Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf
I'm playing through Jedi: Fallen Order and a subtle thing that really tickled me is that each of the lightsaber colors has a slightly different activation noise and resting hum. I also really enjoy the amount of customization you can do to the lightsaber and it's always fun to switch things up whenever I find a workbench.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Picayune posted:

Speaking of Death Stranding: there's this one dude who asks Sam to bring him pizza. The guy's name is Peter Englert. The rest is spoilers: after doing all of these painful timed deliveries, including loving hand-carrying a crate of champagne all the way up from Timefall Farm, I informed the television that some day I would meet Peter Englert in the flesh, and on that day, I would hit him over the head with the largest cargo crate currently in my possession.

Well, guess what. You eventually find out that Peter Englert is actually Higgs. And when you meet and fight Higgs in person, that's exactly what you do. The game knows, man. The game knows.

That part is one of my favourite aspects of the character, like he's kinda bland until you see the room. Because it shows this villain who isn't some omnipotent force, dogging Sam at every turned and having his perfect plans foiled by the unflappable hero. He's just some regular schmuck who's trying to get his poo poo done, having to do all sorts of busywork just to have Sam come in and ruin it all. And thinking about him sitting in this room getting frustrated and annoyed by himself, with no one else to turn to, sinking into a depression while having to put on this facade of typical smug villainy whenever he's in front of the player, I thought it offered a lot into his character. Might just be me though.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

That's great, I got far enough to have a laugh at delivering a pizza but I had no idea it developed further than that.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Blasphemous, being heavily inspired by Catholic imagery, naturally has enemies that flagellate themselves. When they do so as part of their idle animation, they actually briefly blink white like they do when you do damage to them.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

packetmantis posted:

The bow owns. :colbert:

I did it with the vanilla bow. Just unlocked the homing special perk and it does indeed own now. The vanilla bow just kinda sucks.

4 clears now. I’m either getting better or stronger or both. The last kill on the final boss I had that duo perk where if your cast diamonds are on the ground, they deal continuous lighting damage. I had a 4th cast diamond from chaos. I just shot my spell nonsense at the pillars in the middle of the room and ran away screaming for the entire fight. Worked like a charm.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Morpheus posted:

That part is one of my favourite aspects of the character, like he's kinda bland until you see the room. Because it shows this villain who isn't some omnipotent force, dogging Sam at every turned and having his perfect plans foiled by the unflappable hero. He's just some regular schmuck who's trying to get his poo poo done, having to do all sorts of busywork just to have Sam come in and ruin it all. And thinking about him sitting in this room getting frustrated and annoyed by himself, with no one else to turn to, sinking into a depression while having to put on this facade of typical smug villainy whenever he's in front of the player, I thought it offered a lot into his character. Might just be me though.

And it plays into the deliveries too, since Higgs is trolling you by making you do difficult bullshit (the aforementioned hand delivered champagne). Until the final one, there's not even a reward! You don't get the good serotonin you get from other deliveries, where people tell you you're being a good boy.

I agree that he's probably not doing very well mentally, because he's all alone. Death Stranding is a game about connecting people, and Higgs refuses to connect to anyone.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
In Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous, it's clearly laid out in the level up screens:

• What skills your other party members have
  • What party members also know a spell you have selected for learning
  • What party members also have a feat that has bonuses for multiple party members knowing it

This is incredibly convenient.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

The new Ratchet & Clank game's "skip puzzle" option is a super nice piece of accessibility to have...say, for example, if you've stopped playing the game for a month and come back without the slightest recollection of what's even going on in the challenge you left it at :sweatdrop:

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

Captain Hygiene posted:

The new Ratchet & Clank game's "skip puzzle" option is a super nice piece of accessibility to have...say, for example, if you've stopped playing the game for a month and come back without the slightest recollection of what's even going on in the challenge you left it at :sweatdrop:

Great for NG+ as well. I proved I could do it already, now let me pass. Those adaptive triggers for the guns are really cool too in expanding your abilities without taking up an entirely new button.

Playing Ghost of Tsushima on PS5 now, the game is full of fun little things. One thing that really stood out is that the touchpad functionality is finally kind of worth a drat. Up for wind guide, down for bow, left for flute, right to sheath. It's the first time I've ever actually appreciated the touchpad, and it's cool. I just with you could sheath while walking, but that's pretty drat minor.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

So there's a hidden Easter egg in Psychonauts 2 done by Pendleton Ward, of all people, and it is....something:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBjAyGZ7n9c

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
That sure was a thing I just saw. :stare:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Morpheus posted:

So there's a hidden Easter egg in Psychonauts 2 done by Pendleton Ward, of all people, and it is....something:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBjAyGZ7n9c

:lmao: That's the best thing in either game

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
I just finished Hades and man, I just wish there was more of it. Supergiant doesn’t really do DLC or sequels.

What a fantastic story and a fun twist on the original Greek myth. The ending was just perfect - especially the final boss fight. I haven’t been into a game like this since Binding of Isaac and I’m sad it’s over after just a few days.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

The first minigame you play in Later Alligator is really funny and hooked me to this incredibly cute game
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYL8SYW9OzA&t=329s

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Frank Frank posted:

I just finished Hades and man, I just wish there was more of it. Supergiant doesn’t really do DLC or sequels.

What a fantastic story and a fun twist on the original Greek myth. The ending was just perfect - especially the final boss fight. I haven’t been into a game like this since Binding of Isaac and I’m sad it’s over after just a few days.

So when you say “finished”…

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
yeah, i wouldn't consider being done with hades until you've seen the credits roll, and even then there's so much more game to go and npcs to talk to and work with. it's a fantastic game.

also a great game: later alligator. hope we get a sequel someday, i love that smallbu animation

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

flatluigi posted:

yeah, i wouldn't consider being done with hades until you've seen the credits roll, and even then there's so much more game to go and npcs to talk to and work with. it's a fantastic game.

also a great game: later alligator. hope we get a sequel someday, i love that smallbu animation

Saw it announced for the switch recently and didn't know it came out already. The whole game was so pleasant and the music was really loving good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYV4AKjxSzM

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I overall loved the game, but the one minigame keeping the flies off the hippie was bullshit. Because you can only do it once per run, so if you screw up you can't retry it.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

flatluigi posted:

I think I beat dad three or four times? When do the NPCs stop seeming like busywork between runs?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Len posted:

I think I beat dad three or four times? When do the NPCs stop seeming like busywork between runs?

You start unlocking more stuff and more weapons and difficulty options as time goes by, and credits roll after your tenth win.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

flatluigi posted:

You start unlocking more stuff and more weapons and difficulty options as time goes by, and credits roll after your tenth win.

I think I have all the weapons, still trinkets to get

My problem is that everyone talks up the story and characters and I just wanted them to stop talking and give me their stuff. None of them ever said anything that I actually cared about. Which is a shame because the actual runs were quite fun

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Dewgy posted:

So when you say “finished”…

Through the epilogue

I have some dialogue tree things I can still do and some companions I can unlock. I guess I could stick around to 100% all the weapons but I don’t see the point.

Edit: it’s still fun though. Now that I know the win condition formulas, it’ll be a fun game to smoke a bowl to and just zone out. I had a couple runs I thought were doomed that I managed to pull out somehow due to weird interactions.

Frank Frank has a new favorite as of 04:07 on Sep 9, 2021

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Len posted:

My problem is that everyone talks up the story and characters and I just wanted them to stop talking and give me their stuff. None of them ever said anything that I actually cared about. Which is a shame because the actual runs were quite fun

okay, well, if you don't give a poo poo about the writing then you can probably stop playing i guess

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Len posted:

Also I’m the opposite of this dude. Why even play the game if that’s your attitude?

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

BioEnchanted posted:

I overall loved the game, but the one minigame keeping the flies off the hippie was bullshit. Because you can only do it once per run, so if you screw up you can't retry it.

I didn't have a problem with it but what you do get if you do lose is great

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Frank Frank posted:

Also I’m the opposite of this dude. Why even play the game if that’s your attitude?

The actual runs are good fun!

But then I die and have to talk to all those npcs in the lobby so I can get their trinkets eventually. And I don't care about any of them except my dog

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
They really hosed up Achilles by having a dude known for his rage and doing things like fighting a river god or yelling at people so hard they died just be all “:shrug: whatever I’m sad”

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Achilles spends about the first 16 books of The Iliad moping around doing gently caress all until Patroclus is killed so it's very true to character.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
That’s more hate moping. He’s not sad, he’s doing it to spite Agamemnon. Mostly.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I wish I didn't have to complete Hades ten times to see all of its story. I like the story, but it's genuinely one of the least enjoyable roguelikes I've ever played.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Cleretic posted:

I wish I didn't have to complete Hades ten times to see all of its story. I like the story, but it's genuinely one of the least enjoyable roguelikes I've ever played.

Both ends of the hades love-hate spectrum represented ITT.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Feel like Hades' whole deal is to actually encourage the people who play roguelites over and over to see all the content and try out different playstyles by also giving them story progress for doing so, but in turn makes it tricky for people more interested in the story than the gameplay because they're almost inevitably going to get sick of it. (and vice versa)

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Feel like Hades' whole deal is to actually encourage the people who play roguelites over and over to see all the content and try out different playstyles by also giving them story progress for doing so, but in turn makes it tricky for people more interested in the story than the gameplay because they're almost inevitably going to get sick of it. (and vice versa)

Tbf they added God Mode for the latter. I guess it really sucks for people who aren’t onboard with the dialogue/characters/subplots tho, although I guess you can mash X faster than even doing a souped up God Mode run enough times to brute force your way to the epilogue.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Well...yeah that's a roguelike. The number of roguelikes that encourage you to only beat them once then never again is a pretty short list. Rogue Legacy, Cadence of Hyrule, ....? At least Hades gives you something substantial in the way of plot rather than just upping difficulty or something.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Cleretic posted:

What the gently caress. Hades is like the only rougelite I've enjoyed. What's it like over in bizarro world?

Len posted:

The actual runs are good fun!

But then I die and have to talk to all those npcs in the lobby so I can get their trinkets eventually. And I don't care about any of them except my dog

Also man I don't get how anyone would find the characters unenjoyable because the writing is so charming and Zagreus is just the nicest loving guy ever. The voice work is all solid gold, too. I do wanna go party with Dionysus after this whole thing blows over

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
The introduction of God Mode is a good addition to Hades, although the fact that it's only something you can turn on at the start means it's only really good if you know from the outset that you only want the story.

It's not really an option for someone like me, who just went 'gently caress this' after scraping together two victories.

Kit Walker posted:

What the gently caress. Hades is like the only rougelite I've enjoyed. What's it like over in bizarro world?

And to answer that... well, I don't like how sparing it is with healing, I don't like that the Temple of Styx means you can never be sure how long the 'back end' of the run will go, I don't like how unreliable it is to be able to piece together a build you know is good, significant upgrades from things like titan blood are way too hard to put together... The basic structure and formula is fine, but it has enough ingrained problems that I never feel like I'm actually enjoying myself when playing it. Hell, even a winning build never really feels like it has some satisfying muscle behind it.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 13:45 on Sep 9, 2021

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

I agree about the builds, mostly. Sometimes you just get stuck because the game refuses to give you a special or attack boon when you've otherwise got a good build going and you're just not allowed to do relevant damage. Or you get stuck in a weak build when you know you could win by just doing the same thing over and over. I could probably win with just about any weapon if I went for Ares+Artemis cast every time but that's boring as poo poo. Some builds being insane against regular enemies but useless against bosses is also a problem.

It's a very good game but I lost interest after 5 wins or so because unlocking the last few weapons and grinding titans blood to make the Hera bow more insane or most other weapons barely useful isn't that interesting. And I only really enjoy using the bow and some shield builds. Most other weapons just feel like downgrades unless you dump blood into them to unlock a broken aspect which allows you to ignore the weapons weakness.

Take the base sword as an example. I don't like it at all until you unlock the casting aspect because that allows you to not use the sword to do damage. Which is a solution but not a great one. Similarly the fists suck unless you get the long range upgrade that allows you to play more like the spear....or the bow that is better than anything. At least if you're mediocre at the game like I am.

Brandfarlig has a new favorite as of 14:03 on Sep 9, 2021

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I bounced off Hades super hard because I don't get direct enjoyment out of the combat system like everyone else does. It ends up being more of an obstacle that I am constantly having to get past, rather than the vehicle that makes the journey enjoyable. I can turn on the easy-mode stuff, sure, but I'm not concerned about difficulty as much as the sheer amount of time/combat I need to wade through to get to the stuff I give a poo poo about. If there's an option to turn off respawning-waves of enemies and instead just fight what's in a room and move on, I would probably get through it on my own.

That's not to say the combat is bad, I'm just not the person this game is trying to appeal to, gameplay-wise. The combat is there and there is a lot of it, and it probably rules that there's so much of it if the combat triggers that dopamine surge. I had the same problem with Doom 2016, the characterization was great, the exploration was fun, the combat was something I could get through after setting a rhythm, but the spine of the game was obviously about enjoying the combat. I was just getting through it.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

I never really felt that healing was sparing. You get a guaranteed heal after every boss, you can buy heals from the Well of Charon and Charon chambers quite often, and some abilities will either let you heal or improve the healing you get. Plus with more Death Defiances you can die a bunch of times and still keep on trucking. As for making builds, max out Dark Foresight and Fated Persuasion and you'll be swimming in your pick of boons. But even without those things it's manageable. Even a crappy build will likely be able to take you through to the end unless you're on high heat. I get the point about aspect upgrades but you don't really need to use all of them so just invest in whatever sounds good (or just look up what's considered the best and stick with those chiron's bow) and have at it

I haven't really messed around with targeting specific builds since I'm more interested in farming metacurrency for now in the lower heats, but even with slapshod builds I've had some absolute bangers come together that trivialized the second half. Styx in particular I think is easier than people might assume at first, and I always clear every drat chamber before I tackle the last boss. I'm also on a win streak of 20 after beating Hades for the first time so I might be a little biased

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Yeah Styx is close to free, it's Elysium that can be a huge bitch. The only thing dangerous in Styx is poison spam being annoying as poo poo when you have low damage to bosses.