Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Phy posted:

Clarified butter is your friend here. Or maybe ghee? I've never cooked with ghee though

That’s what you wear to the karate place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

flashy_mcflash posted:

Seeing both Titane and Last Night in Soho tomorrow within 5 hours of each other! # blessed

I’m jealous, I saw Candyman in a theater today and it had trailers for both of them.

Also I enjoyed Candyman a lot, it had some flaws in pacing (at only 91 minutes I wonder if it was trimmed down by the studio) but overall it really worked for me.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Saw in the TVIV, surprised hasn’t come up in here.

https://variety.com/2021/film/news/halloween-kills-peacock-movie-theaters-1235060227/

Halloween Kills hits Peacock the same day as theaters. Hell. loving. Yeah.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

EL BROMANCE posted:

https://variety.com/2021/film/news/halloween-kills-peacock-movie-theaters-1235060227/

Still a theater movie for me. Will be cool to watch 2018 and then watch Kills back to back tho. Maybe toss the original at the top and make it a trilogy night.

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

dorium posted:

Still a theater movie for me. Will be cool to watch 2018 and then watch Kills back to back tho. Maybe toss the original at the top and make it a trilogy night.

That's my plan for Halloween night, along with the usual Trick 'r Treat and Night of the Demons .

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

moths posted:

That will hopefully be addressed in Mr Voorhees Goes to Washington.

Has there been a space purge yet?

I was going to make the same suggestion about Purge in Space. Set it on the international space station. At the end of the first season of the show they suggest that the Purge maybe coming to Europe

Where's my check Hollywood?

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Slither holds up.

thatfuturekid
Jan 5, 2014

Ambitious Spider posted:

Strangers:Prey at Night really won me over by the end. At first I was like it's ok, but more of the same, but is has some really great and tense sequences.

Saaaame. I was honestly getting a little frustrated with the film in the mid section due to the constant "How did they get there/how would they know to be there" slasher logic. The house setting makes it a little easier to digest, but the killers pop up in such crazy spots in this one it was driving me insane. Then the Pool scene happened and the movie gets REALLY loving good from that point on.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

EL BROMANCE posted:

Still seeing it in theaters

Also seeing Malignant in theaters tomorrow, but might cave and watch it on HBO Max later today too. The suspense from Everyone saying the third act is nuts has me more eager than I've been for a James Wan film in a long time, and another day might be too long to wait to see what all the fuss is about

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1436070435070873619?s=20

If we all counted Tom Hardy's version as a horror film, than I guess this is easily going to be a horror game.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Ambitious Spider posted:

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1436070435070873619?s=20

If we all counted Tom Hardy's version as a horror film, than I guess this is easily going to be a horror game.

Tony Todd is Scare Glow in Masters of the Universe Revelations, and that was pretty awesome

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Iron Crowned posted:

I just learned a valuable lesson:. Butter burns before it gets hot enough to pop popcorn. Now I have a bowl full of dirty looking but mostly passable pop corn

This recipe worked really well for me; you can add the butter partway through or after. Getting the oil up to temperature and then warming the corn for a minute before popping turned out great.

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures

Chris James 2 posted:

Still seeing it in theaters

Also seeing Malignant in theaters tomorrow, but might cave and watch it on HBO Max later today too. The suspense from Everyone saying the third act is nuts has me more eager than I've been for a James Wan film in a long time, and another day might be too long to wait to see what all the fuss is about
it's getting the kind of divisive reactions that make me more excited to see it. have a feeling i'm going to be in the positive camp but who knows

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

FoneBone posted:

it's getting the kind of divisive reactions that make me more excited to see it.

Same! I think I'd rather see a modern horror that has critics split than one they all seem to like.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
According to James A. Janisse at Dead Meat Halloween Kills is "disturbingly violent, on a level with Rob Zombie's Halloweens"

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Hah they wish

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
My guess is it won't have Michael slowly sawing a mans head off with a shard of glass but hey, you never know!

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

EL BROMANCE posted:

If you'll allow me a moment to talk about work, this is big news but there will be a ton of stuff to watch on the service to watch in October. There'll be Friday the 13th movies on loan from Paramount, all of the Chucky sequels, I think almost all of the Saw movies (minus Spiral and maybe Jigsaw) will be on there, a good chunk of Universal Monsters movies will be up, and several live streaming channels of horror movies, both family friendly and not. You'll get access to most of this at the free tier, but it may be worth throwing down $5 or $10 for that month to get access to all of that other stuff. (I think that Halloween Kills will be available "for free" if you're a $5 tier subscriber, but I don't know if it will be planned to include commercials or not at that level; easy assumption is that it will be.)

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar
Malignant is a good time. Reminded me a bit of Tenebrae.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Spermanent Record posted:

Malignant is a good time. Reminded me a bit of Tenebrae.

I feel like I'm being tricked into watching a film I'm going to hate, but dammit if you people don't know how to say the right things.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
I keep reading it's has inspired stylized giallo moments and is his bloodiest movie, so gently caress it, I've already got HBOMax anyway.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

loving damnit now i gotta watch a james wan movie i hate you all

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord
Just saw Malignant in the theater, it was… something. It didn’t occur to me while watching that it was giallo influenced but that totally makes sense - it’s very visually stylish, has an overly complicated murder mystery that doesn’t really make sense when you think about it, and the acting and dialogue is exaggerated and kind of bad. The killer even (very mild non-plot related spoiler) wears black leather and uses a memorable and unique weapon. But it’s fun and fully commits to its bonkers premise. I wish there had been more people in the theater with me, it would’ve been fun to see with a big crowd I think.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Kvlt! posted:

loving damnit now i gotta watch a james wan movie i hate you all

Just go watch that James Wan movie and like it

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

gey muckle mowser posted:

Just saw Malignant in the theater, it was… something. It didn’t occur to me while watching that it was giallo influenced but that totally makes sense - it’s very visually stylish, has an overly complicated murder mystery that doesn’t really make sense when you think about it, and the acting and dialogue is exaggerated and kind of bad. The killer even (very mild non-plot related spoiler) wears black leather and uses a memorable and unique weapon. But it’s fun and fully commits to its bonkers premise. I wish there had been more people in the theater with me, it would’ve been fun to see with a big crowd I think.

It's bad in a number of ways but absolutely worth seeing because it's so loving bonkers. I haven't laughed at anything in a while as much as I did at the last 20 minutes of this very dumb movie. I still don't know if that was the intention.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Malignant being worth seeing is not a plot twist I would have ever guessed this year

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

it dont matter posted:

It's bad in a number of ways but absolutely worth seeing because it's so loving bonkers. I haven't laughed at anything in a while as much as I did at the last 20 minutes of this very dumb movie. I still don't know if that was the intention.

I think it knows exactly what kind of movie it is, as soon as I heard the line “you’ve been a bad bad boy” like five minutes in I knew it was embracing the dumb

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

alf_pogs posted:

Malignant being worth seeing is not a plot twist I would have ever guessed this year

100%

James Wan knew what he was doing......

.......auditioning to take over for The Matrix series.

lol that loving movie is unlikely to be outdone in absolute craziness.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Titane is a real one. I don't think I could unpack the story properly if I wanted to, and I don't, but goddamn Julia Ducourneau knows how to shoot body horror in a way that you loving feel every second of it. When you walk out of a movie thinking that it made Cronenberg's Crash look like an exercise in half-steppin', you know you've seen something special.

If I have a criticism is that most of the coolest stuff, including a few sick kills and one motherfucker of a one-take scene, is frontloaded in the first half, but it finishes really strong.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

flashy_mcflash posted:

Titane is a real one. I don't think I could unpack the story properly if I wanted to, and I don't, but goddamn Julia Ducourneau knows how to shoot body horror in a way that you loving feel every second of it. When you walk out of a movie thinking that it made Cronenberg's Crash look like an exercise in half-steppin', you know you've seen something special.

If I have a criticism is that most of the coolest stuff, including a few sick kills and one motherfucker of a one-take scene, is frontloaded in the first half, but it finishes really strong.

This makes me very happy. I hope I get to see it at a cinema, but the UK release is in December so I'm not optimistic

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Lmao Malignant is so dumb, I really enjoyed it. Didn't expect it to be James Wan doing his take on Giallo meets Frank Henenlotter

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

LesterGroans posted:

Lmao Malignant is so dumb, I really enjoyed it. Didn't expect it to be James Wan doing his take on Giallo meets Frank Henenlotter

Alright that sounds fantastic, I'm in.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

:lol: I just finished watching Malignant and I was howling with laughter from the time the twist gets revealed until the end of the movie. I'm glad I watched that at home on HBO Max instead of in theaters because I probably would've been disruptive.

loving hell, that's going on my favorite movies of the year list. Definitely was NOT expecting that.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

at this point I feel like I'm being rickrolled into something

Mustached5thGrader
Oct 1, 2011

My mother won't let me grow a goatee.
Genuinely curious at how anyone saw Malignant as having a twist. I thought we were supposed to know from the beginning, but the characters didn’t.

It was fun tho

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I assume that malignant is just referencing a tumor or an evil tumor or an evil sibling that was born into the body of the main character that grew in her subconscious and that's how this all unravels

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Malignant was so loving funny. Holy poo poo.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Huh, I wasn't sold on Malignant after watching the trailers but the past few comments itt have made me really want to check it out so I guess I'll be doing that tomorrow.

Also, American Psycho remains one of the greatest horror comedies of all time. I know this isn't exactly a fresh new take since it's a beloved classic film that I'm guessing most people have already seen, but if you haven't seen it or are looking for fun stuff to rewatch this October I strongly recommend American Psycho because everything about it holds up really well.

Just gonna go ahead and post The Business Card scene for your viewing pleasure: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cISYzA36-ZY

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Yeah I looked Malignant up and it's just The Dark Half with superpowers? . Be a perfectly good thing to pop on Netflix in a few months

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

This thread made me think about Freddy in space and now I have a whole mess of ideas about long journeys and cryo sleep and I really need someone to make this movie