Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Your stepdad hit your child. You are well far and beyond “qualified” to post here. Do not feel an ounce of guilt doing so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

mudskipp posted:

For yourself; If you find yourself puzzling over why someone would act like that I would suggest reading something rather than thinking about it.. I spent alot of energy trying to understand why my wife's dad would be so horrible but it was a total waste.
There's a Lundy Bancroft book I found helpful but don't know if it'd fit your friends situation. If you have a problem solver mindset these people will just be a horrible puzzle you'll never work out.

Seconding this. My siblings and I have wasted so much time trying to figure out our mom and why she sucks so bad. In the end it doesn't matter, all that matters is what contact we choose to have with her. I have the best relationship with her of all my siblings and that is directly tied to me spending loving zero time thinking about what she'll think, or say, or do, or what the hell is wrong with her.

I was talking with my brother about decorating my living room and he made a remark like "or paint it black, mom would love that haha". I stopped and thought and her reaction had never crossed my mind. It was like someone had made a remark about what the queen of sweden would think. Why would I care about that, it's my house?

Treat harmful people like a black box that emits abuse. All that matters is how to avoid it and protect yourself from it, no point trying to figure out if a wizard cursed it or it had a bad childhood or whatever. Just get that thing the gently caress away from you.

Fiddler on the Reef
Apr 29, 2011

Ghostnuke posted:

I don't even know how to put this all into words that make sense, hopefully it's not too bad to read...

I've been thinking about cutting out my parents for a few years now, my wife usually talks me down but I think I'm done this time. They're both far-right conservative religion types and I'm about as far from that as possible. We've been butting heads for a while but just recently I made a FB post, and my dad made a reply about what a stupid brainwashed idiot I am. I think that's the last straw for me.

I wouldn't say I've been close to either of them since I was very small (never was close to dad, he's a step-dad and just never really clicked). They both have a history of hitting me as I grew up and I can vividly remember my mom telling me she hated me once when I was probably 7 or 8. Beyond that, it was just indifference really. I can't think of a time when either of them were interested in anything I was doing, or gave encouragement etc. As long as I got good grades I pretty much flew under the radar. If I didn't though, out came the belt or my dad's fraternity paddle or whatever was close at hand. Mom's famous move was twisting her wedding ring upside down so the diamond was on the palm side of her hand and then giving me a good whack in the head. Nowadays she just comes over and tells me my house looks like poo poo and berates me for not letting her see the grandkids during the pandemic. I went to borrow her car not too long ago and she cursed me up and down over the kids and then tried to gaslight me into thinking it never happened later on, my brother was there and he just kinda slunk down in his seat and didn't say a word. She tends to throw money around to try to make things better and it's been useful/needed quite a few times, I'll admit.

I think dad would've ignored me completely decades ago if it weren't for mom, since I'm not really his. They are both 100% more involved and caring with my two younger brothers that they had together. If I didn't have kids of my own, I doubt I would hear from them much. I did let them keep my oldest daughter once for a few days over the summer, and I found out later that dad had hit her. I came very close to driving down there and beating him to death, since violence is all he understands, but realized that wouldn't help anyone.

I've tried to just ignore them and basically just have a polite/businesslike relationship with them when I'm forced to, but they've really turned up their spouting of racist chud stuff the last few years and I just can't do it anymore. I grew up overhearing all kinds of nasty poo poo about "those (insert any number of racial slurs)" up the street, or in the government or where ever and I am 100% not going to have that around my kids.

I know none of that is even close to what some people have been through, and I honestly feel guilty about even posting because of that. I could give other stories, but you get the idea...

The racist chud stuff... I mean whatever, they're family. Just unfriend on Facebook and forget about it.

Beating you as a kid... that's a little harder to forgive, but I guess if they thought they were doing what's best for you, so be it.

Hitting *your* kid though? Holy poo poo I would have gone ballistic. I'm not sure what I would have done, but I do know that it would end up cutting off all contact for that one. Jesus.

Lieutenant Dan
Oct 27, 2009

Weedlord Bonerhitler

Ghostnuke posted:

I know none of that is even close to what some people have been through, and I honestly feel guilty about even posting because of that. I could give other stories, but you get the idea...

I would have absolutely lost my loving poo poo if my parent hit my kid, that's WAY above and beyond unacceptable, into "what the gently caress" territory. Please don't feel bad about posting.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

Ghostnuke posted:

I don't even know how to put this all into words that make sense, hopefully it's not too bad to read...

I've been thinking about cutting out my parents for a few years now, my wife usually talks me down but I think I'm done this time. They're both far-right conservative religion types and I'm about as far from that as possible. We've been butting heads for a while but just recently I made a FB post, and my dad made a reply about what a stupid brainwashed idiot I am. I think that's the last straw for me.

I wouldn't say I've been close to either of them since I was very small (never was close to dad, he's a step-dad and just never really clicked). They both have a history of hitting me as I grew up and I can vividly remember my mom telling me she hated me once when I was probably 7 or 8. Beyond that, it was just indifference really. I can't think of a time when either of them were interested in anything I was doing, or gave encouragement etc. As long as I got good grades I pretty much flew under the radar. If I didn't though, out came the belt or my dad's fraternity paddle or whatever was close at hand. Mom's famous move was twisting her wedding ring upside down so the diamond was on the palm side of her hand and then giving me a good whack in the head. Nowadays she just comes over and tells me my house looks like poo poo and berates me for not letting her see the grandkids during the pandemic. I went to borrow her car not too long ago and she cursed me up and down over the kids and then tried to gaslight me into thinking it never happened later on, my brother was there and he just kinda slunk down in his seat and didn't say a word. She tends to throw money around to try to make things better and it's been useful/needed quite a few times, I'll admit.

I think dad would've ignored me completely decades ago if it weren't for mom, since I'm not really his. They are both 100% more involved and caring with my two younger brothers that they had together. If I didn't have kids of my own, I doubt I would hear from them much. I did let them keep my oldest daughter once for a few days over the summer, and I found out later that dad had hit her. I came very close to driving down there and beating him to death, since violence is all he understands, but realized that wouldn't help anyone.

I've tried to just ignore them and basically just have a polite/businesslike relationship with them when I'm forced to, but they've really turned up their spouting of racist chud stuff the last few years and I just can't do it anymore. I grew up overhearing all kinds of nasty poo poo about "those (insert any number of racial slurs)" up the street, or in the government or where ever and I am 100% not going to have that around my kids.

"Mom,

As you and dad refuse to be positive influences on my and my family's life, we are ceasing contact immediately. I have blocked you on Facebook, email, and your phone numbers. Please do not contact me, my wife, or my children without prior permission. Please do not send gifts. Please do not show up in person uninvited, I will be calling the police if needed.

Bless your heart,

Ghostnuke"

Just gently caress 'em. Entirely. Look up the statute of limitations of Assault On A Minor and if the incident is within that timeline, threaten to press charges.

Hell, DO press charges. Make it clear that they're unwelcome. They might be blood, but that ain't family. Politics you might be able to handle, but this is a couple of steps past that.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

My mom was always very clear that she would press charges if any of her abusive relatives laid a hand on me. Other people don't get to hit your kids.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

I agree with you all entirely, it would be an easy decision in a vacuum. It helps that other family members have had trouble with them too, so I wouldn't be entirely alone in the extended family. I'm sitting here bawling my eyes out in my office seeing everyone's support, so I must be getting some catharsis.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
No sane person on Earth would second-guess your decision to cut off people who abused your child. gently caress them. Burn that bridge and salt the earth around it.

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

On that note, why is your wife second guessing your decision to cut these people out?

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Ziv Zulander posted:

On that note, why is your wife second guessing your decision to cut these people out?

I don't want to paint her in a bad light, she's just very attached to the idea that family is family and you can't just throw them away. Her parents had a similar situation when she was growing up so she only had one half of the family and I think it hit her kinda hard.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

teen witch posted:

Your stepdad hit your child. You are well far and beyond “qualified” to post here. Do not feel an ounce of guilt doing so

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Ghostnuke posted:

I don't want to paint her in a bad light, she's just very attached to the idea that family is family and you can't just throw them away. Her parents had a similar situation when she was growing up so she only had one half of the family and I think it hit her kinda hard.

You might tell her that's all well and good for her and her family, and that you might let the past slide if only talking about yourself, but your first duty (second, third, ad infinitum) as a parent is to protect your child from the same abuse you suffered at the hands of these people. This isn't "letting the past go" this is present tense, currently happening bullshit.

Imagined fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Sep 7, 2021

binaisagnome
Mar 17, 2009

I am not a demon. I am a lizard, a shark, a heat-seeking panther. I want to be Bob Denver on acid playing the accordion.
The cutoff line for me, with one side of my extended family, was when my 8 year old was too old to look for Easter eggs with my cousins. I haven't seen most of them in 5 years.
My mom took my unvaccinated kids to a restaurant to eat breakfast, when I told her that would make me uncomfortable, and she didn't get to see them for 8 months. She's on sleepover timeouts until everyone is vaccinated.
You are absolutely well within reason to cut them off, holy poo poo.

Maybe check out /justnomil or /justnofamily on Reddit; the resources I found there helped me with sticking to my guns on what's best for my family, even if it means cutting out toxic people. Best of luck to you.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Imagined posted:

You might tell her that's all well and good for her and her family, and that you might let the past slide if only talking about yourself, but your first duty (second, third, ad infinitum) as a parent is to protect your child from the same abuse you suffered at the hands of these people. This isn't "letting the past go" this is present tense, currently happening bullshit.

If you've ever toned down or avoided telling her stories about your childhood nows the time to give her the full picture. If she's operating from a view she may have of "oh they weren't that interested in me, not supportive" but doesn't know they actively physically abused you that could change her point of view.

If she has the full picture and is still pressuring you to reconcile then she should look into therapy about whatever is carrying over from her childhood. More family is not better than bad, abusive family.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

I really appreciate the responses everyone. Going to see if I can get the wife on board tonight.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Ghostnuke posted:

I agree with you all entirely, it would be an easy decision in a vacuum. It helps that other family members have had trouble with them too, so I wouldn't be entirely alone in the extended family. I'm sitting here bawling my eyes out in my office seeing everyone's support, so I must be getting some catharsis.

We're here for you. None of this is easy, but don't beat yourself up over any of it. All you can do is protect yourself and your family from harm in the future.

Like Relentless said above, blood ain't poo poo. Family is the people you trust and who want good things for you.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Ghostnuke posted:

I really appreciate the responses everyone. Going to see if I can get the wife on board tonight.

Good luck. She knows he hit your child, right?

Like...no level of loving tender care he could offer as a pop-pop could be worth that

What she wants for your child is the extended family she didn't get to have, but she isn't going to find that in your family, unfortunately.

Pinus Porcus
May 14, 2019

Ranger McFriendly
From the perspective of the spouse of someone whose husband deals with the poo poo family: I have always respected my husband's decisions regarding the amount of contact he does or doesn't have with his family. However, that ends if any of them a) scream at our son or b) lay a single finger on him in anyway that isn't loving. That is the day poo poo becomes no contact, no matter what. He agrees with me on this stance, but I think I was the one who first laid it out bluntly.

If your wife isn't on board with no contact after HER child was hit, the two of you may want to seek some counseling, both together and apart. I agree with the other person who said she may be holding on to some stuff from her childhood because a kid's health and safety is paramount over "family," and parents need to recognize that. Not trying to say either of you are bad parents or anything, just that sometimes to do what's right, we have to recognize our own feelings and experiences.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Hell, it sounds like you've tried to give them a chance to be good grandparents and they haven't been. Sometimes people can be abysmal, abusive parents but end up having a much better relationship with their grandkids bc they have less responsibility and have changed in the time since, but this doesn't seem to be the case. At this point, it's better for your kids to have no paternal grandparents than it is to have them be around people willing to abuse them.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Avoid r/justnomil, as it's moderated to encourage fantastical storytelling. r/justnofamily is better.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

StrangersInTheNight posted:

Like...no level of loving tender care he could offer as a pop-pop could be worth that

What she wants for your child is the extended family she didn't get to have, but she isn't going to find that in your family, unfortunately.
Nthed. Kids can and will get over not seeing extended family members that are lovely people, doubly so if those people are lovely to them. On the flip side, it's a very bad thing to normalize 'family is the most important thing, even if your family is violent to you' - sometimes you absolutely do need to 'throw family away' for your own safety and/or the safety of those you love, and that's an important lesson for your kids to learn.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
My grandpa always yelled at me to SPEAK UP because he was losing his hearing but didn't want to admit it and blamed everyone around him, and now that's my main lingering memory of him. Just the spike of anxiety as I'd say something to him and he'd scream SPEAK UP!!!!! into my face. Then he'd finally register whatever benign statement and YELL (bc he couldn't hear himself his volume regulation was WAY off) some super conservative horrible bullshit in response.

Personally I'd rather just not have met him, than have Memories of an rear end in a top hat, if that counts for anything in this discussion.

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Sep 7, 2021

Sisal Two-Step
May 29, 2006

mom without jaw
dad without wife

i'm taking all the Ls now, sorry

StrangersInTheNight posted:

Yeah, I don't know your wife or her situation, but that she's still pulling for contact with the family of child abusers who hit her child is really :psyduck:

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Ha I was JUST telling my wife that I've noticed my dad is getting deaf, but "At least he's doing the smile and nod deafness and not the angry WHY'S EVERYBODY MUMBLING ALL THE TIME deafness."

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Imagined posted:

Ha I was JUST telling my wife that I've noticed my dad is getting deaf, but "At least he's doing the smile and nod deafness and not the angry WHY'S EVERYBODY MUMBLING ALL THE TIME deafness."

Oh I'm so glad for you. I know a lot of people like to give old folks a pass for this sorta thing because, y'know, infirmity. Mental capacities diminish and it can feel awkward holding people responsible when there are questions of their capacity to even understand their own behavior. But IMO, if you've got no dementia-related brain issues, then how gracefully you handle the realities of aging are a reflection of your character.

If you refuse to admit you can't hear anymore and make it everyone else's problem to accommodate you, you were probably a big rear end in a top hat most of your life who was used to getting his way.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Sisal Two-Step posted:

Yeah, I don't know your wife or her situation, but that she's still pulling for contact with the family of child abusers who hit her child is really :psyduck:

I don't want to give that impression at all. She's just being cautious about doing something that can't be undone, which I'm all for.

ChickenDoodle
Oct 22, 2020

Ghostnuke posted:

I don't want to give that impression at all. She's just being cautious about doing something that can't be undone, which I'm all for.

You know what else can’t be undone? Your daughter being hit by an adult in her life. Drop them like it’s hot.

Lieutenant Dan
Oct 27, 2009

Weedlord Bonerhitler

KitConstantine posted:

More family is not better than bad, abusive family.

Gotta echo this one. I much rather wish I hadn't spent any time with my lovely family member at all rather than have to undo the damage they'd made by being in my life. Sincere good luck talking with your wife.

Dongsturm
Feb 17, 2012

Ghostnuke posted:

It can probably be undone. Flip back to the beginning of this thread and there are pages of quotes from parents who detail the vast amount of time and effort they spend trying to get back into their children's lives. Reconciliation is probably going to be an option for a long time.

Or to put it more strongly: Abusers need victims much more than the victims need abusers.

You also don't need to burn the bridges yourself. You can be polite but firm when you cut (or reduce) contact, and that's probably the better choice.

mudskipp
Jan 1, 2018

stop making sense
Im not sure that's true for the men - isn't it mostly mothers who are trying to maintain the abusive parent relationships? Also, if you changed your mind you might well have to do it apologetically - because they'll (probably) think it was your fault and won't accept any responsibility for what drove you to do it.

One thing to watch out for is if these people have similar minded brothers/sisters etc is that they might lie about why you cut them out, and that part of the family might start to gang up on you.

I don't think it would be too severe of a response though.. they must've known you wouldn't have wanted them hitting your kid but they didn't care. Why bother seeing what they do next. (I'm assuming that didn't all result in a calm/supportive conversation about how you would've wanted them to handle it instead)

Dongsturm
Feb 17, 2012

mudskipp posted:

Im not sure that's true for the men - isn't it mostly mothers who are trying to maintain the abusive parent relationships? Also, if you changed your mind you might well have to do it apologetically - because they'll (probably) think it was your fault and won't accept any responsibility for what drove you to do it.

One thing to watch out for is if these people have similar minded brothers/sisters etc is that they might lie about why you cut them out, and that part of the family might start to gang up on you.

I don't think it would be too severe of a response though.. they must've known you wouldn't have wanted them hitting your kid but they didn't care. Why bother seeing what they do next. (I'm assuming that didn't all result in a calm/supportive conversation about how you would've wanted them to handle it instead)

Every situation is different, but going back is usually very easy. Staying in "no contact" is the challenge. I've been going back and re-reading the start of the thread, and it's full of abusive mothers spending years trying to get back in contact with their children, and stories from the children about repeatedly letting the abusive parents back into their lives (and then regretting it). It is some amazing reading.

nashona
May 8, 2014

Though she be but little, she is fierce

Ghostnuke posted:

How does your daughter feel about her grandparents? Does she want to see them? How is she handling that he hit her? What about your other kids? How do they feel about them?
One thing that might help with your wife is think about what you are unconsciously saying to your daughter if you maintain this relationship - that her parents are okay with her being abused by them, even once. She might stop trusting you and telling you things because well, getting hit by someone you love doesn't have consequences.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Imagined posted:

One thing my Dad did re. my Nonno before the latter died which really pissed me off was telling me repeatedly (in the face of Nonno's deafness) was 'No, there's no point in transcribing what's being said on a tablet so he can read it and then respond as opposed to withdrawing from everyday conversation', then me doing it once out of the blue and we had a big conversation about... stuff, as opposed to him going to a newspaper.

That really made me angry.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

nashona posted:

How does your daughter feel about her grandparents? Does she want to see them? How is she handling that he hit her? What about your other kids? How do they feel about them?
One thing that might help with your wife is think about what you are unconsciously saying to your daughter if you maintain this relationship - that her parents are okay with her being abused by them, even once. She might stop trusting you and telling you things because well, getting hit by someone you love doesn't have consequences.

I talked to my daughter about it last night, she doesn't even remember it (or at least that's what she said, she's 6). My wife is onboard now, I had her read the thread. I don't think she was aware of all the things that happened to me growing up. One thing that super blew my mind though - she mentioned that her parents didn't hit her.

I 100% legit thought that your parents hitting you was just something that happened to everyone. I guess I normalized it?

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Ghostnuke posted:

I talked to my daughter about it last night, she doesn't even remember it (or at least that's what she said, she's 6). My wife is onboard now, I had her read the thread. I don't think she was aware of all the things that happened to me growing up. One thing that super blew my mind though - she mentioned that her parents didn't hit her.

I 100% legit thought that your parents hitting you was just something that happened to everyone. I guess I normalized it?

It is not, and being hit as a kid is thankfully dying out, minus the walking red flags that are those who “got hit as a kid and turned out fine”

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Ghostnuke posted:

The worst I got was the occasional dope-slap which me and brother could return to our own parents. People should not hit kids.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Ghostnuke posted:

No, it does not happen to everyone, and even most people who got spanked were not abused to the frequency or degree which you described.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

Ghostnuke posted:

My dad spanked me once when I was in elementary school (I have no memory of what I did) and my mom had a blowout fight with him about it and it never happened again. My dad isn't perfect by any stretch of the imagination and definitely has anger problems but to his credit, the only person he's laid hands on since then has been his own younger brother (my uncle), who is a drunk rear end in a top hat that typically throws the first punch. It's a low bar to set but we've got to start somewhere.

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

Ghostnuke posted:

So did I. I assumed for many years that this was normal parenting behaviour and that every kid I knew got smacked around by their parents whenever they did anything even slightly wrong. Finding out other kids didn't get disciplined the same way was a real eye-opener.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

CuwiKhons posted:

My dad spanked me once when I was in elementary school (I have no memory of what I did) and my mom had a blowout fight with him about it and it never happened again. My dad isn't perfect by any stretch of the imagination and definitely has anger problems but to his credit, the only person he's laid hands on since then has been his own younger brother (my uncle), who is a drunk rear end in a top hat that typically throws the first punch. It's a low bar to set but we've got to start somewhere.

that's one of the dumbest things about it. if I try to think back on what I did to "deserve" a lot of that, I don't even know. I didn't learn a thing other than do whatever I can to not make them mad.