Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Judge Tesla posted:

Well it is literally the Fusion Suit but slightly more armoured.

Yeah I was never a big fan of the Fusion Suit. The Varia Suit is perfection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

AM2R trip report, like one hour in: compulsively traveling over and bombing every single surface with the Spider Ball, just in case. Movement and control feel really tight and good in general. This game slaps.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

a bulkier suit wouldn't look as good with all the fast acrobatics Samus is doing, that's why the Fusion suit existed in the first place.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The Fusion suit exists because the OG GBA screen sucks rear end and they needed to paint Samus in iridescent colours in order to make her visible.

It's the same reason Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance has neon Batman Forever highlights everywhere.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Basic blue fusion suit is great. Let us not speak of the varia fusion suit.

I really like the look of the presumably gravity suit in the Dread trailer. It's cool that they're both changing the color and the shape to a degree. I wonder if we will see something as wild as the light or dark suits.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Junkie Disease posted:

Make even more amiibo for Metroid cowards!
I need that Chozo on my desk or nudes of Spider-man by noon sharp or your fired Parker!

Every day I regret not buying the squishy Metroid when it was cheaply available.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
What is a Metroid, other than a space jellyfish energy vampire?

If an X parasite can be Samus and a Metroid can be Samus, what is Samus?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Owo6lrEhsdw

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Downloaded Fusion onto my 3DS so I can prepare for Dread. Thanks 3DS Ambassador Program from 2011.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

chumbler posted:

Basic blue fusion suit is great. Let us not speak of the varia fusion suit.

I really like the look of the presumably gravity suit in the Dread trailer. It's cool that they're both changing the color and the shape to a degree. I wonder if we will see something as wild as the light or dark suits.

If nothing else, you have to give Mercury Steam credit for making badass suit designs, and for taking the extra step with their Gravity Suits and not just doing "Varia but purple".

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

TaurusOxford posted:

If nothing else, you have to give Mercury Steam credit for making badass suit designs, and for taking the extra step with their Gravity Suits and not just doing "Varia but purple".

Being frank the thing I enjoy most about Mercury Steam's take with Metroid is that their artist just gets Metroid, I think. In terms of art direction I think both Samus Returns and now Dread match up to the Prime games in spades.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

stev posted:

Every day I regret not buying the squishy Metroid when it was cheaply available.

It's terrific

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Super Jay Mann posted:

You think you want this.

You obviously haven't played Other M

Let me inform you that you do not want this.

(If I'm being whooshed I regret nothing)

No I've played other M. That's just ridley again. I want a new baby terror rabbit dragon that's cool and hangs out and sacrifices itself to give Samus's suit a ridley themed super mode.

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

Now it's time to get into the really good titles in this series with no caveats, time to talk about Super Metroid!

This game certainly needs no introduction and no excuse to replay it pretty much ever, and for this playthrough I decided to use the Control Freak romhack which makes Super Metroid's controls more akin to Fusion's with the shoulder button used to toggle alt fire, and the de-select button used to operate the X-Ray Scope, fixing one of my minor complaints with Super in how I, a mostly casual player of it, didn't like some of the control quirks.

With that said, Super Metroid is still a complete masterclass in game design and I had no problem blazing through in about 2-3 play sessions, nearly getting 100% bar a couple of Power Bomb tanks I forgot about. The music is hella atmospheric, the graphics are superb in SNES pixel art, the power ups are fun to use (Except for the Grapple Beam which is massively clunky, another gripe of mine), the major bosses are all memorable in their own right, with minor ones like Botwoon unfortunately being extremely generic and more of a time waster, and the narrative culmination at the end is the first time Metroid really gets over how it can be a lot more than a gameplay blast without slowing down the pace..

To name one or two more criticisms I have of the game, in Maridia the game introduces invisible walls that you can simply walk through to find extra goodies or progression, and thankfully can all be x-ray'd to find them, but unfortunately this does not apply to the one in Norfair which allows a shortcut out of Ridley's lair, which is not cool. The second one, which has been pointed out before, is that the save room in lower Tourian locking you out of going back from 100% just kinda sucks. Other than that though, Super Metroid is where the series really develops into the excellence that Metroid is known for, and still a game I can play any time and enjoy a ton.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TYlclnfIZA

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

The Metroid Queen in AM2R is kicking my rear end. I really enjoy that you are this totally unstoppable juggernaut by the end, but the Omegas still dent you and the Queen is a whole other level. Really drives home that these really are insanely dangerous, galaxy-threatening creatures in a way the cute little headsucker version just never seemed to be.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
I love the fact that ghosts exist in Metroid, which makes you consider, what if a metroid became a ghost? What then?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWFicKAs_rk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nn2MXwplMZA

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

You know what I want? Super Metroid with the QOL enhancements and visual/gameplay updates of AM2R. The game feels just outdated and stiff enough that I can never be arsed going back to it but I don't like the thought of it being completely remade.

Just a little refresh is all that game needs to be pretty much perfect in 2021.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

IMO all that Super Metroid really needs (if anything) is the control scheme that the Control Freak hack gives it to match Fusion/Zero Mission. So basically L on diagonal aiming, R on missiles, auto dash, that sort of thing. Plus I guess adding the feature that lets Samus turn a non-spinning jump into a spinning jump that's also from Fusion and Zero Mission. Everything else about the way the game plays holds up.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

I really need to sit down and play through Super at some point. I got into the series with Prime & Fusion, so the controls and physics of Super being different from the post-Fusion 2D games just make it a little harder for me to get into.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Super Metroid holds up and doesn't need to be remade and it's fine that some of the controls feel old - I like that pretty much every Metroid game has a very different feel to it, and they don't all need to be like the latest one.

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

Alright, time for another effort post, and this time I got a lot to say, cause it's the game that was my first 2D entry with Prime being my first one period, Metroid Fusion!

Metroid Fusion is the first Metroid game in over 8 years after Super Metroid since the N64 was deemed not optimal for a new Metroid title (and not the first time this would be the case as we'd see with Dread), and logic would dictate playing it safe with the first entry in 8+ years of absence. However, as Metroid proves time and again, playing it safe is never in its wheelhouse, and for this title, Metroid Fusion turns the winning formula of Super entirely on its head.

With the advancement in technology coming into the Gameboy Advance, Metroid Fusion tells a much more direct story than previous titles, a decision which is divisive to this day, but for me, it is absolutely well done by and large, keeping Samus as tough, but more introspective after her traumatic experience with the X Parasites, altering her physically in a sequence that gave me my most vivid nightmare as an 11 year old kid, and setting the stage for an adventure in the BSL Research Labs that has Samus more vulnerable than she's ever been in the series before. And that's even before you get into the horrifying abominations Samus finds the X Parasites morphing in, chief among them being her doppelganger, the SA-X, representing the very specter of her past out to kill her.

Indeed, in terms of difficulty, this is perhaps one of the harder entries in the 2D series in terms of challenge, enemies hitting you harder than they ever did in Super, and even with a 20 E-Tank cap compared to the usual 14 and defense upgrades, Samus never feels like she can take damage as well as she could before. With that said, despite her floatier wall jumps taken away, Samus feels more athletic in animation than she did in Super in a way I really like, and the control style feels very good for someone like me who isn't very technically oriented in these types of games. Progression, meanwhile, is more linear in terms of the story and events, but in the moment to moment gameplay, I feel Fusion does not get enough credit for how well it handles Metroid's formula despite the increased linearity. Exploration is still every bit as satisfying, and I found myself catching onto Fusion's tricks of how it pulled off most puzzles quickly, although one puzzle with the bomb tubes in Sector 6 was not exactly tickling my fancy.

The biggest thing I appreciate in Fusion, however, is the narrative itself and how it weaves Metroid's own themes into a unique survival horror experience, of how Samus is shackled down both by her loss of power and the loss of her agency to the Federation who seem intent on keeping her powered down through piecemeal upgrade deliveries, ones that the X Parasites continually tear down after you acquire them, only for Samus to regain other powers from the X that allow her to slip the leash the Federation tries to keep on her again and again. The reason I really don't have any issue with how linear Fusion is is because from the first visit to Sector 2 onwards, the game design continually starts to tear you off the revealed map and into areas that return to that series staple of dropping you into the unknown, with the added stress of a pursuer lurking beyond the horizon. It eventually comes to a head in the finale as Samus proves daring enough to risk it all for the sake of the galaxy to annihilate the X, with a climactic showdown against the very being that's chased her for the entire game before a big dramatic escape.

Metroid Fusion is my favorite 2D Metroid game, it always has been, and I think it would be remiss to try and steer anyone away from it when it does so much right and feels so unique among the series.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Metroid Fusion's linearity and focus on a bunch of text-based storytelling did feel like a step down after Super Metroid, but after the years have passed I think we can appreciate it for doing something different and laying the groundwork for the future of the series. Also it's not really appreciably more linear than Metroid II, and Other M basically being "Fusion, in 3D, but worse" has made it look better in retrospect.

Hakkesshu posted:

Super Metroid holds up and doesn't need to be remade and it's fine that some of the controls feel old - I like that pretty much every Metroid game has a very different feel to it, and they don't all need to be like the latest one.
The wall jump is hosed and should be fixed

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

The United States posted:

Metroid Fusion's linearity and focus on a bunch of text-based storytelling did feel like a step down after Super Metroid, but after the years have passed I think we can appreciate it for doing something different and laying the groundwork for the future of the series. Also it's not really appreciably more linear than Metroid II, and Other M basically being "Fusion, in 3D, but worse" has made it look better in retrospect.

I think having Prime as my first Metroid game really helped my perception of Fusion since I was more than receptive to reading the data logs in Prime, so going into Fusion and having the text in the 2D side was zero issue for me.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

What is a Metroid, other than a space jellyfish energy vampire?

According to Chozo, the Ultimate Warrior.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Fusion is a great example in tying the gameplay to the story. The enforced linearity while Samus is under the thumb of the federation. The federations plans going wrong, which allows Samus to access areas of the ship she's not supposed to be able to (green areas on the map), eventually leading to her to grab a power up she wasn't supposed to be able to get. Then eventually getting into the restricted section and discovering the secret metroids. Then when Adam finally becomes an ally, this coincides with the full ability to explore the research station. You don't even need to use the elevators to travel between sectors anymore, since there are secret passages connecting all of them. Freedom from the galactic federation's control and from the linearity of the game.

The wall jump is hosed and should be fixed

This is hosed up.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

Are we pro or anti randomisers in this thread because they're hella fun to watch, especially the insane combo of super metroid and zelda link to the past.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

I would be fully down with a procedurally-generated component of Metroid, a Spelunky-like or something like that, something that prioritizes exploration and sharp eyes even on the replays, rather than memorizing paths and item locations.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Muscle Tracer posted:

I would be fully down with a procedurally-generated component of Metroid, a Spelunky-like or something like that, something that prioritizes exploration and sharp eyes even on the replays, rather than memorizing paths and item locations.

It's not like SUPER good at randomizing things but that's A Robot Named Fight pretty much to a tee.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Also it's not really appreciably more linear than Metroid II, and Other M basically being "Fusion, in 3D, but worse" has made it look better in retrospect.
You can backtrack at almost any time in Metroid II, all the way back to your ship if you want. There's no real reason to do that since none of the hidden items are progression locked, but you still can if you did miss something.

Fusion regularly locks you in and out of different areas and there's at least one time during the game where you have one shot to get an missle or bomb expansion (I forget which) and if you miss it you can't get it until the very end of the game.

For the most part, Fusion makes good use of the scripted event system and the fact that you frequently can't go back the way you came and have to forge a new path fits within the game's MO of constantly making you feel uneasy. It is, though, a strictly more linear game than II because of it.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTiRBmo_Yik

ExcessBLarg! posted:

You can backtrack at almost any time in Metroid II, all the way back to your ship if you want. There's no real reason to do that since none of the hidden items are progression locked, but you still can if you did miss something.

Fusion regularly locks you in and out of different areas and there's at least one time during the game where you have one shot to get an missle or bomb expansion (I forget which) and if you miss it you can't get it until the very end of the game.
I mean in terms of the game linearly opening up one medium-sized area at a time (yes sometimes cutting you off from backtracking in Fusion, at least temporarily), so you're never too lost, until late in the game when you have access to everything. Fusion does cut you off more, that's true, but the areas you are free to run around in are generally large than Metroid II.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
Show me the venn diagram of people who say Fusion is too linear and also say Super's wall jumps are too hard.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Fusion works because it’s very linear but the path forward is obfuscated and the game is constantly toying with your expectations. The game will give you a seemingly straightforward objective but then throw a wrench in it and force you to go outside of the mapped areas of the station and you never know exactly what’s gonna happen next. It feels less like you’re being funneled down a straightforward path and more like you’re a rat in a maze.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rqZtd3bhVY

Bleck posted:

Show me the venn diagram of people who say Fusion is too linear and also say Super's wall jumps are too hard.
I don't think Fusion is too linear, I'm just saying that was the perception at the time, I didn't mind because it was a portable Metroid and I had different expectations for it because of that.

The wall jumps in Super are bullshit. Just compare them to any other game with wall jumps.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
Fusion also came out the same year as "Juste Belmont's Big Adventure" so it looked even more linear by comparison.

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

Time for the first of three remakes before Metroid Dread comes out, it's Metroid Zero Mission!

Metroid Zero Mission, despite being big into the Metroid series at the time (at a Christmas party, my cousin gave me Super Metroid and Link to the Past as a gift to take home, so I ended up enjoying those too with my next door neighbor), this one ended up passing me by while I focused on Metroid Prime 2: Echoes. Even so, I cannot deny the craft that went into revamping the former first title in the series, modernizing it to fit in with the rest.

Metroid Zero Mission is a game, I feel, is a title that is the very definition of Speedrunner's Delight, a game that has such technical polish in design, abilities, and control of those abilities that if you're a speedrunner, you can get a ton out of the game beyond your first playthrough. However, even on that first playthrough, I feel Zero Mission is a very welcoming title for a beginner just out to finish the game, one that has impeccable spritework and music for the GBA, with conveyance that is very player friendly but not too much so, a guidance that slowly eases off and becomes more and more optional as time goes on until disappearing entirely when you no longer need it.

The more advanced maneuvers, however, bring one of my personal gripes with the game, and this really only applies to me, that I think it can be a bit too demanding for 100%, and now's as good a time as any to say that I think the GBA titles and AM2R which is a GBA Metroid in all but system over use the Speed Booster and Shinespark for puzzle design, and while the Speed Booster is a very very cool power up, I don't like when it's the only puzzle and way to get around the areas. This, of course, comes down to my own personal tastes so don't take that as an objective criticism.

The other thing of note is the additional scenario after Mother Brain is defeated and the Tourian bomb is detonated, leaving Samus stranded to infiltrate Chozodia in the Zero Suit. This section actually is much more to my liking, and you can almost see how the EMMI has begun to manifest in Sakamoto's mind as you avoid detection from the Pirates in a desperate cat and mouse game, with traps and extra elements about to either aid or hinder Samus as she makes her way to the True Chozo Armor. The power rush afterwards, as well, is undeniably satisfying as you get your revenge, before it introduces the black Elites to rein you back in a bit. However, the fight with Mecha Ridley, and the boss fights in general, are probably one of Zero Mission's weakest points for me, pretty much all of them too weak to serve as more than a speed bump on the road to be satisfying.

With all that in mind, Zero Mission is still a fantastic time, and definitely one of the titles with Fusion I'd point to for trying to sink your teeth in on the Metroid series.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Bleck posted:

I love fusion but it does take me a bit to remember how to wall jump in super when i replay it -_-

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I just played through Super Metroid for the first time in a while. Back in the day I could beat it with 100% in under 3 hours. But it’s been a while and I got a little lost going from the power bombs to the grappling beam and then in Maridia I hosed up by getting sucked into quicksand. So I only got 93% in 3:22. Game is very intuitive for the most part, it tends to give subtle hints about where to go or how to do stuff. I might play Samus Returns between now and the release of Dread to get more hype. How was hard mode in that one? A horrible slog?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Hard mode in Returns is pretty annoying imo. The enemies already hit like trucks in normal mode, getting flicked by a bat and losing 2 energy tanks doesn’t feel great.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Maybe the Red Chozo had a point, you know?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eunPUddrMlc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Watching this after having been playing Samus Returns on the small 3DS screen is so good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOvefm5U250

Version without the voiceover:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmSctyvQwNY

ZeeBoi fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Sep 10, 2021