Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
"But the youtube video was on display…”
“On display? I eventually had to go down to the cellar to find it.”
“That’s the display department.”
“With a flashlight.”
“Ah, well, the lights had probably gone.”
“So had the stairs.”
“But look, you found the youtube video, didn’t you?”
“Yes,” said Arthur, “yes I did. It was on display in the bottom of a locked filing cabinet stuck in a disused lavatory with a sign on the door saying ‘Beware of the Leopard'."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

It’s gonna be loving hilarious when the Snyder Cut sells more units on home video than the Suicide Squad.

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

ruddiger posted:

It’s gonna be loving hilarious when the Snyder Cut sells more units on home video than the Suicide Squad.

Maybe it would if you could find it.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

ruddiger posted:

Never underestimate a cult

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

RBA Starblade posted:

What are your crimes, RBA Starblade??

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Martman posted:

What are your crimes, RBA Starblade??

Oh you know, the usual

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

RBA Starblade posted:

We are no longer cultists. The preferred term is Snyder Cumsluts now.

https://twitter.com/TheWhiplashFX/status/1435673170590277633?s=19

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
:911::gizz:

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Detective No. 27 posted:

We are no longer cultists. The preferred term is Snyder Cumsluts now.

https://twitter.com/TheWhiplashFX/status/1435673170590277633?s=19

Lolll I saw the reply last night but didn’t know their definition of “didn’t like” is “rated it below other movies”. Why are people such weird lunatics about comic book flicks?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Guy A. Person posted:

Lolll I saw the reply last night but didn’t know their definition of “didn’t like” is “rated it below other movies”. Why are people such weird lunatics about comic book flicks?

I honestly feel like it's the merch. Wear a Superman logo on your shirt and you're going to feel ownership in a way you wouldn't otherwise.

Like, for instance, they're filming a new Indiana Jones right now. All signs point to it being terrible, but I haven't seen it get 20% of the heat that you get from Star Wars or Superman or w/e, because Indiana Jones never had a big toy/marketing push. On its face this muted reaction seems odd to me. Indy is a beloved 40 year old franchise that many, many people grew up with and saw as a kid - you would think that a new movie in production would be a huge deal and people would get fired up about it being on the wrong track - but yet the Internet has collectively shrugged and said that's too bad" and little else. Why the subdued discourse? My theory: there's zero feelings of ownership over Indy because there's nothing there outside of the movies. No one plays with Indy action figures (well I did, but they were only around for a year or so after Raiders of the Lost Ark). Indy doesn't have a logo. There's not a big cosplay thing because, while his outfit is iconic, it has no real life pizzaz. So Indiana Jones remains "just" a bunch of beloved movies that people enjoyed, maybe went out in their backyard or in a nearby field and pretended to have an expedition or something. Maybe they got a whip and learned to crack it a few times. Maybe they wanted to get a fedora but the dang incels ruined that.

The stuff you play with growing up has a big impact on you. Disney seems to have figured that out. For Batman and Superman it appears to be a happy accident from just hanging around for over 75 years and always having some base amount of toys and comics and books and media out there for the kiddos. etc.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Indy doesn't have a logo.

it absolutely does

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

Like, for instance, they're filming a new Indiana Jones right now. All signs point to it being terrible, but I haven't seen it get 20% of the heat that you get from Star Wars or Superman or w/e, because Indiana Jones never had a big toy/marketing push

I think it's assumed it will suck at this point

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Necrothatcher posted:

it absolutely does

A picture of a hat and bullwhip is absolutely "Indiana Jones" but that's not a logo, it's more like his trademark.

RBA Starblade posted:

I think it's assumed it will suck at this point

Agreed but when has that stopped the discourse from complaining? Loudly, everywhere, constantly?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indiana_Jones

The poster font's the logo

Agreed but when has that stopped the discourse from complaining? Loudly, everywhere, constantly?

There's less discourse when there's no one disagreeing

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

RBA Starblade posted:

The poster font's the logo

Ok I'm not going to argue this so just pretend I said "a logo that people want to wear on their bodies (like the Superman S, or Batman, or Captain America's shield. or w/e)"

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

You’re thinking of a symbol. But the Indy logo does count

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

On my planet it means M'lady

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

RBA Starblade posted:

On my planet it means M'lady

“I WILL REDPILL HIM!”

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

I honestly feel like it's the merch. Wear a Superman logo on your shirt and you're going to feel ownership in a way you wouldn't otherwise.

Like, for instance, they're filming a new Indiana Jones right now. All signs point to it being terrible, but I haven't seen it get 20% of the heat that you get from Star Wars or Superman or w/e, because Indiana Jones never had a big toy/marketing push. On its face this muted reaction seems odd to me. Indy is a beloved 40 year old franchise that many, many people grew up with and saw as a kid - you would think that a new movie in production would be a huge deal and people would get fired up about it being on the wrong track - but yet the Internet has collectively shrugged and said that's too bad" and little else. Why the subdued discourse? My theory: there's zero feelings of ownership over Indy because there's nothing there outside of the movies. No one plays with Indy action figures (well I did, but they were only around for a year or so after Raiders of the Lost Ark). Indy doesn't have a logo. There's not a big cosplay thing because, while his outfit is iconic, it has no real life pizzaz. So Indiana Jones remains "just" a bunch of beloved movies that people enjoyed, maybe went out in their backyard or in a nearby field and pretended to have an expedition or something. Maybe they got a whip and learned to crack it a few times. Maybe they wanted to get a fedora but the dang incels ruined that.

The stuff you play with growing up has a big impact on you. Disney seems to have figured that out. For Batman and Superman it appears to be a happy accident from just hanging around for over 75 years and always having some base amount of toys and comics and books and media out there for the kiddos. etc.

Crystal Skull already de-mythologized the "new entry in old franchise" thing and/becausewas roundly mocked for it. After that, the most energy anyone can muster is "Ehhhhh, maybe it will only mostly be as bad as CS."

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Well thank you for replying to my old post, I hadn't thought about that in a while. Plus I was very wrong that Indy didn't have merch, because there was literally comic books and custom Choose-Your-Own-Adventures called Find Your Fate that just slipped my mind. Nonetheless perhaps the muted reaction is because Indy doesn't take place in an alternate world where anything is possible, this locks off people's feelings of wonder and imagination? I don't know, I'm just spitballing. It really is baffling to me what caused one of the powerful contemporaries of Star Wars, a movie that featured one of the same actors even, to just sort of slip into "a good old movie series" instead of "the franchise that defines me, as a person". Maybe because there can only be one of those franchises by definition.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Indiana Jones implicitly takes place in the 'real' world', for all its ups and downs. There's no easy avenue for escapism, for your life being fundamentally different in it, or for selling merchandise based on the place Indy visited that one time.

Everything about Star Wars is new, is strange, is literally alien. Every vehicle, every town, every house and building and weapon. That's what sci-fi and fantasy settings offer; novelty, even if it's not new.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Well thank you for replying to my old post, I hadn't thought about that in a while. Plus I was very wrong that Indy didn't have merch, because there was literally comic books and custom Choose-Your-Own-Adventures called Find Your Fate that just slipped my mind. Nonetheless perhaps the muted reaction is because Indy doesn't take place in an alternate world where anything is possible, this locks off people's feelings of wonder and imagination? I don't know, I'm just spitballing. It really is baffling to me what caused one of the powerful contemporaries of Star Wars, a movie that featured one of the same actors even, to just sort of slip into "a good old movie series" instead of "the franchise that defines me, as a person". Maybe because there can only be one of those franchises by definition.

There was Indy merch but even Lucasfilm recognized that it wasn't as strong as Star Wars and tried to pair them together. Back when Dark Horse got the rights to do Star Wars comics, one of the conditions of the deal with Lucasfilm was that they had to do Indiana Jones also (not just had to get the rights, but had to actually print out comics). Notably this was 1990, the year after Last Crusade and a time when Star Wars was at its nadir, and even so they were having to piggyback Indy merch off of Star Wars.