Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

site posted:

ummmmm

what

That kind of reaction is why I'm not 100% on board with a Laura game. What fun is a Wolverine game if Wolverine isn't getting comedically, graphically brutalized only for it to all grow back?

Probably only slightly less so!

That being said given the way Insomniac approaches these games I'd put a moderate sum of money on this being Laura's origin story

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
No I meant I would really like to hear a reason why it's okay for that to happen to Logan but not Laura that doesn't come off as weirdly sexist

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Yeah, Laura isn't exactly skittish when it comes to that sort of thing. She's seen some poo poo. I vaguely remember that she once was handcuffed and cut her own hand off to escape.

But to be honest, I don't really share the opinion that I want to see a character consisting of flailed and torn lumps of bloody flesh which slowly grow back together in front of my eyes.
To each their own I guess.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Some people have a different visceral reaction to cartoon ultraviolence when it's a woman involved. I remember people being disturbed by some of the death animations in the Tomb Raider reboot

But considering it's Wolverine(s), and they grow back, it'd probably be more in the neighborhood of Mortal Kombat, which fewer people seem to mind.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

site posted:

No I meant I would really like to hear a reason why it's okay for that to happen to Logan but not Laura that doesn't come off as weirdly sexist

I mean to me it depends more on how the character's age is portrayed. My mental Laura is a teenager and the idea of the poo poo happening to a teenager makes my stomach crawl in the way it doesn't to a 2000 year old gruff samurai. I feel the same way about young male characters too.

poo poo Heart of Darkness for the PS1 horrified me more than Resident Evil and Silent Hill combined

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Isn't Laura like 20something now

She's definitely been "adult" since all new wolverine at least

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

OnimaruXLR posted:

Some people have a different visceral reaction to cartoon ultraviolence when it's a woman involved. I remember people being disturbed by some of the death animations in the Tomb Raider reboot

But considering it's Wolverine(s), and they grow back, it'd probably be more in the neighborhood of Mortal Kombat, which fewer people seem to mind.

I remember when The Last of Us came out there was a bit of hubbub about there being no female enemies in the game even though there was concept art for them in the art book. I believe an interview afterwards clarified that Naughty Dog wanted there to be female mooks but that they were cut before release because some people higher up didn't think violence against women in such a realistic game would be OK.

It's a very warped sort of chivalry, I guess.

turboedit: Laura said she wasn't old enough to drink in All-New, All-Different Wolverine, but that was years ago. I'm pretty sure she's supposed to be well into her 20s by now, even taking Marvel Time into consideration.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The general game buying public doesn't know or care enough about X23 to make it about her. Gotta know your audience. That's why they called the Kamala Khan videogame Avengers.

JordanKai posted:

It's definitely Sony-exclusive. But with Sony being so gunshy about abandoning the PS4 I figured there was a small chance for the game to be cross-gen.

If it's due after Spider-Man 2, which seems likely, that's probably well after Sony's dropped PS4 support.

site posted:

20 at best. She can't buy alcohol. Marvel characters only age when explicitly given a new age reference.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

site posted:

Yes but as I said my mental image is of her as a teenager (be it in the cartoon or in Logan where she is Smol.) A game wouldn't be adhering to comic canon and a lot of depictions of Laura are of a teen

If it was adult full-on Wolverine then it'd bother me a lot less. Same issue I have with Robin TBH.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I guess when we're already at the point of "I still headcanon her as a child and if they made a game about her the devs would agree with me" there's not much to say so I'm just gonna walk away now

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Also the only version of X23 anyone knows about is a child.

Comic book readers are a rounding error.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I don't much care for teens getting beat up, but hey if it's Jason Todd then let him have it Joker.

Don't see much issue when she's basically unkillable.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Aphrodite posted:

Also the only version of X23 anyone knows about is a child.

Comic book readers are a rounding error.

X23 was an adult in the hit video game Marvel vs. Capcom 3. :colbert:

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
The Wolverine game on PS2 that I think was a movie tie in was pretty bad rear end if I remember right so I'm in.

Now someone please get to work and give me my Hulk: Ultimate Destruction remake with current gen graphics so we can finally set things right.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

I worry that it hasn’t been stated strongly enough here so I’ll do it: if you have an issue with an adult woman getting mauled and then regenerating but not a man — you’re a sexist. That’s it.

That being said, I don’t really want to see this happen to any teenagers

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

site posted:

I guess when we're already at the point of "I still headcanon her as a child and if they made a game about her the devs would agree with me" there's not much to say so I'm just gonna walk away now

No, I am saying that outside of the current specific period of comics where she is nebulously "20 or below" the character is always portrayed as a child or teenager because that is literally both how she was introduced and how she has been more popularly portrayed. The Marvel (x) games so far are not set in any specific comic canon and in fact often do things that directly contradict the comics in a number of places. There's no real reason to assume Marvel's Wolverine would be based on anything but a Mixing Pot Of Various Things and if you're going to portray Laura in the game (which isn't out of the question) she's almost certainly going to be an older teenager at best because that is the 'iconic' version of the character.

A lot of it depends on depiction but if it's going to be a hyper-violent game then I'd prefer it not be focused around a younger character.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Sep 9, 2021

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Why is X23 even bring brought up. Nothing in that trailer says "X23 plays a major role here"

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

RBX posted:

Why is X23 even bring brought up. Nothing in that trailer says "X23 plays a major role here"

It's a Wolverine game and X-23/Laura/The Good Wolverine is probably the most significant member of his supporting cast who isn't named Sabertooth. The developer's Spider-Man game already introduced Miles Morales in the same game as Peter Parker and had multiple playable characters so there is precedent as well.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
the game is called Wolverine

as far as i know Laura has only been referred to as Wolverine and worn the Wolverine suit starting from all new wolverine, where she is an adult

maybe if if they were making a game called x-23 then yeah i would see how she might be a teenager still

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

site posted:

as far as i know Laura has only been referred to as Wolverine and worn the Wolverine suit starting from all new wolverine, where she is an adult

maybe if if they were making a game called x-23 then yeah i would see how she might be a teenager still

She has only been called Wolverine in the comics which, as mentioned above, are basically entirely irrelevant except as an idea farm and hold no real sway on the games to date.

Your argument seems to boil down to "Well we know they'll follow the comics" despite literally everything being contradictory to that. If anything it's more likely to borrow from Marvel's Spider-Man since they share a development studio.

Edit: Also I'd rather avoid serious gore because that would mean playable Honey Badger instead. :colbert:

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Sep 9, 2021

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

site posted:

She's been called X-23 since then. She had a series called that with Gabby. But she's back to Wolverine again.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

ImpAtom posted:

She has only been called Wolverine in the comics which, as mentioned above, are basically entirely irrelevant except as an idea farm and hold no real sway on the games to date.

Your argument seems to boil down to "Well we know they'll follow the comics" despite literally everything being contradictory to that. If anything it's more likely to borrow from Marvel's Spider-Man since they share a development studio.

yours boils down to "i, personally, still think of her as a child"

X-O posted:

She's been called X-23 since then. She had a series called that with Gabby. But she's back to Wolverine again.

that's fair i forgot they went back to that for the tamaki book

site fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Sep 9, 2021

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

RBX posted:

There's 2 or 3 posters here who can't let the word Wolverine pass by without saying "But what about Laura? The better Wolverine!"

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

site posted:

you're boils down to i still think of her as a child

In the current comics? No. The iconic and most recognizable version of the character? Yes, and I think you're going to have a hard time arguing otherwise. The same is true for a lot of superheroes, especially ones who have a movie or TV show to popularize certain depictions. (And X-23 had both!)

I am firmly in the "She is the best Wolverine" camp but I also fully expect for her to show up as X-23 in something not the comics before I expect her to show up as Wolverine aside from maybe an alternate costume.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

This isn't just a licensed game the way they used to be where Marvel was like yeah sure, whatever, go nuts. Spider-Man was the first time they were invested in making sure their games were getting the AAA treatment. Whether X-23 is a part of the new game is up to how much Marvel wants to push Laura. She's not as big to them as Miles but this would be another big opportunity like Logan.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Aphrodite posted:

There's 2 or 3 posters here who can't let the word Wolverine pass by without saying "But what about Laura? The better Wolverine!"

How is Michigan football doing?

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

BiggerBoat posted:

The Wolverine game on PS2 that I think was a movie tie in was pretty bad rear end if I remember right so I'm in.

That game was way fuckin' better than it had any right to be.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

ImpAtom posted:

In the current comics? No. The iconic and most recognizable version of the character? Yes, and I think you're going to have a hard time arguing otherwise. The same is true for a lot of superheroes, especially ones who have a movie or TV show to popularize certain depictions. (And X-23 had both!)

I am firmly in the "She is the best Wolverine" camp but I also fully expect for her to show up as X-23 in something not the comics before I expect her to show up as Wolverine aside from maybe an alternate costume.

i would say Wolverine Laura is the iconic one but most recognizable is the Daphne Keene version and she doesn't even ever go by the name x-23 or have any sort of costume and i mean, gamers are stupid, but i don't think if you told them wolverine is Laura they wouldn't get it because she isn't 12 years old anymore like she was in the movie. but also the movie Laura is in Logan loving died so i think the general audience would understand how she's connected to the name

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They'd get it. Then they wouldn't buy your game.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
I hope Wolverine likes deck building.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

BiggerBoat posted:

Now someone please get to work and give me my Hulk: Ultimate Destruction remake with current gen graphics so we can finally set things right.

It was the PS3/360/PC version that kicked rear end, made by Raven, and surprisingly free to do whatever I guess, since as noted Wolverine gets shredded and regens in real time and its pretty cool.

I would love to see a new Hulk: Ultimate Destruction game, I grew up on PC so I never got a chance to really play it, but I've heard nothing but good things.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Is there anything about PS5 being available to people at retail finally?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Just game trailers. I suspect it'll still be dicey since the semiconductor shortage is still an issue.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Tony Todd as Venom, very cool.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

JT Smiley posted:

I hope Wolverine likes deck building.

If there's a single card in that game it will be ruined.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Dawgstar posted:

Is there anything about PS5 being available to people at retail finally?

Maybe that's why they're waiting till 2023 :v:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The PS5 shortage is mostly from demand, not supply. While I'm sure if not for the chip shortage they would have ramped up production a bit, they're producing more than they did for the PS4 launch. The 5 is outselling the 4 over the same From Launch milestones. Scalpers are certainly a big factor there too though.

I read in another thread that Sony and Apple are competing for the same components, and of course Apple's going to win the larger share there.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

site posted:

ummmmm

what

Why don't they make Wolverine out of the same material as his pants.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

hiddenriverninja posted:

How is Michigan football doing?

Definitely not the better Wolverine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

So on Sony's blog Insomniac has a follow-up post about what they showed and the two details that stood out to me are confirmation that Spider-Man is single-player and them saying that Wolverine is still very early in development. So I wonder if that means it won't come out until after Spider-Man 2 (some were wondering if it was going to bridge the gap until then).

https://blog.playstation.com/2021/09/09/marvels-spider-man-2-and-marvels-wolverine-revealed/