Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

E4C85D38 posted:

community management job for elementaryOS so insanely bad a few nerds I know got recommended this through google's assistant feeds, none of whom have ever used elementary and probably now never will. engagement algorithms: revealing the clusterfucks at the intersection of tech and social faster than ever before lmao

https://github.com/krisives/elementary-os-extras/issues/1

holy lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
Linux is System V fanfic

use a BSD if you want UNIX

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

that sure were some words

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
I recommend we rename templeos to Plan 10 and market as the successor to Plan 9

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

E4C85D38 posted:

community management job for elementaryOS so insanely bad a few nerds I know got recommended this through google's assistant feeds, none of whom have ever used elementary and probably now never will. engagement algorithms: revealing the clusterfucks at the intersection of tech and social faster than ever before lmao

cofounder refuses to stay in his lane, causes unnecessary drama. yup thats a linux

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
in addition to that elementary guy being really stupid about policy, he's also legally wrong. it is totally a thing in trademark law that a trademark can become genericized, but derived products using the trademark to refer to the product is not part of that process. if anything it's actually reinforcing the trademark. (trademark law does totally give him to right to object to using the trademark in derived product names, but that just gets back to what he's doing being bad policy)

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

E4C85D38 posted:

elementary my dear doxxin'

posting a public legal document in question is of course not doxxing, it's also the top result for 'elementary llc trademark' on google right now so lol

quote:

The USPTO makes this data available for search by the public so that individuals can locate ownership information for intellectual property, much the same way a county might make real estate property ownership information available.

doxxed by the USPTO :argh:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
my gamebox windows decided to stop updating itself again last year, and today it decided to randomly stop booting so i finally had the excuse i was looking for since ditching nvidia and nuked it

installed deb11 instead, everything works out of the box and the games run smoother lmfao. thanks, valve

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Nomnom Cookie posted:

cofounder refuses to stay in his lane, causes unnecessary drama. yup thats a linux

what’s funny is that he almost certainly could’ve achieved the desired result by bribing them with t-shirts and/or a flattering writeup on their official blog

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Agile Vector posted:

elementary my dear doxxin'

posting a public legal document in question is of course not doxxing, it's also the top result for 'elementary llc trademark' on google right now so lol

doxxed by the USPTO :argh:

he went to the qcs school of internet discourse, so it’s an understandable yet unforgivable error with regard to knowing what doxxing is.

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

"Life always hopes. When a definite object cannot be outlined, the indomitable spirit of hope still impels the living mass to move toward something--something that shall somehow be better."

Truga posted:

my gamebox windows decided to stop updating itself again last year, and today it decided to randomly stop booting so i finally had the excuse i was looking for since ditching nvidia and nuked it

installed deb11 instead, everything works out of the box and the games run smoother lmfao. thanks, valve

Proton is a godsend.

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

seems like amd finally got hold of some proper kernel developers outside of gpu dev

AMD Posts New "AMD-PSTATE" CPUFreq Driver Leveraging CPPC For Better Perf-Per-Watt

AMD Branch Sampling Support Being Worked On For Linux

AMD PTDMA Driver Landing For Linux 5.15 After Two Years In The Works

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

and, PREEMPT_RT finally is on it's way too, omg that has taken some years (upstream realtime support)

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

and if that was not enough, x11 has finally got support for having e.g. 144hz and 60hz monitors together without capping fps to 60hz for both of them

X.Org Server Adds "AsyncFlipSecondaries" To Deal With Crappy Multi-Monitor Experience

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

guess this was important too

AMD Has An Important Suspend/Resume Fix With Linux 5.15

and lets not forget that paragons in-kernel ntfs driver finally got merged too! no more slow fuse mounting

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

why are you posting phoronix links

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Captain Foo posted:

why are you posting

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Tankakern posted:

and, PREEMPT_RT finally is on it's way too, omg that has taken some years (upstream realtime support)

wow, preempt was a thing way back since 2.6. I'm really happy it finally gets into the kernel proper. Or at least a path to doing so.

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

x11 is not the preferred nomenclature

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

nice. hoping we can get epyc or whatever for our next hypervisor refresh

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Phoronix is pretty shite, except that it posts when something interesting pops up on a bunch of mailing lists and release notes that I can't be arsed to watch.

Never, ever, ever go into the comments, or look at benchmarks on that site. Especially not file system benchmarks, jfc.

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

Antigravitas posted:

Phoronix is pretty shite, except that it posts when something interesting pops up on a bunch of mailing lists and release notes that I can't be arsed to watch.

Never, ever, ever go into the comments, or look at benchmarks on that site. Especially not file system benchmarks, jfc.

agreed

most file systems on linux is tweakable according to what workload you're running on them, so it's generally quite difficult to benchmark those in a fair way

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
stolen from gbs. which one of you was this?

Ibexaz posted:

I was in the bathroom at the math building cleaning the gunk off a fresh tattoo that covers a good chunk of my arm. Some guy walks in and starts chatting with me about it sayin stuff like "Ah bro fresh ink?? Nice bro did it hurt at all? Yeah it can sting bro I like those lines though real good work bro. First one? Niiice welcome to the club bro! How long did it take? Six hours? Wow you must sit real good, I almost tapped out of mine. Check it out" and he rolled up his shirt sleeve and flexed and he had the word Ubuntu written in cursive on his inner bicep

Best Bi Geek Squid fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Sep 15, 2021

mystes
May 31, 2006

Lol if your linux tattoo doesn't say arch in a monospace font.

mystes fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Sep 15, 2021

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

mystes posted:

Lol if your linux tattoo doesn't say Xubuntu in comic sans.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

mystes posted:

Lol if your linux tattoo doesn't say fedora in a m’lady font

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

mystes posted:

Lol if your linux tattoo doesn't say Gentoo in Helvetica.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

got a theme for KDE that makes it look like CDE
someone asked me why i didnt just use CDE but lol gently caress compiling that myself

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

it took like half a decade of work to make cde at all compile with normal tools when the source was released, and after all that hbag still rejects it :(

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

it took like half a decade of work to make cde at all compile with normal tools when the source was released, and after all that hbag still rejects it :(

i read through a guide on how to compile that poo poo and im pretty sure it wanted me to also compile 16 different things first, which is far too much effort if im only using it because it looks nice

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

hbag posted:

i read through a guide on how to compile that poo poo and im pretty sure it wanted me to also compile 16 different things first, which is far too much effort if im only using it because it looks nice

looks nice? are you sure we're talking about cde here?

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

looks nice? are you sure we're talking about cde here?

i like how it looks eat my rear end

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

it is not even an interesting aesthetic like some of the competitors from the time.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I have a confession to make.

I like Gnome 40 more than KDE.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

paperwm was enough to sell me on sticking with gnome this go around, and enough to make me happy they have all the javascript junk enabling such hacks in there.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Captain Pike
Jul 29, 2003

hbag posted:

i like how [cde] looks eat my rear end

Why not use NsCDE, friend?

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

hbag posted:

i like...eat my rear end

hmmmmmmmm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

Captain Pike posted:

Why not use NsCDE, friend?

ooh nice
ill check this out

for context though the KDE theme ive been using is commonality, here's a screenshot from its store page