Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Unmorphed fighting is a higher up the management chain thing, most likely Shuki Levy. The amount of relationship stuff is because many of the writers were formerly writing Sweet Valley High and thought for the first ten episodes or so that they were writing that show with a sci-fi/paranormal twist.

Sakamoto is an oddity in tokusatsu production circles because he broke through via Power Rangers and so a fight scene with actors and stunt lookalikes is something he likes to include even though most of the foreign programs aren’t casting for it like Saban used to, and so many of the young actors and models they hire didn’t sign on for that. In the Fourze/OOO movie, Fourze gets a bit of untransformed stunt show stuff but the older riders not so much.Wildly enough the Ex-Aid (and Ghost) guys seemed to do well with it even though their characters are doctors who are in-series practically non-combatants without their powers.

Who is Japan’s JDF? Most likely Hiroshi Fujioka, and that was in the seventies.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Sep 4, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Fourze also gets the kickass unmorphed fight in the finale.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
I like the novelty of the MMPR unmorphed fights, but watching them in 2021 I can't help but think of all those terrible ninja movies that were being pumped out at the time. The best fight for me will always be the Rumble in the Bronx homage in Time Force.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

So was Frankie Chang a real actor and they disguised a Robot as him?

Or was Cinecon like the first mutant Ransik let out and then he produced several films very quickly like Roger Corman with original creation Frankie Chang that were so good the name Frankie Chang and his films would endure for 1000 years, all as a prelude to trap the rangers?

I believe the latter

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Craptacular! posted:

Who is Japan’s JDF? Most likely Hiroshi Fujioka, and that was in the seventies.

I imagine that's also a large reason why they don't like having the face doing stunts, since he had the accident while filming Kamen Rider.

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Burkion posted:

What makes it special is holy Goddamn sweet Jesus the fights. Especially the Zord Fights

I haven't revisited MMPR aside from clips, but I watched Zyuranger a few years back and the Sentai guardian beast footage is something else.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWRVnt-EPFQ

Edge of my seat watching children's programming. Just pure awesome.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Has there been much unmorphed fighting in the current series? I remember watching a bit on Hunter Deno's personal channel of her doing some stuntwork and she looked really good.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Not every episode but yeah there's been a decent amount. Maybe one out of every three has some unmorphed fighting.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
The original morphed footage is also good

Like no poo poo I've rewatched the Izzy and Javi debut fight at least three times because they're so fun. Javi dual wields Ryusoul Kens! Izzy uses a javelin and uses Boomtower as a launch pad!

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Surely nostalgia plays a big part, but Dragonzord is still easily one of my favorite zord designs. Black with gold and green highlights. Big thing on head, bursts from water. Controlled by a flute trumpet dagger. He’s cool.
The worst thing is probably those stubby arms, but at the same time giving him longer arms would probably look stupid.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Darth TNT posted:

The worst thing is probably those stubby arms, but at the same time giving him longer arms would probably look stupid.
That's likely a result of the flashing crest limiting its mobility.

But honestly. I like the stubby arms. The suit actor did some great work giving it unique physicality. I can picture the way it moved its arms semi-robotically, in these exaggerated circles and displays of aggression.

Yeah it's mechagodzilla, but mechagodzilla was loving cool.

It helps that unlike the Megazord, Dragonzord had a ton of attack options (hand missiles, tail, tail drill).

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

As a ten year old I did not question that you summoned the dragonzord by playing a dagger like a flute, even though it had no holes and you were wearing a full mouth guard, and it sounded like a trumpet.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Some early Dino Fury Gold footage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtbFfDG4lq0

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Haha those commercial voices are so bad

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
why do they all sound like TMNT imitators from the 90s but everyone is trying to be Mikey?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I wonder if that's just kind of the 'identity' of that networks promotion for their various shows

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Never knew until now that I wanted a crossover of rangers with Bill & Ted.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Craptacular! posted:

Never knew until now that I wanted a crossover of rangers with Bill & Ted.
The rare "now you've been kicked out of your own room" deep cut.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Spoilers are coming out for Dino Fury right now and there is one absolutely huge one:

First gay ranger

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Spoilers are coming out for Dino Fury right now and there is one absolutely huge one:

First gay ranger

well I mean there was Trini from the '17 movie, she was also gay

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

John Wick of Dogs posted:

First gay ranger

Which one out of curiosity?

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Larryb posted:

Which one out of curiosity?

If I had to guess, based on a comment Simon Bennett made about Episode #13 being one of his favorites, and it's synopsis, I'm going to guess Izzy

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Edit: wrong link

John Wick of Dogs fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Sep 7, 2021

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I found it.

https://twitter.com/PowerRangersFun/status/1435285012459384834

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The episode in question has apparently aired internationally and it’s confirmed: Izzy’s canonically gay and has a girlfriend now

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
From an actor saying "I tried to play a gay character and the producers told me to tone it down" to an actual gay character in just four years. All it took was Haim Saban being promoted into irrelevance!

(Although I don't think the problem with Monty so much was the idea of him being gay, but the actor expressing it through so much camp that it was bordering on excessive even for Power Rangers.)

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Apparently, the actor who played Riley acted as if he was gay and had a crush on Chase

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Well, no more acting as if required

Now even Rangers on TV can be gay and do crimes

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Larryb posted:

The episode in question has apparently aired internationally and it’s confirmed: Izzy’s canonically gay and has a girlfriend now

Groovy

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Junpei posted:

well I mean there was Trini from the '17 movie, she was also gay

Becky G-rini was so vague she could have been on the outs for being gay or just being an underachieving punk Hispanic girl.

Probably one of the weakest plot points of that film.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

FilthyImp posted:

Becky G-rini was so vague she could have been on the outs for being gay or just being an underachieving punk Hispanic girl.

Probably one of the weakest plot points of that film.

Is it time to dunk on 2017 Power Rangers the Movie again

no, no, not yet no

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Hey, I liked it. It's probably as American as Tokusatsu can get when Hollywood is involved. Breakfast Club with superpowers.

No, I don't want to talk about the horrible suits, zord designs, Megazord, Zordon, Alpha...

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

FilthyImp posted:

Hey, I liked it. It's probably as American as Tokusatsu can get when Hollywood is involved. Breakfast Club with superpowers.

No, I don't want to talk about the horrible suits, zord designs, Megazord, Zordon, Alpha...

I think we feel exactly the same about the movie

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

I enjoyed it while I was watching it, but the moment I left the theater I started realizing "Wait, maybe it wasn't so hot..."

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

FilthyImp posted:

Is it weird that for all of that, I still kind of liked it? "Ignoring most of the movie, it was quite entertaining."

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Dawgstar posted:

Is it weird that for all of that, I still kind of liked it? "Ignoring most of the movie, it was quite entertaining."

Well that's the trick

All the toku stuff the movie failed at is like, 15% of the movie.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I have a joke that '17!Jason is more like Conner from Dino Thunder than OG!Jason

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Junpei posted:

I have a joke that '17!Jason is more like Conner from Dino Thunder than OG!Jason

Look, if we're being honest, none of the '17 cast in any way shape or form resembled the original cast.

And its not like there was NOTHING to draw from either. They just didn't bother. Which is whatever, but it is the truth.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Previous image, now as a gif:

https://twitter.com/PowerRangersFun/status/1435308817529462788

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Dawgstar posted:

I think that what really carried the film (aside from Rita, which was fun) was the emotional core formed by the kids. The casting was great, and while it's entirely transparent that they were designed to have all this baggage and poo poo, there's like glimmers of decent kids failed or failing in a variety of ways and overcoming those problems that really hooked me.
What they set out to do was very different from the 90s film-- which was "a 3-parter/season change starter with huge budget". It's not Sentai exactly, and you can really, really tell that they were thinking they could cash in on the Superhero trend here. And as a result, all the stuff that is hokey and familiar fell flat because they wanted to make it Seriouser.
It'd honestly be failed film if it weren't for the character writing. It's impressively tone-deaf because it gives Series Fans next to nothing, doesn't entice new viewers to check out the franchise, and leaves on a cliffhanger that is just confusing to a neophyte.

Burkion posted:

Look, if we're being honest, none of the '17 cast in any way shape or form resembled the original cast.
Yeah, it's just suuuuuuper generic outlines like "headstrong leader", "nerdy outsider", "feisty and loyal". But to be honest, I was ok with it. I can go to the Boom Comics if I want that specific Kids TV Cast and their quirks. I like that they went a way that gave the cast their own thing.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Sep 8, 2021