Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which lifepath will you take?
NOMAD (I like freedom)
STREET KID (I like the city)
CORPO (I like money)
I don't like labels
View Results

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

wafflemoose posted:

Eww...no more Steelport please, probably the worst open world city ever made.

Steelport with stuff to do wouldn't be so bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Steelport did feel like a step back from Stilwater, which felt much more like a city.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

DaysBefore posted:

Red Faction Armageddon was such an unbelievable gently caress up. All people want was more poo poo to blow up and more jerks to hammer, not whatever that was

What, you didn't want a game spanning romance subplot to end with them finally kissing, only for the love interest to get killed off 10 seconds later?

Also the fact that the entire plot could have been avoided if Mason just walked in and fixed the thing that blew up at the start, which you do at the very end of the game.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I loved the first red faction game but really all I did was dig tunnels. There are alot better newer games that I can dig a tunnel in now.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I just realized that they really missed the mark by not letting you dance in a dance club in this game in 3rd person. I came to this resolution watching this short 10 hour youtube clip of Vampire: The Masquerade Bloodlines of the most interactive city in an action role playing game ever, made in 2004 on a beta steam engine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lPagAuwOXY

Also it has killer music that blows cyberpunk's ost out of the water.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Red Faction Armageddon was a terrible Guerilla sequel but it was an amazing Spaceship Troopers game. Everybody who bought it and wanted to blow up poo poo was rightfully disappointed as hell but I went into it with zero expectations and when I realized that it's a bug-killing game I embraced that. It shouldn't have been a Red Faction game though, that's for sure.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Palpek posted:

Red Faction Armageddon was a terrible Guerilla sequel but it was an amazing Spaceship Troopers game. Everybody who bought it and wanted to blow up poo poo was rightfully disappointed as hell but I went into it with zero expectations and when I realized that it's a bug-killing game I embraced that. It shouldn't have been a Red Faction game though, that's for sure.

I am not gonna lie I got over myself pretty quickly and dove into the co-op with a friend and it was pretty satisfying for a while. But I didn't want any more meat and potatoes

*whips mouse at wall* Red Faction means something dammit

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

The only talking mouse in all of Britannia.
I really like the soundtrack, I'm just annoyed the radio's only on when I'm on a vehicle. I'm only on a vehicle a couple minutes, never enough for more than one song. There should be cyberware you can buy to play it anytime.

Who controls the media in Night City? Most of the talkshows are dumb fluff but some are directly critical of the cops or corporations, some of it to the point that I probably wouldn't hear in today's media. Are they kind of private, brash, yellow journalism outlets that just like to be critical/sensationalist? (I did like the newspaper shard that made a big deal of trace asbestos found in Militech cyberware.)

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Twobirds posted:

Who controls the media in Night City? Most of the talkshows are dumb fluff but some are directly critical of the cops or corporations, some of it to the point that I probably wouldn't hear in today's media. Are they kind of private, brash, yellow journalism outlets that just like to be critical/sensationalist? (I did like the newspaper shard that made a big deal of trace asbestos found in Militech cyberware.)

If it's critical towards a corporation it's probably being funded by a competing corporation. The NCPD is also privately owned.

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

itry posted:

If it's critical towards a corporation it's probably being funded by a competing corporation. The NCPD is also privately owned.

I think it's mostly news 54 in the game, but yes - there are several competing media outlets in Night City, and each one is its own corporation. They are a kind of hyper-media version of modern day news - each one tends towards a specific style of spin on the news, with favored scape goats and tend to cover stories that make particular corporations look good/bad.

It's pretty heavily influenced by the muckraker era of American Journalism, which was pretty wild.

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

The only talking mouse in all of Britannia.
One news piece I was thinking of was critical of corps in general, and was pushing for higher taxes. Though it was part of a debate and the pro-corpo guy was obviously kind of slimy. If it was propaganda it wasn't very good propaganda.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
In Red a media or rockerboy have a whole thing where the point is to actively dangerously criticize the current order, or kind of sneak in counternarratives, or to just be a repulsive sellout

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

SniperWoreConverse posted:

In Red a media or rockerboy have a whole thing where the point is to actively dangerously criticize the current order, or kind of sneak in counternarratives, or to just be a repulsive sellout

its depends on the individual player.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Yeah you go through your life path and either roll or pick what your goals are and how ethical you are and what it actually is that you produce, but the basic descriptions assume your risking your neck for some purpose that isn't just money

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006

Twobirds posted:

One news piece I was thinking of was critical of corps in general, and was pushing for higher taxes. Though it was part of a debate and the pro-corpo guy was obviously kind of slimy. If it was propaganda it wasn't very good propaganda.

that's the same guy who shoots a book full of regulations to prove he's tough. there's a whole sidequest about him

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.
The two competing news stations in Night City more or less align to political parties, which in turn are backed by different megacorps, for which we used Arasaka and Militech. (The other big corps might have their own preferences but it would be too much to try and cram all that in)

The two major parties in NC politics are the Devolutionists, who favor retaining NC as a free city, more or less aligned with NorCal and the other (former) free states. This party is backed behind the scenes by Arasaka. Their biggest advocate in local politics was Lucius Rhyne, but after his unexpected death he's replaced by Weldon Holt, who is *extremely* unsuited for the job due to his widespread unpopularity. Rhyne had basically become a gangster, but people still loved him for what he did during the Unification War and during the red decades (he's in Cyberpunk RED if you didn't see it!), and since then he always made sure that his constituents got what they needed and the corps supported him because he was reliably corrupt. Holt was more or less just a gangster, had a gross personal affect, and the corps didn't really trust him.

On the other hand you have the Federalists, who think that NC should seek better relations with the NUSA and try to get SoCal to loosen the border. They typically haven't been a force in local politics (you will notice that there are very few NUSA flags in Night City outside of 6th Street territory) but Jefferson Peralez, city councilman and former DA, has built a really solid base of support by putting populist policies ahead of any sort of foreign policy goals. His stated goals are to close some loopholes in the city tax code and to reduce the number of council seats that are corporate owned (the city charter sets asides many seats in the council for corporations). A lot of people think it's all just talk and against Rhyne he'd surely lose the election, but with Holt stepping in...

N54 and WNS are actually big megacorps who own or franchise local stations, so the stuff you see in NC is made in NC. Global media is something we wanted to minimize. In short, the media content isn't pure propaganda, but they definitely have their viewpoints, preferred scapegoats, and political agendas.

Comte de Saint-Germain fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Sep 2, 2021

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Is there a mod to fix the terrible athletics xp situation in the game that doesn't also introduce weird stamina changes?

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

The two competing news stations in Night City more or less align to political parties, which in turn are backed by different megacorps, for which we used Arasaka and Militech. (The other big corps might have their own preferences but it would be too much to try and cram all that in)

The two major parties in NC politics are the Devolutionists, who favor retaining NC as a free city, more or less aligned with NorCal and the other (former) free states. This party is backed behind the scenes by Arasaka. Their biggest advocate in local politics was Lucius Rhyne, but after his unexpected death he's replaced by Weldon Holt, who is *extremely* unsuited for the job due to his widespread unpopularity. Rhyne had basically become a gangster, but people still loved him for what he did during the Unification War and during the red decades (he's in Cyberpunk RED if you didn't see it!), and since then he always made sure that his constituents got what they needed and the corps supported him because he was reliably corrupt. Holt was more or less just a gangster, had a gross personal affect, and the corps didn't really trust him.

On the other hand you have the Federalists, who think that NC should seek better relations with the NUSA and try to get SoCal to loosen the border. They typically haven't been a force in local politics (you will notice that there are very few NUSA flags in Night City outside of 6th Street territory) but Jefferson Peralez, city councilman and former DA, has built a really solid base of support by putting populist policies ahead of any sort of foreign policy goals. His stated goals are to close some loopholes in the city tax code and to reduce the number of council seats that are corporate owned (the city charter sets asides many seats in the council for corporations). A lot of people think it's all just talk and against Rhyne he'd surely lose the election, but with Holt stepping in...

N54 and WNS are actually big megacorps who own or franchise local stations, so the stuff you see in NC is made in NC. Global media is something we wanted to minimize. In short, the media content isn't pure propaganda, but they definitely have their viewpoints, preferred scapegoats, and political agendas.

Man, I hope we get some cool story DLC and a sequel because there is still so much content to mine...

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
After another 24 months and tens of thousands of work hours we'll get a recolored shotgun, a leather jacket with a slightly different logo and *drumroll* a cyber hairdresser.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Is there a working 3rd person mod? All these goofy outfits and I can't actually see them as I frantically sword-arm my way through nerds

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

DaysBefore posted:

Is there a working 3rd person mod? All these goofy outfits and I can't actually see them as I frantically sword-arm my way through nerds

There's a few but the player character animations are pretty janky (as one would expect if you were never meant to see them).

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Rhyne is in:

quote:

Lucius Rhyne (Rockerboy): A community organizer in the newly forming Watson Development, Lucius is a rare idealist working to make the world a better place. He is well-known for his inspiring speeches and calls to action.
Interesting that he became "he's a corrupt bastard but he's our bastard." Wonder what happened. 1 second of listening to the news on the elevator should tell you he ended up assassinated.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Cyberpunk 2077 - it would be too much to try and cram all that in

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
They should have jallied or whatever that face. gently caress me that looks awful

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
look pal it's 50 years in the future if you wanna replace your eyebrows with holograms it's nbd

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

loving lol. Tell you the truth that's prob not a bug.

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

https://www.reddit.com/r/CyberpunkDatamine/comments/phj26o/the_lost_epilogue_of_cyberpunk_2077/

Always think these posts are neat. Wonder what this ending/epilogue actually played out like.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

A solid summary of the game's history up until the current situation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mujp-ChhUDk

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Palpek posted:

A solid summary of the game's history up until the current situation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mujp-ChhUDk

For a guy who makes videos about CP twice a week, you'd think he'd have figured out how to say polish names by now.

he's gotten better, at least edit: a little

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

For a guy who makes videos about CP twice a week, you'd think he'd have figured out how to say polish names by now.

he's gotten better, at least edit: a little

I did a triple take at that acronym.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Alchenar posted:

I did a triple take at that acronym.

telling on yourself

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Is there literally any other game currently being played that still has weekly YouTube surges about its status while the actual game goes months without a blip? Like, who is still invested in 2077 enough almost a year later to still want to watch videos like that but isn’t already 100% up to date on where the game is?

It just seems like an Ouroboros of talking about the game begetting disappointment which creates a new wave of people making videos about how they’re still disappointed a year later.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Literally the only time I think about this game is when I check this thread every few weeks to see if anything has changed so I can bother to finish it

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012

Bust Rodd posted:

Is there literally any other game currently being played that still has weekly YouTube surges about its status while the actual game goes months without a blip? Like, who is still invested in 2077 enough almost a year later to still want to watch videos like that but isn’t already 100% up to date on where the game is?

It just seems like an Ouroboros of talking about the game begetting disappointment which creates a new wave of people making videos about how they’re still disappointed a year later.

I think people were sold on a vision, and some aspects of the game like the world building are good enough to still have hope.

Honestly, there is still hope now that CDPR hired modders and seem to be pushing in a modding direction. If they can bring the equivalent of the Bethesda Creation Kit to the game, then it will actually possible for people to fill the game with things that the developers probably wanted to implement but didn't have time or cut from the game. They can still mismanage the modders though and have them waste tons of time supporting old consoles, so I wouldn't be surprised if the management hosed this up too as they did with a lot of the management decisions that led to the game being rushed in the first place.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Sure that guy sucks for talking about CP77, he should just forget about its existence like everybody else lol.

Anyway, I like watching a relatively short video like that from time to time exactly because I'm not going to read different articles, chase down dev streams and read subreddit posts. Not twice a week but if that kind of schedule is what it takes for this kind of content to get regualarly produced when I remember about the game next time then I have no weird self-owns for the one dude who's making them. It wouldn't be needed if CDPR communicated with the public officially instead of letting their devs only talk about the game during obscure live streams but it is what it is.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Palpek posted:

Anyway, I like watching a relatively short video like that from time to time exactly because I'm not going to read different articles, chase down dev streams and read subreddit posts.

literally all of that ends up in this thread. the gross reddit goons will always bring the good stuff back to the goon hive, that's what we bred them to do. I have never had to hunt for anything, it all ends up in here.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Literally reddits layout and format is the worst poo poo ever. The entire concept of upvotes mean i trust the community to filter the content for me, which to this day has never been correct. Slashdot at least tried post organization instead of randomly blocking and revealing posts.

Basically, communities are poo poo for determining what I actually care and want to see.

Twitter is another good example of a terrible idea meant to give infinity content that fails miserably on me.

My algorithm is so hosed my suggested posts there are 5.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Bust Rodd posted:

Everyone loves a bit of Discourse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Bust Rodd posted:

literally all of that ends up in this thread. the gross reddit goons will always bring the good stuff back to the goon hive, that's what we bred them to do. I have never had to hunt for anything, it all ends up in here.

the judgmental language here mixed with the goon stuff is cringe. You got weird about people posting video essays way before too. You don't have to watch them homie, you don't have to click those links