Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Gavok posted:

If I'm attending an episode of Dynamite, how late does the show go with all the Dark matches and the Rampage taping?

about 45 minutes of Elevation, then the 2 hour dynamite, a brief intermission, then the 1 hour Rampage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

Holy hell. I just watched a WWE 9/11 video that has a (I think) recent interview with Vince. I haven’t watched anything WWE in probably a couple years. Did Linda get him an unlimited gift card at the local plastic surgeon or what? He doesn’t even look like himself anymore.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Father Time caught up and punched Vince in the face about four years or so ago. It was very sudden

Actually I remember him looking like death around the point Linda ran for office again and lost, which was 2012

DeathChicken fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Sep 9, 2021

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

ncumbered_by_idgits posted:

Holy hell. I just watched a WWE 9/11 video that has a (I think) recent interview with Vince. I haven’t watched anything WWE in probably a couple years. Did Linda get him an unlimited gift card at the local plastic surgeon or what? He doesn’t even look like himself anymore.

Charlotte Vince is unrecognisable.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

he's dying

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
He's a 76 year old bodybuilding, cocaine, and steak wrap with ketchup enthusiast. Every day he continues to live is proof that God is, in fact, mocked

Koskinator
Nov 4, 2009

MOURNFUL: ALAS,
POOR YORICK
Is there any particular reason wrestling last names with -age are so popular?

Adam Page, Christian Cage, Ethan Page, Nick Gage, Brian Cage...

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.

Koskinator posted:

good sound to say

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Rage in the Cage

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

Koskinator posted:

it's not just wrestling: Johnny Cage, Luke Cage, Xander Cage, Nicolas Cage, Phineas Phage, Millia Rage, Spock The Rock Doc Ock and wait what was this post about again

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Lunatic Sledge posted:

it's not just wrestling: Johnny Cage, Luke Cage, Xander Cage, Nicolas Cage, Phineas Phage, Millia Rage, Spock The Rock Doc Ock and wait what was this post about again

Windham Rotunda in a blood-stained sweater.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
WWE has been garbage for over a decade, especially the last 18 months.

But what are some good things WWE has promoted in the last 18 months? Bayley/Sasha? Drew's main event run? Lashley and the Hurt Business? Walter? Bianca (until SummerSlam)?

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
All of those and Cameron Grimes if we're including WALTER because that means it includes NXT.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Kosmo Gallion posted:

But what are some good things WWE has promoted in the last 18 months? Bayley/Sasha? Drew's main event run? Lashley and the Hurt Business? Walter? Bianca (until SummerSlam)?

We're getting that choose-your-adventure movie about New Day and the Undertaker, so that's something.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I was watching OSW's review of ECW One Night Stand 2005 yesterday, and I got to wondering: where does Kurt Angle retorting with "your mother taught me how" when the fans chanted "you suck dick" rate as far as talent responding to hostile chants go?

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013

edogawa rando posted:

I was watching OSW's review of ECW One Night Stand 2005 yesterday, and I got to wondering: where does Kurt Angle retorting with "your mother taught me how" when the fans chanted "you suck dick" rate as far as talent responding to hostile chants go?

It probably felt like a massive own for Angle to the live crowd. Watching back, it's not any better or worse - the camera caught the events of that night so I guess Angle wins?

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Gavok posted:

We're getting that choose-your-adventure movie about New Day and the Undertaker, so that's something.

i hope vince didn't get his hands on this, otherwise there will be a scene with the new day walking in on a naked see no evil kane with a 14" wallop

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Critical posted:

i hope vince didn't get his hands on this, otherwise there will be a scene with the new day walking in on a naked see no evil kane with a 14" wallop

Good lord, what a euphemism.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Kosmo Gallion posted:

Probably a hot take but the Firefly Funhouse match was some wild, daring poo poo and I had a lot of fun watching it.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Nah, that was actually really fun. Mainly because Cena sold his rear end off for it and let Bray poke holes in over a decade of SuperCena

keithy george
Jan 8, 2008

My hot take was that the Firefly Funhouse match was a letdown. Cool idea with cool aspects but the thrust was "How embarrassing that you've had an extremely successful career John" and Cena wearing an nWo shirt which was nothing to do with anything.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

keithy george posted:

My hot take was that the Firefly Funhouse match was a letdown. Cool idea with cool aspects but the thrust was "How embarrassing that you've had an extremely successful career John" and Cena wearing an nWo shirt which was nothing to do with anything.

The nWo stuff, I’d interpreted as drawing further parallels between Big Match John and the likes of Hogan, Nash and Hall, and how it was ultimately little more than a vehicle to bury homegrown stars and stall and ruin the careers of anyone coming up through the ranks.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

here's the explanation. John cena joined the nwo when that happened.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Also how management also had a boner for the NWO. I haven't watched it since it happened, but I remember they made good use of a particular Bischoff promo.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Does anyone have a breakdown of the pathetic WWE version of the nWo in 2002? I remember it being a revolving door where every single week there were people joining and leaving. Wasn't Booker invited and kicked out within a single episode of Raw?

Pitwar
Jul 19, 2008

Who's your mate?!

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Does anyone have a breakdown of the pathetic WWE version of the nWo in 2002? I remember it being a revolving door where every single week there were people joining and leaving. Wasn't Booker invited and kicked out within a single episode of Raw?

So it started with Hogan, Hall and Nash.

Hogan got a huge reaction at Mania, so WWE turned him face from that point and he left the group.

X-Pac returned and joined Hall & Nash, but Hall was soon released as Scott was always going to be Scott.

Big Show and Booker T joined, with there being a brief angle with Flair being affiliated with the group, but not a member.

Shawn Michaels was last member added.

Booker lasted a little longer than a week, but was (super) kicked out the group a week after Michaels joined.

An angle started with HBK saying Triple H was either going to join the group, or he would be against them.

Nash was injured for most of the nWo run, but made his return in a multi man tag match where he blew out his quad. As this meant none of the original three were involved, WWE cut their loses and abandoned the idea.

Michaels soon returned to in ring action after this and feuded with Trips, and the rest is history.

Pitwar fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Sep 10, 2021

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
My hot take is that the Cena firefly funhouse stuff was pretty neat, but a) it was a vignette and not a match and b) as with everything else WWE it ultimately led to nothing whatsoever and as such is a bit of a letdown in retrospect.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

My favorite little trivia thing about the WWE nWo angle is that there was an Austin/Rock vs. nWo handicap match and for about 90 seconds, we got the only in-ring instance of Hogan vs. Austin.

Pitwar
Jul 19, 2008

Who's your mate?!

Gavok posted:

My favorite little trivia thing about the WWE nWo angle is that there was an Austin/Rock vs. nWo handicap match and for about 90 seconds, we got the only in-ring instance of Hogan vs. Austin.

On a Raw no less.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Pitwar posted:

X-Pac returned and joined Hall & Nash, but Hall was soon released as Scott was always going to be Scott.

This wasn't entirely Scott's fault, as he signed with WWE because they promised him a limited schedule and they of course lied and kept him on the road all the time, where of course he fell back into bad habits.

Pitwar
Jul 19, 2008

Who's your mate?!

CombineThresher posted:

This wasn't entirely Scott's fault, as he signed with WWE because they promised him a limited schedule and they of course lied and kept him on the road all the time, where of course he fell back into bad habits.

He looked a mess from their debut at No Way Out. Reduced schedule or not, he was in no state to be back.

It certainly didn't help that WWE used him more than promised, but I think that just sped up him getting released for his issues, rather than avoiding it.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Pitwar posted:

He looked a mess from their debut at No Way Out. Reduced schedule or not, he was in no state to be back.

It certainly didn't help that WWE used him more than promised, but I think that just sped up him getting released for his issues, rather than avoiding it.

Yeah, it absolutely stomped the gas pedal on the issues that led to his release, but he also asked for a lighter schedule specifically because he knew what the road would do to him and they still hosed him over.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Am I also right in thinking that they did a bit just prior to Wrestlemania where Austin covered him in beer? Classy! (yeah I know stone cold covered lots of people in beer and it was great but scott hall was identified both on- and off-screen as an deeply troubled alcoholic)

I don't think the WWE NWO was ever going to work, if it was ever even supposed to. Austin didn't want to work with Hogan, and Rock was too over and too smart to fall victim to their antics on a regular basis (unlike the massive WCW midcard). In addition to Hogan quickly being turned face and Hall probably not being in good enough shape to be back on the road, I feel like Nash knew that he could no longer game Vince like he could WCW, so he just became Big Sexyless and stopped trying even at the things he was good at. Then there was the supposed affiliation with heel authority figure Flair, but that angle got unceremoniously nipped in the bud too for reasons I've never been sure about (Plane Ride maybe?). X-Pac, Big Show and Booker might have worked as additions with Shawn as the ringleader, but none of them really needed it, as became evident when they just re-debuted HBK again but as a face. X-Pac was gone shortly after, Booker finally became an underdog face again, and Big Show continued being Big Show.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

There was also the Rock promo that just buried all of them. It was great. "Honk, honk."

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

CombineThresher posted:

Yeah, it absolutely stomped the gas pedal on the issues that led to his release, but he also asked for a lighter schedule specifically because he knew what the road would do to him and they still hosed him over.

I can't possibly imagine why Vince "I have no sympathy for addicts, they aren't tough enough to handle their problems" McMahon would promise Scott Hall an easier schedule and then renege. Unfathomable.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Thanks everyone, I appreciate it.

And wasn't Hall on that medication that makes you vomit if you drink alcohol when Austin was pouring beer all over him? Or was that someone else like Jake?

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

I bailed on WWE during the Austin heel run so I wasn't around for spring 2002, but it's wild how much poo poo they were throwing at the wall before Brock going over at SummerSlam sent them in a newer direction. The nWo's back! Now it's not! Hogan's back! Now he's good! Now he's a champ again! Triple H is back! Now he's good! Now he's bad! poo poo, throw the belt on Taker, why not! Hey, Rock's back from Hollywood, let him have a run at the top before he bails! Ooh, here's Eric Bischoff! He's back...and better than ever! It's like they fed attitude era into an AI bot and then beat it with a bat

Pitwar
Jul 19, 2008

Who's your mate?!

D.N. Nation posted:

It's like they fed attitude era into an AI bot and then beat it with a bat

This is perfect!

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Thanks everyone, I appreciate it.

And wasn't Hall on that medication that makes you vomit if you drink alcohol when Austin was pouring beer all over him? Or was that someone else like Jake?

Yeah, it was Hall. I seem to recall that Austin was not happy with his direction in the company at the time and was taking it out on Hall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
During a mini program between Austin and Guerrero, Eddie said they wrote a segment specifically to test his sobriety where Eddie and Austin interacted in a bar