Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

SHISHKABOB posted:

It's not white savior at all. The Fremen are just there to be used, the story isn't about saving them. The story is about the intergalactic feudal system and the conflicts therein.

Yeah, his "savior" status is explicitly fake right from the jump.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YoursTruly
Jul 29, 2012

Put me in the trash
Recycle Bin
where
I belong.
Aren't the Fremen and Kynes the ones to save Paul and Jessica? Is Whites Being Saved a genre?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Still supremely disappointed that we were never given this.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

The United States posted:

Villeneuve pronunciation count incrementing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zq6_vQXRK5U

I really doubt the ~first movie~ of this adaptation gets that far into it though

SHISHKABOB posted:

It's not white savior at all. The Fremen are just there to be used, the story isn't about saving them. The story is about the intergalactic feudal system and the conflicts therein.

Doesn't matter. Clicks must be baited, agendas must be scored.

If Villeneuve makes a point of Fremen being pawns as much as much as Paul being swept away by history, that would be an excellent stroke.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Gonz posted:

It's probably better it wasn't. This looks like everyone making it was high on cocaine and the only way to enjoy it is to be high on cocaine.
Star Wars ended up using a lot of concepts and artists after Jodorowsky's version was scrapped and the world is better for it.

Wondering what would've been is probably more fun that what they would've actually made.

Automatic Slim fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Sep 8, 2021

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

YoursTruly posted:

Aren't the Fremen and Kynes the ones to save Paul and Jessica? Is Whites Being Saved a genre?

I don't know if dune can be properly summarized as a white saviour story but are some of y'all really gonna pretend like the concept is impossible to understand?

"John carter's life/freedom is occasionally saved by other characters, therefore . ."

Like c'mon, have some self respect

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Automatic Slim posted:

It's probably better it wasn't. This looks like everyone making it was high on cocaine and the only way to enjoy it is to be high on cocaine.

It wasn't even going to be a Dune movie it was going to be based on a dream he had. The designs were rad as hell though.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Blood Boils posted:

I don't know if dune can be properly summarized as a white saviour story

Oh. Well, it can't.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Gonz posted:

Oh man is this poster real, or fan-made based on what's come out about the project?

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Watch out for flyin dicks

https://twitter.com/CyberpunkSF/status/1260642855363776513

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
That's sick.

C-Euro posted:

Oh man is this poster real, or fan-made based on what's come out about the project?

The film never got close to a stage where it would need a poster. All the art on it is cobbled together from widely available pieces.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

C-Euro posted:

Almost certainly the latter.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Going all in on the Dali.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Yeah I was about to say, putting the flaming giraffe on the poster is a little too tongue-in-cheek.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Gonz posted:

Absolutely sick as gently caress poster. I love that there's a Bene Geserrit hidden in the contours of Paul's arm.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Gonz posted:

someday someone will make it in animation

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Automatic Slim posted:

Star Wars ended up using a lot of concepts and artists after Jodorowsky's version was scrapped and the world is better for it.

Wondering what would've been is probably more fun that what they would've actually made.
Wrong drug. Jodorowsky said he wanted to make people feel like they'd had an LSD trip.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

You can definitely read Dune as story of a guy being aware he's being cynically set up to be a white saviour and then deciding to earnestly go along with it.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Blood Boils posted:

I don't know if dune can be properly summarized as a white saviour story but are some of y'all really gonna pretend like the concept is impossible to understand?

It's a deliberate misread but yeah sure, if you go that way you can make any story be about anything.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Alchenar posted:

You can definitely read Dune as story of a guy being aware he's being cynically set up to be a white saviour and then deciding to earnestly go along with it.

My recollection is that Pauls overwhelming motive is avenging his father.

Automatic Slim posted:

Going all in on the Dali.

Like how there's just a disembodied dick floating in there. Like not even a phallic symbol, just a dong.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

sean10mm posted:

Like how there's just a disembodied dick floating in there. Like not even a phallic symbol, just a dong.

Becos dat iss, to me, da human being. One time which iss flaccid and timid, one time iss engorged and raging.
-Jodo

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzqdY3FTJkw

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.

bawfuls posted:

someday someone will make it in animation

Jodo's already made it into a comic.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2
I dunno, the effects are looking kind of cheap in the latest trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLWRqcVx0Cw

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!
Read over 150 pages last night after five years away. Forgot how palatable Frank Herbert's writing style was here. An absolute masterpiece of a novel.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Alchenar posted:

I think that's a great part of what is subversive about it. Leto II later similarly recreates an epically convoluted justification for "I will do insanely bad things...... because I am a great man who must make the hard decisions!"

It's not just about the "hero's journey" being a scam, but that Paul, knowing that, still falls into the trap of wielding the power. Whereas Star Wars uses its influences from Dune to ultimately have Luke make the opposite choice and just say "gently caress this!"

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

RestingB1tchFace posted:

Read over 150 pages last night after five years away. Forgot how palatable Frank Herbert's writing style was here. An absolute masterpiece of a novel.

Yeah, that's something that surprised me as well during my recent re-read. Lots of older fiction writing has a tendency to feel a bit stuffy and awkward to modern readers, but Herbert's prose is incredibly smooth and readable even today.

Another thing that struck me was just how understated a lot of it was. Very significant events and revelations are just kinda noted in one single sentence and then just not elaborated upon ever.

baalaagaa
Apr 9, 2004

The United States posted:

I dunno, the effects are looking kind of cheap in the latest trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLWRqcVx0Cw

Blew the budget on hiring every actor available & had to film 90% of the movie on an iPhone in an empty warehouse.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Thinking about Holtzman shields and their influence on sci-fi anime

Mainly it’s an excuse for melee combat in an age of laser guns

Holtzman comes up with several world-changing technologies

In Gundam they have Minovsky, who developed fusion reactors and also discovered a new subatomic particle released by fusion, the Minovsky particle

Minovsky particles interfere with radar, which gives giant robots an excuse for close quarters gunfights and lightsaber fights

Minovsky particles also made lightsabers possible

In Legend of Galactic Heroes, there’s something called Zephyr particles that combatants on both sides release into the air, which will explode if lasers are fired, so armored soldiers are forced to fight with axes

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Perestroika posted:

Yeah, that's something that surprised me as well during my recent re-read. Lots of older fiction writing has a tendency to feel a bit stuffy and awkward to modern readers, but Herbert's prose is incredibly smooth and readable even today.

Another thing that struck me was just how understated a lot of it was. Very significant events and revelations are just kinda noted in one single sentence and then just not elaborated upon ever.

Absolutely. Helps to know the terminology before hand as well. My sister and her boyfriend have both read it in the past few months. My advice to them was to not get overwhelmed with the phrases and names.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Alchenar posted:

I mean, he realizes that the Fremen Jihad will happen no matter what he does, so why not go all in?

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

RestingB1tchFace posted:

Absolutely. Helps to know the terminology before hand as well. My sister and her boyfriend have both read it in the past few months. My advice to them was to not get overwhelmed with the phrases and names.

I keep hearing people say this. My old copy has a glossary at the end- is that specific to mine or is that attached to every copy, just like the Appendices?

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

TheMadMilkman posted:

I mean, he realizes that the Fremen Jihad will happen no matter what he does, so why not go all in?

I have to admit that although I read the series numerous times, I still do not get his motivation for most of the time. I mean, if he wanted to avoid the Jihad, yet knew there was no way to avoid it, he was still wringing his hands during messiah, all the way to Chani's fate which he foresaw... by that point I just don't get what he was trying to avoid that didn't already happen?

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Hasselblad posted:

I have to admit that although I read the series numerous times, I still do not get his motivation for most of the time. I mean, if he wanted to avoid the Jihad, yet knew there was no way to avoid it, he was still wringing his hands during messiah, all the way to Chani's fate which he foresaw... by that point I just don't get what he was trying to avoid that didn't already happen?

If I remember correctly in Children of Dune it seems like his plan was to terraform dune into a green paradise, which would kill all the worms and destroy spice forever, thus meaning someone like him could never exist again, but his son convinced him that that timeline would lead to the extinction of humanity and that only his Golden Path could guide humanity to a future where there was no longer a risk of extinction

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Golden Path? more like... the yellow brick road! Am i right folks?

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Jewmanji posted:

I keep hearing people say this. My old copy has a glossary at the end- is that specific to mine or is that attached to every copy, just like the Appendices?

My hardcover copy has an appendices. Pretty sure it's more than a glossary. Like some house history and just some additional information. Not sure if any of my paperback copies do.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

AnEdgelord posted:

If I remember correctly in Children of Dune it seems like his plan was to terraform dune into a green paradise, which would kill all the worms and destroy spice forever, thus meaning someone like him could never exist again, but his son convinced him that that timeline would lead to the extinction of humanity and that only his Golden Path could guide humanity to a future where there was no longer a risk of extinction

Paul saw the golden path but would rather walk into the desert and die than become that tyrant.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Arglebargle III posted:

Paul saw the golden path but would rather walk into the desert and die than become that tyrant.

hes perfectly willing to let Leto II do it though

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

AnEdgelord posted:

hes perfectly willing to let Leto II do it though
He's not exactly happy about it, and I'm not sure he's capable of stopping him by that point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

RestingB1tchFace posted:

My hardcover copy has an appendices. Pretty sure it's more than a glossary. Like some house history and just some additional information. Not sure if any of my paperback copies do.

I know the paperback copy I first read (twenty?) years ago had at least a glossary, and the replacement copy I picked up a few years ago was (as best as I could tell) the same edition. (This one.) I've always assumed it was just a standard part of the text.

I'm doing my reread on my phone, though; it's easier to do when work is slow. I imagine the ebook has a glossary in the back, but I haven't bothered to check.