Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Their monitors are decent at least. They tend to make smart choices to reduce cost without sacrificing functionality, making for some pretty solid mid-budget displays that are competitive with the high-end displays out there. As for everything else they make, I think I'd rather stay away unless they're selling me a graphics card at msrp.

Speaking of gigabyte monitors, good news:

Who makes the panel though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I believe Patrick Stone of GN (so the one doing the PSU testing) actually has an EE degree, it got mentioned during the NZXT riser videos. Note that there are two Patricks who work for GN and usually when Steve refers to Patrick it’s the other one who writes reviews and does camera work.

e: I was incorrect, Stone has a Computer Engineering degree. His LinkedIn was literally the first result when I googled his name.

Arivia fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Aug 27, 2021

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Arivia posted:

I believe Patrick Stone of GN (so the one doing the PSU testing) actually has an EE degree, it got mentioned during the NZXT riser videos. Note that there are two Patricks who work for GN and usually when Steve refers to Patrick it’s the other one who writes reviews and does camera work.

e: I was incorrect, Stone has a Computer Engineering degree. His LinkedIn was literally the first result when I googled his name.

Computer Engineering is basically a specialized form of Electrical Engineering so it's still his wheelhouse

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Computer Engineering isn't a specialized form of Electrical Engineering at all, what the hell. More applied mathematics.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

That's Computer Science and Engineering, distinct from Electrical and Computer Engineering.

buffbus
Nov 19, 2012

Fame Douglas posted:

Computer Engineering isn't a specialized form of Electrical Engineering at all, what the hell. More applied mathematics.

I suspect it depends on the school and more so the time period. Computer engineering was absolutely electrical engineering with like 15% of classes changed in 2000. Computer science however is different and mostly programming.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
When I did comp eng we took more programming courses while the EEs took more thermodynamics, but there was still a bit of overlap in both. Very very similar overall.

A lot of comp engs realized in 3rd year they had enough Compsci credits to get a degree in that and peace’d out then.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
My brain replaced the word "engineering" with "science", so my bad

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
Aren't all these things essentially applied physics? :smug:

Actually, the problem of induction says there is no necessary connection between relations of ideas and matters of fact, so aren't all these things essentially applied philosophy? :smug: :smug:

No? Oh, that makes sense, yeah, I'll shut up now.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
What your degree is also doesn't necessarily mean you're an expert. I know one person who has an EE degree but did plenty of CS, and his EE focus is all about embedded systems and sensor gizmos, not AC/DC power systems. He knows less about PC PSUs than I do (because he don't really give a poo poo about PC hardware).

When I was saying:

Klyith posted:

So two actual electrical engineers who know their poo poo say it's hosed, but have different hunches for why it's hosed. Steve & Patrick aren't engineers
I was talking more about being a professional in the field, not what degree someone might have.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Klyith posted:

I was talking more about being a professional in the field, not what degree someone might have.

Totally fair, I just pointed it out to be honest about what Patrick’s background was. Having a CE degree doesn’t make him an expert on PSU design, absolutely.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Having a CE degree can also mean you don't know poo poo about poo poo!

...don't ask me how I know

buffbus
Nov 19, 2012

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

This but technical degrees in general. They are a foundation but there is a ton to learn afterwards.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

buffbus posted:

This but technical degrees in general. They are a foundation but there is a ton to learn afterwards.

The way I had CE degrees explained back when I was in school (2006) was that a Bachelor's is worthless because by the time you're finished what you learned is mostly out of date :shrug:

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

let the anger flow through your salt beef filling
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKzmYsySGFQ

Oh wow, Linus did a video with Verge PC build guy. Good on him. That original video should have never been published, but was clearly the result of a breakdown in communication and line management between the dude, managing editors, and production staff/video editors, all on an unreasonable deadline.

He goes into how he dealt with the backlash too, which sounds like bad advice from his employers and his employers' legal team.

Linus is super reflective and reasonable about how that stuff can happen in video production (presenting to camera is scary, stressful, and can push your brain to do all kinds of stupid poo poo - you rely on the person in the editing booth to present you in a good light) and why it was wrong for tech youtubers to just crucify this guy's career.

Just impressed with how... grown up the whole thing is?

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Linus is a man with three children. Most YouTube people are manchildren.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
also, i don't know if i like the dude's personality (very, idk, new media in a way that i find a little insincere and don't like somehow?) but the backlash he got was harsh and it genuinely does sound like he got dicked around by the production team. i mean gently caress i've fried some components in my day who am i to judge really, but that it spawned about a trillion youtube reactions felt like an overreaction.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

The Grumbles posted:

and why it was wrong for tech youtubers to just crucify this guy's career.

Is it wrong for GN to put a clip of gigabyte PSUs blowing up into every video they've made for the last month? I'm sure there are some totally nice people getting fired from Gigabyte right now, because the company is staring at a giant loss coming up. A bunch of them probably have nothing to do with the PSUs. Stop crucifying Gigabyte!

The guy didn't deserve what happened to him, but that's on the Verge for running a lovely high-pressure content farm operation, escalating to DCMA strikes, and then throwing him off the back of the sled to the wolves when the heat got too high. That's where like 90% of the blame should be laid, and the other 10% is on the internet shitheads who buzz around like vile flies to unload nasty harassment on the weak target of the month. Those people absolutely suck. But saying youtubers are responsible for harassment because of those shitheads is both wrong, and only amplifies the results.

His employer destroyed his career, full stop.

IMO blaming tech youtubers for the results is carrying water for Vox Media, a lovely company which at the time was also fighting against their employees unionizing and doing a "work for exposure not pay" trick with their sports websites. They are the ones that fired the guy. Not youtubers. gently caress that and gently caress Vox.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
a lot of people went way overboard with mocking him (it was fun to poke some jabs at it, sure, but a little ridiculous how far it went) and there was definitely a little bit of the ol' gamer racism in some of it.

And yeah I've forgotten the IO shield all the loving time on my old builds, thank god that decent motherboards have it already built in

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

well why not posted:

Linus is a man with three children. Most YouTube people are manchildren.

A lot of YouTube manchildren are raising children.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
lollin that it's almost got as many views as yesterday's content where he builds with an NBA superstar

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

the verge was wrong to release a video that made their employee look dumb, youtubers were wrong to poo poo on the guy endlessly, and gamers were wrong (just in general).

Also, I don't have an IO shield on my PC, hail satan who gives a poo poo.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
i did not realize you need an all metal enclosure case for IO shields to do anything at all lmao

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

CoolCab posted:

lollin that it's almost got as many views as yesterday's content where he builds with an NBA superstar

Linus Tech Tip and NBA viewers have a big overlap

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I just didn't put in the I/O shield at all the last time I assembled this rig

I feel like the next time I'm going to change boards I'm going to get a nice one where the I/O section is already a solid block

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I remember when IO shields had razor sharp edges and would fuckin cut you bad. Course back in the day practically every edge on a pc case were goddamn lethal.

I just read up on this Verge thing and yeah, it sucks they let someone so poorly qualified embarrass himself like that. How could he not know he was doing a poo poo job at it though, c’mon.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I think it was Bitwit that did their Verge reaction video with the guy making a stereotypical Asian voice the whole time like a bad cumtown bit

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

CoolCab posted:

i did not realize you need an all metal enclosure case for IO shields to do anything at all lmao

I mean, they probably keep out some amount of dust.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

CoolCab posted:

At this point they're more dust shields than anything else. If you have a negative pressure case and forget the IO shield, your mobo ports will be covered by a huge dust monster.

(Or even neutral pressure, since cases tend to have exhaust in that area which would generate locally negative / inwards air movement.)

gradenko_2000 posted:

I think it was Bitwit that did their Verge reaction video with the guy making a stereotypical Asian voice the whole time like a bad cumtown bit

And also made a joke calling him Steve Urkel, which was the most plausibly racist thing said by the youtubers making videos about it.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Klyith posted:

Is it wrong for GN to put a clip of gigabyte PSUs blowing up into every video they've made for the last month? I'm sure there are some totally nice people getting fired from Gigabyte right now, because the company is staring at a giant loss coming up. A bunch of them probably have nothing to do with the PSUs. Stop crucifying Gigabyte!

The guy didn't deserve what happened to him, but that's on the Verge for running a lovely high-pressure content farm operation, escalating to DCMA strikes, and then throwing him off the back of the sled to the wolves when the heat got too high. That's where like 90% of the blame should be laid, and the other 10% is on the internet shitheads who buzz around like vile flies to unload nasty harassment on the weak target of the month. Those people absolutely suck. But saying youtubers are responsible for harassment because of those shitheads is both wrong, and only amplifies the results.

His employer destroyed his career, full stop.

IMO blaming tech youtubers for the results is carrying water for Vox Media, a lovely company which at the time was also fighting against their employees unionizing and doing a "work for exposure not pay" trick with their sports websites. They are the ones that fired the guy. Not youtubers. gently caress that and gently caress Vox.

I mean in my post I clearly blamed his employer. I've done editorial work before and it's absolutely the responsibility of the editors above you to step in when they think you're going to publish something seriously stupid, which is incredibly easy for you to do as a .

But also, it's completely obviously a shameful indictment of the youtube outrage industrial complex and the material effect it has on people's lives. The GN PSU thing isn't targeted harrasment of an individual, and is trying to stand up for customers in a meaningful way. Contrast with this, where youtubers were being shitheads behind an incredibly flimsy smokescreen of "but if someone follows this guide something bad might happen so we are protecting people", stoking up their already lovely audiences. If all those reaction videos were about the Verge, I'd agree with you. But they obviously weren''t.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
The IO shield also makes plugging things in blindly easier. Just make it the first thing you put into your PC, then you're golden. Really not hard. Spending extra on a mobo that doesn't have an IO shield seems like a waste.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Fame Douglas posted:

The IO shield also makes plugging things in blindly easier. Just make it the first thing you put into your PC, then you're golden. Really not hard. Spending extra on a mobo that doesn't have an IO shield seems like a waste.

Got a new motherboard recently and probably my favourite thing about it is it has a nice quality io shield built directly onto the board itself. It's all flush with the various ports.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
But not with the case, I assume.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Fame Douglas posted:

But not with the case, I assume.

What? Of course it is.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Does it snap into the case like a regular IO shield? Otherwise, that doesn't seem possible.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

It doesn't have to snap in to be flush. I have a motherboard with a built-in IO shield too (most decent mobos come with one now) and it fits in very snugly.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Klyith posted:

Absolutely not wrong.

They’re trying to force their hand to stop being so lovely.

GN (correctly) clearly believes these PSUs pose a genuine risk of starting an actual fire, which could easily result in loss of life or the total loss of someone’s home.

It’s abhorrent that gigabyte is handing it the way they are. Look at GN’s coverage of the fractal case. One video and done, no more mention. GN clearly feels this is their responsibility to force gigabyte to properly recall this product, and I’m absolutely positive if gigabyte had done the right thing after the first piece they would have dropped it already.

IMO they should continue until gigabyte does the right thing.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
The Verge was and is garbage, but Stefan also deserves plenty of blame. You can wing poo poo to a certain degree, but if you can't tell zip ties from tweezers, you should know that you have no business telling people how to build a computer.

He could have used the infamy as an opportunity to bail from his job, take ownership of the mess and parlay his fame into something more positive, but I mean... if you're the sort of person who winds up working as a host for The Verge doing amazingly bad tutorials, you probably don't have many people around you giving good advice. The more bad decisions you make, the easier it is to keep making bad decisions. I'm glad he's finally got an opportunity to move on from being a walking meme, but let's not pretend that video was any less bad than it was.

On the whole, I think the best thing people can take away from it is that video "experts" rarely have any clue what the gently caress they're talking about, their actual profession is "host" and the confidence is part of the job, not something that's warranted by their knowledge. If you were an expert in every field, the vast majority of videos on youtube purporting to supply knowledge would be just as transparently awful. Go watch some videos related to your career, I bet you want to blow your loving brains out 45 seconds in to most of them. That video got exposed hard because the audience likely to watch a "how to build a PC" video tends to primarily be people who already know in detail how to build a PC.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Klyith posted:

And also made a joke calling him Steve Urkel, which was the most plausibly racist thing said by the youtubers making videos about it.

How is that racist? Genuine question.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buffbus
Nov 19, 2012

cage-free egghead posted:

How is that racist? Genuine question.

Just because the character's race is a factor in the identity. The overt 90s nerd stereotype is a larger factor IMO which does diminish the race aspect. Still very mildly racist but pales in comparison to the Asian racism in the same video.