Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
oh now they're not in an endless void.

Also who writes "....whoa." down. Should have ended on "how big can a lake be" and like a zoomed out shot of them being tiny against a huge body of water stretching to the horizon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Bismuth posted:

yeah, you know what? Im going to say it

Im proud of buckley

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
As a Nintendo Switch owner I remember seeing the murder of George Floyd and thinking "there but for the grace of Iwata go I."

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
It's so exhausting knowing full well Mookie has nothing interesting planned for this journey.

YF-23 posted:

Did you upload the same image twice for the first and fifth picture, or was it re-used as-is in the comic itself? I know the answer deep in my heart but I want to make certain.

You know what? I don't know :psyduck: I have two screenshots but they're exactly the same besides size, which means nothing in this context.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I don't even remember where they are going or why. Did any of them remember what book they are supposedly looking for?

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I don't even remember where they are going or why. Did any of them remember what book they are supposedly looking for?

Arudak wants to see a Chandak. Why he wants to see a Chandak and how this relates to the plot were not established, really makes the long meandering journey worth it knowing there's no payoff.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
I thought the Lucid Dreaming book was supposed to be at the orc library??

Mutant Headcrab
May 14, 2007

Happy Landfill posted:

I think Mookie said it wasn't there in a tweet.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
lmao he forgot his own plot and can't even be bothered to fix it in comic

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Where are they going?

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
Olive Garden

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Happy Landfill posted:

Nope. The entire "library card" arc is, strip by strip:
  • Snout wakes up, with a sultry gaze Arudak hands him a copy of The Dream Realm of Asinotaph
  • Ink witch hugs Snout, and with a sultry gaze hands him a flier for the Aktu Hold Library
  • Corpsemom hugs Snout, Arudak squints mournfully at a framed 8x10 glossy photo of his dead ex
  • Snout writes in his journal that he's going to the library, even though "They may not have Deegan's 'Beginner's Guide to Lucid Dreaming'"
  • The ink ship poots Snout, Ink Witch, Corpsemom, and Arudak onto the ground near Aktu Hold
  • They walk down a street in Aktu Hold
  • Snout gapes at passers-by in the market
  • Snout looks at the library from outside, then looks at the library from inside
  • Snout receives a note from Veth saying he's running late, Snout wags his tail
  • Snout reads a book about Aktu Hold
  • Veth arrives, and with a sultry gaze hands him a copy of Heart Land: poems of Maltak. Snout reads a poem
  • Snout finds a note from Veth between the pages, telling him to read the poem on page 27. Snout does
  • Snout shows the book to the librarian. She gives him more books
  • Snout reads a book. Shows it to the librarian. She hands him a wait list. Snout shows his library card from the Wild Edge Library
  • Inset explaining that library cards from the Wild Edge Library are special and with one you don't have to use the wait list. Librarian gives Snout a copy of Lost Visions of the Seers by Preno Fallin
  • Snout reads it
  • Snout continues to read it
  • Librarian returns with a sign saying "TIME'S UP". Snout hugs the librarian. Snout hugs Veth. Makes note in diary that he likes hugging
  • Snout summarizes his findings so far, which are precisely the same as last time he summarized them, before the visit to the library
  • Ink witch waves. Corpsemom shows Snout a book. Veth shakes Snout's hand and hands Snout a note telling him how kind he (Snout) is
  • Everyone walks to a house, eats lumps, goes to bed
  • Corpsemom hands Snout a book of names
  • Snout goes to sleep, a spiral forms over the bed
  • Snout dreams about a spiral
  • Filler strip announcing a Summer break
  • Snout dreams about a different spiral
  • Snout dreams about a third spiral and also a cube
  • Snout wakes up, summarises his dream
  • Corpsemom points to "Kaianda" in the book of names. Snout wags his tail
  • Corpsemom Kaianda smiles. Ink Witch Smiles. Arudak rolls his eyes
  • Arudak and Snout go to the skate park
  • Arudak mournfully points out the name Kazya Ra on the skate park wall
  • Arudak writes in Snout's journal that Kazya died fighting something called the Seku Muat
  • Arudak cries. Arudak and Snout hug
That's literally every strip in the arc.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

It's taken longer for Legacy to get to its point than it's taken the American empire to collapse under the weight of COVID.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
I'm going to attempt to bold the pieces that are actually (or maybe) plot relevant/new info/scene change and see how little I have to bold.

SubG posted:

Nope. The entire "library card" arc is, strip by strip:
  • Snout wakes up, with a sultry gaze Arudak hands him a copy of The Dream Realm of Asinotaph
  • Ink witch hugs Snout, and with a sultry gaze hands him a flier for the Aktu Hold Library
  • Corpsemom hugs Snout, Arudak squints mournfully at a framed 8x10 glossy photo of his dead ex
  • Snout writes in his journal that he's going to the library, even though "They may not have Deegan's 'Beginner's Guide to Lucid Dreaming'"
  • The ink ship poots Snout, Ink Witch, Corpsemom, and Arudak onto the ground near Aktu Hold
  • They walk down a street in Aktu Hold
  • Snout gapes at passers-by in the market
  • Snout looks at the library from outside, then looks at the library from inside
  • Snout receives a note from Veth saying he's running late, Snout wags his tail
  • Snout reads a book about Aktu Hold
  • Veth arrives, and with a sultry gaze hands him a copy of Heart Land: poems of Maltak. Snout reads a poem
  • Snout finds a note from Veth between the pages, telling him to read the poem on page 27. Snout does
  • Snout shows the book to the librarian. She gives him more books
  • Snout reads a book. Shows it to the librarian. She hands him a wait list. Snout shows his library card from the Wild Edge Library
  • Inset explaining that library cards from the Wild Edge Library are special and with one you don't have to use the wait list. Librarian gives Snout a copy of Lost Visions of the Seers by Preno Fallin
  • Snout reads it
  • Snout continues to read it
  • Librarian returns with a sign saying "TIME'S UP". Snout hugs the librarian. Snout hugs Veth. Makes note in diary that he likes hugging
  • Snout summarizes his findings so far, which are precisely the same as last time he summarized them, before the visit to the library
  • Ink witch waves. Corpsemom shows Snout a book. Veth shakes Snout's hand and hands Snout a note telling him how kind he (Snout) is
  • Everyone walks to a house, eats lumps, goes to bed
  • Corpsemom hands Snout a book of names
  • Snout goes to sleep, a spiral forms over the bed
  • Snout dreams about a spiral
  • Filler strip announcing a Summer break
  • Snout dreams about a different spiral
  • Snout dreams about a third spiral and also a cube
  • Snout wakes up, summarises his dream
  • Corpsemom points to "Kaianda" in the book of names. Snout wags his tail
  • Corpsemom Kaianda smiles. Ink Witch Smiles. Arudak rolls his eyes
  • Arudak and Snout go to the skate park
  • Arudak mournfully points out the name Kazya Ra on the skate park wall
  • Arudak writes in Snout's journal that Kazya died fighting something called the Seku Muat
  • Arudak cries. Arudak and Snout hug
That's literally every strip in the arc.

I wonder if you could do a remix of this that cut out all the lustful gazes, repetition, poo poo that goes nowhere, and awkward hugging and come up with a 3 page comic that summarized everything that happened in this chapter

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I'm still really confused about what's supposed to be impressive in that final panel.

That's a lovely comic but it's not like Mookie is any better at anything that involves race so Buckley still comes out ahead.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

It's incredible how your angle of perspective can so significantly change things. That Buckley comic is objectively tone-deaf and offensive, and yet juxtaposed with Deegan's not-so-casual ableism, horrible racial sterotyping and overall weirdness about nudity it's almost quaint to just see a white guy make a really poo poo "cultural appropriation" joke.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Thought that was a desert at first before I read the text.

Remember all the wild fantasy poo poo he saw while wandering around? But the thing that makes him go "woah" is a really big lake.

Also reminder that this is what he's writing in his diary. This is the second time he's done this.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

TheHan posted:

It's so exhausting knowing full well Mookie has nothing interesting planned for this journey.
He barely has anything planned at all. He'd need more plans to have anything interesting planned.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Twelve by Pies posted:

I'm still really confused about what's supposed to be impressive in that final panel.

That's a lovely comic but it's not like Mookie is any better at anything that involves race so Buckley still comes out ahead.

I don't know. As bad as Mookie is, and lord knows he's bad, I don't know that anything he's done is quite as insane and bad as comparing console wars to racial injustice and oppression.
Like Mookie at least seems to do hamfist racial allegories that at least involve racial allegories and pay lip service, unambiguously, to the notion that racism is bad, even if his ideas and understandings about justice and the hows and whys of racism are bonkers.

But like, what's the point of that B^U comic? Because the first reaction I have and that I think we can all agree is a valid reading is my snarky joke post above; Buckley is directly comparing the 'plight' of Nintendo fans to the plight of African Americans. Smug shitposts by PC gamers online and Valve making a mobile platform are being directly compared to the oppression and murder of black Americans and to the commodification and appropriation of their culture.

That seems way more vile and offensive than anything Mookie has done - at least where race is concerned.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say both Mookie and Buckley are pretty bad in their own beautiful unique ways

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I think the main difference is that Buckley successfully told a joke.

It's a joke that depends on the reader giving credit to the idea that "PC gamers" consider themselves superior to "Switch gamers", and it touches a third rail that white comedians should stay the hell away from, but it does successfully combine the elements of a joke.

This is why Buckley is a better artist than Mookie, because Mookie seems to have...

...honestly, looking the thing over, I don't think Mookie's primary problems are really about his art or storytelling skills? I feel like his main problem is that his theory of mind is broken in some way that I'm not qualified to diagnose, so that he keeps delivering story beats that most people just don't react to in the way that he seems to expect.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

Mutant Headcrab posted:

...but didn't bother to show or exposition this in the comic. Wonderful :shepface:

Looking over that summary It's weird how all that just kind of blended together in my mind. Like, I had almost completely forgotten about the poetry.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

I genuinely don't think the author has any concept of what these characters want or what they're trying to do, he just has ideas about the setting he wants them to stumble through and display. The effect is the sort of aimless, half-motivated behavior of a literal child on a road trip from Snout: He goes places when they're available, spends time with his companions following them around to places that mean things to them, and is overjoyed when he can get access to the specific things he wants to see. He's not really a researcher, or an active participant, he's a spectator who just lets the events of the 'plot' crash over him and emotes when people are mean to him or nice to him.

His companions, meanwhile, have no internal desires or purposes, except to go to the various locations with setting information that he wants to touch on - he might as well have made this an explicit road trip, with the adults involved bouncing from place to place with Snout in tow. They have all the internality of the adults in Peanuts cartoons.

Riot Bus
Jan 8, 2020
He's really gotta stop drawing completely unimpressive scenery while having the protagonist look at it and go 'whoa'.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Rand Brittain posted:

I don't think Mookie's primary problems are really about his art or storytelling skills?

I think his storytelling skills are in fact a primary problem. For example, one of the things that's repeatedly been shown in the original DD is Mookie has no concept of separating author knowledge from character knowledge, or even separating knowledge from different characters. Most strips have the problem that if one character knows something, every character knows that thing, or if Mookie knows something, the characters know it too. This leads to a lot of convenient plot resolutions, or just anticlimaxes.

There's also a lot of deus ex machinas, especially Dominic's parents. I know he wanted to avoid the anime/JRPG trope of the main character having dead/evil families, but having incredibly powerful family members that solve a lot of the main character's problems is also boring.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Okay that first panel- it's supposed to be an overhead view but something's off.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Maxwell Lord posted:

Okay that first panel- it's supposed to be an overhead view but something's off.

The ship is at an angle that makes it look like it's descending, but the motion lines indicate it going straight ahead, I think is what makes it look off.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Maxwell Lord posted:

The combination of the tree-like docks, the lack of textures, and the weirdness of the ship all conspire to make it look like the ship is approaching a looming spherical object/hole, rather than a lake from above. The motion line also seems to add to that, for me.

Plus the framing reminds me a lot of like, a standard SFF 'spaceship approaching spaceport' angle, so that adds to the feeling that this is a three-dimensional tableau of the ship approaching some looming mass, rather than a top-down flight at a great height. It doesn't help that nothing clearly communicates the height of the ship, and the art doesn't communicate the scale effectively, so that doesn't resolve either.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

Mutant Headcrab posted:

I think actually it was mentioned offhand in a Snout diary text dump that someone told him the library won't have his book. The tweet was about how Snout read a poem co-written by J. Deegan and instead of investigating that further he focused in on some orc guy. Naturally someone wanted to know why Snout just ignored that huge lead and Mookie said the library didn't have anything on Jacob. Not that we saw Snout even attempt asking.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Joe Slowboat posted:

the art doesn't communicate the scale effectively, so that doesn't resolve either.

The scale is what gets me. That and the poor map design. The roads are thin but given the scale of the buildings are highways, but there's no direct path between the two largest clusters, just a roundabout stretch. The docks are drawn to a scale that they're mostly 2-3x wider than the buildings, which is MASSIVE. He drew specks meant to be boats but again, given the scale of the buildings, those are loving cruise ships. And, the perspective makes the ship seem way higher in the air than it is in the other two panels, or indeed any other time we've seen it.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Twelve by Pies posted:

I think his storytelling skills are in fact a primary problem. For example, one of the things that's repeatedly been shown in the original DD is Mookie has no concept of separating author knowledge from character knowledge, or even separating knowledge from different characters.

That's the theory of mind that Rand Brittain is talking about.

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

Twelve by Pies posted:

Buckley has made enormous improvements in being a person in general, in the politoons thread someone posted a series of strips where the Xbox robot dealt with gender identity and it was pretty positive. It's a hell of a lot better than anything Mookie has done with gender identity.

I hadn't really been following Buckley all that closely, and this made me really happy to read. Seriously, good on him! I am hoping that Switch comic was a particularly bad one-off.

Joe Slowboat posted:

I genuinely don't think the author has any concept of what these characters want or what they're trying to do, he just has ideas about the setting he wants them to stumble through and display. The effect is the sort of aimless, half-motivated behavior of a literal child on a road trip from Snout: He goes places when they're available, spends time with his companions following them around to places that mean things to them, and is overjoyed when he can get access to the specific things he wants to see. He's not really a researcher, or an active participant, he's a spectator who just lets the events of the 'plot' crash over him and emotes when people are mean to him or nice to him.

His companions, meanwhile, have no internal desires or purposes, except to go to the various locations with setting information that he wants to touch on - he might as well have made this an explicit road trip, with the adults involved bouncing from place to place with Snout in tow. They have all the internality of the adults in Peanuts cartoons.

I'd say that you nailed it. This is almost all padding until he figures out where the story wants to go. On the one hand, I know the freedom afforded by an almost completely spontaneous writing style can be liberating and inspiring in the right hands! On the other hand, it's clearly not working out, and I'm not surprised that fan engagement has gone down, if ever it was high. Get on with it!

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

jesus christ

are you loving kidding me with this

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Names for the ink witch

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

The second panel actually looks okay-ish. If the rest of the scenery shots looked like that I wouldn't have any complaints - it's nothing impressive, but it works. But instead this is an art style we've never, ever seen before, so it's pretty jarring, especially after the previous page and its depiction of water.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Snout is so repulsive in both body and mind.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Rotten Red Rod posted:

The second panel actually looks okay-ish. If the rest of the scenery shots looked like that I wouldn't have any complaints - it's nothing impressive, but it works. But instead this is an art style we've never, ever seen before, so it's pretty jarring, especially after the previous page and its depiction of water.

It looks too good, even. Wouldn't be surprised if it's a photograph that's been edited to look like a black and white drawing. gently caress, I hate this, I hate not giving people the benefit of the doubt and jumping to nasty conclusions like that, but there's just no goodwill left. :smith:

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

YF-23 posted:

It looks too good, even. Wouldn't be surprised if it's a photograph that's been edited to look like a black and white drawing. gently caress, I hate this, I hate not giving people the benefit of the doubt and jumping to nasty conclusions like that, but there's just no goodwill left. :smith:

The last 18 months have been marked by people shouting proudly that they consider millions of people dead and millions more maimed to be an acceptable price to pay for their not being inconvenienced in the slightest. I do not understand how anyone who was a teen or an adult during the (ongoing) COVID pandemic can ever possibly give anyone the benefit of the doubt until they have had that person demonstrate to them they have earned that sort of consideration.

And, I mean, in that case, we have, what, the better part of two decades worth of evidence of Mookie showing us that, no, lol he is that lazy and shameless.

We can debate the morality and intentionality of Mookie but I don't think any of us can really debate 'Mookie lazy and lacking in artistic integrity.'
If you see something that looks like it was way too well drawn or composed to be Mookie's own original art, then you should assume that it is the case until compelling evidence arises that demonstrates otherwise.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Mx. posted:

jesus christ

are you loving kidding me with this

I pulled a face as soon as I saw the first one and it only got worse the more I read. "Cuddler" is the loving nadir though so that's definitely what he'll go with

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.

Dabir posted:

I pulled a face as soon as I saw the first one and it only got worse the more I read. "Cuddler" is the loving nadir though so that's definitely what he'll go with

'Squish' lol

is he actually sleeping with them or do they just kinda curl up like a bunch of ferrets together