Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Carrier posted:

Lol this is depressing. I joined my current job 9 months ago and I'm getting paid £40k-45k (dependant on bonus) for an entry level tech-adjacent sometimes computer touching consultancy position and it sucks rear end and I've been looking to move out into more computer touching positions but those numbers don't make it super appealing lol.

Do you have EU citizenship? if yes come work in Denmark. We all speak English and the pay is through the roof.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carrier
May 12, 2009

champagne posting posted:

Do you have EU citizenship? if yes come work in Denmark. We all speak English and the pay is through the roof.

I wish! I do have some vague connections in some startups out of DTU etc. that I've considered looking into but I'm not sure I'm at the stage in my career where I want to be moving countries to work at startups with questionable viability. Copenhagen always did seem cool af tho...

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Carrier posted:

I wish! I do have some vague connections in some startups out of DTU etc. that I've considered looking into but I'm not sure I'm at the stage in my career where I want to be moving countries to work at startups with questionable viability. Copenhagen always did seem cool af tho...

create an llc or w/e you call it in the UK, contract remotely with Danish companies, proceed to rake it in

The only thing the people I work for care about, I mean beyond technical expertise, is that I can charge VAT. PM me if you want, I'll put you in touch with some leeches who send contracts

edit: copenhagen is hella cool and about half as expensive to live in as london

exe cummings
Jan 22, 2005

i have a third-round interview tomorrow morning that i'm very excited for. apparently i impressed the HR and execs, but i'm more nervous about the tech interview. i don't think it will be much LC poo poo but more along the lines of system design since the position is a 'senior backend engineer'. i can't recommend enough the 'Designing Data-Intensive Applications' book. it's like having the answer key to a test.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

I don’t know if I trust the UK government stats on computer money, I was easily getting paid more than that in London almost ten years ago. I’ve also been hearing rumblings from some friends that I still have there that a lot of companies are waking up and offering serious money to engineers for even some unremarkable roles, but I guess ymmv.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

about 10 years ago I looked at relocation to london and working out of the company's office there and they wanted me to take a giant pay cut [like 40% iirc] so I noped out

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

qirex posted:

about 10 years ago I looked at relocation to london and working out of the company's office there and they wanted me to take a giant pay cut [like 40% iirc] so I noped out

yeah when I was in London the word from management at the time was “don’t look at USA salaries, they’re in nyc, it’s expensive” which made me laugh because London is actually on par with nyc in cost of living. I don’t see myself ever going back unless some hedge fund or something drove a brinks truck to my directly to my door.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

qhat posted:

yeah when I was in London the word from management at the time was “don’t look at USA salaries, they’re in nyc, it’s expensive” which made me laugh because London is actually on par with nyc in cost of living. I don’t see myself ever going back unless some hedge fund or something drove a brinks truck to my directly to my door.
after expat taxation and increased cost of housing I would basically have been paying to work there

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

RokosCockatrice posted:

Check out levels.fyi if you want some total comp numbers for faang. Equity ends up being the lions share of comp with it being rare to see base going over 200. I think that's tax advantaged but :shrug: I'm a ones and zeros kind of numbers guy so I have no idea.

base is going higher, mine is 270 + ~60k bonus.

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008
https://twitter.com/chucktingle/status/1435280565691826177

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
wait, tingles doing a straight tingler? whats the world come to?

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

it’s called being inclusive you rear end in a top hat

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

I don't think we should include bob dobbs' rear end in a top hat.

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

Different strokes for different folks I guess.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

bob dobbs is dead posted:

wait, tingles doing a straight tingler? whats the world come to?

quote:

Carly Pimble hates her job at Cobbler Corp, and heading in for another day at the office typically fills her with a sense of utter dread. Today, however, is different.

Carly’s boss has announced that everyone is receiving a raise, and her coworkers are buzzing with excitement. The only catch, however, is they aren’t allowed to discuss how much of a raise they’ve received. This request seems fine, at first, but when Carly realizes she’s only getting five more cents a day, she becomes skeptical about Cobbler Corp’s motivations.

Fortunately, the beautiful physical manifestation of her coworkers and her discussing their salaries even though their boss told them not to quickly arrives and gets to work setting things straight. Carly is smitten, and as she and this sentient concept fight back against the unfair policies of Cobbler Corb, the erotic tension between them builds. Soon enough, Carly and this physical manifestation are locked in a passionate lesbian encounter that will exemplify the might of working together against the powers that be.

This erotic tale is 4,300 words of sizzling human on lesbian physical manifestation action and hardcore sentient concept love.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.

FamDav posted:

base is going higher, mine is 270 + ~60k bonus.

what the hell can one person do worth 330 a year

I'll do it for 325

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

RokosCockatrice posted:

what the hell can one person do worth 330 a year

i dunno ask your mom and dad they like my vibe

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

i humbly retract my offer

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

qhat posted:

I don’t know if I trust the UK government stats on computer money, I was easily getting paid more than that in London almost ten years ago. I’ve also been hearing rumblings from some friends that I still have there that a lot of companies are waking up and offering serious money to engineers for even some unremarkable roles, but I guess ymmv.

Yeah I don't know myself, but to be fair it's "all jobs England, Wales, Scotland, NI" which will be considerably less than London, particularly hot parts of London as I said earlier. Also it's based on ONS (office of national statistics for non-UK peeps) figures, but whether that's reliable YMMV.

e: I mean I'm making almost double of those figures myself, but then I remotely work for a company based in London.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Sep 9, 2021

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

i make £70k in northern ireland which is the lowest-paying part of the uk so yeah those stats are really really wrong

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Frankly I think those figures probably line up closely to the completely pathetic salaries the government pays their own computer workers, including the poor sods at GCHQ. I did an internship there for a summer, and my first job out of uni was private and I was earning almost as much as the most senior guy on the team I was working for in the donut. Government salaries are a complete joke, and don't give me that "gold plated pension" bollocks, it doesn't make up for being unpaid by like 3-4 times your worth.

exe cummings
Jan 22, 2005

I had a great third round interview today. flubbed a few easy questions like dependency injection, but totally nailed some difficult stuff and surprised myself. later when talking about an initial offer, I quoted 175k base to start negotiations and the HR person said “yikes!” lol.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

is there a trusted source for uk salaries?

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

champagne posting posted:

is there a trusted source for uk salaries?

I don't have one, I suspect it's tricky as there are really big variations by location/industry. Like lawyers I suspect it's bi or trimodal. ime (and from my current orgs salary bands, which they did put a lot of research into, it's something like this):

lovely non London Dev shops
Junior <£30k
Mid <£40k
Senior <£60

Funded startups and legit companies which take tech seriously (my current place, so hopefully this one is accurate)
Junior 30-35k
Mid 55-65k
Snr 70-100k
Staff 90k+
You can maybe get an extra 10 or so if it's central London offices.

Finance jobs can get way above that but is super role and company dependent. A decent one will pay double or more (including bonuses) the second set above. I worked two full years as a mid at a great place (not as a quant though) and made 100 then 150 total. I can't speak to what Google, Facebook etc pay, I assume similar to finance.

E: feel free to suggest edits, maybe we can make a yospos UK salary guide

distortion park fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Sep 10, 2021

Naar
Aug 19, 2003

The Time of the Eye is now
Fun Shoe
Here (Manchester) it tends to be £40k - £90k for most roles, senior roles being around £70k. For things dahn Sarf I've had salaries up to £130k quoted to me.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

im interviewing for some data-related positions - would be happy for some technical refresher materials, python-focused, for what is stuff code tests or pair programming interviews want to see these days. ive done applied ml or data engineering predominantly, so i dont really know stuff like fart sort implementation off the bat

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

Have an offer. Trying not to sign it before they answer some performative questions about benefits.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.
if you’re not very far in the interview process and the job posting disappears is that a bad sign??

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
better than not getting a response/follow-up and they repost it a week later

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

fourwood posted:

if you’re not very far in the interview process and the job posting disappears is that a bad sign??

it just means that they're keeping their candidate pipe full until they sign something, same as you should be

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

raminasi posted:

it just means that they're keeping their candidate pipe full until they sign something, same as you should be

i love filling pipe

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
For computer touchers at US companies with >500 employees, how many direct reports does your manager have? Manager being the person that is above you on an org chart, and likely not doing much, if any, technical work.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

my manager normally has 4-6 direct reports

he had 8 for a bit last year, and we were down to 3 for a bit this summer

he does no technical work and spends most of his time in meetings with other managers

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

15, in a nearly 400,000 person enterprise, all individual contributors

management here is a separate progression track from development, so people don't normally get promoted into management, just into reporting to management further up the chain

carry on then fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Sep 16, 2021

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

three jobs ago: 20-40 i don’t know the exact number. it was a high turnover sweatshop and i’m not sure he even knew my name

two jobs ago: about ten people and he was still doing technical work. he shortly promoted two people under him to handle the day to day managing stuff where each of them had four under them

last job: about 4-5

current job: 6-8

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

You are about to embark on a great journey. Are you ready, my friend?

CarForumPoster posted:

For computer touchers at US companies with >500 employees, how many direct reports does your manager have? Manager being the person that is above you on an org chart, and likely not doing much, if any, technical work.

6ish?

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

CarForumPoster posted:

i'm the most senior engineer on my team so i report to our director who has a number of reports but before that my previous manager had 4 reports iirc and that seemed like the sweet spot

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless
When I was a manager it was around 8-10 at my previous org. After their hilariously awful gently caress up of a reorg it was around 10-16 and was a mess because managers were now non-technical and many had no idea what their reports where doing..

When it was 8-10 I had a team lead I could delegate to and I was still expected to be technical. It was still a handful dealing with 10 people.

5-6 is the sweet spot imho

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
20 and he doesnt care or need to care about my existence

we operate basically like an open source project but w paychecks. real weird

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

CarForumPoster posted:

currently 9, the plan is to hire a couple more and add a level so as to have two smaller teams instead of one big one