Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
My request is vague and highly subjective but: can anyone recommended some really 'stylized' crime films? Things that I enjoyed that come to mind: Drive, Thief, Manhunter, Nightcrawler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Zurtilik posted:

My request is vague and highly subjective but: can anyone recommended some really 'stylized' crime films? Things that I enjoyed that come to mind: Drive, Thief, Manhunter, Nightcrawler.

PTU, The Mission, Exiled, Running Out of Time, Sparrow, The Longest Nite

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Zurtilik posted:

Point Blank, Spring Breakers, Only God Forgives, Collateral + Miami Vice + Public Enemy (very specific "style" but absolutely stylized), Mauvais Sang, Fallen Angels

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Maybe dig into De Palma too, Blow Out is a good place to start.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
How about To Live and Die in LA (the plate printing montage is :kiss:), and Belly?

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Zurtilik posted:

I don't think you can get more stylized than Seijun Suzuki. Check out Branded to Kill and Tokyo Drifter, probably the best yakuza films ever made.

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST
Jul 19, 2006

mea culpa

Zurtilik posted:

On top of the other suggestions, I'd add City of God, Consequences of Love, Killing Them Softly, La Haine, King of New York.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Zurtilik posted:

Just in case, on the 0.03% chance they haven't been seen yet: The Killer (1989), Scarface (1983)

A bit of a different genre, being a dark comedy romp, but Into The Night (85) is cool. Also Repo Man (1984), well, there are crimes involved. Blue Velvet and Wild at Heart. Infernal Affairs of course. Romeo is Bleeding, Red Rock West, Salvador (more for the Nightcrawler connection).

Also, since we're talking Michael Mann, the TV show Miami Vice has a lot of terrific episodes. And that slick style definitely is in keeping with those movies. The pilot, The Home Invaders (Abel Ferrara), Evan, and Out Where the Buses Don't Run are a few great watches.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Aug 23, 2021

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia

Samuel Clemens posted:

I don't think you can get more stylized than Seijun Suzuki. Check out Branded to Kill and Tokyo Drifter, probably the best yakuza films ever made.

Oh hell! I saw Tokyo Drifter several years ago with my brother. Good stuff!

Thanks for all the suggestions y'all. I'll take a peek at them sooner or later. Maybe I'll go mad with movies on Labor Day Weekend.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

If you're already attuned to Suzuki's particular brand of weirdness, I strongly recommend Pistol Opera, which is his late-career masterpiece. Fair warning though, it's stylized to the point of incomprehensibility.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Are there any good movies about Native Americans or Inuits that take place pre-European contact? I'm thinking something along the lines of Apocalypto or The Dead Lands but for North America, though not necessarily that genre-y.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

feedmyleg posted:

Are there any good movies about Native Americans or Inuits that take place pre-European contact? I'm thinking something along the lines of Apocalypto or The Dead Lands but for North America, though not necessarily that genre-y.

There's Rapa Nui, but that takes place on Easter Island so I'm not really answering your question with that one....Also, I've never seen it so I can't vouch for its quality.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

I get into the mood for horror about once a year and that time is now. Looking for something similar to Jacob's Ladder, In the Mouth of Madness, The Empty Man, The Tenant, Repulsion. Reality crumbling, protagonist going insane, that's the vibe I'm looking for. When done right, the viewer is put in the same situation as the protagonist where they're struggling to make sense of everything as well. Inland Empire does this too I guess but I didn't like that one. Maybe I need to give it another try.

Thanks!

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Possession.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

feedmyleg posted:

Possession.

This!

A second suggestion would be Possessor (2020).

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?

JustWatch has at least 4 movies by that name. Do you know the year?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
1981, starring Sam Neill and Isabelle Adjani.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Thanks!

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

feedmyleg posted:

Atanarjuat: The Fast Runner (2001) is set before European contact in the Eastern Artctic and is fantastic. Also the first film written, directed and acted in Inuktitut.

The Snow Walker (2003) is set in the 1950s so very post-contact but is brilliant at putting you into the Arctic landscape and showing how well the Inuit girl who is one of the two focal characters understands it.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

regulargonzalez posted:

I get into the mood for horror about once a year and that time is now. Looking for something similar to Jacob's Ladder, In the Mouth of Madness, The Empty Man, The Tenant, Repulsion. Reality crumbling, protagonist going insane, that's the vibe I'm looking for. When done right, the viewer is put in the same situation as the protagonist where they're struggling to make sense of everything as well. Inland Empire does this too I guess but I didn't like that one. Maybe I need to give it another try.

Thanks!

Videodrome

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

regulargonzalez posted:

Thanks!

The Beyond (1981)

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

EmptyVessel posted:

Atanarjuat: The Fast Runner (2001) is set before European contact in the Eastern Artctic and is fantastic. Also the first film written, directed and acted in Inuktitut.

The Snow Walker (2003) is set in the 1950s so very post-contact but is brilliant at putting you into the Arctic landscape and showing how well the Inuit girl who is one of the two focal characters understands it.

Awesome, adding to the list thanks!

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

regulargonzalez posted:

Thanks!

Sounds like the movie "Malignant' coming out in theaters and HBO Max on Friday fits that profile.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Watched Possession. That's a movie that really goes for it. I was confused for the first 20 minutes or so, since I had asked for a horror movie and it wasn't. I'm still not sure if it is but it probably is by any reasonable standard. It's like Scenes from a Marriage meets Repulsion meets Persona, as told by Lovecraft. But somehow didn't entirely work for me. I thought it was good, and definitely interesting.

And Isabelle Adjani... hell of a performance. And just stupidly gorgeous in that ethereal, French way. Like Julie Delpy and Sophie Marceau.

Thanks for the rec!

ParisFascistWeek
Jan 26, 2021
I would recommend 2 movies: Dancer in the Dark (2001) with Björk and Lars Von Trier and Enchanted with Amy Adams and Patrick Dempsey. I can't remember what year that enchanted one came out but it's sometime around 2007-2008. They are both musicals with a twist and they're both done really well. I know one is Disney but to be honest I think it's the funniest and most charming Disney movie to date. Dancer in the Dark is the complete opposite. I sobbed at the end of that movie. Anyway, if u need recommendations I would just go to letterboxd and watch anything over 3.5 stars.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

regulargonzalez posted:

Thanks!

Check out some Kyoshi Kurosawa films, esp Pulse and Cure

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

ParisFascistWeek posted:

I would recommend 2 movies: Dancer in the Dark (2001) with Björk and Lars Von Trier and Enchanted with Amy Adams and Patrick Dempsey. I can't remember what year that enchanted one came out but it's sometime around 2007-2008. They are both musicals with a twist and they're both done really well. I know one is Disney but to be honest I think it's the funniest and most charming Disney movie to date. Dancer in the Dark is the complete opposite. I sobbed at the end of that movie. Anyway, if u need recommendations I would just go to letterboxd and watch anything over 3.5 stars.

I HATE Dancer In The Dark, and I don't think it fits the brief OP is looking for. It's not about someone losing track of reality (oh, how about A Scanner Darkly?), but about somneone being incredibly horrible to another person. Goddamn, I hate Lars von Trier.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Looking for movies or tv shows where an aged CEO-emeritus type is being pushed out due to age or being "out of touch" but outmaneuvers the opposition. Think Anthony Hopkins in Westworld S1 or Brian Cox in Succession

E: or if there's a TVTropes page for this please link it

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Tron Legacy

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

regulargonzalez posted:

Looking for movies or tv shows where an aged CEO-emeritus type is being pushed out due to age or being "out of touch" but outmaneuvers the opposition. Think Anthony Hopkins in Westworld S1 or Brian Cox in Succession

Succession

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

regulargonzalez posted:

Arbitrage (2012) has that setup, although with that caveat that I don't remember whether he outmanoeuvres the opposition in the end as it's been years since I saw it

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

regulargonzalez posted:

Robocop.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
The Devil Wears Prada

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

regulargonzalez posted:

at least two characters in Game of Thrones. CEOs are modern day Lords, so it fits

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Entourage

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Looking for dark/bleak/sad movies set in the American South/Appalachia

Some of the stuff I've seen and am looking for similar vibes:

Blue Ruin
True Detective Season 1
Out Of the Furnace
Gummo
Hell or High Water

Neo-westerns are ok but I'm trying to avoid traditional westerns

Prince Turveydrop
May 12, 2001

He was a veray parfit gentil knight.
Winter's Bone

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem
Not as dark as the stuff you’ve mentioned, but you might try some of the earlier David Gordon Green films. In particular, Undertow would be a good choice. George Washington has elements you might like, but it’s more sad and weird than dark.

You should watch All the Real Girls too even though it is not a good fit in any way other than setting because it is wonderful and I love it.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Might like Night of the Hunter, too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

Kvlt! posted:

Looking for dark/bleak/sad movies set in the American South/Appalachia

Some of the stuff I've seen and am looking for similar vibes:

Blue Ruin
True Detective Season 1
Out Of the Furnace
Gummo
Hell or High Water

Neo-westerns are ok but I'm trying to avoid traditional westerns

Obvious suggestions are Sicario and No Country for Old Men.

Paris, Texas isn't like those at all, but it's real good.