Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

It's especially gross in the context of that article, but it's sadly common for those kinds of long form interview write ups in magazines and newspapers. It'd be nice if that garbage stopped, but the writers probably see themselves as aspiring novelists and don't understand a) there's a difference between writing about fictional characters vs real people and b) there's a difference between painting a picture and being creepy and exhausting.

Another journalistic habit that annoys me in a lot of links posted here is the reflexive need to promote the works of the people involved.
For example that Guardian article ends with:
Know Your Rights by Angelina Jolie is published by Andersen Press at Ł7.99. To support the Guardian and Observer, order your copy at guardianbookshop.com. Delivery charges may apply.

Which all in all is still better than the articles that are: *article about Louis CK being a creep* his latest special is available at his website.

Putting a plug like that at the end of the piece will literally be part of the conditions for granting the interview.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

kaworu posted:

I'm not trying to be flippant here, I really do wonder about this sort of thing. For one thing, Tarantino has really flown over this whole Weinstein thing and come out without hardly a mark on him, which I find somewhat odd. There's a sort of... reverse-stigma in Hollywood where as long as you're regarded as brilliant and successful enough, it's extremely difficult for any kind of dirt to stick to you for very long unless you really gently caress up. And even then, if you're considered brilliant enough there will always be people willing to look past that and work with you - Polanski is a fine example of this, and Woody Allen as well. Both guys transgressed HUGELY, but big stars will still work with them and they still get funding.
I honestly find Tarantino's claim that he didn't know anything a little suspect. He's friends with Robert Rodriguez who not only knew about Weinstein, but openly defied him when he cast McGowan for Planet Terror. Did Rodriguez never bring it up?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Tarantino cast Emile hirsch which means he either doesn’t know what goes on inthis town or he actively seeks out “raw behavior”

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

There probably is also an aspect of 1995 Pitt having enough power to wield while still being naive about what potential consequences there could while 2010 Pitt had enough experience to know he'd been making deals with different devils his whole career and became jaded and mercenary about what deals he made, but how a person perceives the value of the stance weighs just as much as how they perceive the consequences. It's possible, maybe even likely, that 1995 Pitt would have given less weight to a story from a decade earlier and 2010 Pitt would have acted more brashly to contemporary account.

Well the Brad Pitt that signed on for IG probably was a bit more desperate than the 1995 Brad Pitt. His career had floundered a bit after leaving his wife for Jolie. His image was 'the sensitive hunk that would hurt everyone except you' and publicly cheating on his SO twice in 5 years pretty much killed it. He was pretty itchy to work with Tarantino thanks to his ability to revitalize stalking careers.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Well the Brad Pitt that signed on for IG probably was a bit more desperate than the 1995 Brad Pitt. His career had floundered a bit after leaving his wife for Jolie. His image was 'the sensitive hunk that would hurt everyone except you' and publicly cheating on his SO twice in 5 years pretty much killed it. He was pretty itchy to work with Tarantino thanks to his ability to revitalize stalking careers.

I don't know that most people give a poo poo about any of this, certainly not Hollywood. It's very difficult for a white male actor's career to flounder. The general thing is that on balance, Tarantino movies are very good.

At the same time, the list of people who worked with Weinstein in some capacity while knowing at least something is very, very long, because at minimum it's pretty hard to avoid working on one of their productions in the almost forty years before they went under. If Harvey wasn't trying to rape you he was trying to control you by rewriting your movie to appeal more to his grotesque sensibilities, he's the template for a tyrannical studio monster. Salma Hayek more or less had to work with Harvey to get Frida made (and has some stories about it). Is she therefore a monster?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

:psyduck: Do you really think that those two situations are comparable? Like, at all?

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Salma Hayek more or less had to work with Harvey to get Frida made (and has some stories about it). Is she therefore a monster?

Well… yea?

It’s one thing to allow yourself to be abused to further your goals.
It’s another to do so in a broader context of widespread abuse, where you’re just reinforcing and facilitating the perpetuation of the process.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

The year before he made ig he was in Benjamin button and the year before was Babel. His career was not in a rut.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Yeah, I'm confused about any point in time post Thelma and Louise you could accurately describe Brad Pitt as "being in a rut" career wise.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Alhazred posted:

I honestly find Tarantino's claim that he didn't know anything a little suspect. He's friends with Robert Rodriguez who not only knew about Weinstein, but openly defied him when he cast McGowan for Planet Terror. Did Rodriguez never bring it up?

Yeah, he was thick as thieves with Weinstein, there's no Tarantino without Harvey Weinstein. Like hell he didn't know anything.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Directors and Producers from that generation were routinely caught trying to murder their lead actresses (Uma Thurman), telling them to gently caress their co-stars for better chemistry (Sharon Stone), or just destroying them psychologically (Shelley Duvall) and those things became national news and big legal cases and all of those people would go in to have gigantic massive careers after the fact. You have the most famous women in the world jumping up and down going “hey, this poo poo is hosed up!” and here we are 25-30 years later and we’re sort of kind of starting to deal with it*

*or they put Weinstein in jail to put all the blame on him Epstein style so that the matter is permanently settled

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Alhazred posted:

:psyduck: Do you really think that those two situations are comparable? Like, at all?

Salma Hayek has to work with Weinstein (and put in a gratuitous sex scene at his request) or her passion project, Frida, doesn't get made. What is the moral choice?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Salma Hayek has to work with Weinstein (and put in a gratuitous sex scene at his request) or her passion project, Frida, doesn't get made. What is the moral choice?

Brad Pitt decides to work with Weinstein after his wife asked him to not work with the person who sexually assaulted her. Hayek decides also decides to work with Weinstein, without anyone telling her that Weinstein is a rapist, and is victim of sexual abuse. How are those two situasjons comparable?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Alhazred posted:

Brad Pitt decides to work with Weinstein after his wife asked him to not work with the person who sexually assaulted her. Hayek decides also decides to work with Weinstein, without anyone telling her that Weinstein is a rapist, and is victim of sexual abuse. How are those two situasjons comparable?

What we've learned about CBS, Sony, and Warner, for three examples, has not been encouraging to the idea that there exists some other more moral option to finance a film project and get it seen by people.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Sodomy Hussein posted:

What we've learned about CBS, Sony, and Warner, for three examples, has not been encouraging to the idea that there exists some other more moral option to finance a film project and get it seen by people.
What are the moral choices Hayek did, in your opinion?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Alhazred posted:

What are the moral choices Hayek did, in your opinion?

The point is that I doubt there is a strictly uncompromising path to take besides taking your ball, going home, and no longer being involved in the business unless you can reasonably verify the integrity of everyone you're working with before the fact. Whether it's moral is really beside the point, there's a morality in fighting to get Frida made.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Pitt was told by his wife that Weinstein had assaulted her. Instead of supporting her he chose to work with her assaulter.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Alhazred posted:

Pitt was told by his wife that Weinstein had assaulted her. Instead of supporting her he chose to work with her assaulter.

Then she married Brad. Do I win the outrage olympics event for marital dirty laundry?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Hussein, you are actively trying to compare getting sexually assaulted and begging your partner not to get financially involved with your assaulter with wanting to make a movie really badly and you aren’t making your point very clearly but you ARE confusing the hell out of everyone with this terrible metaphor! Hayek could have simply WAITED TO MAKE HER FUCKIN MOVIE.

Like, Hayek could have just waited a few years until she became the ultra mega star//household name she would become and then pitched it to any of the other major Hollywood producers she knew instead of rushing to make an artsy movie about a famous gay lady.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
https://twitter.com/DEADLINE/status/1435062050670194692?s=20

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Then she married Brad.

What does that have to do with anything?

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Bust Rodd posted:

Hussein, you are actively trying to compare getting sexually assaulted and begging your partner not to get financially involved with your assaulter with wanting to make a movie really badly and you aren’t making your point very clearly but you ARE confusing the hell out of everyone with this terrible metaphor! Hayek could have simply WAITED TO MAKE HER FUCKIN MOVIE.

Like, Hayek could have just waited a few years until she became the ultra mega star//household name she would become and then pitched it to any of the other major Hollywood producers she knew instead of rushing to make an artsy movie about a famous gay lady.

Instead of making up nonsense you can just read Salma Hayek's account of the whole thing.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2017/12/13/opinion/contributors/salma-hayek-harvey-weinstein.html

quote:

In the 14 years that I stumbled from schoolgirl to Mexican soap star to an extra in a few American films to catching a couple of lucky breaks in “Desperado” and “Fools Rush In,” Harvey Weinstein had become the wizard of a new wave of cinema that took original content into the mainstream. At the same time, it was unimaginable for a Mexican actress to aspire to a place in Hollywood. And even though I had proven them wrong, I was still a nobody.

One of the forces that gave me the determination to pursue my career was the story of Frida Kahlo, who in the golden age of the Mexican muralists would do small intimate paintings that everybody looked down on. She had the courage to express herself while disregarding skepticism. My greatest ambition was to tell her story. It became my mission to portray the life of this extraordinary artist and to show my native Mexico in a way that combated stereotypes.

The Weinstein empire, which was then Miramax, had become synonymous with quality, sophistication and risk taking — a haven for artists who were complex and defiant. It was everything that Frida was to me and everything I aspired to be.

I had started a journey to produce the film with a different company, but I fought to get it back to take it to Harvey.

I knew him a little bit through my relationship with the director Robert Rodriguez and the producer Elizabeth Avellan, who was then his wife, with whom I had done several films and who had taken me under their wing. All I knew of Harvey at the time was that he had a remarkable intellect, he was a loyal friend and a family man.

Knowing what I know now, I wonder if it wasn’t my friendship with them — and Quentin Tarantino and George Clooney — that saved me from being raped.

The deal we made initially was that Harvey would pay for the rights of work I had already developed. As an actress, I would be paid the minimum Screen Actors Guild scale plus 10 percent. As a producer, I would receive a credit that would not yet be defined, but no payment, which was not that rare for a female producer in the ’90s. He also demanded a signed deal for me to do several other films with Miramax, which I thought would cement my status as a leading lady.

I did not care about the money; I was so excited to work with him and that company. In my naďveté, I thought my dream had come true. He had validated the last 14 years of my life. He had taken a chance on me — a nobody. He had said yes.

Little did I know it would become my turn to say no.

No to opening the door to him at all hours of the night, hotel after hotel, location after location, where he would show up unexpectedly, including one location where I was doing a movie he wasn’t even involved with.

No to me taking a shower with him.

No to letting him watch me take a shower.

No to letting him give me a massage.

No to letting a naked friend of his give me a massage.

No to letting him give me oral sex.

No to my getting naked with another woman.

No, no, no, no, no …

And with every refusal came Harvey’s Machiavellian rage.

I don’t think he hated anything more than the word “no.” The absurdity of his demands went from getting a furious call in the middle of the night asking me to fire my agent for a fight he was having with him about a different movie with a different client to physically dragging me out of the opening gala of the Venice Film Festival, which was in honor of “Frida,” so I could hang out at his private party with him and some women I thought were models but I was told later were high-priced prostitutes.

The range of his persuasion tactics went from sweet-talking me to that one time when, in an attack of fury, he said the terrifying words, “I will kill you, don’t think I can’t.”

When he was finally convinced that I was not going to earn the movie the way he had expected, he told me he had offered my role and my script with my years of research to another actress.

In his eyes, I was not an artist. I wasn’t even a person. I was a thing: not a nobody, but a body.

At that point, I had to resort to using lawyers, not by pursuing a sexual harassment case, but by claiming “bad faith,” as I had worked so hard on a movie that he was not intending to make or sell back to me. I tried to get it out of his company.

He claimed that my name as an actress was not big enough and that I was incompetent as a producer, but to clear himself legally, as I understood it, he gave me a list of impossible tasks with a tight deadline:

1. Get a rewrite of the script, with no additional payment.

2. Raise $10 million to finance the film.

3. Attach an A-list director.

4. Cast four of the smaller roles with prominent actors.

Much to everyone’s amazement, not least my own, I delivered, thanks to a phalanx of angels who came to my rescue, including Edward Norton, who beautifully rewrote the script several times and appallingly never got credit, and my friend Margaret Perenchio, a first-time producer, who put up the money. The brilliant Julie Taymor agreed to direct, and from then on she became my rock. For the other roles, I recruited my friends Antonio Banderas, Edward Norton and my dear Ashley Judd. To this day, I don’t know how I convinced Geoffrey Rush, whom I barely knew at the time.

Now Harvey Weinstein was not only rejected but also about to do a movie he did not want to do.

Ironically, once we started filming, the sexual harassment stopped but the rage escalated. We paid the price for standing up to him nearly every day of shooting. Once, in an interview he said Julie and I were the biggest ball busters he had ever encountered, which we took as a compliment.

Halfway through shooting, Harvey turned up on set and complained about Frida’s “unibrow.” He insisted that I eliminate the limp and berated my performance. Then he asked everyone in the room to step out except for me. He told me that the only thing I had going for me was my sex appeal and that there was none of that in this movie. So he told me he was going to shut down the film because no one would want to see me in that role.

It was soul crushing because, I confess, lost in the fog of a sort of Stockholm syndrome, I wanted him to see me as an artist: not only as a capable actress but also as somebody who could identify a compelling story and had the vision to tell it in an original way.

I was hoping he would acknowledge me as a producer, who on top of delivering his list of demands shepherded the script and obtained the permits to use the paintings. I had negotiated with the Mexican government, and with whomever I had to, to get locations that had never been given to anyone in the past — including Frida Kahlo’s houses and the murals of Kahlo’s husband, Diego Rivera, among others.

But all of this seemed to have no value. The only thing he noticed was that I was not sexy in the movie. He made me doubt if I was any good as an actress, but he never succeeded in making me think that the film was not worth making.

He offered me one option to continue. He would let me finish the film if I agreed to do a sex scene with another woman. And he demanded full-frontal nudity.

He had been constantly asking for more skin, for more sex. Once before, Julie Taymor got him to settle for a tango ending in a kiss instead of the lovemaking scene he wanted us to shoot between the character Tina Modotti, played by Ashley Judd, and Frida.

But this time, it was clear to me he would never let me finish this movie without him having his fantasy one way or another. There was no room for negotiation.

I had to say yes. By now so many years of my life had gone into this film. We were about five weeks into shooting, and I had convinced so many talented people to participate. How could I let their magnificent work go to waste?

I had asked for so many favors, I felt an immense pressure to deliver and a deep sense of gratitude for all those who did believe in me and followed me into this madness. So I agreed to do the senseless scene.

I arrived on the set the day we were to shoot the scene that I believed would save the movie. And for the first and last time in my career, I had a nervous breakdown: My body began to shake uncontrollably, my breath was short and I began to cry and cry, unable to stop, as if I were throwing up tears.

Since those around me had no knowledge of my history of Harvey, they were very surprised by my struggle that morning. It was not because I would be naked with another woman. It was because I would be naked with her for Harvey Weinstein. But I could not tell them then.

My mind understood that I had to do it, but my body wouldn’t stop crying and convulsing. At that point, I started throwing up while a set frozen still waited to shoot. I had to take a tranquilizer, which eventually stopped the crying but made the vomiting worse. As you can imagine, this was not sexy, but it was the only way I could get through the scene.

By the time the filming of the movie was over, I was so emotionally distraught that I had to distance myself during the postproduction.

When Harvey saw the cut film, he said it was not good enough for a theatrical release and that he would send it straight to video.

This time Julie had to fight him without me and got him to agree to release the film in one movie theater in New York if we tested it to an audience and we scored at least an 80.

Less than 10 percent of films achieve that score on a first screening.

I didn’t go to the test. I anxiously awaited to receive the news. The film scored 85.

And again, I heard Harvey raged. In the lobby of a theater after the screening, he screamed at Julie. He balled up one of the scorecards and threw it at her. It bounced off her nose. Her partner, the film’s composer Elliot Goldenthal, stepped in, and Harvey physically threatened him.

Once he calmed down, I found the strength to call Harvey to ask him also to open the movie in a theater in Los Angeles, which made a total of two theaters. And without much ado, he gave me that. I have to say sometimes he was kind, fun and witty — and that was part of the problem: You just never knew which Harvey you were going to get.

Months later, in October 2002, this film, about my hero and inspiration — this Mexican artist who never truly got acknowledged in her time with her limp and her unibrow, this film that Harvey never wanted to do, gave him a box office success that no one could have predicted, and despite his lack of support, added six Academy Award nominations to his collection, including best actress.

Even though “Frida” eventually won him two Oscars, I still didn’t see any joy. He never offered me a starring role in a movie again. The films that I was obliged to do under my original deal with Miramax were all minor supporting roles.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Okay, so in summary she went in knowing nothing about Weinstein, but after being put through hell she so wanted to get the movie made that she put up with horrible poo poo that nobody should have ever had to put up with. Which, it shouldn't need to be reiterated, is not at all comparable to Brad Pitt working with Weinstein.

Do you think Weinstein tried to assault Brad Pitt or take his role away from him if he didn't blow Weinstein or give him a body massage? No, Brad Pitt got to cash a paycheck from a guy who sexually assaulted his wife.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Skwirl posted:

Yeah, I'm confused about any point in time post Thelma and Louise you could accurately describe Brad Pitt as "being in a rut" career wise.

I was mistaken, I remember a lot of talk at the time about it hurting his career, he went from making 2-3 movies a year in the late 90s and early 00s to maybe 1 movie a year in the back half.

I did find an interview he did during the Once Upon a Time in Hollywood press tour where he said the slowdown was do to Troy bombing and his decision to take restock in his career. He said he was only going to do the movies he wanted to do and not let anyone change his mind when his decision was made. Seems pretty much in line with what Jolie said.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

So rather than continue my mistake in this thread and speculate, I did some light reading. Pitt and his production company (Plan B) gave Weinstein Killing Them Softly because The Weinstein Company won a bidding war for it.

quote:

Following the release of Inglourious, Pitt agreed to star in and produce an adaptation of the book Cogan’s Trade, directed by Andrew Dominik and developed by Plan B. After a heated bidding war, the distribution rights to the film were sold to The Weinstein Company, who promised a $20 million ad spend. The film, ultimately titled Killing Them Softly, was released in 2012 by Pitt and Weinstein, earning a meager $15 million stateside.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/why-did-brad-pitt-do-two-harvey-weinstein-movies-after-gwyneth-paltrow-and-angelina-jolie-were-attacked

The stated budget on the film is $15 million, so if we follow the widely accepted calculus of "movies cost as much to market as they do to make," basically they got the deal they needed to make their money back on it.

In short, Brad can work with whoever he wants with no fear of being raped, and essentially keeps Harvey afloat by working with him. So, I apologize for escalating this into some farcical comparison between Brad and Salma Hayek yesterday, that wasn't cool.

Enemabag Jones
Mar 24, 2015

Jesus Christ, Hayek's account is heart-wrenching and it's horrifying to think how many movies also feature literal on-screen rape.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Post Ironic Cereal posted:

Jesus Christ, Hayek's account is heart-wrenching and it's horrifying to think how many movies also feature literal on-screen rape.

A lot! Like, seriously, a LOT. Ever look up the story behind Last Tango in Paris? It's deeply upsetting!

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Bust Rodd posted:

Is this a joke post? Because otherwise you’re just replying to a really bad take with an equally bad take.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
It's Bust Rodd.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/AP/status/1435392167095197696

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.

Part of me wonders if Jamie embezzled millions from Britney and he's trying to desperately get away with it.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

DarkSol posted:

Part of me wonders if Jamie embezzled millions from Britney and he's trying to desperately get away with it.

I mean, is that even an 'if'?

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I mean, is that even an 'if'?

You're right. It's probably more just a matter of how much he socked away than did he sock anything away at all?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

DarkSol posted:

You're right. It's probably more just a matter of how much he socked away than did he sock anything away at all?

Is there any other point to treating your golden goose daughter like she needs to go into a nursing home?

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I'm surprised that Britney's side remains so combative even though Jamie's side is caving in. He definitely did some blatant rear end theft and I hope they send his rear end to jail.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken

Vegetable posted:

I'm surprised that Britney's side remains so combative even though Jamie's side is caving in. He definitely did some blatant rear end theft and I hope they send his rear end to jail.

Why are you surprised that she wants her pound of flesh after getting hosed by her own family for so long?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah it’s not just about being free, it’s about getting justice for being literally enslaved for a decade

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Yeah, he was thick as thieves with Weinstein, there's no Tarantino without Harvey Weinstein. Like hell he didn't know anything.

He talked about it in the Joe rogan episode from not that long ago. He said everyone knew. He just didn't know it was rape versus being very "handsy inappropriate." (which is not an excuse and is still sexual assault but old school boomer types would not say it's the same so the mindset at least makes sense).

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Tarantino is also no stranger to near constant accusations of sexual perversion, it’s really easy to imagine someone like that not wanting to draw attention to it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Bust Rodd posted:

Tarantino is also no stranger to near constant accusations of sexual perversion, it’s really easy to imagine someone like that not wanting to draw attention to it

Rumors of Tarantino making sure to work his foot fetish into his movies are much more common than serious issues surrounding how Uma Thurman almost died doing the car stuff for Kill Bill, for example. One cloud of rumors may conceal another issue.

Name Change fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Sep 8, 2021