Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N
Also, it is the description text or the effect itself that's the bug here? I would expect that "Forder" would only really affect crossing rivers, but they go out of their way in the text to include "when disembarking from ships" while the advantage penalty is definitely very much still there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
So uh, Star Dynasties just got recommended to me and I'm tiddling with the demo of it right now.

It's Crusader kings. In space. Like blatantly, unashamedly so. Anyone owned/played it?

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Just chiming in to say I made a war with Hästeinn work - when using Varangian adventure against Mercia, I suddenly had several thousand more troops than usual and pwned the anglos without too much trouble. Now to fix ailing control in 8 counties and having a clump of feudal buildings around I can't use.. What do do?

E: poo poo, I still got a lot to learn. Immediate holy war tore my poo poo to pieces even though I spent Hästeinns considerable means on mercenaries.

Tias fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Sep 5, 2021

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Holy gently caress this game makes me want to poke my eyes out sometimes. I just played a game where I got on the back foot in a war against a neighbour and just ended up in constant Liberty and Independence wars for the best part of like 50 years as a result. My kingdom just shrinking and shrinking as I lost more and everyone gang-piled me.

I feel like I'm playing loving whack-a-mole just chasing units around the map, very frustrating. Not sure whether I should just throw in the towel or not.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop
Unless you have a very specific reason for keeping crown authority high, just accept their demands and lower it instead of getting into another war.

And sometimes you'll have to white peace or even surrender to end a war when you're too busy dealing with another 2. The latest patch specifically make factions easier to trigger when you're already dealing with others.

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~

FreudianSlippers posted:

How scary are the Mongols in CK3?

Just got back to my Islamic Russia/Scandinavia/Khazaria game after a long break and while I was busy conquering Hungary and Bohemia for fun the Great Khan was inching ever closer and is now on my eastern borders.

I tried to befriend him but it failed and my coward of a king won't seduce him just because "He's not attracted to men" and "homosexually is forbidden".

I have more troops then them but if horse archers are anything as scary as they were in CK2, or in real life, that might not be a deciding factor when they decide to invade.

I posted a while back about getting ruined by the Mongols while playing as Siberia. Ultimately it comes down to if Genghis is still alive and how many wars they're currently fighting. If the answer is yes and none, you're in deep poo poo if they come for you (though they will slow walk their armies from the far eastern edge of the map, probably, so you would have a year or so to prepare). If the answer is no and more than 1, you're probably fine and they'll fall into civil war before getting to you.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

PancakeTransmission posted:

Unless you have a very specific reason for keeping crown authority high, just accept their demands and lower it instead of getting into another war.

And sometimes you'll have to white peace or even surrender to end a war when you're too busy dealing with another 2. The latest patch specifically make factions easier to trigger when you're already dealing with others.

I realised later that it’s kind of my fault as I had forgotten to get my steward to convert culture so French populists were constantly triggering along with the usual Liberty factions.

It’s just annoying as when I started that first war against the neighbour I didn’t have any active factions so things seemed fine.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Getting back into the game; If I wanted to try out these Norse adventures stuff, someone a few pages ago suggested Harestien; ok sure, he starts in a lovely nothing-land but has a big army, so do I go conquering neighbors, or pop a Varangian adventure to relocate somewhere greener? I get no bonus troops since I/he is out of Scandinavia so it's wasteful, but if I don't take it now anything I conquer will be lost if I ever adventure later, sooo? Do I just eat a neighbor then go raiding?

I'm not sure if I "get" the idea of being a Viking (as compared to just painting the map in conquest).

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

You can invade kingdom on Wessex on day 1, take that, then conquer duchy to get Mercia. You should be able (or very close to able) to form England at this point.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

The big things for Haesteinn are that he (a) has enough prestige to immediately declare a kingdom invasion on anyone within diplo range, and (b) has enough health to live to 100 if you swap to the medicine focus late in life. You can do a Varangian adventure with him if you want, but unless you've taken the dynasty perk for bonus troops it is just a very expensive duchy conquest.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Ok, so paint-the-map. When does raiding happen? Between wars? Basically I'd like something different than Munster all over again.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Serephina posted:

Getting back into the game; If I wanted to try out these Norse adventures stuff, someone a few pages ago suggested Harestien; ok sure, he starts in a lovely nothing-land but has a big army, so do I go conquering neighbors, or pop a Varangian adventure to relocate somewhere greener? I get no bonus troops since I/he is out of Scandinavia so it's wasteful, but if I don't take it now anything I conquer will be lost if I ever adventure later, sooo? Do I just eat a neighbor then go raiding?

I'm not sure if I "get" the idea of being a Viking (as compared to just painting the map in conquest).

You generally doesn't want to stay where you are, you're surrounded by Karlings and they'll help each other crush you if you come at them. So pick somewhere interesting on the map and go be a Viking there.

Raiding happens whenever you aren't at war.

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
Priscillianist Andalusia and Coptic Egypt is two fun Haesteinn runs I've done.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Doing a jarl of Småland run, and I gotta say Bjørn and his sons are loving annoying. I'm playing on easy and can barely snuff out Sjælland to expand, while whoever's running Sweden is heir to the thrones of Sweden, Norway and Finland, and even when I murder them, no partition happens. Am I doing something wrong?

Tias
May 25, 2008

E: Dåbbelt indlæg

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

PittTheElder posted:

You generally doesn't want to stay where you are, you're surrounded by Karlings and they'll help each other crush you if you come at them. So pick somewhere interesting on the map and go be a Viking there.

Raiding happens whenever you aren't at war.

Would have been good to know this before I did my start (see above!)!

Is there anywhere that I can compare perks of different cultures? In my (probably doomed) Haesteinn run I've had the chance to covert to Norman and now Swedish but I have no idea if those are good ideas or not.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Chin Strap posted:

Has there been any discussion of if the console versions mean we will get proper controller support on PC version too?

Let's hope so, but Stellaris got a console port and no controller support on PC. :(

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Red_Fred posted:

Is there anywhere that I can compare perks of different cultures? In my (probably doomed) Haesteinn run I've had the chance to covert to Norman and now Swedish but I have no idea if those are good ideas or not.

Cultures don't have particular bonuses beyond the Innovations they possess. What innovations they have (and qualify for) can be seen by clicking on that culture on the map from the culture map mode. I think you can click into it off characters of that culture as well.

For cultures that may not exist yet like Norman, you just have go with what the decision text tells you.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Red_Fred posted:

Would have been good to know this before I did my start (see above!)!

The problem, to me, seems that most places aren't too forgiving of us being heathens. Culture can change, that's the viking way, but I'd like to be able to keep raiding :black101:

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Trying to rush Scandinavian empire as Bjorn. It's tricky but im getting a lot of free vassals so I'm focusing on getting a solid foothold to make each other kingdoms. Somehow I'm also accidentally making Ireland

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

very fun save going on

so, perhaps inspired by Kassandra from AO: Odyssey, I made a custom dynasty from Cephalonia. After I got the duchy (I started as countess), I figured that going for Sicily would be a better idea (and a much better stronghold) than making a foothold into the Byzantine thunderdome. Robert had rolled in Sicily and there wasn't much to poach there :( but then I learned that Cagliari has mines.

Fortunately, it was all broken up. The previous ruler died leaving his two failsons as counts who hated each other so it was pretty easy to nab Argentierra and build an economic powerhouse from there. Meanwhile, having only two rocks in the coast of Greece, I focused only on archers and used my levies to buffer them from the enemy. They are really loving effective, especially when I managed to maneuver battles into favorable terrain. Palermo rebelled and went independent and promptly managed to nab that one, and afterwards it was Cephalonia-Apulia Sicilian Playoffs time. After I got Messina and Syracusa, Capua went for a bite and Benevento rebelled, then this emir out of loving nowhere comes to take Reggio Calabria.

now I am thinking where to go: get a firm foothold in Italy proper by securing Napoli and Salerno (because of extremely good farmland terrain, to stack), or maybe going back to Greece for Epirus. Ideally I want to make some mad fat stacks of cash to field cataphracts and maybe then go for basileus

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Still on my first play through, so I am struggling with a couple of things.

1- Started as the Byzantine empire, reformed the roman empire. Started getting vassal limit messages, but the only members of court I could transfer vassals to were the pope and the patriarchy. So I did that frequently. It wasn't until later that I realized that the problem was that I was hogging too many kingdom titles. Started giving away kingdom titles to my dynasty, and so now I can transfer vassals to them instead. Except that now the pope and the patriarchy are super powerful. And because they don't have kids its not as if their domains will splinter up through the generations. Any way to get back some of those vassals without incurring a tyranny penalty?

2- My empire encompasses the entire mediterranean. It's huge. But the troops I raise are generally just poo poo. Most of the guides I've seen are for small kingdoms and stuff like improving your men at arms. Is there a way to make it so that my 50k person army isn't just a bunch of scrubs getting owned by much smaller forces?

Softface
Feb 16, 2011

Some things can't be unseen

joepinetree posted:

2- My empire encompasses the entire mediterranean. It's huge. But the troops I raise are generally just poo poo. Most of the guides I've seen are for small kingdoms and stuff like improving your men at arms. Is there a way to make it so that my 50k person army isn't just a bunch of scrubs getting owned by much smaller forces?

I found that when you have an absolute gently caress-off huge army it's a good idea to only raise men at arms for most wars. It gets your army in the field faster, and if you've stacked building bonuses for them they can demolish levies.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

joepinetree posted:

1- Started as the Byzantine empire, reformed the roman empire. Started getting vassal limit messages, but the only members of court I could transfer vassals to were the pope and the patriarchy. So I did that frequently. It wasn't until later that I realized that the problem was that I was hogging too many kingdom titles. Started giving away kingdom titles to my dynasty, and so now I can transfer vassals to them instead. Except that now the pope and the patriarchy are super powerful. And because they don't have kids its not as if their domains will splinter up through the generations. Any way to get back some of those vassals without incurring a tyranny penalty?

I dont think theres any way to improve your levies: they really are poo poo. They are cannon fodder

You improve your MaAs. If they are strong enough, you wont even need to use your levies most of the time (or even 100% of the time). But even if you still need the levies, your MaA should make sure you dont get beaten by smaller forces

Antlerhill
Nov 6, 2012

Smellrose
Another tip for physicians which I didn't see mentioned:

Put your marshal on training. Your knights will get wounded sometimes, which will let your physician practice on them.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

PittTheElder posted:

Cultures don't have particular bonuses beyond the Innovations they possess. What innovations they have (and qualify for) can be seen by clicking on that culture on the map from the culture map mode. I think you can click into it off characters of that culture as well.

For cultures that may not exist yet like Norman, you just have go with what the decision text tells you.

Ah good to know!

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Bad news everyone.

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2021-09-06-employee-survey-at-paradox-interactive-alleges-gender-discrimination-and-mistreatment

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
Started a Transylvanian witch cult but got done in because I started under a Khanate, expanded to have 3 duchies and 12 counties, but kept getting bullied in holy wars I couldn't participate in because they were against the khan's religion and not mine. Eventually saw I was bigger than than Khan so I went for independence, he white peaced his holy wars and fought me off, then Bulgaria and Hungary declared holy wars on him and... Immediately rushed in to beat up my army and siege my capital. Then he declared victory in my independence war and stripped me of everything. My family had all started murdering each other at some point also so I was gonna be down to an 8 year old heir with no claims when my guy died in prison. Figure that's a wrap.

I guess in my next game I need to 1) focus more on actually developing some holdings, 2) not start under a Khanate. Maybe if I start in the earlier year instead of 1066?

It's really annoying that tribal is limited to confederate partition but I think it would be better without a liege, especially not one hostile to my culture.

Anyhow, enjoyed making a witch coven so I'm just gonna do that again while maybe trying to find better circumstances for the start. I should probably play at the Duke level to start instead of the Count too, would cut down on Khan fuckery.

Edit: reading up it looks like I should probably improve men at arms too. I was like 2 generations in when I figured out you did that with buildings in holdings but I only ever had enough cash on hand to do that when I went raiding or waited 20 years so I guess I need to figure out some economy too.

I have the intrigue game down tho!!!

Edit 2: would really like to do some high level Catholic fuckery but also, witch cults. Maybe Italy........

Paramemetic fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Sep 7, 2021

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

well, poo poo. not exactly out of nowhere given other previous problems and complaints

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Might be worth pointing out that that's the publisher, not the developers.

At least from what someone posted in the other thread.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

New developer diary - Holding Court at Court in The Royal Court (in a courtly fashion)

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Looks great. Actually being inside the court room instead of just getting events is better than I expected.

Also lmao at the guy in the pdx forum post going "if dlc havers can sometimes vassalize someone because they ask you to the power balance is shifted too much and people without dlc will need something" because asking to vassalize someone is a thing that comes up so often and matters so much. It's like reading youtube comments. I'm an idiot for doing either.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Paramemetic posted:

Started a Transylvanian witch cult but got done in because I started under a Khanate, expanded to have 3 duchies and 12 counties, but kept getting bullied in holy wars I couldn't participate in because they were against the khan's religion and not mine. Eventually saw I was bigger than than Khan so I went for independence, he white peaced his holy wars and fought me off, then Bulgaria and Hungary declared holy wars on him and... Immediately rushed in to beat up my army and siege my capital. Then he declared victory in my independence war and stripped me of everything. My family had all started murdering each other at some point also so I was gonna be down to an 8 year old heir with no claims when my guy died in prison. Figure that's a wrap.

I guess in my next game I need to 1) focus more on actually developing some holdings, 2) not start under a Khanate. Maybe if I start in the earlier year instead of 1066?

It's really annoying that tribal is limited to confederate partition but I think it would be better without a liege, especially not one hostile to my culture.

Anyhow, enjoyed making a witch coven so I'm just gonna do that again while maybe trying to find better circumstances for the start. I should probably play at the Duke level to start instead of the Count too, would cut down on Khan fuckery.

Edit: reading up it looks like I should probably improve men at arms too. I was like 2 generations in when I figured out you did that with buildings in holdings but I only ever had enough cash on hand to do that when I went raiding or waited 20 years so I guess I need to figure out some economy too.

I have the intrigue game down tho!!!

Edit 2: would really like to do some high level Catholic fuckery but also, witch cults. Maybe Italy........

Before you spend money improving MaA with buildings make sure you've got the MaA Regiments you want and that they're at the max size (that you can afford) for your era. Buildings make for nice buffs but if you don't have the numbers in the first place it can only help so much.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

M_Gargantua posted:

Before you spend money improving MaA with buildings make sure you've got the MaA Regiments you want and that they're at the max size (that you can afford) for your era. Buildings make for nice buffs but if you don't have the numbers in the first place it can only help so much.

I don't think I realized you can increase the MaA sizes? Before I got clowned I was sitting at 5/5 MaAs but they were all 100/100 mans.

I won't be home until later to look at the menu but lol UI. Is it an option in there somewhere?

Paramemetic fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Sep 7, 2021

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Paramemetic posted:

I don't think I realized you can increase the MaA sizes? Before I got clowned I was sitting at 5/5 MaAs but they were all 100/100 mans.

I won't be home until later to look at the menu but lol UI. Is it an option in there somewhere?

Click on the picture of each regiment in the military screen, and you can increase the size there.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Each of the MaA regiment has a size. Eg most are 100 units x Size per stack, heavy cavalry is 50 x Size per stack, and seige weapons are 10 x Size per stack. In each era there is a tech that unlocks having more per regiment, being early game 5/5 is the max for each of them. So early game there is the Mustering Grounds innovation that gives you +2 to the max size of a regiment and +1 to the number of regiments you can have. If you click on the regiment in your military screen you can change the size

So earliest game you can have 2-5 regiments (baseline depending on rank, Count is 2, Duke is 3, King is 4, and Emperor is 5) of Size 3 MaA

Mustering grounds bumps that up +1 and to size 5

Early Medieval Household soldiers gives you another Regiment up to size 8

High Medieval Men-at-arms is another +1 and up to size 12

Late Medieval Standing armies is yet another +1 to max regiments and up to size 17

The final teir of the Warfare Dynasty Legacy will give you yet another +1 to max regiments.

So at the pinnacle of military achievement you can theoretically support 10 Regiments of Size 17, which would be 17,000 infantry/light calvary if you only used the 100/per types.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

joepinetree posted:

1. Not really, but Tyranny is a currency and you should expect to accrue some of it at any given time. Plus if they decline and revolt you can strip extra titles off them if you can defeat them.

2. Cataphracts. Cataphracts. Cataphracts.

levies are poo poo and don't get better. fighting wars with MaA only is what you want to do, with the main impediment being expense, but as the Roman Emperor that shouldn't be a problem

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Sep 7, 2021

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib
Is the conventional wisdom to start fabricating claims and aggressively expanding right away or is there some merit to building up one's own holdings for a generation or two while making tactical marriages and so on? I've seen conflicting info on this. I ran into a problem where I couldn't afford to do expansion while also doing wars but a lot of this is probably to do with my relying on unupgraded armies and just kinda flailing about because it was my first go.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Paramemetic posted:

Is the conventional wisdom to start fabricating claims and aggressively expanding right away or is there some merit to building up one's own holdings for a generation or two while making tactical marriages and so on? I've seen conflicting info on this. I ran into a problem where I couldn't afford to do expansion while also doing wars but a lot of this is probably to do with my relying on unupgraded armies and just kinda flailing about because it was my first go.

My strategy is to aggressively expand fabricating claims while making tactical marriages too. And leave building up for when money starts to not being a problem. At the beginning, most my money will be used to build MaA, gift vassals to keep them happy and occasionally hire mercs

In any case, that early expansion through fabricating claims is very important, in my experience, as it will quickly bring you money and levies, that you can use to expand over bigger neightbours and also to defend yourself from the ones that might want to expand over you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

Elias_Maluco posted:

My strategy is to aggressively expand fabricating claims while making tactical marriages too. And leave building up for when money starts to not being a problem. At the beginning, most my money will be used to build MaA, gift vassals to keep them happy and occasionally hire mercs

In any case, that early expansion through fabricating claims is very important, in my experience, as it will quickly bring you money and levies, that you can use to expand over bigger neightbours and also to defend yourself from the ones that might want to expand over you

Okay cool, that's how I'd done it, I just spent money on building up holdings instead of on MaA because I didn't realize that was a thing, and so lost some very unfortunate battles. Maybe I'll try again in Transylvania and just try to get out from under the Khan earlier with a better army. Or maybe I'll start in the 800s and see if the Khan even exists then.