Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Momomo posted:

I basically never think to use Dust (2D not included, if anything I use that too much). it doesn't seem to combo from anything so it feels like it'd be opening myself up for getting hit. Am I missing something about using it, or is it meant to be pretty risky?

Yes, it's intentional that you can't combo into the launch and it's very unsafe on block. But in exchange it gives you a universal option to try and open people's guard up and get a fat chunk of damage if they aren't watching for it or don't react in time.
You throw it out in situations where your opponent is already forced to block like knockdowns and blockstrings, but you want to use it sparingly because if they start expecting and watching for it you'll get punished hard. Even if you only use it once in a set though, you're giving the enemy one extra thing to worry about and watch for on the defense, which takes their attention away from your other options and makes it harder for them to respond to everything.

Some characters have much less reason to use it than others. For example Goldlewis has an overhead that's only 1f slower than Dust but +12 on block instead of being -17 or whatever so he can kind of throw it out for free wherever and keep his turn/pressure even on block.

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Sep 5, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
You can combo into 5[D] off of counterhits but you won't get the huge launch combo. It's a universal high-risk high-reward option where some characters can do extra stuff with it. For example Zato can cover himself pretty well to make 5[D] safe and even uses 5D in combos.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Jack Trades posted:

It's risky but it's an overhead and gives you a fat 200 damage combo.

the downside is that is if you play against a decent opponent and they block it, it'll end your momentum at best, or have you eat a fat punish at worst.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
PAX top8 is going on. Cheer for my buddy Chris.
https://www.twitch.tv/paxarena

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Let's go Chris!

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Reiley posted:

Let's go Chris!

They won their first match, it's working!

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Momomo posted:

I basically never think to use Dust (2D not included, if anything I use that too much). it doesn't seem to combo from anything so it feels like it'd be opening myself up for getting hit. Am I missing something about using it, or is it meant to be pretty risky?

Standing dust isn't something you use much no. You can kind of sneak it in sometimes and it's easier to manage for some characters but you probably won't see it much in higher level play. Some characters can use uncharged dust to START a combo off of blue rc but it's still very situational. Sol uses it on some of his bandit revolver RC combos but that's not gonna lead to a launch combo.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
I am jacko take this 2k 2d to the shins!!!

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
I know if pot Blue RCs his garuda you then have to eat a 3-way buster/high/low mixup where (because of the brc slow) he can get a full combo off of an uncharged 5D

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

BRC will let you get a full combo from practically any hit.

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Hey, Johnny, what's a "shitpost"?
Decided to go deeper in Mission Mode this evening and this reversal backdash mission is loving awful. The game refuses to articulate what the timing is and if I hit the dash button at what feels like the same time every time it works like once out of every 4 times.

Edit: aha. In the grand tradition, whining about it online got it to work. I was pressing the button too late because it made no sense that I could backdash while May's feet weren't touching the ground. In general though these missions could really really loving use an indicator of whether I'm too early or too late.

It would also help if the tutorials that involved combos didn't so often force me to use Sol, a character I have never played with and never will.

Edit again: What the gently caress? You can recover from a wallsplat with a dash? What the gently caress?!

unimportantguy fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Sep 6, 2021

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

The reversal timing for anything is a pain in the rear end in Strive. I really wouldn't mind if they doubled the buffer for it.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
Speaking of wallsplats, is it normal for people to zip out of wallsplats and end up on the other side of you if you're too late on the followup?

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Yes you can hold a direction and launch yourself in that way if you recover from a wall splat without being hit. It’s fairly important that you can do that as otherwise it wouldn’t be worth it for some characters to break the wall unless they use super to maintain oki and they’d prefer to just let you recover in place and continue corner pressure

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
To clarify, when I say "zip" I don't mean anything remotely resembling an airdash, I mean people just reappearing on the "wrong" side.

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

unimportantguy posted:

Decided to go deeper in Mission Mode this evening and this reversal backdash mission is loving awful. The game refuses to articulate what the timing is and if I hit the dash button at what feels like the same time every time it works like once out of every 4 times.

Edit: aha. In the grand tradition, whining about it online got it to work. I was pressing the button too late because it made no sense that I could backdash while May's feet weren't touching the ground. In general though these missions could really really loving use an indicator of whether I'm too early or too late.

It would also help if the tutorials that involved combos didn't so often force me to use Sol, a character I have never played with and never will.

Edit again: What the gently caress? You can recover from a wallsplat with a dash? What the gently caress?!

To be honest, if I want to reversal backdash I just mash the dash button.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Speaking of wallsplats, is it normal for people to zip out of wallsplats and end up on the other side of you if you're too late on the followup?

Yes, it works like that on purpose to punish people for not breaking the wall.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
You can definitely still avoid breaking the wall to keep oki... you just have to learn specific non-wallbreak combos.
That mechanic just punishes you for autopiloting through one combo in every situation and not reacting to the wallsplat.

It has definitely bitten me before as Goldlewis -- some of his typhoons have so much recovery that if they cause wallsplat you can't recover in time to wallbreak and your opponent gets to tech for free.
Normally they don't wallsplat at that point in the combo but if you've gotten some hits in the corner already and done some wall damage it might gently caress it up for you.
I guess high level goldlewises need to learn some different corner combos for different initial levels of the (invisible) wallsplat meter :negative:

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

13-0

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Perfect 13gend

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

yeah, it's called a wall tech. you flash white and do a really quick jump in the direction you hold when you get wall-splatted and enemy doesn't hit you during the splat. it's explained in a relatively late mission. generally people who don't know about wall teching hold back when wall splatted and the tech you get when you do that... is not optimal, you're generally better off holding forward (which is the tech that causes the behavior you're seeing) and hoping they don't finish the wall break combo.

before beta people were speculating that not knocking people through the wall and continuing oki might be the best option for some characters, but wall-techs make it so splatted player can effectively reset to neutral if the wall splat state isn't confirmed.

Bruegels Fuckbooks fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Sep 6, 2021

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I've never played against must chipp since accent core but man, I am coming to realize what a goddamn nightmare he is for axl. One wrong button and I am completely hosed and praying to get a lucky 6k in during his pressure strings.

I mean if I miss a shot against most other players at 3/4 screen I can recover in time to do something to respond to the rushdown, but in chipp's case, his foot is squarely in my face as soon as the chain comes back.

Monaghan fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Sep 7, 2021

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

To defeat chipp, hit him

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Real hurthling! posted:

To defeat chipp, hit him

I'm trying, but I feel like I have to do hard reads all the time :(

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Chipp players tend to just keep hitting buttons cause they think its always their turn but its only almost always their turn you see

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
its up to the defender to make a chipp player think

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Chipp is the most miserable character in the game to play against and the only solace is being able to obliterate him off any clean hit

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNxXrPWD5kA

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Hey, Johnny, what's a "shitpost"?
I'm having a weird issue that I can't really explain and I'm wondering if anybody else is experiencing anything similar. Across multiple controllers lately, I'm getting noticeable misread inputs. I've had the game interpret K+S+H as H+D and 6D as 2K multiple times. I've had previous issues where I felt like the wrong dolphin came out but was willing to chalk those up to sloppy inputs on my part, until now. I'm completely mystified by this. Am I just going crazy? Or has anyone else noticed this?

unimportantguy fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Sep 8, 2021

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
Can't say I have, although sometimes in a match you can make a mistake and not realize at the time. Otherwise, it might be a controller issue.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

check your inputs in the replays and training mode!!!!

if you're on stick (or hitbox), depending on the buttons, it's very possible to press extra buttons by brushing against them. i get random gold burst all the time trying to hit H or D with my sloppy fingers 😔

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I switched from Sanwa to Seimitsu buttons exactly because I kept accidentally pressing buttons I didn't mean to press by resting my fingers on top of them.

hostess with the Moltres
May 15, 2013
I've been having fun with May but I'm trying to do some bnb combos which was a big thing that I was advised to do when I was doing Skullgirls get gr8. One thing I'm messing up on a lot is the AD in the cS 2h 2[8]h AD jk jd 623146h combo I found on Dustloop. Is there a specific trick to the timing of the airdash? I'm noticing that I'm doing the AD maybe 1/3 of the time. For the super I think I'm just missing the last part of the half circle which can just be remedied by practicing half circles a lot I think. Are there other bnbs I should try learning too? From what I've been hearing people say I'm probably going to need to switch from double tap dashing to using the macro, which is going to suck for my muscle memory.

On that note I haven't gone looking for any Guilty Gear Strive discords or May Discords, I don't know how bad or good they are.

hostess with the Moltres fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Sep 9, 2021

boz
Oct 16, 2005

hostess with the Moltres posted:

I've been having fun with May but I'm trying to do some bnb combos which was a big thing that I was advised to do when I was doing Skullgirls get gr8. One thing I'm messing up on a lot is the AD in the cS 2h 2[8]h AD jk jd 623146h combo I found on Dustloop. Is there a specific trick to the timing of the airdash? I'm noticing that I'm doing the AD maybe 1/3 of the time. For the super I think I'm just missing the last part of the half circle which can just be remedied by practicing half circles a lot I think. Are there other bnbs I should try learning too? From what I've been hearing people say I'm probably going to need to switch from double tap dashing to using the macro, which is going to suck for my muscle memory.

On that note I haven't gone looking for any Guilty Gear Strive discords or May Discords, I don't know how bad or good they are.

I finally put AD on my L2 button and it's been like night and day, I'd recommend going ahead and taking the plunge.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Dash button is going to make slayer a huge loving problem one day

brainSnakes
Jul 11, 2011

I'd never save you in a million years

Real hurthling! posted:

Dash button is going to make slayer a huge loving problem one day

I cannot wait for that day. Not because I want to play Slayer. Because I know someone who is a super Xrd Grognard who refuses to play Strive until Slayer releases, and I’ll be very excited to gate keep him with however many years of I-no practice i’ll have under my belt by then.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

slayer won't even be slayer anymore if every character can do an 80% ch combo anyway

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

slayer will do an 85% combo :wth:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

P dandy > pile bunker at round start will kill