Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

let the anger flow through your salt beef filling

K8.0 posted:

The Verge was and is garbage, but Stefan also deserves plenty of blame. You can wing poo poo to a certain degree, but if you can't tell zip ties from tweezers, you should know that you have no business telling people how to build a computer.

He could have used the infamy as an opportunity to bail from his job, take ownership of the mess and parlay his fame into something more positive, but I mean... if you're the sort of person who winds up working as a host for The Verge doing amazingly bad tutorials, you probably don't have many people around you giving good advice. The more bad decisions you make, the easier it is to keep making bad decisions. I'm glad he's finally got an opportunity to move on from being a walking meme, but let's not pretend that video was any less bad than it was.

On the whole, I think the best thing people can take away from it is that video "experts" rarely have any clue what the gently caress they're talking about, their actual profession is "host" and the confidence is part of the job, not something that's warranted by their knowledge. If you were an expert in every field, the vast majority of videos on youtube purporting to supply knowledge would be just as transparently awful. Go watch some videos related to your career, I bet you want to blow your loving brains out 45 seconds in to most of them. That video got exposed hard because the audience likely to watch a "how to build a PC" video tends to primarily be people who already know in detail how to build a PC.

I mean, I feel like your second point kind of undercuts your first there. You don't have to be an expert in all things tech to be a tech journalist, as you say, and it's fairly likely that the publication said "pc building videos are ranking high on SEO right now, you need to do one pronto", and he wasn't given the time or resources to properly do his research. When you're early career in a hyper competitive enthusiast press you'll probably feel a huge amount of pressure to do what you're told. The pressure to wing it instead of passing up the job as a young guy with one of the few jobs in a dying but coveted industry will be immense.

And I can totally see it being a cascade of failures, where the video editor (also working to an unreasonable deadline) uses the footage where the guy says tweezers instead of zip ties (people misspeak ALL THE TIME when presenting to camera. I've had to edit out so many people with actual expertise saying completely the opposite of what they mean plenty of times), they use the wrong shots in the wrong order, etc etc etc.

Obviously I'm speculating, but then so is everyone else who is assuming that this is all him running off his own steam, or that there weren't a million stupid logistical reasons for how the final edit turned out how it did (which includes misinformation said directly to camera).

If he was a youtuber working solo, I'd agree with you on your first point. But honestly the fault completely lies with the publisher. It's the whole job of the editorial chain above you to decide whether or not your content passes the bar for quality - and to give you the time and resources you need to do a proper job. And if people in your editorial chain (or in the editing bay) don't have the expertise to decide which footage to use - especially in a video that's supposed to be educational like this - then you either budget to bring on a behind the scenes consultant, or you don't commission the content at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

cage-free egghead posted:

How is that racist? Genuine question.

IMO it's not really. Between guy wearing some oversize glasses in the video, plus the awkward delivery of his lines (which is way more from not doing extra takes and bad editing than the guy himself), the Urkel jab was kinda on point.

Buuuuuuuut when you deliver it in a racist stereotype character it kinda makes anything you say sound way more racist. Who would have guessed!

The Grumbles posted:

But also, it's completely obviously a shameful indictment of the youtube outrage industrial complex and the material effect it has on people's lives. The GN PSU thing isn't targeted harrasment of an individual, and is trying to stand up for customers in a meaningful way. Contrast with this, where youtubers were being shitheads behind an incredibly flimsy smokescreen of "but if someone follows this guide something bad might happen so we are protecting people", stoking up their already lovely audiences. If all those reaction videos were about the Verge, I'd agree with you. But they obviously weren''t.

So the thing is, 90% of the coverage was not from the Verge putting up bad build guide. Initially it was Bitwit (a big channel) and a bunch of rando youtubers you never heard of. Those react videos were generally mean and mocking, they did them for clicks, and yes the "but it could brick someone's PC" was a pretty thin veneer of legitimacy. (But also, 100% true.)

If at that point the Verge had pulled the video down and tried to pretend it never happened, that would have been the end of it. No extra coverage, no real outrage, and we wouldn't be talking about it now because most of us would never have heard about it.

But instead they went with DMCAs and that was where they got pervasive coverage across tech youtube from large channels, and general tech internet outside youtube. And it's 100% justified because it's Real News, and it's actually pretty outrageous! They were abusing the legal system in the same way they'd protest to the heavens if it happened to them, and it was loving with people's livelihoods because they got mildly made fun of. It sucks that Stephan was the most visible face for the backlash to land on, but the backlash was valid.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
It’s also disingenuous to handwave away the torrent of decidedly racist nonsense the guy got via every social media channel other than the specific not directly racist (Bitwit’s character bullshit is racist A F, but that’s another conversation) YouTube reaction videos that merely opened the floodgates, rather than participating in the deluge.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

CaptainPsyko posted:

It’s also disingenuous to handwave away the torrent of decidedly racist nonsense the guy got via every social media channel other than the specific not directly racist (Bitwit’s character bullshit is racist A F, but that’s another conversation) YouTube reaction videos that merely opened the floodgates, rather than participating in the deluge.

Klyith posted:

Those people absolutely suck. But saying youtubers are responsible for harassment because of those shitheads is both wrong, and only amplifies the results.

Blaming people who didn't do a thing, instead of the people who did it and the platforms that enable them, is dumb. Holding the people with the least control over the results responsible diminishes the vast chasm of responsibility that social media and especially twitter live in.

You post on SA, this site has collectively done some pretty reprehensible poo poo in the past. Can I blame you for that poo poo?

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Klyith posted:

Blaming people who didn't do a thing, instead of the people who did it and the platforms that enable them, is dumb. Holding the people with the least control over the results responsible diminishes the vast chasm of responsibility that social media and especially twitter live in.

You post on SA, this site has collectively done some pretty reprehensible poo poo in the past. Can I blame you for that poo poo?

Your point about SA posting makes no sense, but to your previous point, if somebody has an audience, and especially if that audience is known to operate collectively in certain ways, then how that person mobilises that audience is absolutely their responsibility. Whether or not those reaction videos were racist, they were designed to be as hyped up and overblown as possible. It doesn't diminish the responsibility of the people in the hate mob to say that the people who riled up the hate mob to begin with are just as responsible.

Jack Ratigan
Jan 26, 2005

...Ok
Actually it sounds like you don't know what you are talking about. Who's audiences "act a certain way collectively"? Is there a threshold for "collective PC gamer racism"? Is there a chart? How much of the pie has to be filled before making fun of a black man screwing up is "riling up a hate mob"?
Youtubers have no ability to protect POC from shitheels.
The idea that they have the responsibility to makes me legitimately angry. It's paternalistic as hell. No one, not even Bitwit, were busting out with 1930's tom and jerry cartoons or winking at their evil audiences about, "those people".
Most of the videos I saw on the drat thing weren't even that zany or overblown. Unless the videos were made, or they were harder on him BECAUSE he's black, then he's fair game.

This whole line of thought is wild to me. Should they have taken steps to "protect" him from the videos backlash? Not reported on it?
Don't you realize how backhanded that is?

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

gamers average out "pretty racist" hth

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Jack Ratigan posted:

Actually it sounds like you don't know what you are talking about. Who's audiences "act a certain way collectively"? Is there a threshold for "collective PC gamer racism"? Is there a chart? How much of the pie has to be filled before making fun of a black man screwing up is "riling up a hate mob"?
The idea that they have the responsibility to makes me legitimately angry. It's paternalistic as hell. No one, not even Bitwit, were busting out with 1930's tom and jerry cartoons or winking at their evil audiences about, "those people".
Most of the videos I saw on the drat thing weren't even that zany or overblown. Unless the videos were made, or they were harder on him BECAUSE he's black, then he's fair game.

This whole line of thought is wild to me. Should they have taken steps to "protect" him from the videos backlash? Not reported on it?

The first person making a “hey lol this verge video is pretty bad?” Yeah, I’m not blaming them.

The 30th one joining the circle jerk once it has fully curdled and turned into what it became? Yeah, I think that person should have thought twice about what they were participating in.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

CaptainPsyko posted:

The 30th one joining the circle jerk once it has fully curdled and turned into what it became? Yeah, I think that person should have thought twice about what they were participating in.

i'm sorry that i paid for a something awful forums account in order to join the cool kids' club that was righteously trolling the battletech nerds in mechwarrior online (2013)

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

The Grumbles posted:

if somebody has an audience, and especially if that audience is known to operate collectively in certain ways, then how that person mobilises that audience is absolutely their responsibility

Trump on Jan 6th: that is someone mobilizing their audience. (And there are a zillion lesser examples.)

"The Verge made a lovely PC build guide lol! They have hundreds of millions in funding and a big staff, I'm gonna clown on them for 30 minutes." That is not mobilization. There is no call to action there. The Verge itself definitely deserved to get some harsh criticism for producing a terrible guide.

However, after the Verge dropped DMCAs all over a bunch of people with big audiences, then yes they effectively called for mobilization. And a bunch of other youtubers did too. Because they wanted the Verge to know that the vast majority of the tech audience wouldn't stand for those tactics. When a million people line up to yell "you suck!" at you on the internet, you could call it harassment. Or you could call it a protest. hosed around, found out.

The Verge deserved 100% of the hate it got. Stefan did not, but sadly he worked for people who scapegoated him.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

The Grumbles posted:

I mean, I feel like your second point kind of undercuts your first there. You don't have to be an expert in all things tech to be a tech journalist, as you say, and it's fairly likely that the publication said "pc building videos are ranking high on SEO right now, you need to do one pronto", and he wasn't given the time or resources to properly do his research. When you're early career in a hyper competitive enthusiast press you'll probably feel a huge amount of pressure to do what you're told. The pressure to wing it instead of passing up the job as a young guy with one of the few jobs in a dying but coveted industry will be immense.

And I can totally see it being a cascade of failures, where the video editor (also working to an unreasonable deadline) uses the footage where the guy says tweezers instead of zip ties (people misspeak ALL THE TIME when presenting to camera. I've had to edit out so many people with actual expertise saying completely the opposite of what they mean plenty of times), they use the wrong shots in the wrong order, etc etc etc.

Obviously I'm speculating, but then so is everyone else who is assuming that this is all him running off his own steam, or that there weren't a million stupid logistical reasons for how the final edit turned out how it did (which includes misinformation said directly to camera).

If he was a youtuber working solo, I'd agree with you on your first point. But honestly the fault completely lies with the publisher. It's the whole job of the editorial chain above you to decide whether or not your content passes the bar for quality - and to give you the time and resources you need to do a proper job. And if people in your editorial chain (or in the editing bay) don't have the expertise to decide which footage to use - especially in a video that's supposed to be educational like this - then you either budget to bring on a behind the scenes consultant, or you don't commission the content at all.

The company deserves the lion's share of the blame, but if you're somebody who is seriously thinking about making it as a media personality you can't just say yes to everything. He presented himself as an expert, while not being an expert, and he ate poo poo for it. Even if the response was again at the orders of the company, he sacrificed his ability to have any kind of future in tech media by letting them throw him under the bus. I do wish him all the best in his redemption tour and I don't think anybody deserves any form of hate dogpiling from the internet but that really was a bad video and his response was real bad, too. It's going to be hard for him to reclaim any kind of credibility - but it's possible.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Jack Ratigan posted:

Hello I used to do a lot of online community management though that shouldn't be relevant to this and the other replies about it. The racism is bad but it's just the poo poo icing on a horrible cake. I mean just the pileon itself is bad enough and its hard to understate just how disproportionate the effect of that will be on your life to whatever slight you've done. It's not just your career - it's people doxxing you or calling your house or sending death threats or you having to change your email address and your phone number. Even if it's not that extreme, the psychological effect of getting so much hate is seriously awful and I wouldn't wish it on anyone who, uh, made a bad PC build guide that was only ever seen by people who already know how to build a computer.

The pileon itself I mean as more of a broad problem with youtube and the way that it incentivizes hype/strong reactions above all else from creators, which will whip up any audience into a frenzy (PC gamers are particularly awful but honestly these dynamics apply to any audience). Most of those videos maybe didn't feel that zany or overblown because they're in a sea of videos of people losing their poo poo to a marvel trailer or whatever. Honestly, most of the coverage wasn't 'reporting', it was entertainment - reaction videos/edits/etc. There are ways to "report" on this stuff in a way that focuses the narrative on the publication, but nobody did that.

I mean call it a faustian pact with the algorithm or whatever but when creators go into a space that directly incentivises them being as hype as possible about everything I think the least they could do is go the linus route and not direct that towards individuals because the internet and its uncapped audience is basically out of control.
The dynamics of the internet mean that these things will inevitably happen when someone in a public space as oversensitive as PC gaming makes some kind of mistake, but that doesn't mean you can't look at those people as willing participants in a completely toxic ecosystem!

A book I'd recommend to absolutely anyone is So You've Been Publically Shamed by Jon Ronson. It goes really well into the dynamics of all this - people's whose lives have tanked because of online pile-ons. I mean, this dude didn't exactly run a paramilitary death squad. But the internet doesn't really let you not shout as loudly about the bad PC build guide as the climate crisis or humanitarian disasters or whatever.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Isn't bitwit asian himself? Seems odd to call his act racist

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

VostokProgram posted:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uncle_Tom

buffbus
Nov 19, 2012

VostokProgram posted:

It worked for Chris Rock and it worked for Dave Chappell. That was a different era though. It does give him a bit of a shield but IMO it's still pretty cringe these days.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

VostokProgram posted:

This line of thinking gets into "N-word privileges" debates, and yeah it's still pretty racist for him to be doing a bit based on the stereotype of Asian immigrants with poor English skills. Leaving aside questions of how Asian and how immigrant you need to be to have your East Asian N-Word Card, I'm going to go out on a limb and estimate that the demographics of the audience he caters is probably white Gamers.

You're welcome to try and convince me his intended audience is Asian immigrants with (or who previously had) poor English skills and that him doing the bit at a black dude is somehow speaking truth to power, but uh that's gonna be a hard sell.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jYB-RpkmUc

As an enjoyer of silence, I actually really dig the concept here. I wonder how a card with a lower TDP than a 3080 would hold up here.

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.
Lots of online gaming subcultures intersect with openly racist communities (4chan) and other online spheres that consider themselves "anti-woke" (r/kotakuinaction) and those clowns tend to have a large voice and presence even though are the minority. I don't think that's all that debatable at this point. At the same time, in our racist society/world, your average gamer probably isn't all that much more or less racist than the person walking down the street.

As for Bitwit, good comedians play with stereotypes all the time to highlight the absurdity of racial bigotry, build empathy across culture and community, or make a political observation through humor. Bitwit's "Chinese" accent bit does none of that nor is it funny, because he isn't funny, nor is he skilled enough to comment on society and culture in those ways. He's a dork who makes a living building computers on youtube. I sense that when his stans come to his defense around his act, they either have an unhealthy parasocial relationship with him, and/or have an anti-woke agenda they're trying to push forward. I'm not sure exactly what he's is trying to accomplish with that bit, because he isn't even playing a character when he does that voice. He speaks just like he usually does but with an accent. At best he comes off as extremely cringe and unfunny when he does that voice and at worst he's reinforcing mean spirited anti-Asian stereotypes and mockery.

mA fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Sep 9, 2021

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

also it’s explicitly a Chinese character and I don’t think he is Chinese - could be wrong there.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

well why not posted:

also it’s explicitly a Chinese character and I don’t think he is Chinese - could be wrong there.

lyle as a vector for chinese stereotypes is pretty loving horrible, like if you've never watched it he literally tells jokes about eating dogs and poo poo like that

but bitwit has been pretty clear about the style and accent being based on his grandfather, who has shown up on some of his videos in the past and really does sound like that as an Asian immigrant (Chinese or not, I don't know)

Purgatory Glory
Feb 20, 2005
I for one like Lyle :colbert:
I'm not ashamed of him or his poor English skills. Makes me smile.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jYB-RpkmUc

As an enjoyer of silence, I actually really dig the concept here. I wonder how a card with a lower TDP than a 3080 would hold up here.

I want this badly. I will not pay $900 for it though.

But wow, what a vision to actually follow through on and make work.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Hopefully it gets cheaper once they get their kickstarter going and start making more of them, though I would still expect it to be at least a few hundred dollars.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
From LTT's forum:

quote:

The GPU spreader is made by EK for MonsterLabo, when ordering the case you will be asked wich GPU card you want to install and they will ship the correct spreader and mounting kit.
So it's not just a $900 case, it's a $900 case that you may only ever be able to use with a single GPU. Maybe you will be able to get a replacement block in 5 years if the company is still around and if they are still supporting it by making a deal with a company like EK.

Because lol no I don't think you can put crappy ali express VRM sinks on a high-end GPU with zero airflow and have it be at all happy.

Still really impressive, despite that caveat.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Hopefully it gets cheaper once they get their kickstarter going and start making more of them, though I would still expect it to be at least a few hundred dollars.
The thing has 20 XL heatpipes in it, every case comes with a custom block by EK and pcie4 riser cable, and the only people who should go near it are experienced DIYers and boutique builders. I can see it going down to $750, but it won't be a few hundred dollars.

If they put up a kickstarter and it's $500 or less I would advise anyone to stay away and let other people take the risk, because to me that would be suspiciously cheap.

Klyith fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Sep 11, 2021

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Unsubbed from moores law is dead. Way too self congratulatory. Guy must have a sore arm with the amount of patting himself on the back he does

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

Adolf Glitter posted:

Unsubbed from moores law is dead. Way too self congratulatory. Guy must have a sore arm with the amount of patting himself on the back he does

Heh. I unsubbed a year ago for the same reason, then got curious recently about his Alder Lake videos and... yep, still spending 3 to 5 minutes per video 'reminding' everyone about all the news he 'broke' or 'reported on' already.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/HardwareUnboxed/status/1436917907863138305

Hardware Unboxed's crusade against Tech Deals's bad information continues apace, moving from "a Ryzen 2700X is better than a 5600X because it has more cores" to "I don't know what 1% lows mean"

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Linus invested in the framework laptop

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSxbc1IN9Gg

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

i mean if i was a millionaire like linus i would have to, Also Pretty sure he has invested in unraid.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

wargames posted:

i mean if i was a millionaire like linus i would have to, Also Pretty sure he has invested in unraid.

it came out on his podcast that LTT also had some kind of non-trivial business partnership with noctua at some stage. which, imo demonstrated the very limited functional use of such disclosures because i had 0 idea of it (despite them claiming to have disclosed it at some point in the distant past before i watched his channel) and had no idea they had a conflict of interest when i was uncritically absorbing their praise for the fans.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

It's always disarming when I'm on a platform without adblock and see an actual straight up preroll advert with Linus in it and presumably made by his crew.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

CoolCab posted:

it came out on his podcast that LTT also had some kind of non-trivial business partnership with noctua at some stage. which, imo demonstrated the very limited functional use of such disclosures because i had 0 idea of it (despite them claiming to have disclosed it at some point in the distant past before i watched his channel) and had no idea they had a conflict of interest when i was uncritically absorbing their praise for the fans.

The “partnership” was a glorified endorsement deal where the early chromax black fans came with Orange bumpers and they were announced via the channel.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

njsykora posted:

It's always disarming when I'm on a platform without adblock and see an actual straight up preroll advert with Linus in it and presumably made by his crew.

Doubly so when the ad is like… 5 years old and just features clean shaven young Linus as “Random IT Guy who the viewer is not necessarily expected to recognize.”

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

CoolCab posted:

to be fair everyone on the planet praises noctua fans. even the brown has been embraced over the years.

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real

Romes128 posted:

to be fair everyone on the planet praises noctua fans. even the brown has been embraced over the years.

They're great fans!

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

CoolCab posted:

They were called LTT Edition and he made at least one video mentioning them. They've been sold out forever everywhere and largely superseded by other colour variants coming out. You couldn't buy those without knowing they were an endorsement, essentially. Your point about praising and endorsing a product that you have a business deal does stand - and it goes to show that you shouldn't take any one infleuncer's advice on things, and you should consult a few sources.

Noctua stuff is legit, as said. I haven't ever seen one of their products be criticised outside of their interesting colour palettes. Still wouldn't buy a cooler from them off of one single review.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnJNN-Yg36E&t=150s

fcc compliant bob
Jan 15, 2006

The must un-fantastic avitar on the forum (guranteed!)
Linus is good to his audience but he treats his employees like poo poo on camera

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

fcc compliant bob posted:

Linus is good to his audience but he treats his employees like poo poo on camera

I feel like it's played up for humor. They do sass him back a lot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Almost everyone who has worked for Linus since the early days are either still there with him or are still friends and make occasional appearances. He legitimately strikes me as a boss that cares about creating a good work environment. For being a rich tech bro, linus comes off as a pretty decent dude all things considered.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Sep 26, 2021