Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

jisforjosh posted:

can't have your expectations dashed if they didn't exist to begin with

In real news though

Hildur Guðnadóttir, the composer for Prisoners, Sicario, The Revenant, Arrival, Sicario: Day of the Soldado, Joker, and Chernobyl is doing the soundtrack for BF2042 and posted the main theme today

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FytcxmBT9Ls

Kind of digging it, it's familiar but distorted and dark. Much like our future

It's extremely hard to do the joker dance to this so I'm giving it like a 1/5 stars, sorry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

jisforjosh posted:

can't have your expectations dashed if they didn't exist to begin with

In real news though

Hildur Guðnadóttir, the composer for Prisoners, Sicario, The Revenant, Arrival, Sicario: Day of the Soldado, Joker, and Chernobyl is doing the soundtrack for BF2042 and posted the main theme today

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FytcxmBT9Ls

Kind of digging it, it's familiar but distorted and dark. Much like our future

Hahaha gently caress me that is bad

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Otamatone over fart noises is fine for the loading screen and initial menu, it captures the modern battlefield tone.

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames

Chronojam posted:

Otamatone over fart noises is fine for the loading screen and initial menu, it captures the modern battlefield tone.

All instrumental music is fart noises.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?
Oh god I just went through the soundtrack and got to the "Battlefield 2042" thinking it can't possibly that bad...

And then my ears started to bleed in the first few seconds already. What the gently caress did they do to the main theme?!

Yami Fenrir fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Sep 10, 2021

Loezi
Dec 18, 2012

Never buy the cheap stuff

Oh nice, I've been looking for the musical equivalent of "we have purposely trained him wrong, as a joke".

This sounds horrible. Sampled the first 11 seconds and from 1:45 to 1:52 and it feels physically painful.

EDIT: Gave it another chance. I now have -- not exaggerating, for real -- a rather bad headache.

Loezi fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Sep 10, 2021

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

I heard the soundtrack is what killed Michael K Willliams.

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames
It doesn't sound very good because we're not playing the game. Most game soundtracks sound like crap if you're not playing. Like Dead Space.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

jesus mary and joseph that is a sonic atrocity

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK

Charles 1998 posted:

It doesn't sound very good because we're not playing the game. Most game soundtracks sound like crap if you're not playing. Like Dead Space.

Yeah I'm sure that abortion will sound great while queueing for their battle royale mode.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Loading screen music used to be boss as gently caress.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0aXAm0jqd0

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Gonz posted:

Loading screen music used to be boss as gently caress.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0aXAm0jqd0

menu music too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0acN2v6aIc

also the loading screen music was just music from the era - canned heat, ccr, etc.

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames

Skyarb posted:

Yeah I'm sure that abortion will sound great while queueing for their battle royale mode.

There is no battle royal mode in 2042.

Baiard
Nov 7, 2011

it's good for you
I don't understand why they had to return to a worse version of the BF3/BF4 era of music anyway. BF1 actually had really wonderful themes too. It doesn't have to stay orchestral like BF1, but that theme just isn't enjoyable in or out of any game in my opinion.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Battlefield 1 soundtrack was perfect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8liRv8lITgk

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Compare 2042's theme to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFpHm8kfVa4

Hell, even BF3 theme is miles ahead of the new one and I may consider BF4's acceptable now.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
They really are being quiet about the game so close to release. I don't really know what that means, but the marketing decisions are kinda weird. I would be pleasantly surprised if it doesn't end up delayed.

henpod fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Sep 10, 2021

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Charles 1998 posted:

Says you. I drove to work this morning listening to Whirlwind from Shinobi 3.

In my mind I always consider Europe/the eastern world to be more civilized than us in the west but I cant get my head around their admiration for god drat EDM. Though I suppose :dice: would be Scandinavian wouldn't they? I dont really know which way they trend.

In short, all music for all BF games regardless of time period should be orchestral and no fart static

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

i changed my mind it's deece main menu music
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLOTIl4UEkI

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Going to mute the music for the first time ever in a BF game :ughh:

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

comedyblissoption posted:

i changed my mind it's deece main menu music
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLOTIl4UEkI

Conceptually I kinda appreciate what they're going for. It's an intentionally damaged and worn down version of the theme, mirroring the apocalyptic feel of the game's setting and creating a counterpoint to the triumphant feel of the original 1942 theme.

The trouble is that it's still a silly multiplayer shootmans game. I want it to feel triumphant and energetic. This could be a solid enough theme for a Spec-Ops type depressing story shooter, less so for a Battlefield game.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Perestroika posted:

Conceptually I kinda appreciate what they're going for. It's an intentionally damaged and worn down version of the theme, mirroring the apocalyptic feel of the game's setting and creating a counterpoint to the triumphant feel of the original 1942 theme.

The trouble is that it's still a silly multiplayer shootmans game. I want it to feel triumphant and energetic. This could be a solid enough theme for a Spec-Ops type depressing story shooter, less so for a Battlefield game.

Honest question because I turn in game music off most of the time; how often does the main theme actually play in multiplayer matches?

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Sometimes at the start of the match iirc

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

The best BF menu music is the first Bad Company’s lounge music that was mainly piano and Hammond organ.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxfABGBVojc

Bonus Best Battlefield Theme Rendition
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1xwU3Tkz30

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Sep 10, 2021

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Battlefield 1 medic question:

Can enemies pick up and use the med pack \ crates you throw out?

You can't revive elite classes, right?

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Blue Raider posted:

The best BF menu music is the first Bad Company’s lounge music that was mainly piano and Hammond organ.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4uWbhTXTHg

Bad Company also had an entire surf radio music to tune when driving around on a fuckin' golf cart.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

Xander77 posted:

Battlefield 1 medic question:

Can enemies pick up and use the med pack \ crates you throw out?

You can't revive elite classes, right?

Yes, enemy health/ammo packs and crates will heal/resupply the other team and correct, you can't revive elite classes but you can heal and resupply them.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

jisforjosh posted:

Yes, enemy health/ammo packs and crates will heal/resupply the other team and correct, you can't revive elite classes but you can heal and resupply them.

It always blew my loving mind as an elite that I didn’t pretty much immediately pick up a medic and support sidekick. It’s ridiculous free points, and a healed and supplied elite was nigh-unstoppable. As a medic or support, I glued myself to any elite I saw (except maybe tank-hunters) until they died, but I very rarely got a counterpart to help out.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

MrYenko posted:

It always blew my loving mind as an elite that I didn’t pretty much immediately pick up a medic and support sidekick. It’s ridiculous free points, and a healed and supplied elite was nigh-unstoppable. As a medic or support, I glued myself to any elite I saw (except maybe tank-hunters) until they died, but I very rarely got a counterpart to help out.

Had that happen on a round of Tsaritsyn where I picked up the Villar Perosa Sentry kit and had a pocket medic

the haccusation were strong

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

jisforjosh posted:

Had that happen on a round of Tsaritsyn where I picked up the Villar Perosa Sentry kit and had a pocket medic

Nice, my best ever was 53-0.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Back in the good old days the Cavalry was it’s own medic and support.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

VulgarandStupid posted:

Back in the good old days the Cavalry was it’s own medic and support.

Cavalry can still be pretty good on certain conquest maps like ballroom blitz. I went 33-7 last night just camping the horse and spamming Ivermectin memes in chat.

Edit: and I never play cavalry. I actually just hit rank 1 after 400 hours played.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Propaganda Hour posted:

Cavalry can still be pretty good on certain conquest maps like ballroom blitz. I went 33-7 last night just camping the horse and spamming Ivermectin memes in chat.

Edit: and I never play cavalry. I actually just hit rank 1 after 400 hours played.

I think they nerfed the armor when you aren’t on the horse. I used to run through buildings double tapping people with the pistol and following up with the sword. Got accused of cheating a few times.

I think they also nerfed being able to refill your own grenades unfortunately.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I cant even imagine an x-0 round, I think I went 44-1 on propaganda once with a skilled tank driver (forget if I was the gunner or driver actually). But I'm always running around so recklessly, at best I'm basically the ewok who takes off on the bike who's sacrifice at least lets his allies pounce on the confused storm troopers

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I always play aggressively as hell but if I notice I’m 15-0 or something I’ll start playing cautiously to see how long of a streak I can go on.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

toggle posted:

Do game publishers have to pay a license to tank companies if they use the likeness of an m1 abrams?

No, and also there is no American tank company that owns the rights to the M1 designs, it's a government design, built at a government owned plant.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

codo27 posted:

I cant even imagine an x-0 round, I think I went 44-1 on propaganda once with a skilled tank driver (forget if I was the gunner or driver actually). But I'm always running around so recklessly, at best I'm basically the ewok who takes off on the bike who's sacrifice at least lets his allies pounce on the confused storm troopers

My highest kill x-0 round in any BF series was on a Metro server in BF3 using the pre-nerf MAV to roadkill people and ended up 93 and 0.

Highest legit was like 74-0 on the launch version of Monte Grappa operations while attacking and just flooding the bunkers with grenade launcher rounds as a Medic and getting revived and resupplied by goons

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

jisforjosh posted:

Highest legit was like 74-0 on the launch version of Monte Grappa operations while attacking and just flooding the bunkers with grenade launcher rounds as a Medic and getting revived and resupplied by goons

I don’t remember the score, but my all-time favorite BF1 moment was getting into the bunkers on Argonne Forest as the flamethrower elite with a pocket medic during a big bunker fight.

I turned that round into Meet The Pyro, complete with me whistling merrily to myself while the entire enemy team ran screaming in the other direction. It was glorious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

jisforjosh posted:

That map is terrible for the defenders in general but god drat if it wasn’t great to finally be the one to pick that up. As long as you didn’t leave the trenches you were nigh unstoppable as long as you had loving AMMO YOU loving SUPPORT JUST GIVE ME AMMO OH MY GOD YOU JUST SPRINTED AROUND A CORNER AND DIED LIKE AN IDIOT gently caress