Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

10k is an odd one, because they do make good analysis of posting, but the Owen Jones episode was deeply weird because they kept asking questions and then going on huge, long answers themselves and barely involving Jones at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

some plague rats posted:

Listening to MoOD without actually having watched Seinfeld is absolute sicko behaviour

I was a baby when it finished it's last season. I'm not a fan of sitcoms in general, either

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Farecoal posted:

I was a baby when it finished it's last season. I'm not a fan of sitcoms in general, either

Then why would you listen to a podcast about it

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

some plague rats posted:

Then why would you listen to a podcast about it

:yosbutt:

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

:hmmyes:

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Farecoal posted:

Masters of Our Domain: It's okay, I think? I've never watched Seinfeld so maybe it would be better if I had. Milo is pretty good, not a big fan of Phoebe. Especially in the 2nd or 3rd episode it seemed like half the jokes she made were making fun of "woke" language, which I guess would be on brand for Jerry Seinfeld.

Farecoal posted:

This is the most hosed thing I've ever read.

Yuran M. Bazil
Jun 20, 2008

I've also never seen Seinfeld on account being 5 when it finished and it was never as popular here in the UK but I enjoy MOOD a lot tbh

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
https://twitter.com/wtyppod/status/1433932197355048961
Congrats on the successful live show Roz

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
I die a little inside everytime someone on TF of WTYP describes something as "soy" or "soyfacing"

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
Also why do they hate improv so much

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Like so many things in life, improv is fine if it's done well. But the vast bulk of it is not done well and is absolutely self-indulgent and embarrassing, and that seems to be what they're mocking.

Milo also seems to hate it with a passion and has occasionally brought it up on trashfuture.

Firstscion
Apr 11, 2008

Born Lucky

Milo hates everything but MILFs and his BWM with a passion

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
Updated thoughts: I unsubscribed to 10K Posts, it was just too much internecine poo poo. Bottlemen is okay, but it's a lot of concentrated Riley without any balancing joker hosts. I'm actually really enjoying MoOD! Maybe I just like people relaying random anecdotes, idk. They do usually say some annoyingly dumb poo poo at least once per episode though, like talking about dating and doing "Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus" level riffs. And they apparently unironically believe the CIA killed JFK, so that's cool!!

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

some plague rats posted:

Okay so specifically: WTYP doesn't work because you've got donoteat going patiently through some disaster while Alice and the other guy shout jokes at him, and it's like watching someone try to build a wall while being pelted with baseballs. It would be a much better podcast if it was just him talking, especially because the other guy whose name I refuse to remember is just painfully unfunny.

He's clearly having a fun time with it too. The brass commentary over disaster descriptions works really well imo. It's an oddball podcast. Roz is a Midwestern engineer just trying to do a well researched powerpoint presentation on structural disasters to an audience of Alice has a wine mom wit and LIAM who is bottled aggression.

Like how can ya hate a show that introduces itself as "a podcast with slides". It's ridiculous & great for it.

How can ya not love these dorks. Congrats on the show Roz, it was good fun.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Farecoal posted:

Updated thoughts: I unsubscribed to 10K Posts, it was just too much internecine poo poo. Bottlemen is okay, but it's a lot of concentrated Riley without any balancing joker hosts. I'm actually really enjoying MoOD! Maybe I just like people relaying random anecdotes, idk. They do usually say some annoyingly dumb poo poo at least once per episode though, like talking about dating and doing "Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus" level riffs. And they apparently unironically believe the CIA killed JFK, so that's cool!!

Unironically, the CIA killed JFK.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
the CIA probably killed JFK in the same way you say any political figure 'did' any tragedy that happened under them, they probably had no actual hand in the action itself but through either cartoonish ineptitude or much more realistic apathy on the topic they did nothing to stop it as it barreled closer and closer, and were incredibly eager to exploit the fallout for personal gain. Like, yea, Oswald shot Kenney, that was not good, but there were people at play who continue to actively profit and benefit from that and I think if we're talking about 'who did what' that conversation is a lot more important than just 'who pulled the trigger'.

Also unironically HW Bush probably like...knew what was going down, he probably didn't make it happen but he knew what was coming.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

I mean I’m not saying they did it (I’m firmly in the “JFK got domed by a hungover secret service agent who had a negligent discharge caused by standing up in a moving vehicle” camp) but the CIA actually did have very real, concrete, and specific motivation for wanting johnny K dead

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea tbh the one genuine 'Oswald did not put a bullet inside Kennedy's brain' thing I kinda half believe is the secret service one because it actually does sync up and yea no poo poo the government will never admit that 'lol woopsie doopsie we accidentally noscoped the president'.

But yea the 'the CIA killed Kennedy' is really more 'the CIA was very happy Kennedy died and if they knew something was happening that'd put him in danger at the time they probably would have rather not acted on it'.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

I hope this John Taliban gimmick keeps going

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

https://tenthousandposts.podbean.com/e/something-awful-this-way-comes-ft-nate-bethea/

quote:

Something Awful This Way Comes ft. Nate Bethea

This week, Nate (@inthesedeserts) comes back on the Posts Pod to tell us about some internet history, and this little forum you might have heard of called "Something Awful". Following the death of Something Awful's founder, "Lowtax", Nate tells us how the forums shaped much of contemporary internet culture, ranging from terms like 'doxxing' and the ubiquity of trolls, to Lolcats, gifs, and uh, a lot of racism and Nazi insignia. But, it did also give us Dril, so who's to say if it was good or bad???

Sempai has noticed us.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

'throwback is the most generous way you could describe it today'

Well gently caress you too buddy!!

Moon LLC
Mar 27, 2010
I was trying to confirm it was the same Nate between these cause I just kind of listen and it’s funny to think of them all as under the Nate umbrella.

I understand basically all the critiques but if you can’t enjoy the TF Kier Starmer AI ep or tbh most of KJB then it’s not for you. Which is fine.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
Its incredibly hosed up that Jeremy vine is on this podcast. These are two spheres that never should of intersected.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Vagabong posted:

Its incredibly hosed up that Jeremy vine is on this podcast. These are two spheres that never should of intersected.

Until the moment Vine spoke I was genuinely expecting Milo to be doing a bit for a whole episode and was weighing up whether that would be hilarious or a Bit Too Far. It was actually rather nice to hear Vine openly talk about the people who call in being batshit, I've tended to be rather hard on him for being too indulgent but it's given me a rosier view of his conduct.

Also him talking about the times where the story/music segues went awry was great.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
as a non-brit I really dug that episode too. I think I picked up a bit about Vine through general osmosis (and probably seeing clips of him without realizing it) so I wasn't completely lost and yea hearing a dude with his job be actually quite open about the weirder/more annoying parts of his job mixed with genuinely funny poo poo like segues loving up and all was really fun.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Vine is a weird one for non brits to contextualise, it's sort of like a morning phone-in show, but with elements of Springer / Dr Phil tabloid baiting, and also whereas Springer's ultimate moral message is usually 'learn from these people's mistakes and be kind to each other,' Vine's is more of a right-leaning 'this country is going to the dogs and we all need to toughen up / stop doing ridiculous things like [topic of the day].'

Also weird how often it'll swing from the thing ruining Britain being pedophile gangs or police underfunding one day, and the next it's light up trainers or fidget spinners.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Vine is a weird one for non brits to contextualise, it's sort of like a morning phone-in show, but with elements of Springer / Dr Phil tabloid baiting, and also whereas Springer's ultimate moral message is usually 'learn from these people's mistakes and be kind to each other,' Vine's is more of a right-leaning 'this country is going to the dogs and we all need to toughen up / stop doing ridiculous things like [topic of the day].'

Also weird how often it'll swing from the thing ruining Britain being pedophile gangs or police underfunding one day, and the next it's light up trainers or fidget spinners.

I will say I think you have a very kind view of Springer/Phil if you think we're meant to take compassion from their shows, I think we just share a cultural freak show point of reference with them and Vine, though it sounds like Vine is more political/cultural based than 'MY DAUGHTER hosed MY NEW HUSBAND???????????' so...I guess that's a point.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Dr. Phil I've only seen clips on facebook and he seems like a small-minded pleb goader, lecturing people.

Springer at least takes the opportunity to say at the end of the episode to "be kind to each other, and yourselves." The difference is that with Springer it's generally the guests calling each other a piece of poo poo, whereas with Dr. Phil it's the host calling the guest a piece of poo poo.

Vine is somewhere along that spectrum, absolutely knowing that most of his guests are going to make the callers piss boil (which is why he has Owen Jones on so much), and that the angry callers are going to make some great TV while he sits back and pretends to be above it all.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Roz's voice on the latest WTYP is perfection. The way he says "I am recovering from the novel coronavirus" alone... :allears:

Sylvian Wastes
Jan 3, 2022

by Hand Knit

Serperoth posted:

Roz's voice on the latest WTYP is perfection. The way he says "I am recovering from the novel coronavirus" alone... :allears:

Roz sounds like a little old granny.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

https://twitter.com/Milo_Edwards/status/1571164728017264650?t=RbC9IkiI7eJtKZo6kptSWw&s=19

This should be interesting.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/GrittyMoSports/status/1581034865138749440?t=Sszvom84PpHfH5_JbsSxTQ&s=19

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

A few times a day, my brain will remind me of the name "Barnabas Borbly" and I am beginning to wonder if I will ever know peace again.

Marshal Plugnut
Aug 16, 2005

The code to the exit is 1125

That's Brigadier Barnabas Borblebly I'll have you know

Kerrek
Dec 17, 2004
Had a joyful moment going through their back catalogue and hearing Tenerife, where Roz says they're introducing a new current events bit and at the end goes "well that was the goddamn news, now what should we call this segment?"

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
https://twitter.com/notliamanders0n/status/1626677653892653082?t=X7Xu8tPOI-nVGMA6naIU1A&s=19
Just need to photoshop Alice in

Firstscion
Apr 11, 2008

Born Lucky

https://twitter.com/itsrosaflorence/status/1626715915269337088?s=20

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020
the best joke on KJB was in the first minute of the first installment when Alice called him "James Bond, Senior" and then never made any allusion to the syndicated IP shovelware cartoon James Bond, Jr, ever again.

also pretty cringe for those guys to pose with JK Rowling like that

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
I like Justin's cats, Milkshake and Pizza Boy. That is all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

overeager overeater
Oct 16, 2011

"The cosmonauts were transfixed with wonderment as the sun set - over the Earth - there lucklessly, untethered Comrade Todd on fire."

WTYP dowsing bonus episode: I'd read about the bomb "detectors" before, but I completely forgot about the bespoke circuitry made by gluing dead ants to paper

I think it most likely was him having a laugh, because the alternative explanation would be him trying to make something that looked like a circuit board, but doing that in a heroic effort to make a cover more likely to get you found out, instead of just clipping off bits of waste electronics or taking a 10 minute class in wiring a bulb to a battery

Just reminds me of the character in Papers Please who keeps showing up to the border checkpoint with homemade passports done in crayon

overeager overeater fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Apr 2, 2023