Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

echinopsis posted:

mate that last one there really sounds like the soundtrack to something. not amateur at all.

thanks, that means a lot to me!

Zaxxon posted:

what are you using for the sounds?

Using kontakt. orchestra sounds are spitfire studio orchestra pro, the dizi and drums are from the native instruments east asia spotlight collection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

A quick one this time https://soundcloud.com/polterchair/through-the-desert

Spent maybe 2 hours on it. Started in on another and the intro is uhh, I can only describe it as anxiety in music form

Woolwich Bagnet fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Sep 3, 2021

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Minnesota Mixup posted:

A quick one this time https://soundcloud.com/user-87616560/through-the-desert

Spent maybe 2 hours on it. Started in on another and the intro is uhh, I can only describe it as anxiety in music form

it seems like most of what you're doing is pretty heavily influenced by game and movie soundtracks, the waltz in particular sounded like the harry potter theme.

if you're open to a suggestion, a good way to figure out more about pacing changes in melodies/harmonies would be transcribing themes from soundtracks you like.

john williams in particular is a genius at that so you could try to write out some stuff from star wars or whatever just to get a feel for what exactly they're doing.

good poo poo tho, enjoying it.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

yeah def listened to a ton of game and movie soundtracks. My dad actually commented that the waltz sounded like it should be in a harry potter movie

I think the jurassic park sound track was the first that really had an impact on me. I've had it in my head since I was like 8 or whatever. That's a good idea to do some transcription, thanks. Have a proper controller is really going to help with volume control too so I'm excited for that. now I need to order a bigger ssd for samples..

Zaxxon
Feb 14, 2004

Wir Tanzen Mekanik

Minnesota Mixup posted:

thanks, that means a lot to me!

Using kontakt. orchestra sounds are spitfire studio orchestra pro, the dizi and drums are from the native instruments east asia spotlight collection.

Thanks, it sounds quite good!

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Aaaaannddd another one. I was working 60+ hours a week for around a year and a half and it's finally over as of a couple of weeks ago so I guess I just have a lot of creativity to catch up on.

https://soundcloud.com/polterchair/tension-and-release

This one was around 10-12 hours of work. I could have probably kept going but it's long enough as is. Starting to use more chords as well.

Zaxxon posted:

Thanks, it sounds quite good!

Yeah, we're a long way from midi out of soundblaster, that's for sure.

Woolwich Bagnet fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Sep 3, 2021

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
that’s good in a way music I make never approaches

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

echinopsis posted:

that’s good in a way music I make never approaches

the stuff you posted on the last page (i saw it initially before it was edited in) is pretty cool. the sound on twins is really cool, and strokes after midnight has some pretty cool beats and sounds in it. together they'd be great I think

this is what sibelius looked like when that last song was in progress:

it was starting to get a little sluggish

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Thankyou for the positivity friend. I have a lot of visions and dreams but when it comes to pen on paper I turn into a pathetic baby

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

echinopsis posted:

Thankyou for the positivity friend. I have a lot of visions and dreams but when it comes to pen on paper I turn into a pathetic baby

yeah I feel that, in my head I can create melodies, harmonies, chords for them, etc at the same time, and hear it progress, but if I hear any other music it's pretty much gone forever, so I have to get it written down asap. record everything you do, cut it down to 4 or 8 measure sections, move it around and see how it sounds and tweak poo poo until you like it.

this time I did a choral. fun messing with the chords to get the sound I wanted, and it's not perfect by any stretch, but on to new things! I'm working on a... idk kinda chill underwater type song?

https://soundcloud.com/polterchair/hero-enlightened

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

It hasn't got six strings, but it's a lot of fun.
Not directly about making but I've been trying to reinforce my fundamentals by doing a lot of ear training (https://tonedear.com/ear-training) and transcription. I played guitar a lot but it's sort of gone by the wayside for me in favor of spending time producing and composing. My ear is getting better but struggling with the easier exercises can be tough as someone who considers themself to be "serious", which is silly I know. Gotta keep at it

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010
IMHO making music, like a lot of things, is generally best when you don't really give a poo poo. The stuff I do when I'm just messing about for fifteen minutes in my lunch break or randomly trying something out and then spending 5 hours fiddling with it is ten times better than what I make when I earnestly sit down and try to 'compose'. Finishing stuff is different, and obviously different strokes for different folks, but at least in the ideas stage putting pressure on yourself to make something 'good' is often counter productive.

Along those lines, I just bought a guitar (I can't play, at all) and hooked it up to my modular with an expression pedal on CV duty, and it's the most fun I've had in ages. Really makes me wish I could actually play though.

Zaxxon
Feb 14, 2004

Wir Tanzen Mekanik

toiletbrush posted:

IMHO making music, like a lot of things, is generally best when you don't really give a poo poo. The stuff I do when I'm just messing about for fifteen minutes in my lunch break or randomly trying something out and then spending 5 hours fiddling with it is ten times better than what I make when I earnestly sit down and try to 'compose'. Finishing stuff is different, and obviously different strokes for different folks, but at least in the ideas stage putting pressure on yourself to make something 'good' is often counter productive.

Along those lines, I just bought a guitar (I can't play, at all) and hooked it up to my modular with an expression pedal on CV duty, and it's the most fun I've had in ages. Really makes me wish I could actually play though.

I'm very much the same way. Some of my best work is stuff that I just shat out real quick. I tried to set up all my gear to get somethign where I could do "bigger" projects and I just ended up not doing anything.

That's why I do my "acid wednesday" vids, it's a fun way to play with different gear and just get something done even if it isn't perfect.

vids in quesiton:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLZ75L_7YH9ADn4Qp0JdrrPD-EBTjg_W-_

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
for sure... the "problem" I have is taking the random unplanned stuff I have (which sometimes is defo ok)

thats the "easy" bit. the part that I loving suck at is turning it into a "song"

:argh:

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

It hasn't got six strings, but it's a lot of fun.

echinopsis posted:

the part that I loving suck at is turning it into a "song"

I think that's an issue that literally every person has on earth to some degree or another, but I've found it's a skill that can be trained! Like, "starting stuff", "developing stuff", and "finishing stuff" are three entirely different skillsets with different anxieties.

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

echinopsis posted:

for sure... the "problem" I have is taking the random unplanned stuff I have (which sometimes is defo ok)

thats the "easy" bit. the part that I loving suck at is turning it into a "song"

:argh:
Yeah thats deffo tricky. But what is it you want from making music? Like, I gave up on the idea of ever making money from it or playing to crowds or whatever a decade ago, and pretty much no-one likes anything I make anyway, so I just make it for myself because *I* like it (dammit :cry:) and it's fun mucking about. Whether its a whole track or just a 2 bar loop that sounds rad doesn't matter anymore.

That said, one cheap trick for turning a loop into a song is to repeat the loop say 6 times, but for each repeat you only keep some of the tracks and rewrite all of the others, keeping/rewriting a different set for each repeat. So if you have a bass and a lead in a loop for example, repeat the bass with a new lead, then repeat that lead with a new bass, then repeat that bass with a new lead etc etc You can't always use the result directly as the actual song but it can give you new loops and a structure to build variations and choruses and whatnot around.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

the cool thing about music is you can always go back and make changes or edit things, so 'finish' something, put it out, then go back to it if you really want to, or do something else. i dont have deadlines and dont have to make stuff for anyone but myself

the choral i posted the other day started with me whistling the beginning flute part, then adding more instruments and a chord, then building it up, then going back down to a couple of sounds and being done with it. just adding and removing things and moving them around until i liked the sound of it. i save each 'version' as a new file so i can always go back to what i had before if i don't like what i just added, and then try something else

edit: and the chorus part didn't take the dynamics i put on them for some reason so i need to go back and fix that, maybe later

rewriting a super metroid song that's one of my favs cause why not

Woolwich Bagnet fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Sep 4, 2021

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

toiletbrush posted:

Yeah thats deffo tricky. But what is it you want from making music? Like, I gave up on the idea of ever making money from it or playing to crowds or whatever a decade ago, and pretty much no-one likes anything I make anyway, so I just make it for myself because *I* like it (dammit :cry:) and it's fun mucking about. Whether its a whole track or just a 2 bar loop that sounds rad doesn't matter anymore.

I'm going to be pissed off at myself if I don't continue to persue this, but I want to do some live busking like performances.

the idea behind each song is I start from an INIT patch and build up a song while building up the sounds themselves. but I'll work out a pathway for each song so it's not just made up on the spot. and so finishing a song to me will be getting parts of songs I lke and putting them together so it's actually decent to listen to.

my name? unforgivable waveforms

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
https://soundcloud.com/user-987488156/motife

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

nice, now keep the key and add some sick drums and backing to it and you got yourself a song

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i’ve got a novation circuit tracks coming and I am
excited about the prospects it may introduce

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

ended up getting a subscription to eastwest's composer cloud. they sound pretty drat good, and having access to everything for $300/yr is tough to beat. also bought a new laptop since my 8 year old air wasn't going to cut it when I don't feel like sitting at my desktop. got some dumb asus ~*gaming laptop*~, but it's 14", has a ryzen 9, and a battery that lasts longer than 2 hours. put a 4 tb ssd in it and upgraded the ram to 40 gb so that should last a decent while.

have 4 or 5 ideas sketched out now in piano, going to boston for a week so won't have a lot of time to make stuff, but should be good when I get back. also need to get a bigger desk as there's no real space for my controller I bought.

tl;dr :homebrew:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
idk what that is but if its a bargain for three hundy it must be good

I played my wee motif to my gf

then she was humming it... drat thats never happened before

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

echinopsis posted:

idk what that is but if its a bargain for three hundy it must be good

I played my wee motif to my gf

then she was humming it... drat thats never happened before

nice

it's just a huge library of high quality instruments. it'd be a few thousand to buy what i downloaded.

killhamster
Apr 15, 2004

SCAMMER
been working on a project with friends back in china and they're so slow it's maddening. i've mixed 5 songs for them & they're pretty much done but the back and forth takes forever, so i've been loving around and just making remixes of their poo poo for fun. upgraded my PC in the middle of it all and now it doesn't wheeze and die if i have a shitload of fx on a shitload of tracks so that's good. sooner or later i'll have something to show for it all

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Minnesota Mixup posted:

nice

it's just a huge library of high quality instruments. it'd be a few thousand to buy what i downloaded.

oh yeah that’s pretty fuckin cool

I got arturia analog lab 5 when i bought an arturia midi keybaord but the endless faders at the top don’t register immediately, you have you turn them almost get them to wake up and it’s maddening and put me off the whole thing. plus it’s mini keys which i didn’t think would piss me off but they do. gonna sell it.

but analog lab 5 is kinda cool. but i had played around with the full version pirates so losing the ability to fiddle with the synths themselves is a bummer

but i should be getting a novation circuit tracks and going dawless lol. wanky right?

i find it hard to describe why getting up off the pc makes a massive difference. probably due to just playing the instrument rather than laying down sequences etc. even when playing midi thru the pc i still never just played. whereas now i’m simply playing an instrument as practice and makes a massive difference to my enjoyment and progress

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

killhamster posted:

been working on a project with friends back in china and they're so slow it's maddening. i've mixed 5 songs for them & they're pretty much done but the back and forth takes forever, so i've been loving around and just making remixes of their poo poo for fun. upgraded my PC in the middle of it all and now it doesn't wheeze and die if i have a shitload of fx on a shitload of tracks so that's good. sooner or later i'll have something to show for it all

this kinda motivates me to see exactly how many fuckin reverbs and delays i can stack up in renoise now on the ryzen. i havent even thought about it

killhamster
Apr 15, 2004

SCAMMER

Jonny 290 posted:

this kinda motivates me to see exactly how many fuckin reverbs and delays i can stack up in renoise now on the ryzen. i havent even thought about it

delays are nothing but i have a shimmerverb that can take quite a bit of CPU even on my new ryzen. previously it was just unusable

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i remember back when i started i was on a pent 166 with a bigfoot drive. if i dropped sample rate to 32khz i could run eq on exactly four mono tracks in cubase without stutters. i learned the poo poo out of bouncing and pre-rendering when i was so bottlenecked back then

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

Jonny 290 posted:

Man, I need to open renoise again. It's so lightweight and optimised it's almost offensive.
I tend to use it piped into Cubase via rewire but it'd probably do my soul good just to mess around with it solo.

Having said that, I got a lovely 1st gen behringer digital delay and the equivalent reverb for £20 each and they have literally doubled my perceived value of my Microfreak. I know they're like, the worst free 2006 KVR vsts jammed into a crappy plastic case, but it's so much more inspirational than using say, Replika and Raum on my DAW channel.

killhamster
Apr 15, 2004

SCAMMER
might as well show off my really dumb project i've been doing for fun

https://soundcloud.com/killhamster/sets/the-nu-metal-remix-project

nu-metal is back and i love it

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

Jonny 290 posted:

i remember back when i started i was on a pent 166 with a bigfoot drive. if i dropped sample rate to 32khz i could run eq on exactly four mono tracks in cubase without stutters. i learned the poo poo out of bouncing and pre-rendering when i was so bottlenecked back then
Same but a 150mhz Mac clone. I could get away with a few tracks but basically had to bounce output from softsynths down. In some ways it was actually kinda cool because it forced me to commit to something rather than endlessly tweak and fiddle.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

toiletbrush posted:

endlessly tweak and fiddle.

im in this and I dont care for it at all

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

killhamster posted:

might as well show off my really dumb project i've been doing for fun

https://soundcloud.com/killhamster/sets/the-nu-metal-remix-project

nu-metal is back and i love it

is there a hybrid nu-metal and groove-metal

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

still trying to figure out exactly what programs i want to use long term

sibelius works pretty well but has poor midi integration when it comes to expression, dynamics, etc. dorico seems to have better integration but I haven't spent a ton of time with it yet. It also integrates better in to their DAW nuendo, but that poo poo is pretty pricey.

with sibelius i end up having to have a ton of hidden control text i put in to change articulations, dynamics, expression, etc. after a certain point it starts to really slow the program down even when they're hidden

all those grey smears are control text for the volume and whatnot

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

i recently got a yamaha qy100 groovebox, i have been having lots of fun trying it out as my babbys first hardware midi sequencer. really good for learning chords and arrangement stuff and the preset phrases are pretty nice too

https://soundcloud.com/trent-hawkins/202109090909a

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Penisface posted:

i recently got a yamaha qy100 groovebox, i have been having lots of fun trying it out as my babbys first hardware midi sequencer. really good for learning chords and arrangement stuff and the preset phrases are pretty nice too

https://soundcloud.com/trent-hawkins/202109090909a

very nice and chill

killhamster
Apr 15, 2004

SCAMMER

echinopsis posted:

is there a hybrid nu-metal and groove-metal

groove metal kind of begat nu metal so i'm sure there's some crossover

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

Minnesota Mixup posted:

very nice and chill

thanks glad you liked it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Machine Head is kinda groove/nu metal up til The Blackening when they became what everyone wants from Metallica.

Devildriver perhaps- Dez was in Coal Chamber who were Nu-est of the Nu.

I'd also say Chimaira's Resurrection album.

And Otep, when she isn't doing weird poems. Otep rule.