Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

quote:

The harsh and potentially unsafe working conditions on location led to actress Irena Violette quitting the movie partway through production; in retaliation the producers withheld her passport and demanded she repay her salary in exchange for its return, which led to Violette and her boyfriend secretly escaping from the set in Fujian to the US Consulate General in Shanghai with the help of Lawrence, a few sympathetic crew members, and the local police.

You could make a film about just that episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

My favorite part:

quote:

At one point Lawrence joked about building a large wall to hide a resort on a beach from view of the film cameras; due to a mistranslation he found a wall actually being built when he arrived to shoot at the location.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

BonoMan posted:

My sister used to read those books but I have zero knowledge of them - are they any good? Cuz that just looks generic as fudge.

Also nice Mouth of Sauron rip off assholes!

They're a lot better read as a piece after the fact than they were when you had to wait two years for the next one. Robert Jordan realised around book 7 that he'd written himself into a corner. Unlike GRRM, who chose to sit on his rear end until he could solve the insoluble problem, Jordan wrote through it by devoting most of three books to manoeuvring characters to where they needed to be. As a result, nothing much happens in those books.

Anyway, as people said: they start as a mishmash of LOTR, Arthurian legend (with two Arthurs, no less) and a bit of Norse mythology, but they do diverge from that reasonably quickly. After that it's a generic fantasy saga with maybe a little too much fetishism, but also with some absolute killer scenes that are worth the price of admission. I'm reasonably confident for the TV series because it can cut out the former and emphasise the latter.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Jedit posted:

After that it's a generic fantasy saga with maybe a little too much fetishism,

If you're not featuring Jordan's spanking fetish prominently on screen, are you even doing a faithful adaptation of WoT?

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Samuel Clemens posted:

If you're not featuring Jordan's spanking fetish prominently on screen, are you even doing a faithful adaptation of WoT?

Does he also have a fetish for women crossing their arms under their breasts? And men tugging their braids?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdskyfJtyt8

Thursday

confused
Oct 3, 2003

It's just business.

I'm sure this will make all of the money, but it's hard for me to imagine it being any good.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

https://thechoiceisyours.whatisthematrix.com/

Different clips with narration by Keanu or the Mindhunter dude depending on which pill you pick.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
I don’t know, it’ll be interesting to see. Did the matrix continue to attract younger fans who were too young to see the original movies? 2 and 3 were universally considered disappointments (to varying degrees). The matrix as a franchise isn’t dissimilar from where Alien and Terminator was at one point, I think. One or two decent movies with some diminishing returns and an aging fan base.

Like, the demo for this is basically 35+ year olds who love the matrix but weren’t so offput by the sequels that they’re willing to give it a shot.

The matrix was also one of the last movies that seemed to represent a quantum leap in CGI that has only been replicated a very small handful of times since (Avatar, Gravity, anything else?). Similar to how the new Star Wars films utterly failed to live up to the technological legacy of their predecessors, I’ll be curious to see if this move can possibly break through the very rote CGI that we’ve become accustomed to.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Electronico6 posted:

Different clips with narration by Keanu or the Mindhunter dude depending on which pill you pick.

I could be wrong, but I don't think either of those are Keanu.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

thrawn527 posted:

I could be wrong, but I don't think either of those are Keanu.

Thought it sounded like him on the red pill, but I think you're right, it isn't, looking at the cast it might be Yahya Abdul Mateen II, black manta from aquaman, doing the voice over.

Goon voice blindness strikes again.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Jewmanji posted:

I don’t know, it’ll be interesting to see. Did the matrix continue to attract younger fans who were too young to see the original movies? 2 and 3 were universally considered disappointments (to varying degrees). The matrix as a franchise isn’t dissimilar from where Alien and Terminator was at one point, I think. One or two decent movies with some diminishing returns and an aging fan base.

Like, the demo for this is basically 35+ year olds who love the matrix but weren’t so offput by the sequels that they’re willing to give it a shot.

The matrix was also one of the last movies that seemed to represent a quantum leap in CGI that has only been replicated a very small handful of times since (Avatar, Gravity, anything else?). Similar to how the new Star Wars films utterly failed to live up to the technological legacy of their predecessors, I’ll be curious to see if this move can possibly break through the very rote CGI that we’ve become accustomed to.

I dunno, it's weird to me thinking back on the matrix films because they absolutely dominated the culture like nothing else for like 3-4 straight years, but the media saturation was so intense that when they kind of disappeared after 2004 I think people were ready to see them move out of the spotlight. Whatever one can say about whether the sequels were disappointing or not they were certainly distinct from the mass culture films that followed during the Iraq War years, and I think it's rare anymore to see blockbuster media that tries to be politically challenging or thought provoking like those films occasionally attempted. The 'red pill, blue pill' terminology has a sort of toxic relevence these days that seems ripe for new commentary. All in all the matrix films are bizarre relics, they did some cringe poo poo at times but as a dumb twenty year old I don't think I gave them enough credit for the risks they took. I'm interested in the directions this can go.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Y'all are probably all talking about different teasers, because there aren't just two on that that site. There are 180,000:

Collider posted:

When going to WhatIsTheMatrix.com, fans will be able to choose between taking the red or blue pill. Depending on the choice and the time of day the viewer checks out the website, one of over 180,000 unique teaser videos will appear, each one with footage from the film and narration from the talent behind the film. It's a level of possibilities that even The Architect would approve of.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
The first Matrix is still one of the all time best action movies. The Matrix sequels are interesting failures, at least, and I like the work the Wachowskis have done since, so I'm fully hyped.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

feedmyleg posted:

Y'all are probably all talking about different teasers, because there aren't just two on that that site. There are 180,000:

oooooh that's cool

Fully on board on this thing now.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I'm the one who liked The Architect scene

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

There are dozens of us!

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I like all 4 movies and the various video games. It’s me. I’m the one that wants more Matrix

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Recently rewatched Animatrix and it was dope as gently caress.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
A little disappointed that there's no Hugo Weaving

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I like all 4 movies and the various video games. It’s me. I’m the one that wants more Matrix

Ill join ya - I eat this poo poo up like candy. It's so good.

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

Watching the teaser in Architect Mode

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

ya'll ready to get red pilled

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

This is also me.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

This is also me.

[edit]

Electronico6 posted:

This is slick marketing.

teagone fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Sep 7, 2021

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

Colonel Whitey posted:

A little disappointed that there's no Hugo Weaving

Yeah. His portrayal of Smith’s smug nihilism won’t be topped here.

And the Architect scenes were badass, sorry haters.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem

feedmyleg posted:

Recently rewatched Animatrix and it was dope as gently caress.

I rewatched it recently and honestly it kind of hosed me up!

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Is Blue Pill Trailer Voice Guy NPH?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

grabbed from another thread

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

grabbed from another thread

Many same shots from the earlier films….

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

I appreciate the Wachowski's naming their latest bowel movement after Alien: Resurrection.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

MLSM posted:

Many same shots from the earlier films….

True, but it would make sense to use those shots in the first teaser.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Gresh posted:

I appreciate the Wachowski's naming their latest bowel movement after Alien: Resurrection.
Come on now.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Someone combined the clips:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozo2gIo6lJ0

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

Vintersorg posted:

Come on now.

Does anyone honestly expect this to be any good? Matrix 2 was a disappointment, nobody liked Matrix 3 and since then, the Wachowski's have gone on to make some of the worst movies ever... JUPITER ASCENDING anyone? I think the best case scenario here is Matrix 2 where there are some cool and memorable things like the twins, the highway scene, and Monica Bellucci's rack but overall disappointing.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Gresh posted:

Does anyone honestly expect this to be any good? Matrix 2 was a disappointment, nobody liked Matrix 3 and since then, the Wachowski's have gone on to make some of the worst movies ever... JUPITER ASCENDING anyone? I think the best case scenario here is Matrix 2 where there are some cool and memorable things like the twins, the highway scene, and Monica Bellucci's rack but overall disappointing.

I feel like as time goes on the first Matrix was actually the exception and it was more an accident that that movie was good rather than it was an accident that the rest sucked

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.
Whatever, I'm super excited for the Matrix. Everything the Wachowskis do is fascinating (especially in regards to the wild variance in quality), and apparently they got Aleksander Hemon on the screenplay
—I like his novels. I only see Lana's name attached to this though—did Lilly bail?

Also, fun fact for anyone with kids: the Mindhunter guy in the Matrix 4 is also Kristoff from Frozen.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Gresh posted:

they made speed racer after matrix 3 and its no joke one of the best movies ever made

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

f#a# posted:

Also, fun fact for anyone with kids: the Mindhunter guy in the Matrix 4 is also Kristoff from Frozen.

Alternatively, if you have a professional-class liberal instead of a kid, the Mindhunter guy is King George III from Hamilton.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

f#a# posted:

Whatever, I'm super excited for the Matrix. Everything the Wachowskis do is fascinating (especially in regards to the wild variance in quality), and apparently they got Aleksander Hemon on the screenplay
—I like his novels. I only see Lana's name attached to this though—did Lilly bail?

I don't think Lilly was ever attached to begin with. From the moment it was announced, I've only ever heard Lana's name associated with Matrix 4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
I didn't even really like the first Matrix, which was style over content. I wish it had grabbed me, but... ah well. I did like what I saw of Animatrix, and still need to watch the rest of those at some point. I hope the new movie is good though, for all of you who are excited for more Matrix. Hoping for more of Thing That I Like is always a bit of a monkey's paw situation, but it's been a lovely couple of years and y'all deserve a treat. Fingers crossed for you.