch of walls and tiles irl as if they were Pushmo puzzles) but it has never happened outside of a puzzle game before.

You should try some bullet hell games. Getting bullet eyes is basically a rite of passage, and it’s trippy and fun. :D

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Dewgy posted:

You should try some bullet hell games. Getting bullet eyes is basically a rite of passage, and it’s trippy and fun. :D

It's hard because my eyes literally cannot comprehend keeping track of the bullet patterns, reacting correctly and efficiently, and being able to parse the screen as a whole. Instead it just becomes a big smear of bullets and I can't follow any of it. I'm glad I can at least play them though because if I wasn't taking meds to manage my epilepsy then I know they'd be the kind of games that would trigger a major seizure.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

FirstAidKite posted:

It's hard because my eyes literally cannot comprehend keeping track of the bullet patterns, reacting correctly and efficiently, and being able to parse the screen as a whole. Instead it just becomes a big smear of bullets and I can't follow any of it. I'm glad I can at least play them though because if I wasn't taking meds to manage my epilepsy then I know they'd be the kind of games that would trigger a major seizure.

The way I always did it is to look at the negative space rather than the individual bullets. It’s not about what’s going to hit you, it’s about navigating to the safe spaces. Espgaluda was my gateway drug if you can :filez: your way into it, there’s a button that slows down bullets but makes enemies shoot a ton more of them at the same time and also swaps your character’s gender and it’s extremely fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
No, I mean like everything looks like a blur and my eyes and brain can't keep up with what I'm looking at.

Thankfully I just discovered a speed option in Tyrian so I was able to make it through the first stage at Slower speed and I'm glad to see there's a Slug speed beneath that if I need to slow it further.

I even got to the secret level from the first stage which is pretty neat :)

For me a lot of shmups, especially bullet hells, aren't just bullets and negative space but rather it's all just a big overwhelming blur and I'm lucky if I can focus on the bullets that are just about to smash into my ship. Like, lemme find a screenshot of a shmup and I'll try to show what I mean.

Idk what game that is but this is how shmups end up going for me. If I try to focus on my ship, I'm basically only able to see and comprehend this highlighted area.

If I try to focus on the enemies and their bullets, I get the opposite issue. I can't keep track of my ship anymore.

And if I try to follow the entire screen, it just turns into this.

It sucks because obviously the solution is "don't play shmups" but I like shmups even if I just cannot get my brain to process them.