Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

hmm... anyone have any advice for coping with pregnancy loss lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

what a great page snipe

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Sucks, good luck :smith:

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

lobster shirt posted:

cspam answer: post through it

For me, I find comfort in the statistics. Half, at the very least, end that way. Bodies just sometimes gently caress up. I'm a dude though so my experience isn't really that useful.

Sorry to hear :(

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

lobster shirt posted:

when we had our miscarriage, what helped us the most in the beginning was food. it's likely no one is going to feel like cooking meals, so quick, easy, microwavable food can be really helpful. set reminders on your phone to eat if you need to

unironically, seek therapy. it's a deeply traumatic event that society expects you to get over in like a few days, if that. i waited for half a year to get therapy and good lord that was a mistake

we had support from our social circle for a few months after our miscarriage, but our friends all stopped talking to us after it became clear to them that we were still sad months later. it basically destroyed our social lives and my willingness to put myself out there and make friends. i hope your social circle is more understanding

sorry for what you're going through, it sucks :smith:

e: i have lots of advice on how to cope poorly, most of it involves alcohol or weed

U-DO Burger has issued a correction as of 23:09 on Sep 9, 2021

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
man I'm so sorry. I don't even know how to empathize.

one thing that may be beneficial is finding a support group. sort of like PEPS but for miscarriages I guess.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

That’s awful. Sorry, goon.

Loucks has issued a correction as of 03:40 on Sep 10, 2021

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

well, getting my kid from daycare and watching him run around like a little toddler helped my mood. at least we have the one kid, we're still parents.

because my wife was relatively far along (start of second trimester), she has to go to the hospital tomorrow for a procedure to suck out the, uh, whatever is in there. her OBGYN said it would probably be too distressing/gory to just pass at home. thankfully she'll be under general anesthesia for that. this poo poo sucks man i would not recommend it!

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
We were lucky and miscarried around week 12-13.

Edit: Using "we" loosely.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
so sorry. I’d second leaning into your support system. at the very least you have the cspam parents for additional support.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

That's not fun. I know several people who went through it. The best advice I heard was actually to talk about it at work or somewhere with women age 40+. It's way more common than we think, but it's a huge taboo to talk about. But comparing experiences with someone who went through the same some time ago seemed helpful.

Also it's not a complete stop. You can still have kids if you still feel to it.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

lobster shirt posted:

well, getting my kid from daycare and watching him run around like a little toddler helped my mood. at least we have the one kid, we're still parents.

because my wife was relatively far along (start of second trimester), she has to go to the hospital tomorrow for a procedure to suck out the, uh, whatever is in there. her OBGYN said it would probably be too distressing/gory to just pass at home. thankfully she'll be under general anesthesia for that. this poo poo sucks man i would not recommend it!
gently caress man sorry for your loss. A friend of mine went through 3 miscarriages, one of them being a situation similar to yours. They joined a group that the hospital offered, for couples going through similar circumstances. From what I gathered, food and talking about it with others who have experienced it helped immensely.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

lobster shirt posted:

I am truly sorry. I generally have no idea what I am doing and very rarely feel like an actual adult but one thing that has helped me is actually let yourself feel what you are feeling. I think we get conditioned to believe we should feel a certain way with trauma and almost fight ourselves when we feel like we aren't feeling what we should be feeling. Also therapy.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
my kid's virtual school class did small groups and immediately some other kid called him a girl (because my son has long hair and kids don't know any better, much less by looking at a postage stamp sized avatar) but now my kid hates this other kid so much that it's comical.

"there he is. that's the one who did it." *points defiantly*

like we talked about how his gender doesn't dictate who he is and that what happened wasn't malicious but he is still salty as heck about it.

the best part is at no point did he say "I want to cut my hair." it was 100% "man gently caress that kid"

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
found this in the kids backpack today. having some real thunkfaces about it

Only registered members can see post attachments!

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

whoa Louis CK makes your kid proud to be an American? on point.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

lol zoom grudges that owns

speaking of, my child is insta-best friends with her classmate because they spent the whole of last year on zoom kindergarten together
really cool to see them be immediate best friends in person :3:
double cool that the kid had on a kf94 mask as well :coronatoot:

in not-so-cool news, SPS continues to spam out emails about covid safety, precautions, etc. - it's only a matter of loving time.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

I pulled my kids from SPS and am trying to homeschool, but I still get emails from their school because I guess I'm still registered as a volunteer. I got an email from their school last night that said one of the classrooms (email doesn't specify which) is now quarantined and will be 100% remote learning for now. The only email we got prior to this was that a student had popped positive a few days after their first day in school

Months of hyping up in-person learning and stonewalling remote options, only to go remote loving 6 days into the year. Good show you loving assholes :thumbsup:

e: I'll add that my kids' school is one of the poorest in the district, and so the building is super old and lovely. Not a good choice for pandemic learning. Not shocking their mitigation plans failed right off the bat

U-DO Burger has issued a correction as of 22:05 on Sep 10, 2021

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

U-DO Burger posted:

I pulled my kids from SPS and am trying to homeschool, but I still get emails from their school because I guess I'm still registered as a volunteer. I got an email from their school last night that said one of the classrooms (email doesn't specify which) is now quarantined and will be 100% remote learning for now. The only email we got prior to this was that a student had popped positive a few days after their first day in school

2 weeks in and I've received 0 communication on covid cases and quarantines beyond the daily dashboard. 38 elementary schools in the district, so they have to be feeling those staff positives

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

lol. kid is sick 3 days into our new "covid smart" childcare bubble with a few other families.

rapid tests are out everywhere, zero testing appointment slots anywhere, and doctor can't take us until at least tomorrow. plague rules.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Insanite posted:

lol. kid is sick 3 days into our new "covid smart" childcare bubble with a few other families.

rapid tests are out everywhere, zero testing appointment slots anywhere, and doctor can't take us until at least tomorrow. plague rules.

I do not trust any other families to do that correctly. it's just not gonna happen.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

I do not trust any other families to do that correctly. it's just not gonna happen.

we thought it was an upgrade, as our last covid pod involved multiple parents working in-person in schools.

testing unavailable across greater boston. lol.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

yep, a family we bubbled with a year ago is full open Biden. everyone got sick from daycare but it wasn’t COVID per the multiple tests. we wear masks in and outdoors now when we visit people.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Lol if your back to school supplies didn't include a pile of binax now tests

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

i have home covid tests on backorder from a few places, which makes this all the more aggravating.

it's just hard to get tests at all right now. :\

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

brugroffil posted:

Lol if your back to school supplies didn't include a pile of binax now tests

I hardly believe I could administer the test to my kindergartner or her little brother with better than 80% accuracy, which basically means it wouldn't change my behavior, so why bother.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

PerniciousKnid posted:

I hardly believe I could administer the test to my kindergartner or her little brother with better than 80% accuracy, which basically means it wouldn't change my behavior, so why bother.

Having given one myself to my two year old and having had to hold him and my four year old on my lap for their pediatrician to do it, you're not exactly wrong here! But of they're pretty symptomatic with something like a bad runny nose, it doesn't take too much to get a good sample per their doctor.

It did allow my wife to catch her infection that she picked up at her school quickly and then isolate/n95 in the house at least.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

one thing that changed with virtual school this year versus last year is that since we explicitly
opted in to the program, the teacher is super into making sure they're on camera and the camera is active. like it's an explicit policy now.

love to gently caress my kid up differently than other parents who are also loving up their kids.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

my kid has recently learned the names for some of his body parts, so we've been asking him to point to like his nose, his mouth, his feet, his bellybutton... every time he does it we clap for him and he like screams with laughter. extremely fun.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

lobster shirt posted:

my kid has recently learned the names for some of his body parts, so we've been asking him to point to like his nose, his mouth, his feet, his bellybutton... every time he does it we clap for him and he like screams with laughter. extremely fun.

Just wait til he learns names for certain other parts, then he will repeat it forever and ever

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Oh man, little one took her first tumble, lifted herself and nearly stood up on an ottoman near our bed out of nowhere and couldn't reach her in time and DONK, hit the ground head first :(

She's good though, eating breakfast happily with a slight bruise on her noggin but holy poo poo even that small accident was like a nightmare for the first time

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004
My son is doing the sleep regression thing now. He wakes up at 2 and won't go to back to sleep until 4. The toddler isn't doing much better. I realize I haven't slept a whole night since 2017. This is the real crack ping and I'm going to post through it.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Good soup! posted:

Oh man, little one took her first tumble, lifted herself and nearly stood up on an ottoman near our bed out of nowhere and couldn't reach her in time and DONK, hit the ground head first :(

She's good though, eating breakfast happily with a slight bruise on her noggin but holy poo poo even that small accident was like a nightmare for the first time

yeah my pediatrician told me if the fall is usually from their height then just kinda watch out for anything unusual after. mine was also on an ottoman and then hit head first on it and then floor I was pretty shaken but then front of the kids head is reinforced I guess but I still became extra careful

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

one thing that changed with virtual school this year versus last year is that since we explicitly
opted in to the program, the teacher is super into making sure they're on camera and the camera is active. like it's an explicit policy now.

love to gently caress my kid up differently than other parents who are also loving up their kids.

I’ve found that 90% of parenting is finding new and interesting ways to gently caress up your kid

Loucks
May 21, 2007

The Nastier Nate posted:

I’ve found that 90% of parenting is finding new and interesting ways to gently caress up your kid

I think the real challenge is doing less damage than your parents did.

In which case my wife and I are on easy mode given our childhoods!

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Greg Legg posted:

My son is doing the sleep regression thing now. He wakes up at 2 and won't go to back to sleep until 4. The toddler isn't doing much better. I realize I haven't slept a whole night since 2017. This is the real crack ping and I'm going to post through it.

I'm here for you. We didn't sleep through the night from 2014 - 2018 and it really broke part of my brain. I'd say it took almost 2 years for me to recover and not feel like a basket case. Getting on a good workout schedule was what really helped get my brain and internal clock fixed fwiw. Also buying a good bed for my kid so we could just sleep next to them comfortably and let the other parent rest.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

sonatinas posted:

yeah my pediatrician told me if the fall is usually from their height then just kinda watch out for anything unusual after. mine was also on an ottoman and then hit head first on it and then floor I was pretty shaken but then front of the kids head is reinforced I guess but I still became extra careful

when i was still a kid i read something, can't remember where, from a pediatrician who said something like "90% of the phone calls i get are from parents that are like 'my kid hit his head, the world is ending, what should i do' and the pediatrician is just like 'did the kid stop crying? is he or she acting fine? if so he or she is probably fine, kids are a lot more durable then you think' and that has always stuck with me. definitely helps whenever my kid falls and hurts himself.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

When my kid fell and hit his head for the first time I panicked too. He also spent a month in the NICU though so we are still PTSD’d over it.

Also it took nine years for him to sleep through the night and stop visiting while sleepwalking or being terrified of ??? and needing us to comfort him. He’s great now though, and we actually get to sleep in sometimes!

Now it’s just a matter of making sure he doesn’t do dumb poo poo like fall down the stairs or try to ride his bike off a homemade ramp next to the street.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Man I feel blessed as gently caress with my 2 year old. She's always taken falls really well, usually just gets right back up and tries to act like it didn't happen. She usually doesn't even cry, just kinda does a short complaining wail because I think falling makes her feel embarrassed? It's not an "I'm hurt" wail lol

She wakes up during the night but when she does she'll just go turn the light on in her room and then "read" (look at her books) and play with her toys until she's tired again, then she'll turn the lights back off and go back to sleep :kimchi:

e: on second thought she might actually be reading kinda. She recognizes all the letters of the alphabet and can point at and say most of them, and she does know what reading is (she's started pointing at the words as I read stories to her). So who knows!

Son of Thunderbeast has issued a correction as of 18:17 on Sep 17, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Loucks posted:

I think the real challenge is doing less damage than your parents did.

In which case my wife and I are on easy mode given our childhoods!

there's no way I'm going to break that barrier

if my mom was burned out for the day by 9:45 in the morning then she did a good job of hiding it